Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 09:49:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33762 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3840 on: March 27, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

I'm planning to see The Orphanage.  I missed it when it was at the U. theater here, so will have to await DVD.   Having Del Toro's name in the mix, even as producer, should have won it more mainstream release.   

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3841 on: March 27, 2008, 01:52:26 PM »

Barton, Take a gander at these scenic places to live from the green list, get there before the real estate value goes up along with the temperature.

I can personally attest to several of these places. For instance,thanatopsy of American History forum lives in Minneapolis as does my brother; it's a haven of liberalism compared to what has been the current US politics for far too long.   LaCrosse across the river is much the same  enviromentally,but smaller society of more Republican Scandinavians who cross the river to shop at the Mall of the Americas or whatever it is called.  The organic food people(Organic Valley) are directly south of LaCrosse, at LaFarge.

Madison, southeast in the lower Midstate of Wisconsin is even more liberal than the Twin Cities of Minnesota, with a multifaceted university with a recreational lake environment, lots of boites and bistros between the university and the state capitol building. Good book stores, good pharmacies, The Soap Opera for organic toiletries, much that I miss after all these years of being able to just drop in for a visit.

Santa Barbara is tempting, owned by blonde families who wear coordinated pastels to lunch at Montecito in Charlie Chaplin's hotel. Flowers bedeck the gates of the yacht club. More students at univ.of Cal. Only drawback sometimes the wonderfully secluded homes in the hills do not follow the rules of avoiding fire hazard from drought as you saw not too many months back.Vegetation should be cut back drastically from houses but it isn't; people like the cool privacy.  Jennifer Aniston fans be on alert. More expensive than Minnesota or Wisconsin,  without a doubt. To live here is to hear the seals bark, while they bask in the Pacific. Earthquakes happen. Live dangerously. Make a movie. This is a few hours drive north of the Industry at LA.

More as I think about it.   http://www.countryhome.com/greencities/top25.html?sssdmh=dm17.306708&esrc=nwch39
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3842 on: March 27, 2008, 02:06:43 PM »

I've been around the US -- Santa Barb is ultra expensive, for sure.  And as for winters that go into overtime -- MN or WI doesn't much appeal.  Madison is something like Lincoln, NE where I live, just colder and with more lakefront.

Lawrence, KS has the rep for being about the most liberal town in this general area.

For natural beauty, I'd pick Fayetteville, AR, which is in the Ozarks.

Boulder, CO is also notably liberal, but UC is rated the number one binge drinking school in the nation and the U dominates the town, so it can get kind of old.

law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3843 on: March 27, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »

Oliver Stone does it again.

Elizabeth Banks is way too pretty to play mrs. bush.  at the fred claus premier, i was walking thru the lobby after the screening with another family member, and turned to a pretty blonde woman and said "did you cry?"  she looked at me like i was a lunatic and smiled.  it was her.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3844 on: March 27, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »

Oliver Stone does it again.

Elizabeth Banks is way too pretty to play mrs. bush.  at the fred claus premier, i was walking thru the lobby after the screening with another family member, and turned to a pretty blonde woman and said "did you cry?"  she looked at me like i was a lunatic and smiled.  it was her.

Just another of the many law brushes with fame....
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3845 on: March 27, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »

they're just brushes.  my real life is spent writing contracts at my desk, a 65-year-old scrivener toiling in obscurity, unable to retire to a life of liesure in order that mrs. law can continue to have her hair done at Caracalla.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3846 on: March 27, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »

After two attempts at viewing The Good Shepherd in which I fell asleep in different parts (at first I blamed the slow pace, then the very slow music), I was finally successful in seeing the whole thing and thought much better of it once I did.  Thanks for helpful posts in here in the deciphering.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3847 on: March 27, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »

Law120b    That sounds fairly ominous, Caracalla was the guy who extended his father's law to include Roman Martyrdom, no abrogation of taxes. You will pay if it kills you; or, in any case, we will kill you, and you will pay for it.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3848 on: March 27, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »

The weekend BO looks horrible:

While the ads for "[the number] 21" look good, I'm expecting more of an 9.784M outing, while "Run Fatboy Run," will score a dubious 4.329M, while "Superhero Movie," the undoubted choice of the braindead, will lead the weekend of new releases with a 14.578M weekend.

I really have no idea and have not consulted the guru, which will follow.

The "guru," is self-proclamied "Box-Office Guru" Gitesh Pandya, who counts numbers of seats for each film and is a demonstrable number-muncher, whilel still a shining star in the progger community, is nonetheless dismissed as a "young gun" who is impetuous and relys on his calculator more than his wetted-finger, had he ever wetted it, to the wind.  He is the NEW BREED, and while I maintain a collegial respect for Mr. Pandya, I stick with the old guns, one of whom won't be mentioned by name, who said "That Indian couldn't put an ass in a seat if his life depended on it [throws paper at lunnch counter and grabs raincoat and hat off rack], peace to you and your gents, but this game wasn't built on algebra, and it's never been nuclear physics [winks at the table and leaves].

Never picked up a check that guy.  Never needed to.  Nobody knows anything, lets see what the G-Pan has cooked...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3849 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07:12 PM »

He went 15, 14, 4, with THE NUMBER TWENTY ONE leading, then SUPERHERO, then RFBR at in last.

He don't know either, but with the advantage of science, and my predilection for the prevailing wind, may the best man win.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3850 on: March 28, 2008, 01:10:27 AM »

Barton

I once had the pleasure of spending a part of December, I guess it was, on the shore of Lake Monona(the southern lake of the two main Madison lakes). It was a wonderful three room apartment with bath that belonged to the brother of a friend of mine who arranged my stay while his brother went off to his girl friend's.

In the morning,I would turn from the bedroom door into  a narrow kitchen meant for the Mozart apartment no doubt, all white Baroque decor, and lit brilliantly by the sun rise through a large floor to ceiling window next to the round table where I sat and had coffee, while watching the most compact ducks that I've ever seen who just bobbed on the back-wash right outside the window.

Madison has now quite a reputation too so that people don't like to live along State street anymore; not so much binge drinking, as just drinking out on the streets making noise until all hours, kind of like Univ. of Cal. at Santa Barbara was known to be. Binge drinking is the pursuit of freshman girls or friends of theirs at the eating clubs of Princeton by males, if not just a contest of masculinity by drinking the most and dropping dead. The old boys who return to town and campus for Reunion week may never have lost the taste for that; it started when the British were still here but it is disastrous when these elderly gentlemen race around on 18th.century roads to find someplace they remember.

Anyway, I just stopped by to include Bellingham,Washington, which is on the Green List, a spot visited by some of the conscientious obj against Vietnam around my house, one of whom left Madison and took off to harvest apples with his girlfriend but bounced right back to my house again. I don't know if it was some kind of Northern Wisconsin insularity that didn't mesh with the Bellingham born or what? I understand that the area is a prime growing area for lavender, all sorts of flowers, fruit, etc.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3851 on: March 28, 2008, 06:57:30 PM »

Dear MoveOn member,
Your mission, should you choose to accept it: make a 30-second TV ad that tells the nation why Barack Obama should be our next President.

If you and your friends have writing, acting, or video editing talent—whether you're a total amateur or a total pro—now is the time to use your creativity to help Obama win.

Today, we're launching an ad contest called "Obama in 30 Seconds." Anyone can make an ad about Obama between now and April 15. The public will vote on the best ads, and a panel of top artists, film professionals, and netroots heroes will pick a winner from among the finalists. (Judges include Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Naomi Wolf, Oliver Stone, John Legend, Donna Edwards, and Markos Moulitsas. The full list is below.)

We'll air the winning Obama ad nationally, and the winner will receive a gift certificate for $20,000 in video equipment. Whether you're definitely interested or need time to think about it, let us know—we'll keep you in the loop as the contest proceeds.

Every day, political insiders and pundits tell Americans what to think about the presidential race. But now, it's YOUR turn to take the megaphone. We want to run ads that are of the people, by the people, and for the people. So consider making an ad.

If you have acting or writing talent and have a friend with video skills, join as a team! Or, pass this email to a friend who is good at making videos. This contest builds on the success of MoveOn's "Bush in 30 Seconds" contest in 2004—which resulted in thousands of videos and a great winner that aired nationally.

Obama has already inspired many supporters to produce independent videos, and you can now be part of this movement. By combining all of our creative talent with the power of online video, we can help push Obama to victory. Thanks for all you do.

–Adam G., Laura, Daniel, Peter, Ilyse, and the MoveOn.org Political Action Team
  Friday, March 28th, 2008

P.S. Here's a direct link to our contest page:
http://www.obamain30seconds.org/?t=3&id=12397-6817013-YPu5FR
P.P.S. Here's the complete list of judges:

Academy Award-winning writer/actor/director Ben Affleck; Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated actor/director Steve Buscemi; Academy Award-winning writer/actor Matt Damon; progressive hero & future Congresswoman Donna Edwards; musician/activist Michael Franti; actor/musician/director Adrian Grenier; Academy Award-nominated producer Ted Hope; author & civil rights leader Reverend Jesse Jackson; award-winning documentary filmmaker Rory Kennedy; Grammy-winning recording artist John Legend; Stanford Law professor & founder of the Center for Internet and Society Lawrence Lessig; recording artist & Bush in 30 Seconds co-founder Moby; Daily Kos founder Markos Moulitsas; President of Lionsgate Entertainment Tom Ortenberg; Native American activist and documentary filmmaker Heather Rae; President of Focus Features James Schamus; producer, author, and entrepreneur Russell Simmons; author, lecturer, & experimental hip hop musician DJ Spooky; Academy Award-nominated documentary filmmaker Ricki Stern; actor/writer/director Julia Stiles; Academy Award-winning writer/director Oliver Stone; Academy Award-nominated documentary filmmaker Annie Sundberg; Grammy & Golden Globe award-winning songwriter and musician Eddie Vedder; and New York Times best-selling author Naomi Wolf.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3852 on: March 28, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »

We'll air the winning Obama ad nationally, and the winner will receive a gift certificate for $20,000 in video equipment.

Isn't that, like, a crime or something?   Like "buying votes" or bribery or whatever?   I don't know, maybe it isn't, I have no idea.  The whole thing sounds pretty slimy, but it might very well be legal for all I know.

I hope Obama wins, so I hope this whole "MoveOn" thing doesn't end up hurting him.  Does he even know about it?  Hopefully he'll tell Oliver Stone and Ben Affleck and all those guys to STFU and stop sabotaging his campaign.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3853 on: March 29, 2008, 01:35:58 AM »

Obama sounds too much like "Osama" for me, so I'm voting for McCain, or writing in Steven Seagal, we need someone who will be there at 3AM when "Ticker" is on CMAX5, saying things like, "I was good in that scene, honey, I mean 'Mrs. President,' could you get the POTUS a Kirin Light, or is that too much to fucking ask??"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3854 on: March 29, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »

LOL.  Obama, like Clinton, has that charismatic scholar thing going -- he can be lofty and cerebral, but can move his hips, too.

Madu -- Bellingham is pleasant, though lacking sun.  I lived in the PNW for six years -- endless drizzle and endless fighting over the forests.  He's a lumberjack and he's not okay with the urban Greens.  The folks in Eugene mostly wanted ecotopia.  And good coffee to self-medicate against Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: