Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 05:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40706 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3690 on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »

Well, I think it just became a must-see.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3691 on: March 08, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »

Genre-wise, I think this kind of past-fantasy satisfies the same basic craving as any other otherworldly genre -- it's a place not found in this universe and we're not limited by the fossil record as to what kind of craziness might happen.  So, I'd watch it as a popcorn movie -- if it were REALLY about a set of events in 10,000 BC, I can see where it might be pretty dull -- a Mesopotamian dude grows some grain and stores them in earthenware vessels.  Meanwhile, an infestation of rodents causes the village elders to upgrade the grain bins,  and experiments are conducted in the domestication of cats.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3692 on: March 08, 2008, 04:55:20 PM »

Harrie:  Meant to say I liked your Favreau lines, yeah, wonder how that went.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3693 on: March 08, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »

"...and experiments are conducted in the domestication of cats."

No, no, wooly mammoths, sabre-toothed tigers, grappling hooks made of elk ribcages, etc., I wonder if in 10KBC they were all burners...you would think that without TV, they would probably burn one and then laugh at the guy hiding up in the tree.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3694 on: March 09, 2008, 12:17:31 AM »

Harrie:  Meant to say I liked your Favreau lines, yeah, wonder how that went.

Thanks, jbottle -- couldn't have done it without Favs, of course.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3695 on: March 09, 2008, 01:57:03 PM »

Watched The Astronaut Farmer last night -- a strong ensemble, including Billy Bob Thornton, VA Madsen, J.K. Simmons, Bruce Dern -- well-told story in the old-fashioned sci-fi mode of the independent genius with a dream and the stubborn determination to assemble it himself out in the barn.  This kind of story can be hokey, but somehow this one wasn't and was, for this viewer, quite inspiring. 

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3696 on: March 09, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »

I watched La Vie en Rose; and now I've got to talk with martinbeck3 about it, if I can find him!

Meanwhile, if Jbottle is in here, since he has taken up campaigning with the rest of us, he absolutely has to hear this:
http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2008/03/09/style/t/index.html

(I stumbled into it, by mistake)    George Clooney cleaning up the dirt.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3697 on: March 09, 2008, 04:30:59 PM »

I like the spot, maud, but I don't see what it has to do with "the campaign."

10KBC did $35, meaning Roland Emmerich is still a genius despite the schmuck at the studio that didn't get behind it for summer when the kids are out of school and you can do a Wed. release.  I would fire that guy now, and pretend I never agreed with him. 

It means the film will limp to 100, when it could've done 180 and been one of the biggest studio films of the year.  Way to go suit, I underestimated by 1/3 and Gitesh was much closer with his 32 number...but I'm starting to get warmed up again.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3698 on: March 09, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »

jbpttle,

The only connection was that you've been posting campaign. (Clooney,of course, is supporting Obama).

I did pick up some interesting stuff this morning from Reuters,AP, and polls, to drop off at Campaign forum but got sidetracked gathering evidence for another issue which means they will be 55 posts ahead of me to read and with which to catch up.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3699 on: March 09, 2008, 10:42:44 PM »

Cool.  That's what I thought but it wasn't clear to me, liked the link.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3700 on: March 10, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »

FUR: AN IMAGINARY PORTRAIT OF DIANE ARBUS

Nicole Kidman stars as acclaimed photographer Diane Arbus in this artistic film exploring the inspiration that fueled her renowned work.

Start Date 03-10-08

End Date 04-06-08

Category HBO Movies

Sub-Category Drama

Cast Nicole Kidman
Robert Downey Jr.
Ty Burrell
Harris Yulin
Jane Alexander

Director Steven Shainberg

Year 2006

Rating R

ADULT CONTENT
ADULT LANGUAGE
NUDITY

Runtime 122 Minutes

I've been waiting for this! (Having noticed that Robert Downey,jr. was sufficiently creepy to have become Diane Arbus' reality check toward ultimate inspiration.)  I kept thinking that I'd missed this somehow amidst the myriads of other shocking events with which our lives are now rife.  Check for your local time zone scheduling. This may be one of the three really eventually important  experiences aka artistic triumphs  in the uneven career of Nicole Kidman  who has been misused and much abused as we can't even begin to image.

Actually, I think this is the fifth  to which I've committed any confession of interest.  After all, I went to see Portrait of a Lady because John Malkovich was. According to today's lights, I should have been attentive because there was Christian Bale and Viggo Mortensen.

Billy Bathgate, I've discussed more extensively, perhaps comparing it within the genre to -- The Road to Perdition (the thinking woman's preferred Tom Hanks; as well as the shocking revelation that Paul Newman knows how to be horrible person after conning us for so many years that he had turned into a theatrical saint).

Three years after, Eyes Wide Shut --afforded her the opportunity to appear on Broadway,because Arthur Schnitzler was a better writer for the theatre than Baz Luhrman would ever be on the basis of Moulin Rouge which lacked the reality of the prior original story filmed by John Huston.

Let's just say, that others around here prefer to discuss, The Others. I don't; but give credit where credit is due, Alejandro AmenĂ¡bar. Who, having been born on the eve of Pinochet's Chilean revolution, grew to bring us Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz as well as Nicole Kidman.

Of three films added to her resume in 1993, I prefer Lars von Trier's Dogville to Cold Mountain but, give honors to The Human Stain, less for her characterization than how it meshed with the lead performance of Anthony Hopkins as lovers and the outside observer,Gary Sinise as Philip Roth who wrote in memory of his friend Anatole Broyard(who had only sketched the indications in--Kafka was the rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir).     

I purposefully overlook the unpleasant character of Faunia Farley's unredeemable husband in that one,Ed Harris who went on  to David Hare's screenplay for   The Hours, just to annoy Meryl Street.  Nicole Kidman's role, in this bad idea of Michael Cunningham to rework Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, is upstaged by Miranda Richardson playing Vanessa Bell,Virginia's sister.  It was almost a losing proposition to put Kidman in this position, when you had Toni Colette and Julianne Moore freeking us out with the story of Ed "Richard Brown".  This you see was the Cunningham mistake to have Ed Harris playing the modern day patient suffering with AIDS while not mentioned on the other level as the love of Mrs. Dalloway's life.  Thank goodness, somebody saw to it that Eileen Atkins was in the all important Flower shop, since she directed the perfectly remarkable Mrs. Dalloway to star her friend, who is of course the mother of Miranda Richardson,Vanessa Redgrave.

I ponder what the hell Vanessa Redgrave thought upon seeing this mess reflecting parts of her life.   The original Virginia Woolf was a small novel about mistaken young love long held dear and then transmuted in the tale of the hero who went to the War to end all Wars and was never able afterward to adjust to the social order when shell-shocked.

And yes, The Hours was released on Jan.24th.2003, so a lot of us did not see it  except by the light of the attack on Iraq which we had still hoped was not coming. That made a difference in recalling the original character and why he killed himself; and, then, why the woman who wrote about him then killed herself.   

So, yes, I'm looking forward to Nicole Kidman as Diane Arbus to blow all that other Arty stuff out of the way as she shoots reality.   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:32:53 AM by madupont » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3701 on: March 10, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »

I mentioned the film here -- found Downey's performance to be the real standout in "Fur."  With this role, and his boozing journalist in Zodiac, Downey had a remarkable 2007 onscreen.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3702 on: March 10, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »

Liked him in "Zodiac," didn't see "Fur," is about to get PAID like no time before I imagine, for "Iron Man," I mean he has name recognition and it's a little bit quirky, but it still can't be cheap.  Kilmer probably would have done it, and Pullman would've been great, it's an "older" character in that Jared Leto doesn't work so, I mean, who do you cast??  Clooney will never do another comic book, Affleck and the guy that did Hulk are out.  I don't buy Wahlberg and he can't play "polished" that well.  So I like the choice, I just hope he wasn't cast because they didn't want to pay.  I have to think he made at least 12 up front, sound about right?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3703 on: March 10, 2008, 03:41:55 PM »

There's the possibly $4-6M you have to pay for insurance against substance abuse that they could've dangled for someone more trustworthy.  Crowe would've been fantastic if he could get in shape, Cruise was looking at it at one time but I think he's "too wierd" right now to put $130M behind. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3704 on: March 10, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »

I mentioned the film here -- found Downey's performance to be the real standout in "Fur."  With this role, and his boozing journalist in Zodiac, Downey had a remarkable 2007 onscreen.

How did I miss that,where and when?
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: