Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 02:39:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40590 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3705 on: March 10, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »

It went straight to video, basically, for being "too weird" or "too indie."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3706 on: March 10, 2008, 06:57:25 PM »

Well, between you and me, I immediately knew it was weird; but I also know the onus of straight to video.   You won't believe this though, over at www.nytimes.com, When I first got hit in the face with the Spitzers as the average American couple who end up on the front page,it took only 44 posts in the blog-responses for 45 to come up and say: "Shesh,Is this The Wire?".

Now they have to replace the governor  so they are calling for Clinton. No specification but I have to assume Bill, since Hillary is pre-occupied but that would ruin Bill's gimmick.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3707 on: March 11, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »

The IMDB is reporting that because "300" did so well in the same slot last year (spring break), that somehow 10KBC is a disappointment at 35 or whatever:  I don't buy it.  You have no stars, only CGI and high concept moviemaking, which is always a risk, and I didn't get the sense that they sold it like "300" either.  "Quest for Fire," a regular joke on the Tonight Show for what seemed like weeks when I first could stay up late enough for the opening monologue...they let me see Carson at that age, good folks, but yeah, Questy was paving the way for the CGI party, and it was like watching snails ****. 

I don't get the chippy, chirpy, snarky "run for cover" just because the studio didn't get fully behind a Roland Emmerich film.  "300" was somewhat of an anomaly and a big surprise that it hit, but when you have a Player involved, it's bloodsport.  In other words, if you make a shitty handheld black and white would-be horror film in the woods on no money your supposed to do a quarter of a billion dollars because "The Blair Witch Project" happened the year prior.  It doesn't work that way, naturally.  And just because you don't pay a star doesn't mean don't sell it, and that's where the blame falls.  Emmerich and Co. turn in a "B" paper and the news is like he flunked the course.  "300" doesn't create a new paradigm for "same weekend next year roughly similar fare or audience," advertising makes people go or they don't have shit to do or it's hot like kids during the summer.  Don't go all "...but '300,'" on Roland, hell he's the one that's creeping to recoup within a couple of years for you...something like "Lions for Lambs," now that SUCKS, and within tinseltown the perception may be everybody has their fingers crossed but nobody was blockbusting 10KBC, not in freaking MARCH.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3708 on: March 12, 2008, 07:35:15 AM »

And then there are the good, quiet -- but not too quiet, films worth checking out if you haven't as yet:

"Once" and "Dedication".  Billy Cudrup and Tom Wilkinson in the latter are simply great.

Don't dance on a volcano...
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3709 on: March 12, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »

Umm, that would be Billy Crudup...sheeesh --

Don't dance on a volcano...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3710 on: March 12, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »

We need more alerts here re the quiet films.  Thank you.  "Once" is the Irish musicians story, right?  It's in my queue.

No one can suspect Billy Crudup of working under a stage name.  Surnames like that build character.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3711 on: March 12, 2008, 07:48:18 PM »

I'm a fan of Crudup. Waking the Dead, may have been a first exposure but Almost Famous was unstoppable laughs and it is a close tie between that and Stage Beauty for his nuanced love affair with Ben Chaplain and awfully distorted rationale of discovering there is also an opposite sex.

Since it also presents the newer older Rupert Everett as King Charles that provides yet another slant on it other than merely having Ned Kynaston give acting lessons to Clare Danes. 

As if momentarily type cast, he pops up in Bob De Niro's The Good Shepherd,as a modern day British fop working for M (whatever number)but--as everyone knows, again it was John Turturro who took the risk with a  bravado completely over the top role as Matt Damon's "employee","secretary?" who investigates and then interrogates a Russian suspect, which reminded me overly much of a real case that didn't involve anybody Russian but in fact an American whose family can not get answers.   Why it was impossible for anybody to catch on that Damon was playing James Jesus Angleton is beyond me. In any case does anybody care to guess whom it was Crudup represented? There are lots of candidates who played both sides of the street while working for the Queen.

Also, if anybody knows the name/title of another exquisitely wrought character study by Billy Crudup, who gets in a car and spends most of the film there except for a brief visit to his Dad apparently to reach some understanding about fathers forming their sons' understanding of manhood, it's a disturbingly done role and I just bet Crudup was hell to live with for months and months and months before he dropped the character out of his psyche, let me know?

Oh, god, yes, sure, he reminds me, he looks like, someone I recall quite well, which is why Billy Crudup is always so attractive.  What happened to him?  He disappeared as he grew up but he was lots of fun while he was Almost Famous.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3712 on: March 12, 2008, 09:31:42 PM »

Another fan of Crudup, here, please see the Denis Johnson short-story adaptation to feature that is a loose collection of a rambling man's restless heart, a Rule of 2's with the Jared Leto Aranofsky drug one, but better if less celebrated, surprising after both played that runner from Oregon as if they were "running" for rule of 2's comparison with the likes of Ryder, Gere, and other more famous studio hacks.  Just IMDB it, I forget the name.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3713 on: March 12, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »

Jesus' Son? Samantha Morton is in that one. Cool little book too.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3714 on: March 13, 2008, 12:01:40 AM »

I started with the book, and I like the way they wove the wandering in and out without sticking strictly to a three-act structure, but it's still perceptibly there as it should be in a play or movie.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3715 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:49 AM »

Storm expected as Downey Jr ‘blacks up’

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,768,storm-brews-as-downey-jr-blacks-up-for-film-role,21150

"...actor Robert Downey Jr knows he is likely to attract controversy with his latest role. In the forthcoming action comedy Tropic Thunder, written and directed by co-star Ben Stiller, Downey (pictured) plays a classically trained actor who "blacks up" to play an African-American character in a Vietnam War blockbuster."

You can take a look in the link above at his makeup job and see what you think. As it is not nearly as heavy but nontheless plot driven as I saw last night in  Fur ... I'll abstain for the moment and let you know my impressions somewhat later.  Although I was chagrined to find nothing to compare with my own impressions, at either imdb or, the Manolha Dargis having a bad day at nytimes and in a funk about misuse of A-list actors by independent film companies. Sometimes the politics in the business become more important to the critics than the art; which must be a disappointment to the artistic production team--actors included, who are doing it for the art of creating break-through roles handling sensitive subjects.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:28:26 AM by madupont » Logged
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3716 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:11 AM »

"Hus du gezen in deine leiben, they darker than us. Woof!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3717 on: March 13, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »

I mentioned the film here -- found Downey's performance to be the real standout in "Fur."  With this role, and his boozing journalist in Zodiac, Downey had a remarkable 2007 onscreen.

Barton,
Downey and Kidman really had chemistry together! (which I don't recall seeing from her before)  I'd be interested on your views of this film but with the format  here it is difficult to search -- when  you did the post, in order to find it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3718 on: March 13, 2008, 10:42:47 AM »

"Hus du gezen in deine leiben, they darker than us. Woof!"

Want to run that by my German dictionary again?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3719 on: March 13, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/saddles/sounds/darker.wav
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: