Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 03:23:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34020 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3780 on: March 20, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »

The two million are what the opinionated popular blog posters mention while advocating that Michelle Ledger is to  sue Heath's father for Mathilda to have a trust fund (plus some up-keep for Michelle who takes care of the baby).

This latter is interesting because of how often the "fans" mention, oh,well
Michelle is an actoress who will be making movies. Easy to say from their seats on the aisle; as I was just mentioning to harrie, and we have discussed it before, how little carry through  follows in these acting careers of young women -- when there is no "follow".

She has essentially taken time off to have a baby, has been in the early stages of raising their child when wham, he's gone; and it is she who may not recover.   If "working" she has to have child-care, which as you point out can be paid for up front. But, for now, we have  If.

It was her father,Michelle's, who was kibbutzing in the background by asking Heath's uncles,"Is this Kim Ledger on the up and up?"

Very little wonder why Heath started working early in tv and film. This seems to be often the case, where the family doesn't emotionally relate to the talented offspring; in fact, that's what drives the talent, a drive to excell and be independent.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3781 on: March 20, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

Meanwhile, did you put some words in here about, 21 ? I just looked at the trailers with: Kevin Spacey, because of my great curiosity that no adult is seen on the advertising posters.  In the film, he is of course there
as the "academic" mentor to a bunch of collegiate young adults. I can not say more. I will go see it.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3782 on: March 20, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

Pondy -- and the thing is, I hear about Giamatti as Phil Dick and I can't imagine anyone else.  Yeah, it's perfect casting -- really he looks more like a Phil Dick than a Harvey Pekar, which isn't to say that he wasn't terrific as Pekar. 

Re-watched The Departed last night and wasn't disappointed -- indeed, it does seem one of those films that improve and enhance with repeat viewings as others have noted already.  I can't seem to type anything right now except that it's a perfect film and Scorsese at his peak.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3783 on: March 20, 2008, 08:08:40 PM »

[as JOKER]:  "Why so serious...?"

That's a decent enough bad-guy line of dialogue, but make it the tag-line for the movie poster and it becomes great, even greater with the Ledger-behind-cloudy-glass writing it in blood, etc.   It's almost like, "What, Me Worry?", not in terms of the meaning but more like the feel of it or whatever.

Anyways, I say "The Dark Knight" will, like "Batman Begins" did, make the Tim Burton day-glo "Batman" look silly.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3784 on: March 20, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »

I can't seem to type anything right now except that it's a perfect film and Scorsese at his peak.

I liked "The Departed" a lot, but upon second viewing, the love-interest thing with Dicaprio and Farminga didn't really work for me. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3785 on: March 20, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »

oilcanboyd23

You are right. It doesn't.  (and I thought it was Damon!)wait, it was but DiCaprio was her patient or he made himself that; or, since it is that long when I last saw it, did they work things out, DiCaprio and the doctor,MM?   My impression was that D. was too much of a snot; and she was not impressed.  Whereas Damon was far too clever by half, to keep up with; and she seemed rather charmed.

If I've got it ass-backwards, you will have to run this by me again!
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3786 on: March 20, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »

really he looks more like a Phil Dick than a Harvey Pekar

In Harvey's own words... "Here's our man. Yeah, all right. Here's me. Well, the guy playin' me anyway. Even though he don't look nothin' like me. But, whatever."

I hope for something more than a straight story of PKD's life. The guy who wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is on board so it could get a little freaky.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3787 on: March 20, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »

"Why so seriooooooossss??"

Yeah, I like the new poster but the one with the redesign of the joker as a complete psychopath in clown makeup rather than marginally-scary latex clown that looked more like the comic vision but didn't transfer as viscerally to the screen because you know it's Nicholson in a lot of latex, anyway, the kids today expect more macabre thrills, the "Saw" generation has to be grabbed with more imaginative marketing and art design than Tim Burton, tepid goth that he is supposed to be, ever had.  So, I like the new poster that comes up on the IMDB with the Batman logo as the Joker smile, but the former ad campaign was brilliant...too bad they can't go in as exploitative a route now that the Joker is dead.  It's a small thing to be disappointed about, but I guess what I really mean is that I wish Ledger were around to pimp the thing as well, and him going and dying on us just wasn't quite fair, too soon.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3788 on: March 21, 2008, 01:14:19 AM »

I'll second that.  Ned Kelly really got to me.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3789 on: March 21, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

Tyler Perry:  $28.583M

Drillbit Taylor:  $7.416M

The NYDN gave Drillbit a good review (3 out of 4 stars). Critic said it was -- oh hell, here's the review, it's short.  http://tinyurl.com/2swjm8

Anyway, critic said it wasn't totally heartless (even if it is yet another Apatow product) and had some funny cameos and stuff.  I know a guy who knows a guy who has a decent-sized role in it, but I promise I'm not shilling it on that basis.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3790 on: March 21, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »

I like Wilson, so I hope it does well, and it sounds like something I would like, since "Bottle Rocket," I'll watch Wilson do his enthusiastic ne'er do well routine as often as he trots it out, I even thought "You, Me, and Dupree" had it's moments.  I didn't realize it was another product of the Apatow machine, and the release may have been problematic because of OW's problems offscreen, so maybe it would've been given a different release with more fanfare otherwise.  The BO may surprise, if it's percieved as another "Superbad."  The first ads I saw didn't feature OW at all other than a flash cut to him, and sold the movie in appearance as "Superbad II," but I don't know if they did "from the writers and producers of..." deal, but after OW Oscar appearance he seemed to be featured more prominently in the ads to sell the thing.  But yeah, sounds like fun.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3791 on: March 21, 2008, 12:42:38 PM »

Wow.  Ebert savages "Funny Games" with a "1/2 *," meaning .5 star(s), so he hated it.  Don't read the review if you intend to see the film, because the review isn't particularly funny, he reveals a lot of the plot details, saying it doesn't matter in this case, though he's usually careful not to do that, and he openly encourages you not to see the film.  I never saw the original, but for any commentary on American film and American film violence give me Paul Verhoeven anyday from the sounds of this "thanks, Europe" mess.

Link, again, if you want to be spoiled and not particularly amused as with most Ebert pans:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/REVIEWS/679566521
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3792 on: March 21, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

Didn't catch Ebert's pan, but the synopsis I did read persuaded me to give Funny Games a pass.  It's sort of an insult to American filmgoers, i.e. "you're too dumb to read subtitles, so I remade my German film, shot for shot, with Hollywood stars and speaking English -- you like, yes?"  Sheesh.  Maybe I'd give it a go if it weren't Sadists Hold Family Captive plot number 43.  Really, if I have to sit through that, I'd rather it WAS in German.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3793 on: March 21, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »

Someone named "Roger Moore" of the Orlando Sentinel gave DT a 3-star review as well.  I'm starting to think that it might do pretty well in the 14-16 range now, but of course I stand by my pre-review, non-number munching number.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3794 on: March 22, 2008, 03:40:30 PM »

Well, Tyler Perry's MTB did a 9M Friday, right on track, and DT did 4M but of course MTB will continue to do well but you figure that the matinee crowd of teen geeds will be there today for DT as well.  So, it will break 10 fersure, so it's between me and the guru on the MTB number, I think he's got me on DT.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: