Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 12:52:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34259 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3795 on: March 23, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »

Bond producer Barbara Broccoli is considering Devil May Care, the new 007 novel written by Sebastian Faulks, as the basis for a future movie. (Observer)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3796 on: March 23, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »

That's good, I'm a huge Bond fan, but strangely enough of the Roger Moore ones from the 1970's/early 80's, I thought he was funnier, and it's when the series started jumping the shark willfully and with cheeky aplomb, it's also when you get "Live and Let Die," and "Nobody Does is Better," the best Bond songs and move out of the cold war cool Shirley Bassey songs grounded in swinger '60's (which I also like). 

The Guru got me as I was low on the 10 that DT did in a larger margin than he was high, and Tyler Perry's movie I'm guessing got crunched a little bit by the NCAA tournament if I can make the cultural assumption that black people like basketball.  I do too, and I have friends who are black, but it only did 20 and I thought 28 or so and the guru was closer with 22 or something like that...I'm still just warming up for the summer onslaught so as much as family and friends have tried to keep me out of the game because of the inevitable physical and psychological toll that prognostication can take on a body, it keeps pulling me back in...I was told as a much younger man to get out of the progger buisness, one of the old ones tipped his hat and said "It's all failure," and I asked him why he still puts asses in seats if he's so smart.  He turned, twirled his cane, and said:  "I don't don't darn socks..." and so he disappeared into the pre-dawn fog whistling faintly to himself...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3797 on: March 23, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

HARRIE,  and JBOT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=542275&in_page_id=1773

This is a shot of or a shot at Angelina Jolie on a casual day in New Orleans, needing support under those hot weather dresses. Do you remember the bra-less generation?  I am going to go look for Bra Smyth's latest addition of summer bras in the current issue of their ongoing catalog. Giving in to hot weather leads to the inevitable.  Sag not, keep your support.  Brad on the other hand is obviously losing his hair but chances are he will remain just as cute.

What I am trying to figure out however is why the British fans insist on referring to the 9th.ward as a New Orleans suburb?

NEXT:

jBOTTLE.... Pitt teamed up with former President Bill Clinton last week to open the project officially.[ Too funny what one won't do for one's wife during campaign season.]
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3798 on: March 23, 2008, 05:14:38 PM »

Little pink houses for you and me, I like it...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3799 on: March 23, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »

The first time that I saw those in an article about what Pitt was doing, I mistakenly thought they were tent-city arrangements where former neighbours were crashing while preparing the land and/or repairing houses, or rebuilding.  So, I really can't say what I am looking at.

I'm interested in that, in a long ago prior generation, a forebear in my husband's family was an architect in a partnership that had their office on Royale "street" closer to what became the Canal Street end, and I sent the on-line coverage off to my son while objecting to the Pitt specifications and ranting that it will never look the same. Have since changed my mind as more time goes by, Pitt was obviously really trying to house as many people in a practical way as could be done now.

Since Brad is just a smidgin younger than my son, I know that Pitt did see New Orleans as it was, my son never did see it before this catastrophe.  One has to spend time there to really know the place by at least a modicum.

Another architect has already  come up with a  reasonable pre-packaged replacement of the shot-gun style of architecture with which the average person lived. Which is really quite comely, if one decides to live by making but  a small footprint  while making a new start just about anywhere.    I just saw an example of the old style "cottage", with which New Orleans was crowded (according to photos in the Library of Congress which are endlessly fascinating)but found them quite incidentally on some link of a blog that Anne Rice has been keeping since the Flood, not sure that I even remember what I was doing that led to her but she rather commendably is concerned about the plight of those who lost what they had "where she came from" before she could afford to live in the Garden District which was on relatively high ground by comparison.

The link was out to one of the notoriously haunted bayou plantations, might have been Live Oaks (?) where it is possible to stay by booking one of possibly five cottages mostly two bedroom, one that is one bdrm only, and a larger for two families but all basically shot-gun although not on the long front to back arrangement but rather more squared off cottage with additions where space allowed. The one drawback of the shot-gun style was each room opened into the next; no privacy. Yet it probably maintained better heat in the wetter winter months, and if you were lucky more air circulation in the humid summers. The plantation estate house is, on the other hand, not one jot different than houses built off the Delaware/Brandywine either side of the Pennsylvania-Delaware border. Same soft ground (and soggy) because of river rise.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3800 on: March 23, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »

I was curious about the box office so checked out the Box Office Guru guy, who stated that this was the most dismal Easter weekend in years. Originally, I thought that Easter might be the reason for, say, Drillbit Taylor's weak showing; but hearing that it went across the board... oh well.

I had thought that with Easter, maybe a lot of people were locked in with family activities; and with the nice weather some parts of the country (like mine) were having, and the rotten weather other parts of the country were having (Missouri, for example) that movie-going would be the last thing on people's minds -- they'd be either hangin' in the park or packin' up sandbags.  But for a bad, bad weekend box office, I guess it's just that nobody anywhere was interested.

Kudos to you, jbottle, for your box office expertise.

madupont, even though I'm no Angelina Jolie, I gotta say in New Orleans type weather, I'd be looking to wear as few clothes as possible; so I can't rag on her for having the nerve, as a a public figure who pretty much knows she's going to be photographed, deciding to be comfy and eff 'em all.  I know she's not popular, but I don't have much of a problem with her.

We got a preview weekend; or if my friend the Head End Engineer is still The Man at the local cable franchise, he may have just .... oops, flipped a switch on Friday. Either way, got to check out some stuff I normally would not have.  Let me just say that Music and Lyrics (Drew Barrymore, Hugh Grant), though twice as sweet and half as substantial as cotton candy, was a very satisfying piece of fluff.  Lots of silly romantic stuff, but also lots of funny throwaway/commentary lines.  I actually liked it, despite not particularly wanting to.

Also rewatched The Departed, which just gets better.  Whoever made the observation about DiCaprio wearing/being his character rather than just playing it -- excellent.

jbottle, is it you always ragging on Smokin' Aces?  I kind of liked it. Hey -- there's no accounting for taste, as they say.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3801 on: March 23, 2008, 08:59:46 PM »

"Kudos to you, jbottle, for your box office expertise."

You might've glossed over my comments, as I was bested by the Guru, Gitesh Pandya.  I'm in the same club though and feel his pain as we look at the picture of William Goldman on the wall and say the progger prayer:  "Nobody Knows Anything..."

He beat me this weekend, but I don't think I've been particularly hard on "Smokin' Aces," I think I said I liked it and sure, there's no accounting for taste, but it was (I thought) quite well done and made me like Ryan Reynolds.  I thought the worst imaginable fear of the "meth wave" crowd was perfectly overdone, and I thought Carnahan did exactly what he was supposed to do...it looked really good.  He didn't write the fucking thing so what does he care, sure, it doesn't have the subtexts of a 3KMTG, with that whole dissillusionment of the father gangster, father cop, father there, and what that absence has or may have wrought (interesting idea there, that our imaginations or what have you are going to slip into the vacuum of an example that is simple, there), so the script was mostly mechanics but I felt like the performances were good and that it had enough style and black humor to make it a good popcorn flick.  As a "Sophomore Slump," Joe Carnahan has to do much, much worse, especially if he were able to select or be directed to better material.  SA has a central caveat which is to toss out the violent propensities of the assassins in the first act, let them try in the second, and have the whole triangulation happen in the third.  It's a good movie type movie movie, I agree.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3802 on: March 23, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »

You might've glossed over my comments, as I was bested by the Guru, Gitesh Pandya. 

No, I meant since you prognosticated better than my feeble non-attempt.  But I guess someone who's blindfolded and not even spun in the direction of the dart board could do better than I do most weeks.  Beat the guru and I'll buy you a beer or something.  Beat me, you get kudos.  It's a crap deal, but that's the way it is.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3803 on: March 23, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »

"But I guess someone who's blindfolded and not even spun in the direction of the dart board could do better than I do most weeks."

That's exactly the spirit, you have the insticts of a prognosticator.  For us to eshew the usual rigamarole of looking at review or numbers of seats or how similar movies did in a similar market the year before, is simply not old school.

The life of the progger, is something that comes from within, and there is no algebra that will aid his failing cause.  For geometry, they make architects and engineers, for the JOURNEY, you need to hail the prevailing wind, and it's going to change, and that, is the courtesy of predilection:  You wonder at the alter of number-munching, and you cede your instinct to the small minds of lesser fools.

It's a strange science, and it is only for those who seek it out, and not for those who hope to divine the truth by way of a calculator, or other fallible apparatus.  For us, there is the wetted finger to the wind, and you will never be as wrong as you are courageous:

Join the rare, the few, and live by instict alone, or fail by expecting the expected, for you shall be truly blessed.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3804 on: March 24, 2008, 01:16:25 AM »

Paul Giamatti to play Philip K. Dick....

Speaking of which, I recently saw a reference to Mr. Dick, quoting him as saying half the famous people of history never lived and anything can be faked.  Anyone know from what work(s) such assertions derive?

My last holiday/travel movie was Paris Je T'aime on 4th (not 14th, but hey, didn't have 14th off work) of July, which was terrific.

This holiday/travel movie was about as far from a holiday movie as I've seen...maybe ever (tho' there were C'mas scenes therein):   In Bruges and we took the 15-y-o who was nowhere near as bothered by the carnage as and who laughed much more than her mom, tho' sometimes the accents were a bit problematical for her (and I had to explain some national stereotypes).  I did laugh, at least once out loud, but even getting past the language and druggie stuff I still couldn't laugh at the gore (and some of the laughs around me sounded iffy, too). I'm familiar with the debate about how graphic violence in movies should be and have earned by moviegoing stripes, but somehow, still want my comedies to let me relax enough to laugh. 

And no, unlike the Paris movie, it didn't make me want to see Bruges--in fact, it comes at the end of a long list of things that make me not want to be an American traveler in Eur. at all.  Guess I'll have to  stick to Travel Channel, Globe Trekker and the like.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3805 on: March 24, 2008, 02:32:25 AM »

Harrie,

Actually, I approve of Angelina Jolie, and even saw her once again in:
The Good Shepherd.    You know, "Clover" who greets her husband after years of absence,"I prefer to be called Margaret,now".

I have a pretty good idea of New Orleans weather and New Jersey and Pennsylvania.  I have two words. Air Conditioning. I didn't mind Seventy degree weather at night in Summer--at least until August--with no air conditioning whatsoever.  But one gets older.   Which is an analogy to not wearing a bra in a hot weather, as in Africa.  Get the picture?

But since I was wrong about the opening scene of TGS, I could be wrong about that too.   There is more to that movie than meets the eye.  I had it firmly fixed that when that ship goes in the bottle, Damon's memory clicks in. No, actually, he ends up with a kid (by Angelina/Clover/Margaret) who is exactly like he was as a kid hiding in the closet spying on his father(who is actually Timothy Hutton! that had me mystified for a moment?) and then hiding the suicide note (which I had forgotten (but his manner of burning it was like lighting the birthday candles on your own birthday cake!).    It was the secret that he told "the brothers" upon his initiation into Skull & Bones.

And yes, the terrific John Turturro scene was a reality that happened to a CIA man whose family would like an explanation; why Robert De Niro chose to use it, in his story, gives me further expansion on this "picture".

It seems as if unbeknownst to the administration and perhaps some of the public at large, film-makers who have been stars in their own right have decided to use their weight to be as creative as possible about criticizing the government and some of its leadership and most of its ethics as truly a bummer and they want you to enjoy the revelation. Of course, the administration can always say,"That's what is so good about this country.  Creative Freedom." uh,huh.  I am enjoying it to the utmost in the Tom Hanks production of: John Adams. Unfortunately, I had to watch two episodes haphazardly tonight without filling in where I crashed in yet a third episode which I assume was Ep#2

I had forgotten Joe Pesci was in The Good Shepherd, for that short but concise scene in the backyard on the porch, looked like Philadelphia to me but I may be wrong, what with the fabricated awning. And he says,We,Italians...have our families, and the Church; and the Irish have the Mother Country, but what have you guys got?  So, Damon barely turns toward him, without making eye-contact in the least. "We have the country. The rest of you are just visitors."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3806 on: March 24, 2008, 11:30:48 AM »

In Bruges shot through theater here like a Japanese bullet train, but will look for on DVD in near future.  Euro travel is okay for those who really have particular historic/folkloric/caloric interests in a specific place, but otherwise I've found it to be the armpit of tourism. 

Great travel destination for people who hate tourism and just want to go live somewhere else for a bit:  San Antonio. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3807 on: March 24, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »

I HATE San Antonio, barton.  Lived there for over 7 miserable years.  Never could understand why people like the place.  The country south of there, around Uvalde, is pretty nice but the city itself - ugh.  I guess there wasn't much novelty for me because I grew up in Texas.

Have you guys discussed No Country for Old Men yet?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3808 on: March 24, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »

Truly Deeply.  NO Country for Old Men is back about the release date on the posts. I was skittish about the menace but am at heart a Javier Bardem fan having seen much of his work.  Have not yet seen the locally promised Love in the Time of Cholera, which never arrived as scheduled and has since been badly panned by the critics who always  feel they know better than the rest of us.  On top of that, the country is also badly panned, Columbia, where it was shot (along with several real people recently) until finally, I wonder if there is a connection between the US favoring of Columbia and the disappearance of a film adapted from the writing of a reputed communist writer. Will it even make it to television?

I gather that you probably understand some Spanish after all those years in San Antone...in any case,see what Bardem did in a film about the Spanish dockworkers, Mondays in the Sun.  Or as an entirely different character, mestizo detective in  John Malkovich's production of:
The Dancer Upstairs, about the days of the Shining Path terrorists in the Andes.

Javier Bardem would have been slated for Best Actor had he not been upstaged by the arrival of the film,There Will be Blood.

Is is one of my favorite actors because of his flair(similar to Olivier)for becoming somebody new with every appearance on film. You never know who he will turn up as? Besides he has an exuberant sense of humor; and,apparently courtly manners sans sycophant excess, just concise and precise.

I have yet to see the 2006 film made with Natalie Portman,Goya's Ghosts.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3809 on: March 24, 2008, 12:45:35 PM »

I had to teach myself Spanish while I lived there, maddie, because I was a social worker and it was impossible to work with my peeps without a working knowledge of it, but I never got THAT good at it, just sorta okay.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: