Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 06:19:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34309 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3765 on: March 19, 2008, 05:35:12 PM »

Yeah, and it tanked, but it looks like a guilty pleasure--it's from the guy who made "The Descent," a talent no doubt, but I don't know why they didn't pay a star even if Lance Henriksen is a bad guy or something.  You don't have a video game, it's not "horror," but apocalyptic, so we are supposed to think kids know about "Mad Max"??  They should, but I don't get how you sell it so I get why it gets dumped in March, but really, how hard is it do "add star."  Your downside increases by $5M but your upside improves by $30M, but anyway.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3766 on: March 19, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »

Maybe Rhona is a star in the UK?  For all I know, Ms. Mitra forms longer lines than the star (Cillian M.) in 28 Days Later. 

My son, who was in London a couple months ago, says that a few days in London will make you believe in a whole British Virus genre -- his attempts to describe the crowding and resulting organic effluvium were highly amusing -- I don't think I can do justice to them here.  I remember London had a sort of collective BO when I was there back in the 80s.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3767 on: March 19, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »

The last time I was in london my sister and I found a canadian bar, we were staying at a nice hotel, and it was actually charming the way the street urchins chatted her up in the Dickensian sense, and a non-threatening way, I liked the hoodlum nightlife in london then, it seemed harmless, we didn't have more than a couple hundred each and we would've rendered it, but they were razzing her because she looks ok...I like London...we ended up at the venerable old hotel that was more affordable in the day and drinking with the staff in this beautiful room, two bartenders, me and my sister, who seemed to be humoring us even as they were courteous, even though we were the last customers and surely they wanted to go home.  As a metropolis, it may have changed, but you can kinda walk the street with a buzz on as a foreigner, and that was the general take, we were allowed to gethammered with people who were willing to play along, but the dollar has fallen, so it's far less attractive today, these were the Clinton years, after all, and they were always surprised when an american paid attention to ordinary courtesy, like, where are y'all from, with the intelligence of kids who had been to college, we felt welcomed, for the most part, but the dollar has fallen, and I don't particularly want to go to "Europe," or london, when the dough don't go too far, and when, our president is an asshole, but there was a time when you could be respected for talking right, I guess, and they were sweet to us as drunk, fun kids.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3768 on: March 19, 2008, 10:51:48 PM »

So I saw American Psycho in its entirety for the first time -- great flick.   I'm confused, though.  I took the ending to mean that all the murders were in Patrick Bateman's head.  Then I talked about the flick with someone who read the book and hadn't seen the movie; so now I'm wondering if it really was all Bateman's imagination or not.  In either case, American Psycho provides a heaping pile of disdain for the '80s and that era's attendant materialism, and "appearance as everything, the only thing" point of view -- which, sadly, still applies today.  The kind of sad part is, they were able to show up the '80s for their shallowness pretty much by portraying it exceptionally accurately, with not that much exaggeration; the director nailed the 80s look and feel of the movie (signed, One Who Knows). 

If you're squeamish, don't write off American Psycho, though; at a certain point, I started laughing hysterically at the murders -- there's just so much over the top gore that you (or at least I) can't take it seriously. And Christian Bale alone is worth watching.  Really, really good flick, I'd watch it a few  more times to get absolutely everything out of it.

Also saw Big Daddy (Adam Sandler). Okay, there wasn't exactly a gun being held to my head, but I was trying to be polite.  It wasn't so horribly bad that I had to completely ignore it; and Steve Buscemi was in it, so it wasn't a total loss. Still, I think I got everything out of it there is to get. An Adam Sandler cinematic exercise, not the most offensive one of them. 

Saw 300 -- sort of freakishly cartoony, just a little more CGI than I'm accustomed to. It was weird, but I kind of liked it, especially the freak show that was Xerxes' army. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:11:24 AM by harrie » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3769 on: March 20, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »

Jbot, good London memoir -- I seem to recall being ID'd as "Canadian" when I manifested basic courtesy and half a brain.

I have to see Am. Psycho again.  I recall Phil Collins being skewered along the way, too. 

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3770 on: March 20, 2008, 11:59:09 AM »

Harrie,

I must have been pretty spaced out by the time that I read your post and then this morning it clicked.  I first read this Brett Easton Ellis up in my apartment at the "Amy house" when she handed it to me and asked what I thought of it?  (If her rep or agent had sent it to her, I don't know?) They must have been thinking about the casting of this for production but ye gads this was about 7 years before it was eventually released.

So this morning, I go looking, thinking "am I missing something here?" as she had just finished with School Ties, and there is no Chris Bale, of course not, she's got Ben Affleck and Matt Damon and the rest of an all male cast, some memorable talents, others a waste of time;but no Christian Bale.

Yet, eventually I saw the movie, although the book was not fun to read(despite the fact that I have been asked over and over again by the type of guy going through rehab because he would like to express his violent side, over at nytimes. com and They also like the war in Iraq. But here's the problem, they live in sensible countries which did not choose to put the book in the local urbane libraries and this frets the guy in rehab even more.  We still have people like that around here in these forums/ or,the venue, by the way.

What he wanted to know was what was so bad about the book that the obvious happened? I said, we had no problem obtaining the book down here, where it was apparently sold everywhere and was available from the Witherspoon Street Library--the local public Princeton library as well as other boro libraries in New Jersey.  Then he says, I will come after you with my chain saw, and I said,"yeah, and I will have it wrapped around your neck by a guy from Brighton Beach.").

Other than that I had the same take on the movie as you did, exactly. I just didn't have patience reading it in print.  And very possibly, this sport from Toronto(who actually had been a forest-ranger now retired) had "forgotten" to return books and they tore up his library card while he was under the influence?   I thought back on some of his other nonsense posts when I first posted at nytimes,about the year American Psycho was released, the non-sequitur tough guy put-ons while he was learning to communicate with the East Coast of the US; and all I can say is it takes more years of rehab than anybody can imagine to dry these guys out, change their prescriptions, and run them through psycho-therapy.

We have one now like that who is posing as Bale's character's profession, more or less, but since he spends most of the day ranting about the political spectrum which is now down to one-third of the original three candidates, the only explanation is that he was let go on the street or never was there so, in a sense, was also let go on the street but still has his computer. Ruins most discussion of politics as usual.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3771 on: March 20, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »

jbottle,

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/?storyID=24471

Speaking of Leonard DiCaprio....  There's The 11th Hour
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3772 on: March 20, 2008, 12:02:18 PM »

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/story/_a/oscar-winning-actor-paul-scofield-dies/n20080320093509990011

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3773 on: March 20, 2008, 12:12:14 PM »

Other than that, the murican public has been holding forth about Heath Ledger's will with the craziest ideas. I'd ask our local house Aussie but I doubt he'd be interested; in Ledger, possibly, but not the Australian surrogate laws.

It seems Heath's uncles came out of the woodwork and said, "Kim",Heath's father, and their brother, should not be allowed to be executor as he put them all in debt 15 years ago when he was the executor of their grandfather's estate.  Want to bet that is only their version of the usual story.

I should ask jbottle this!!!!   jbottle, how much would Ledger be likely to have coming in from The Joker? Or, whatever work on his role that has been taken over by a threesome of talents following his death. Posters with opinions are yadahing about 2 million dollars, etc. but it was my understanding Heath Ledger had about $140,000 in his bank at the time of his demise.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3774 on: March 20, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »

Paul Giamatti to play Philip K. Dick....

http://imdb.com/title/tt0840404/

Interesting choice of title, The Owl in Daylight, which was the novel Dick was working on when he died in 1982 -- it was supposed to be the final installment in the VALIS series and concerned a race of aliens who were deaf (communicating by means of telepathically projected images and colors) and therefore fascinated by humans and their use of sounds to communicate. 

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3775 on: March 20, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »

Tyler Perry:  $28.583M

Drillbit Taylor:  $7.416M
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3776 on: March 20, 2008, 04:07:27 PM »

"jbottle, how much would Ledger be likely to have coming in from The Joker?"

I imagine about $12M up front and then some of the back end, but I don't really know, the idea that he had only $160K doesn't sound right to me but I would think that he had a minimum of $8M to play the Joker and possibly up to 15, but I don't really know.  If you assume that Bale gets $15-25M, you would put Ledger getting half of that, but with some of the creative contracts maybe they take less up front for a more clear and immediate pay from the receipts.

Nicholson made upwards of $50M when he played the Joker, but that was Nicholson, and probably included less up front but I don't really know the going trend in contractual structures in the business. 

I know if Ferrell turned down 30 for "Elf" with considerable CGI, etc., you have to put "Batman" dough for stars in that same sphere, but I've been thinking more about how the marketing should be done, and I'm sure there is a lot of hand-wringing about how to be tasteful, but how to also recoup the quarter of a billion you are out before somebody buys the first ticket.

"Heath Ledger in his most daring role since "Brokeback Mountain..." [shotgun blast]

[as JOKER]:  "Why so serious...?"

Pixies song "Planet of Sound" begins as we flash cut from various explosions, etc.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3777 on: March 20, 2008, 04:09:33 PM »

The Box-Office Guru Gitesh Pandya says 23 (the number) and 12:

http://www.boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3778 on: March 20, 2008, 04:14:48 PM »

Maud:  The budget for "The Dark Knight" is $150M but I think that's just for production and you can conservatively add 100-125M for distribution and marketing, so Ledger stands to make double digits up front, hell I bet Owen Wilson got 3-5 for "Drillbit Taylor," so I don't know what the 2 is that you are talking about, but seriously, Johnny Knoxville makes more than that per picture.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3779 on: March 20, 2008, 05:52:24 PM »

Paul Giamatti to play Philip K. Dick....

Kewl. Add another real life character to his resume.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: