Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 09:17:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34040 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3630 on: February 26, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »

Harrie,

That's the way that I felt about it,too; at first.... I thought he was being seriously and ultraconservative wig. Until I found out that he discovered this shtick, recognized he could make it his thing, and just satirize the right wing, satirize, and satirize more.

madupont, I get that it's satire.  It's just not that funny to me, maybe because I can always tell where he's going, or maybe because of all the publicity the show got when it spun off (great expectatiions, hype backlash, etc.), or maybe because I'm only good for 30 minutes of it and I just prefer Jon Stewart. Who knows?  Colbert certainly isn't suffering for my not watching!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3631 on: February 26, 2008, 10:58:21 AM »

I thought the Coens should have said that it was an honor to recieve the Oscar from Marty...

Yeah, and it was weird how they didn't even say anything to each other as they walked off the stage.  You'd think Marty would be elbowing one of them, like, hey, this stuff is crazy, huh, or whatever, but no.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3632 on: February 26, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »

...but I also think that the Oscar host should dance for their money in an opening number...

Mark it Mandy Patinkin!! 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3633 on: February 26, 2008, 11:00:14 AM »

I thought that the Ledger shot was tasteful and not overplayed...

Word. 

Anyone have any notable omissions from the Oscar RIP reel?  Brad Renfro comes to mind.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3634 on: February 26, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »

I didn't, but he was in enough movies of sufficient notice such as "Apt Pupil" or [the Grisham one], didn't notice it at the time, and you can't think that the producers/director wouldn't have considered him, pretty big oversight, so it must be that there was some intentional reason for not showing him, so that's a head-scratcher, nice pick-up.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3635 on: February 26, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »

...that's a head-scratcher, nice pick-up.

Ooof!!  I just read the IMDB news page, and saw that they mentioned the Renfro snub.

I swear on CUTACHEK*'s cushion-y checkbook that I did NOT read IMDB this mornng before posting my above-posted post re: Renfro snub!!
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3636 on: February 26, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »

Colbert owns it now; but he's not likely to be an Oscar Host as a non-Jew.

every host except billy crystal and jon stewart has been a non-jew.  idiotic comment.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3637 on: February 26, 2008, 02:42:39 PM »

Law120b,
(well!, as Jack Benny would have said), I wasn't too sure back in the day when Whoopie Goldberg was dancing around there along with Robin Williams, and finally received her Oscar  for Spielberg's, The Color Purple, because I just hadn't kept that close a score-card about what anyone had to be.  It is a sure bet though, Robin Williams wasn't categorically perfect.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3638 on: February 26, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »

whoopie goldberg--not jewish.

robin williams--not jewish

bob hope--not jewish

david letterman--not jewish

ellen degeneris--not jewish

the black comedian, whtzisname, from 2 years ago--not jewish

and if johnny carson ever hosted?  not jewish.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3639 on: February 26, 2008, 04:52:46 PM »

on further analysis, if one goes back to the 30s, 40s and 50s, there were here and there a few other years of sole jewish hosts [there were also a number of years of multiple hosts one or more of whom were jewish].  the sole hosts who were jewish before billy crystal were [damn, i get nervous trying to open these envelopes sealed with super glue by those nerds over at price waterhouse!]--

george jessel

jack benny

paul douglas

jerry lewis
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3640 on: February 26, 2008, 05:57:26 PM »

I think whoopie is a practicing Jew, but point well-taken, and I was thinking DeGeneris is even though I guess if I had thought about the name I would've reached a different conclusion.

Crystal has done it like 15 times though (I know I'm exaggerating).
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3641 on: February 26, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »

the black comedian, whtzisname, from 2 years ago--not jewish

Chris Rock
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3642 on: February 27, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »

I think whoopie is a practicing Jew, but point well-taken, and I was thinking DeGeneris is even though I guess if I had thought about the name I would've reached a different conclusion.

Crystal has done it like 15 times though (I know I'm exaggerating).

Her maiden name was Johnson. Married three times, the third husband was named Trachtenberg; but, the name Goldberg comes from the Jewish side of her family, I remember hearing her explain this once -- possibly on Actor's Studio(?) but as her delivery in almost all cases is like stand-up shtick, one right after the other, and this was in line with her autobiographical confirmation of what the host was offering in comment, during which she joked about conversation with her Mom about not  being "negroes" because her mother had taught them they were Manhattanites from the Chelsea neighborhood, I just took the earlier comment with a grain of salt.  I can see where this was true in the era when she grew up. As I often had the impression that  we were living in a bright new era throughout New York City.  Then I discovered all that had disappeared by the 1980s when a new kind of  federal administration had begun.

I was very sorry to hear that her relationship with Frank Langella had ended because though it surprised me at the time that they got it on rather soon after the Ted Danson stand-up guy publicity, I thought at the beginning of their relationship that it was a real affirmation of her acting capacity while most of the public saw her as a comedienne. I consider Langella one of the toughest experts in his craft.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3643 on: February 27, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »

there are plenty of blacks who were born to a jewish mother and are therefore jewish, or were born to a jewish father and brought up jewish--which makes you jewish according to reform judaism--or who were ritually converted to judaism in some recognized rabbinically overseen manner, like sammy davis, jr.  whoopie goldberg, despite her last name, falls into none of these categories.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3644 on: February 27, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000155/bio

"My family is Jewish, Buddhist, Baptist and Catholic. I don't believe in man-made religions."--Whoopi Goldberg.

Evidently not "practicing," but "Jewish" in an ethnic manner of speaking, and not a theologian judging from the above quote, and I find her manner repellent.

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: