Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 05:41:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40784 times)
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »

Greatest movie scene ever?  For everyone's pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5T3e_smFgk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:44:55 PM by yankguy » Logged

I hope your brother's El Camino runs forever.....
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2007, 01:41:20 PM »

When it Raines, it pours.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 23, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »

correction:  When it Rains, it pours.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2007, 01:44:01 PM »

This is what you get for rubbing in the "newbie" thing.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »

Capt. Renault is one of my favorite characters. 

Renault is one of my favorite cars.

I like a Renault, but I Constantinople.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2007, 01:51:55 PM »

I have the "Oh Danny Boy" scene from the Coen bros. being way up there.

I don't ordinarily think of "great scenes," which I suppose often happen in movies that aren't great as well.

Another example of a great scene (in a great movie) is the "put the stopper in the bottle" scene from "One False Move."  The look on Dale's face is absolutely heartbreaking, and the reason I love Bill Paxton to this day and will forgive him anything.

Now he got me thinkin' on scenes--the "I'm smart.  I can do things..."--scene in "Boogie Nights" was the moment that Mark Wahlberg arrived, again communicating that heartbreaking sadness, and why he is beyond criticism for me no matter whatever else he does, too.

I don't know, you can be catty about individual acting performances but I take the approach of "Well, he did ____..." so you know, he doesn't really have to do anything else in my opinion.  To be great in a great film even if you never repeat that act or get that caliber of part again is kind of a lifetime pass.  

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »

yank -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFNFHLMNBk&mode=related&search=

Or perhaps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueuauKKjPZI

I've always been fond of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LWMKl6vHjc&mode=related&search=

And...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQygwUBwnn4&mode=related&search=

And...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhlhE32SoXs&mode=related&search=

What does it matter?  All is grace.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: May 23, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »

I have the "Oh Danny Boy" scene from the Coen bros. being way up there.

Oh, yes indeed.  That and the scene with Lazare's thugs working Tom over:

TOM
Tell Lazare there's no hard feelings...

LAZARE'S THUG
Christ, Tom... he knows that.

You can imagine my surprise and delight when, while watching "Let's Go To Prison", the guy who plays the judge who sends Dax Shepard to jail is none other than the guy who says "Christ, Tom... he knows that" in "Miller's Crossing".  It took me a minute to place him, because that was 16 years ago and he's older now, but still, I was very happy to see him.

chauncey.g

« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »

ain't the greatest. maybe ain't even great. but i like it. says a lot to me. i'd say more but best i just hush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UluCCD6e8E0
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »

Another example of a great scene (in a great movie) is the "put the stopper in the bottle" scene from "One False Move."  The look on Dale's face is absolutely heartbreaking, and the reason I love Bill Paxton to this day and will forgive him anything.

Word, and I'd also submit from "OFM" (my 11th favorite movie of all time) the scene in the kitchen with Metzley and Dale's wife, ending with "Dale dunnt know any better, hay watches tay vay.  Ah rayd non-fickshin..."   I remember that got a big laugh in the art house where I saw it for the first time, back in 1992 or whatever, and the reason for the size of the laugh was the gravity of the situation and the wife's justifiable ambush of the LA detective.

As to the "stopper in the bottle" scene, I also liked how it starts with McFeeley (the black LA detective who had genuinely laughed off Dale's previous use of the "n" word, which got him an under-the-table kick on the shin from his wife) saying to Dud Cole (Metzler), "I like old Dale," and meaning it, and Cole replying, "Oh yeah?" and then going into, "You know what he said to me this morning?" and going into the whole thing about Dale wanting to join up the LAPD, which led to their sharing a laugh at Dale's expense, not knowing he was standing 10 feet away behind the lattice screen.

There's another nice detail, as we cut to Dale's POV, looking at Dud and McFeeley through the lattice as they chuckle at the notion of Dale joining up the LAPD, there's an out-of-focus Polaroid stuck to the lattice with a thumb-tack.  It's a picture of some kid with a mullet, wearing a tank top, etc., i.e., the prototype redneck, etc.  Not only does Dale have to sit there and listen to the LA detectives laugh about him, but oh by the way, you're a dumb redneck, etc.  

And you're right, Paxton's face in that scene is really unforgettable.  I always like it when the real guts of the movie is that a character has to face up to something he's done or something he is or whatever - Stephen Rea in "The Crying Game" comes to mind - like the "arc" or whatever isn't just the character getting from point A to point B, but actually facing up to what he did before point A.   Anyways, "OFM" certainly fits that description.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:36:02 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2007, 02:32:34 PM »

Or perhaps...

My favorite "Dr. Strangelove" scenes are the ones with George C. Scott, obviously, but also the ones with Sterling Hayden and Peter Sellers as Mandrake.  And it's not just because of the "precious bodily fluids" speech, which is great, but rather the whole idea that Mandrake is this normal nice guy who knows he's the only one who knows what General Ripper is doing and how insane he is, and that he's already a fish out of water as an Englishman in America only makes it funnier as he tries to figure out how to stop it, treating Mandrake with kid gloves as he tries to get the code to call back the planes.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2007, 02:37:16 PM »

ain't the greatest. maybe ain't even great. but i like it. says a lot to me. i'd say more but best i just hush.

I liked "Seven". 

And while he toned down the "Fincher" and it was admittedly kind of boring and way too long, for some reason I really liked "Zodiac" a lot.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2007, 05:50:24 PM »

Good ones, whisqe, for some reason even though I'm a professed fan of noir, I've never seen "The Third Man," and you remind me that I need to see "Sunset Blvd." again...

Oil, how was LGTP, in terms of (a) was it funny, and does it seem like Bob O. can make more movies from a competency level.  It's in my ququeuequ at Netflix, so I guess I'll see it after I get around to watching "Smoking Aces" and "Kill Me Again," which I haven't seen in a very long time.

The look on Paxton face especially when he cheerfully tries to put on a smile "Ayyyy boys..." even though he is painfully and obviously hurt not only rings true to the character and to people, but is just painful to watch, especially since, in addition to the photo (I had forgotten about that), they become aware of his presence because he is essentially stealing a Snicker's bar.  I think the black detective says "Dale, we didn't mean..."  and he interrupts cheerfully makes his departure.  It's a well-constructed scene that's about not only Dale's lack of sophistication and lack of appreciation of the threat, but also a lesson to the LA cops on how small towns work (there aren't many places to be), and all the "pee off the porch" goodwill that Dale had shown them is squandered, and they feel awful too, but it's a necessary moment that leads Dale to "get wise," or wiser, and we get to the payoff scene of "You pull the trigger..." that probably Dale wouldn't have gotten to without the way the threat grows.  Although the first scene is as violent and depressing as can be imagined, the flatness of it, really basic and grim, it does create the dramatic irony (I think) that makes us worried about Dale from the beginning.  I wish BBT and Epperson would write another crime thriller for me.  It's such a well-constructed screenplay that you just wonder and wait for somebody to do that kind of thing again. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2007, 08:06:14 PM »

Hey, there.  I'm on semi-not really-vacation, doing my part to set back North-South relations oh, 150 years or so.  And I'm on dial-up, so I can't check out any of the video links or make links either.  Well, I could, but I'd be here forever, and I have to get back to riling up these people.  So if I've duplicated anything, my apologies. 

I love the Marseilles clip, which I'm guessing was the first submission -- I've seen that probably a hundred times, and still get goosebumps. 

Also....

Stalag 17, where they throw Mr. Phelps out in the yard at the end and we hear what happens to him while watching the mixture of disgust, satisfaction, hate, etc. on the faces of the prisoners. Or just about any scene from that flick, like the shadow of the light cord on the wall when Holden figures things out -- that movie's one of my all-time favorites. 

Notorious, the look on (sigh) Claude Rains' face when Cary Grant says "No, you can't ride along" -- and then the view of the long walk back to the mansion with evil mama and the henchmen all illuminated in the open doorway. And the look on Claude Rains' face.  And then the view of the long walk back....well, you know what I mean. 

Jaws, the saltine scene.  Actually I have to thank oilcan and/or jbottle for turning me on to the amount of nuance in this scene -- I always figured he was just eating crackers. 

There's gotta be more, but that's it off the top of my head.

Hey, did you know Ambrose Bierce was shot in the head at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, yet survived to write all those freaky stories?  And one of our future presidents  -- Buchanan? -- sat out the battle with a severe case of poison ivy.  Well, at least he didn't have Daddy get him a cushy reserves job.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »

If you and the husband are on Hilton Head Island, I will purchase you dinner, otherwise, enjoy the coast, or the South, and remember that we hate Federalism more than Democrats because many of us are tried and true.  I think you would enjoy Charleston, SC, if you were visiting the Cack (South Cackalackey vs. North Cack), many nice restaurants and Sullivan's Island is a great beach.

If you have about 800K laying around, great time to purchase a getaway home:  Jbottle wishing he did have it. 

Congrats to vacationing and remember that no vacation is complete without hats of some ethnic variety, even trucker, and Tequila.  Cheers.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: