Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 06:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52823 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2007, 12:14:34 AM »

I'll go way under on "Bug" - say, $5.12MM. 

I might check it out, if only for the tall bug-eyed guy in it.  I think he's a Steppenwolf (or whatever that Chicago theater is) stage guy.  He was in "Let's Go To Prison" - not many minutes on screen but he made the most of it, very funny as the leader of the white-power faction of inmates.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2007, 05:45:52 AM »

Oil, In regard to NCFOM, I would have to say that the lure was a chance for the Coen Bros. to do Peckinpah.  Sounds like the movie will have a lot of bag for its buck.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2007, 05:47:00 AM »

I'll say 160 on POC3, especially with many theatres showing the film 24 hours running.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2007, 09:50:12 AM »

I'll say 160 on POC3, especially with many theatres showing the film 24 hours running.

That's true, but at "POTC3"'s running time, 24 hours is only enough time for 2.5 screenings, maybe 3 if you don't run any previews.   I'll go $94MM.

BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

I guess it would be unconscionably cute for Harrie to see "Georgia Rule" while in Georgia.

Do I imagine this, or do writers seem to insist on setting incest plots in the South?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2007, 10:36:59 AM »

Do I imagine this, or do writers seem to insist on setting incest plots in the South?

I can only think of two incest movies that I've seen, "Spanking the Monkey", which I think was set in NY, and "The Grifters" which I think was set in California.

I know there are surely hundreds of incest movies out there that I haven't seen (or that I have seen and don't remember right now), many of which may be set in the South, for all I know.  "Spanking the Monkey" and "The Grifters" are just the only two that I've seen that come to mind right now.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »

"Chinatown" would be another obvious example.  But let's forget it, Oil, it's Chinatown.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2007, 11:15:41 AM »

Is that the 1980's one with Kurt Russell and those guys with all the crazy hats?  Rule of 2's with "Buckaroo Banzai", maybe?
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »

Sounds like a case of the Chinatown Syndrome to me.  Take two RNA pills and call me in the morning.  Though I'm more likely to answer to "Bart!"

Big Trouble ILC exceeds B. Banzai in some ineffable way, and shouldn't be Rulotwo'd with it.

BTW, I am one of the few people who also liked the sequel to Chinatown, The Two Jakes.  I thought Keitel ruled in TTJ, and was willing to forgive Nicholson for the "doggy style" scene.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2007, 12:46:41 PM »

BTW, I am one of the few people who also liked the sequel to Chinatown, The Two Jakes. 

"TTJ" is one of the weirder entries in the annals of spoonerism-titles.  Not as funny as that one by Darles Chickens, but still. 

BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2007, 12:53:11 PM »

That is a weird spoonerism. 

BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »

Films like Dumb and Dumber seem to be on safer ground, in that respect.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2007, 01:24:38 PM »

My nominee for Greatest Human Spoonerism of all time would be Raymond Floyd - Flamin'
Roid.

As to Greatest Movie Spoonerism, I'd have to give it some thought.  Yeah, I know, they made "A Sale of Two Ti**ies" into a movie, but I'd be in favor of considering Greatest Novel Spoonerism as its own category, and thus I'd be in favor of disqualifying it for consideration in the Greatest Movie Spoonerism category.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »

In "Miller's Crossing," Bernie Birnbaum says that his sister tried to show him a thing or two about the feminine wiles, i.e., flip him by having sex with him to get him on the heterosexual path, but he is untrustworthy so I don't know if that would qualify as "incest" or not, but it was an "incest joke" not set in the South.

Good observation on Peckinpah Coen.--looking forward to the slo-motion shootouts.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2007, 03:52:06 PM »

Good observation on Peckinpah Coen.--looking forward to the slo-motion shootouts.

Indeed it was a good observation by Dzimas.  I was in too much of a hurry to make a joke re: "POTC3" running time to acknowledge the Peckinpah-Coens thing, shame on me, etc. 

As I recall from reading the book, there's only one big shoot-out scene that actually takes place in the story.  There is another big shoot-out that starts the plot in motion, but that one already happened and the main character stumbles across the scene (dead bodies, shot-up SUV's, one of them with a bunch of heroin and piles of cash in the back, etc.) out in the desert long after (days, maybe?) the shoot-out took place. 

But still, the Peckinpah observation is a good one, i.e., it would not surprise me if, while watching "NCFOM", it occured to me that it's got a Peckinpah feel.  Already I'm thinking of "Bring Me The Head...," what with Warren Oates alone on the run from cold-blooded killers of varying stripes, etc.   In "NCFOM", Moss's (Moss'?) journey is similar, except, you know, for the whole head in the bag thing.

I remain skeptical or whatever of Josh Brolin's ability to play Moss, but I'm hoping he proves me 100% wrong.  I read in one of the reader-submitted reviews on IMDB that Woody Harrelson is great as Wells, (the more "civilized" of the professionals sent to hunt Moss down) which is weird because in the book he doesn't have much page time (or whatever the book equivalent is of screen-time), but I remember thinking he was an interesting character, especially in light of his counterpart, Chigurgh. 

Oscar time for Bardem?  Could be... Chigurgh is a psycho, or a sociopath or whatever, and he's philosophical and complex and so forth, so he might just catch the Academy voters' eye, who knows?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: