Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 04:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52778 times)
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3810 on: March 24, 2008, 06:52:50 PM »

I was in San Antonio for a day or two, years ago, so no sane person should trust my opinion on this matter. 

How about Marfa -- any thoughts on Marfa?  I've never been, but it seems like it might be fun to winter there.  Artists, weird lights, Chinati Foundation, fun times.   And speaking of Marfa, where NCFOM was filmed...

I think there was some chat about it here.   I liked it.  A little more serious approach from the bros than one is used to, and I was glad to see them go for it. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3811 on: March 24, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »

Speaking of Chianti, I hope that you all know the key to not having a hangover after drinking in excess of one bottle of red wine of any varietal:  Aspirin, not Advil, not Tylenol, good old aspirin and a glass of water before you hit the sack and no prob.  Don't for get about aspirin, when you think of hangover relief, in fact, I'll state my reputation here on the supposition that one can drink one bottle of red wine with a light dinner and one after and taking 300mg of aspirin will make you say, huh, I thought I would've felt like I was a hit by a truck, but now I'm ready to go out and make purchases.  Garontee.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3812 on: March 24, 2008, 07:14:05 PM »

Geez, I thought that said "chianti" too, and I was so there. Oh well.  I do vitamin B rather than aspirin - works for me.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3813 on: March 24, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »

The Chinati foundation, and museum (large sculpture), is named for the nearby Chinati Hills area.  The Fava Bean Valley, nearby, is also quite lovely.

Seriously, and this comes from a former EMT and pre-med guy, DO NOT take aspirin -- it is an irritant of mucuous membranes, GI linings, and just doesn't work well with alcohol.   It can increase recovery time from any kind of flu and/or bronchitis in the colder months.  Try ibuprofen, please.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3814 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »

I had to teach myself Spanish while I lived there, maddie, because I was a social worker and it was impossible to work with my peeps without a working knowledge of it, but I never got THAT good at it, just sorta okay.

I picked up some growing up, before I was out of grade-school, where I think that our everyday Latin, for just under eight years, facilitated reading Spanish but not comprehending it as spoken to us, so I immediately had two years of high school with grammar!  Then back to two years of daily Latin liturgy with just a soupcon of French from Sr. Gilberte, retired opera singer no doubt, who taught "art song" for voice lessons.(That was done purely so that it would not hurt the ears of the nuns on a daily basis when we sang Latin at least two or three times a day.)

Spanish made so much more sense when people were speaking it to you while speaking it to each other, which didn't happen until I was thirty to thirty-four; at which time it was kind of the reversal of your situation, in that the community, originally from Texas, were certainly more the social workers to us, as it was the height of the organization  of farm workers, and we met friends of mutual friends, and met their entire families and their friends and so on.

Bardem is a trip though because he speaks Castilean(that we learned in high school), you can even hear it in his English, unless he makes an effort to change it through a voice coach to effect some locality that a character lives in.

I speak nada now. I have worse problems, listening to incomprehensible Plattdeitsch spoken by the Amish and just smiling and nodding along. They have the distinct advantage of knowing both languages in the region which means they are quite a bit smarter;"it only comes a problem when  writing for a sign to sell eggs and a written letter to an English is a work". Which reminds me, I was supposed to go to a special showing tonight of Witness, Harrison Ford, Viggo Mortensson, Kelly McGillis, who is now fifty and decided to live in Pennsylvania after making the film.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:25:17 PM by madupont » Logged
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3815 on: March 24, 2008, 10:22:34 PM »

In Bruges is a splendidly original movie. It contains silliness, politically incorrect humor, an unconventional and intelligently-written story set in a magnificent locale. There are also strong performances by Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. And in the middle of all that there is a serious exploration of Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, guilt, sin and taking responsibility for one's actions even when those actions lead to unintended consequences.

It's just about everything I'd want a movie to be. I've seen it twice.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3816 on: March 24, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »

Say what you like about aspirin, barton, but, trust me on this one if it's the rare event that you have overindulged on red wine.  I support ibu but I'm a beer drinker, and I don't think the rare applicaition of said is a bad idea.

You could always feel like shit with a hangover, but with red wine, it's a fair gambe.  Only red wine, though.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3817 on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »

In Bruges is a splendidly original movie. It contains silliness, politically incorrect humor, an unconventional and intelligently-written story set in a magnificent locale. There are also strong performances by Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. And in the middle of all that there is a serious exploration of Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, guilt, sin and taking responsibility for one's actions even when those actions lead to unintended consequences.

It's just about everything I'd want a movie to be. I've seen it twice.

I kind of thought that might be the case Earl.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3818 on: March 25, 2008, 09:32:24 AM »

I HATE San Antonio, barton.  Lived there for over 7 miserable years.  Never could understand why people like the place.  The country south of there, around Uvalde, is pretty nice but the city itself - ugh.  I guess there wasn't much novelty for me because I grew up in Texas.

Have you guys discussed No Country for Old Men yet?
Best movie of the decade so far.

Always thought San Antonio would be a nice place to visit - Selena (One of my wife's favorite movies) made the river look so nice, there's also some mission there whose name I forget - but I wouldn't want to live there.  Or anywhere in Texas, no offense to the natives.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3819 on: March 25, 2008, 11:38:51 AM »

I'd need lots of AC and spf 1000 to get through the summers down there.  Austin's okay, but it's gotten almost too hip, too self-aware.  And, though I can hardly bring myself to say this after the winter we've had up here in the northern tier, I think I need a couple months of snow.

The Texas that appears in films is achingly pretty. 

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3820 on: March 25, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »

Barton
I'd need lots of AC and spf 1000 to get through the summers down there.  Austin's okay, but it's gotten almost too hip, too self-aware.  And, though I can hardly bring myself to say this after the winter we've had up here in the northern tier, I think I need a couple months of snow.

The Texas that appears in films is achingly pretty. 

So, is Mexico, think of the film that Tommy Lee Jones made prior to NCfOM
(but it was actually,Big Bend National Park, Texas, USA, and a great deal of it was filmed on his own ranch,
Big Bend Ranch State Park, Presidio, Texas, USA

Odessa, Texas, USA

Texas, USA

Van Horn, Texas, USA) and which he directed himself:The Three Burials
                                                                           of Melquiades Estradas
(skip Prairie Home Companion) as this was his directorial "debut" and, typically
he handed everybody a copy of Camus,The Stranger " to give them a sense of alienation". He's not an uneducated man, despite the folksiness of his memorable characters; although this week,some people consider it not fashionable that "young" Senator Gore should be mentioned as his college room-mate but I somehow doubt Jones would make that particular distinction. 

When people say "Senator Gore", I automatically think of his forebear (as written about by Gore Vidal),that blind Senator who was set up on a sex/morals sting. Which brings to mind why didn't Al ever pull Bill's coat-tail?

Austin, by the way, has always been hip, I'm thinking of the University, now; it was hip already in the early 1970s when a couple of the habitues  turned up in my driveway invited by a mutual friend, after just returning on their visa from India where they were ashram buddies of the people you just mentioned the other day. I should have said fellow members of the sangha at Hanuman temple or the expanded consciousness people  who practice vipassana meditation.

This possibly means that the campus at Austin was always inordinately hip but it is also the area where my elderly cousin decided to retire.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3821 on: March 25, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »

Never been to Marfa, barton, unless it was just passing through.  Texas has very few pretty areas - a huge percentage of it looks like the landscape in No Country for Old Men.  I grew up in West Texas, but I've been just about everywhere.  The area around and between Austin and San Antonio is the best Texas has to offer.

This Texas native doesn't take any offense - why do you think I moved away?  I wanted to live around trees that get over 20 feet tall.

Steve, the "river" in San Antonio - are you talking about the one that runs through the Riverwalk area?  If you are, that's manmade.  The Guadalupe is just outside San Antonio, and it's pretty darn nice with white water, etc. 

Okay, No Country for Old Men -

Anyone read the novel? The movie still has me confused about who did what to whom, etc.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3822 on: March 25, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »

maddie -

Austin was one of the first areas in Texas to get w/ the late sixties/early 70s drug culture because of UT - it wasn't cool until around 1967.  My Dad is a Texas Ex. 

Also had an aunt who died in Odessa.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3823 on: March 25, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »

Mmmm... San Antonio.

http://www.mitierracafe.com/

http://www.lafogata.com/

And many others.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member