Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 02:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40566 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3870 on: April 01, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »

Didn't sound like a threadkilla, but anyway, my favourite Van Damme moment was on Leno when, after tabloid stories of cocaine abuse were mentioned by Leno, he goes, no, two Sudafed and a Diet Coke and I'm good to go..."

He's probably snorted a Maybach or five.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3871 on: April 02, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »

Barton,

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,822,brunos-hapless-us-victims-caught-on-film,23287

Bruno’s hotpants scare Kansas locals
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3872 on: April 02, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

Barton,

Don't know what to tell you about this, take a look:

http://www.blackvoices.com/blogs/2008/03/31/robert-downey-jr-goes-black-for-tropic-thunder/
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3873 on: April 02, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »

Madupont, re

[Sacha Baron Cohen is being a menace again. Following his controversial 2006 hit Borat, comes his latest 'mockumentary', Bruno, in which he masquerades as a gay Austrian TV fashion presenter. Footage has emerged of the British comedian terrorising Kansas locals by stripping down to a pair of hotpants in Wichita airport. Local newspapers reported that a "European man" was "putting security on red alert" by "stripping down to tight shorts and dancing in the lobby”.

'Bruno' has already fooled actor Ben Affleck, who agreed to take part in an interview with someone that he was told was a "very famous, openly gay, fashion journalist". The prank was revealed when Affleck told comedian Sarah Silverman that the interview was "the weirdest sit-down he has ever had with a reporter". Silverman shrewdly asked: "Was this guy's name Bruno?"

Until now, the filming of Bruno has been kept under close wraps, with the success of the project resting on the requirement that Baron Cohen's victims should not recognise him. The leaked clip is thought to be genuine and not an April Fool’s joke.]

I think Wichita has theaters and large numbers who have seen Borat.  If so, seems like they would recognize Cohen's face pretty easily.  Although one can't underestimate the shapeshifter talents of some actors.  The Afflect part, if true, is hilarious. 

I'd heard about Downey.  It doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.  He's an actor, playing a part.  If we demanded that every role be played by an actor who had deeply lived that experience, there wouldn't be too many movies made. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3874 on: April 02, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »

The minute I saw "Leatherheads" being released this weekend the number 26.632M came into my head.  I have no idea how many theaters it's in, I don't know how similar pictures did last year.  I have a few quarters in my pocket and a knife, a little bit of money and a little of your life.  I just thought of that, too.

I don't know what "The Ruins" will do but it's based on a novel and so I'm going to say $13.131M.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3875 on: April 02, 2008, 11:39:19 PM »

"Beyond Leatherdome" has just been greenlighted by...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3876 on: April 03, 2008, 03:24:36 PM »

Do your BO numbers on THIS, Jbot....

http://imdb.com/title/tt0443701/

I'm thinking this is HUGE, but then I was a fan and lack objectivity.  Note that, as well as bringing back Duchovny and Anderson, that Billy Connolly has a major role (seen most recently as the sensitive zombie in "Fido") in this, the second X-Files movie. 

Anderson seems to have pretty much gone British lately (living there), which maybe isn't so strange given that she lived in North London from ages 2-11, and felt quite alienated and uncertain who she was when the family moved back to the U.S. and settled in Michigan.   Seems like a typical thing in an actor's bio.  You don't know who you are or where you belong, so tinkering with your identity is easy to do.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3877 on: April 03, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »

London would be a great place to live if you had her dough, but you have to really love it when your $$ turn to lbs.

I don't put up numbers this far out of a release but the first movie didn't fare very well if I recall, but perhaps the absence and new fans from the Sci-Fi channel re-runs, meaning geeky kids in the target audience for a  summer movie may make you right.

You kind of have to consider what it's up against that particular weekend, which isn't number-munching, but something legitimate to consider, as well as the strength of the trailers, which I think has everything to do with whether a film makes a "C" or an "A," you can't blame an "F" perf on advertising alone, but I recall the push to have been fairly lackluster while this one should have real punch, with shotgun blasts and military drums, nearly zero nuance and all horror/action.  It shoule look like "Bad Boys II" or "Die Hard" even if that's not exactly what it is.....
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3878 on: April 03, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »

Gitesh Pandya has gone with 15 for Leather and 8 for "Ruins."

I think there may be some "The Office" fans that will go for the third-billed guy who probably already like Clooney, and he may pull in some of the crowd that liked "Oh, Brother," and Clooney's comic parts, where country music and football have common audiences, and I think there may be a fairly good boomer crowd and retired crowd for whom that era holds a certain charm and for whom the Leather football "helmet" is a nostalgic memory, or a thing of childhood memory. 

When I was growing up I remember my grandfathers leather "helmet" hanging proudly on a hatrack on the wall, along with other hats that depression-era kids who became men wore everywhere.  I don't remember my grandfather going anywhere without a hat, outdoors I mean, and not in church, but anyway, I think that the sons and daughters of that generation may view that era in a sort of romantic simpler time light.  They sure knew how to make movies back then, I think they sold more tickets in the 1940's than they do now, without any adjustment for population.  Everybody saw everything every weekend, pretty much, in the golden days of Warner and others...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3879 on: April 03, 2008, 08:41:42 PM »

I thought Leatherheads might do better than 15 this weekend. Or is this traditionally an exceptionally bad BO weekend (versus being an ordinary dumping ground weekend)?  I figure date movie-wise, LH is a flick that both guy and girl (or guy/guy or girl/girl, you never know) would go see -- using the old saw that the designated guy wants to be Clooney and the designated girl wants to be with Clooney.  It's a painless choice.

Plus it's had lots of publicity, but not the beat you over the head type; it's just been Cloonz, Zellwegger and Krasinski making some rounds, being interviewed at event-y party things, Letterman, etc. so the movie is just kind of in the back of your mind.  You know Leatherheads is out there or coming soon, but it's not waaaaay overhyped or anything.

I'll say $19,892,358.33 for Leatherheads.

Have I mentioned I'm always way wrong on this stuff?

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3880 on: April 03, 2008, 11:27:49 PM »

If the divining rod tingles, follow it where it goes, lass, they make these for the few and you will never know who unless you do:

Put a number on it, which you done did, to the cent, kid.

So rest child, finding numbers puts a spirit weary, but fear ye not, for you might be spot on, in the dawn of Monday morning when the curtains have withdrawn and we have a winner, brand new sinner,

...a progger and a slogger, no bother, enjoy the competition,

...but the fruition is costly and it lost me a movie or two from hubris and whew, from Scooby what to what Scooby Do..., painful in the mainful, but in the humor create a rumor of a comeback...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:33:53 PM by jbottle » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3881 on: April 04, 2008, 01:17:58 AM »

Barton,

Downey's role in Tropic Thunder? Tropic Thunder is a comedy, so don't take it too seriously....

Especially when directed by Ben Stiller (who, maybe, heard that you, me, and harrie were tired of seeing him on screen?)

But as for "Bruno", I laughed myself silly in the  Ali G. show series(2003) when he interviewed Brent Scowcroft who was the US National Security Advisor in 1990.

(previously he had conned Donald Trump; at the time, they did think that he was "black")
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3882 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »

jbottle, I will take your words of wisdom to heart.

madupont, I'm not that tired of Ben Stiller; I'm occasionally surprising myself by liking him, like in Night at the Museum, Royal Tennenbaums....okay, that's about it. Maybe the one where he and Ed Norton (Father Ed Norton in this case) are competing for Tea Leoni, that was a little different.  I'll confess, I even liked Zoolander, but not in any remotely serious way.   But I know he's pretty universally disliked around here (and/or other movie places); he kind of gets the automatic eye roll.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3883 on: April 04, 2008, 10:37:09 AM »

Harrie,

"Maybe the one where he and Ed Norton (Father Ed Norton in this case) are competing for Tea Leoni...."

This would have been a much more diverting film for me, had it starred Tea Leoni.  Alas, I think it was Jenna Elfman, daughter-in-law of Danny, tv wife of Greg, and real wife of Bodhi Pine Elfman, that was pitting Father Ed vs. Stiller.  Yes, that's really her spouse's name.  Borderline child abuse, Dan.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3884 on: April 04, 2008, 11:24:12 AM »

I was surprised that Jenna Elfman was in a situation comedy that lasted for several years since she has never done anything funny and without show-biz connections, would be, well, some chick.  I did like her in the underrated "Krippendorf's Tribe."  Gotcha.

I like Stiller, from directing "The Cable Guy," one of my favourite comedies, to "Mary," and I liked the parts of "Museum" I saw.  He kind of looks like a monkey more than the rest of us primates, but he's a funny guy and a real talent, he was over-exposed and got involved in the invariable romantic comedy mix and match with McCaughnahey, Barrymore, Hudson, Luke Wilson, Aniston, that whole mix-and-match.  So he just got over-exposed, and with "Museum," probably PAID, like really PAID.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: