Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 12:09:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53057 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3645 on: February 27, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »

Peter Coyote "hosted" one year, but it was like there "wasn't a host," but Peter Coyote and someone else (Glenn Close?) were miked on a little off-stage set, and would look into the camera and say, "And now, to introduce the nominees for Best Supporting Actor... Miss Sissy Spacek" or whatever.

Anyways... Peter Coyote, if he counts as a host... Jewish?  As Tevye.

Not that it proves anything or whatever - I was just trying to think of recent hosts other than Crystal, Goldberg, Letterman, etc.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3646 on: February 27, 2008, 11:54:52 PM »

there are plenty of blacks who were born to a jewish mother and are therefore jewish, or were born to a jewish father and brought up jewish--which makes you jewish according to reform judaism--or who were ritually converted to judaism in some recognized rabbinically overseen manner, like sammy davis, jr.  whoopie goldberg, despite her last name, falls into none of these categories.

We all know that, don't we, my sister was Jewish through having three kids whom she then brought up  with mixed religious traditions and laws, and she wasn't even black.  Although I've known plenty of the kind of which you speak, which is why I said how it was when and where. Except that had been going on for years, for decades, at least in New York, and forever elsewhere in the world. Since she was "ritually converted to judaism in some recognized rabbinacally overseen manner", that made my sister a Jewish mother for 'two minutes'? (no, as long as it took to produce a son and heir).  But she used  my mother's money, her mother too, to educate her first born and second born daughters, and in the beginning as too many of us say, inspecting the intelligence of the child when she was all of five while my father and her grandfather were dying, I sat down with the little girl's father,and her, on the floor and made him promise to educate his daughter because she had a brilliant horoscope and already read in three languages.  He did.

Likewise, the second daughter had the benefit of the money my mother and her grandmother put aside, while my father apologized to his son-in-law for having not always the kindest although he certainly enjoyed the wedding*. (Sephardim employ belly-dancers for such occasions.)

And then he was dead.  We all put aside some things for awhile. When mother died on an Easter Sunday in a Catholic hospital, her son-in-law reneged a tad on the promise to me.  Promises to women are for.....(I'm sure you can think of a word that sounds good to fill in here.) But he got nothing, she(my sister) got her divorce, and they still talk to each other quite happily when they all get together for their childrens' weddings, one down two to go. The weddings are still dazzling. They go up on the Russian River, dance all night to the tambour out of doors, to Eastern European music, drink as is done at weddings, and so forth.  Next?

My distinct impression was that W.G's mother was Jewish, which accounts for living just short of the upper West Side for a little less expensive. It also explains the mutual attraction of Mr. Danson and W.G.   I'm a great believer in Natural Selection forever balancing  what is necessary for the human future.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3647 on: February 28, 2008, 12:00:28 AM »

And drats! I just remembered, I forgot to buy my Einstein T-shirts from Princeton Univ. Store.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3648 on: February 28, 2008, 12:51:34 PM »

i think we've just seen a piece of evidence for the proposition that intermarriage between jews and non-jews has bred a good deal more resentment than understanding and love.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3649 on: February 28, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »

law...I wasn't so confused about the resentment as about the promise he made.  At the end of the first paragraph, he kept it, by the third he had broken it.  And was this related to his Jewishness or to his patronizing attitude toward women?  (or perhaps he just wanted to make her shut up and go away?)

Also an interesting little interjection of sibling rivalry there.
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3650 on: February 28, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »

Some of you need to watch "Schindlers List" again

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3651 on: February 28, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »

LOL....and on top of that, she is reminded of Einstein because she was thinking of her Jewish ex-brother-in-law.  They are all alike, you know.

I might have misunderstood.  Maybe the ex-brother-in-law was also a brilliant physicist?  (Of course, if he was a brilliant physicist, he would perhaps have explained to her the difference between astronomy and astrology.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:03:55 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3652 on: February 28, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »

I saw Night at the Museum which, despite starring Ben Stiller and featuring Robin Williams and being totally predictable, was a lot of fun.  There was an "eh" subtext of Stiller's kid not really appreciating him compared to the rich bond-trading stepfather which I could have done without. Mickey Rooney played one of the older guards; and based on his appearances at the Oscars-TM and something else (Golden Globes?), I couldn't help wondering how many takes his scenes took. But I didn't expect much out of Night at the Museum besides background noise and was pleasantly surprised.

Also saw The Good Shepherd, which I thought was very good, maybe excellent.  Great performance from John Turturro (what else is new?) and Matt Damon -- not so much from Angelina Jolie (and I'm not a Jolie-hater by any means).  TGS is almost 3 hours long; but while I wouldn't say it flew by, it didn't drag, either. Looking at it as a mini-epic -- a 30-40-50 year span of American history -- the length of the flick didn't seem excessive.  It was scary, though -- as in, if this isn't fictionalized, and this is what our guys are/were doing and just who our guys are/were...well, I was just brought up to believe that the USA is the good, honest nation that doesn't do this stuff. Of course I got over that pretty early on.  TGS is well put together, a compelling story (to me, anyway), and overall a good flick.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3653 on: February 28, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »

I thought of what I saw of "Night at the Museum" as "Okay, so this writer takes a night-shift job at the museum..." and then you know, basically the subtext is that he is getting high or "lost in his imagination" or "scared," and appreciating the model of Sacajawea, or whatever, a little too much...so I thought it was a nice "high" concept for a film, but I didn't see enough of it to know whether there is really a weed/trippy alternate universe joke there that's fun for kids of all ages or not, but, yeah.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3654 on: February 28, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »

In other news I call bullshit on Will Farrell turning down 23M for "ELF 2" because it was the "number '23''," supposedly he got weirded out and they upped it to 28 because they thought he was playing a stakes game and, even after Favmo calls, he's, like, "I have to pass...," like you have to respect that on a numero-spiritual level. 

Fucked up thing is they could'a got him for 22M, but they weren't thinking in the moment.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3655 on: February 28, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »

And drats! I just remembered, I forgot to buy my Einstein T-shirts from Princeton Univ. Store.

All right will the anti-semites please stand down.  I threw in this post as I realized the previous was a waste of time  and I should have phoned the store instead before the T-shirts that I want are all sold out. I am not really into Princeton wrestling team across the front of my  shirts, or Princeton basketball team, or any of the sporting events although I want or have use for a Tiger notebook now and then.   I happen to like the way Einstein looked/looks and always have, at his various ages; as a kid, I probably had him confused with Albert Schweitzer doing good works in Africa, and as far as I'm concerned there is something warmly attractive about the man who is somewhat like Santa Claus walking around in his casual clothes with time to reflect upon deeper thoughts.

Apparently, none of the above  sanctimonious are psychologically aware of "projection" which is the point of my tale.

However, Law120b should not be embarrassed since he posts a format as it comes to mind of the variations in relationships of inter-relationship; upon which I chose to remark, "none, quite, of any of the above", for two reasons. All of my siblings and I true to our era, like the generations of our family before us according to their time and period, have integrated a great many cultural backgrounds and we like it that way. Secondly, monogamy has had little to do with it in a century that eventually became evidently  adapted to "serial marriage"; at one point, Law120b's description appeared fully aware that this has been the case for quite a while in Judaism but rather depending on which sex.

The pointed remarks such as the "ex-ness" of a brother in law are kind of stereotypical.  My brothers and sisters and I think of him rather as the father of our nieces and nephew. (who is probably aware of the difference between astronomy and astrology, although Sephardic Jews really have uses for astrology as well as the astronomic configurations mentioned quite matter of factly in their readings which anyone can look into and read if they care to although I'm now convinced that most others reading their own versions of "scripture" have long forgotten that they tend to overlook and miss the point of those descriptions which just pass over them or around them.

Every ancient culture has in common their own form of this science and/or art. None are the same. That could be a blessing, as it allows for breakthroughs every so often in one particular culture or another. I recall the parallel contributions from India by the Seventies.   Israel is one of the few places on the other hand whose University has an outstanding department in astrology as well as astronomy and which offers scholarships to non-Jews
when the indication is obvious that they have unusually astute perceptiveness.

Toward the end of the Vietnam war, one of the conscientious objectors, who stayed with us at home, came in one day from a quick trip into the city with a local attorney who happened to pick him up while hitchhiking. They had a good half hour of conversation together on this trip;and the attorney was so impressed with what he had heard that he offered  him a connection to apply for the scholarship in Israel.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3656 on: February 29, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »

weezo, you asked:
http://www.blackvoices.com/black-history-month/best-black-movies

It's my contention that the best-black-movie, and most do not simply agree with me, was the film by Speilberg, know as The Color Purple, in which Whoopi Goldberg played Celie Johnson, as written by Alice Walker.

I have some others but not that move me to tears; nor do I agree that Ms.Oprah, who brought on much watering up,after Spielberg saw her as naturally an actress(although I recall some of her first attempts at tv drama floundered), was the central character.  Strong, with many bad things happening to her but not the central pivotal character; that was Celie who was the victim of sexual abuse early in her life, and fell in love with Suge because that was who she would have liked to be and with whom she then identified.

I strongly recognized Don Cheadle when he walked through the door as Mouse, in a film written by Walter Mosley, who has another out soon. He topped that in, Hotel Rwanda.  I have not seen his most recent; have some catching up to do.  But I am not an admirer of Crash.  I considered it a substitute for the film that should have had the award that season when the "academy with all its members" was too chicken to be identified with a vote for: Broke-back Mountain.   This kind of thing was a great loss to Heath Ledger and Gyllenhael who were upstaged by this feel good movie for Los Angelenos who develop guilt about the thoughts that go through their minds everyday.  It is essentially a white peoples movie that black actors were able to use for show-casing their talent.

Terence Howard has not only made out splendidly as a result but has another release in another couple of months(besides his Broadway run); I do not recall if I posted the link on this. I had better search for it, as an up and coming movie that the British already know about. Quite often they get our movies late; and, then every once in awhile, they get what we don't, for instance a new Keifer Sutherland that doesn't sound wonderful to me despite his popularity.

I still delight in Joe Morton, as The Brother from Another Planet.  Among the many Spike Lee productions, will never forget the dance done by Rosie Perez who played his sister in the film where we discovered his dewy-eyed long eyelashes, although I never recall the  names of the films off the top of my head. 

I told people who became frightened when they saw Denzel Washington in, American Gangster, that in that case they should have seen him scare little Ethan Hawke to pieces in, Training Day; although perhaps,D.W. was more cool about being a "cold blooded  killer, as the American Gangster.

I had forgotten that Ruby Dee had played Walter Lee's wife in, Raisin in the Sun,until people started objecting to Sean Jean P.Diddy Combs for his lack of emotion and his New York accent when playing the same role as written by Lorraine Hansberry  who knew all about real-estate ruses because her daddy has been a lawyer fighting for open housing in the Midwest(Raisin is set in Chicago)parallel to her attending the Univ. of Wisconsin and then going on to teach literature at UWM Kenwood branch while writing that play.

I had never heard of her at the time until I sat in something like an automat one day in Manhattan and heard the discussion of three people
who were going to the 'try-outs' , while concentrating on my breakfast(?) on the way to my dance class which must have been up at Grahams because I was still living in the Hotel Paris.  The people at the other table obviously wanted me to hear about the try-out aspirations of the only  Black American among them; who thought of himself as "Asagai"the Nigerian Prince, for this play that showed up in the late 1950s when the Black Power  movement was in full march against assimilation.  Interesting to me was that before Kennedy was assassinated, the African Princes that I met looked nothing  like an actor going to try-outs because they were running for MP in their countries at home.

I'm sure that I've forgotten more films than most recall, they come back to me when I think about it.  Oh, yes, another Oprah owned it, but Thanton Newton stunned those who know, in Ms.Morrison's,Beloved. Then, there was Mr. Posey,(Clarence Williams III) the resort owner for the Black Elite, who had too many women; but, I've lost that title again although I read the book when we still had African-American Literature as a forum and that is where I first met qpowellx who possibly remembers the title that I've forgotten.

Nothing surpasses Williams appearance as Jelly Roll Morton in,The Legend of 1900;but, of course, that was not a Black Movie. It was a thunderous ovation to piano as it used to be played.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3657 on: February 29, 2008, 05:13:04 PM »

Before I forget even more, Who was discussing The Blueberry Nights in this forum?  By, Wong Kar Wai

I listened to the dialogue in the video earlier today and have to agree that the Visual is what carries this film about nothing in particular; although I have known bars with that aura and cast of characters who are inevitably all actors.   
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3658 on: February 29, 2008, 08:11:48 PM »

"Be Kind Rewind" is the best 2008-released movie I've seen, and is probably #3 in my top-10 of 2007 and 2008 releases.  It's pretty boring, with only 6 or 7 big laughs, but its boringness is part of its charm, with the basic joke working as one 90-minute not-quite-laugh.

It's unassuming, and nobody does unassuming better than Mos Def.  His character's entire motivation is to help Danny Glover keep his video store afloat, and MD makes you really buy it.  He won't get any acclaim for it because he doesn't cry or raise his arms to the heavens, but the joke of this movie doesn't call for that out of the main character, and it's to his credit that the joke works. 

This movie doesn't "touch the bases," which could be recipe for disaster, as with so many indie movies trying so hard to be indie that they become painful to watch.  "Oh, man, you don't like my movie because it isn't Hollywood formula...," but man, just because it "isn't Hollywood formula" doesn't mean it doesn't suck, etc.

"BKW" waves hello politely to each base as it drifts around it (e.g., its handling of the "love interest" facet of the story), acknowledging the base as a good thing, as an ingredient in these movies we're "Swede"-ing, etc.   It's not thumbing its nose at anything, and Mos Def steers the ship in getting that across.  Everyone else in it is very good too, from Jack Black to the neighborhood punk kids. 

Oh, and re: Mos Def, for an overlooked/underrated/etc. performance and movie, check out Mos Def in "16 Blocks", but not before you check out "Be Kind Rewind" at the cinema before it's gone... And report back as soon as it's done!!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:30:45 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3659 on: February 29, 2008, 10:31:21 PM »

Yeah, I read the interview of Michel Gondry in Onion and thought, this is a pretty interesting guy, where, it's not like, we want that M. Night thing, we want to be in the M. Night business, but more like this guy is a wack job and I totally like him, but "Be Kind Rewind" sounds like the dumbest idea for a movie I can think of, and his association with Charlie Kaufman made me wonder if it might be something that I don't get the way I didn't get "Being John Malkovich" where I only laughed when Charlie Sheen was on screen or when John Malkovich dances like you would think he would if he were making fun of himself....BID....anyway, good that BKW is well-executed and not pretentious or intentionally unformulaic either, one of the better jokes in "The Player" is that it's a thriller set in Hollywood and works on a number of levels in an unpretentious way, I always like when movie basically tell you that they don't care if they're a movie but watch this next thing...like how "Beerfest" works best because you know how the story goes anyway, like how "Pulp Fiction" is so cool that you are never emotionally invested in any character in any meaningful way other than the Boxing picture that Willis is in...the rest is just phenomenal construction and style, watched that one again the other night and it's just so good, as bad an actor as Tarantino is, the one about how he doesn't need to be told how good his coffee is even works, and Kietel, with "I know you boys have been to county so drop 'em, you know the drill..." and is enjoying it, PF is full of jokes, and if you watch "Taxi Driver" enough times as much as you think it's the grittiest alienation cold film when you first saw it in high school, a lot of what's going on is a strand of jokes told in a sort of fairy tale set in what happens to be a depraved and violent urban setting, killing time before Bill Maher and digesting steak and shrimps and scallops, trying to get my 12-pack on, the two Amstels at dinner left me somehow a little DRY.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: