Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 05:46:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40686 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3885 on: April 04, 2008, 11:44:54 AM »

Harrie,

"Maybe the one where he and Ed Norton (Father Ed Norton in this case) are competing for Tea Leoni...."

This would have been a much more diverting film for me, had it starred Tea Leoni.  Alas, I think it was Jenna Elfman, daughter-in-law of Danny, tv wife of Greg, and real wife of Bodhi Pine Elfman, that was pitting Father Ed vs. Stiller.  Yes, that's really her spouse's name.  Borderline child abuse, Dan.

You are soooo right!  Betcha Tea Leoni will never forgive me for that one. 

Maybe I mixed it up with the movie where Mary Tyler Moore flashes her breasts -- pretty sure that one had Leoni and Stiller.  It's Flirting with Disaster - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116324/

I didn't hate Elfman's sitcom that much.  Some mornings, depending on what else is on, I'll even have Dharma & Greg (or Greg & Dharma, whatever) on.  But I do think the supporting players are/were a lot better than Elfman.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 11:51:34 AM by harrie » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3886 on: April 04, 2008, 12:38:52 PM »

Flirting with Disaster was pretty good, IIRC. 

Dharma's father was played by Bill Murray's brother.  I didn't catch any resemblance until it was pointed out to me.

"The Ruins" wasn't shown for reviewers here, usually a bad sign.  I'd guess Leatherheads would be the big BO this weekend, but I'm not gifted with any numerical skills in that area like Mr. Bottle.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3887 on: April 04, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »

"Leatherheads" got 3 stars from the Ebert site (not Roger, though) and 3 from Berardinelli, so the logic of negative reviews doesn't seem to be holding up from my limited sample so far, if it gets three stars and people want to go, they'll go.  I still like my number.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3888 on: April 04, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »

Dharma's father was played by Bill Murray's brother.  I didn't catch any resemblance until it was pointed out to me.

Not quite -- Alan Rachins played Dharma's dad; he was previously known as a sharky lawyer on LA Law.  Joel Muray plays Greg's law partner/best friend, and he's easily the funniest guy on the show, even if his part is a frat boy caricature.  I also like Mitchell Ryan, who played bazillions of tough guys, cops, etc. in the '90s '70s but is pretty funny as Greg's rich-guy Dad.  I never knew he had a comic bone in his body.  Susan Sullivan is pretty funny too, though she could just about trademark the part of the rich society lady who gets the zinger lines; she's played lots of them.   I guess I've watched just a little too much of that show....

I've read a couple of reviews of Leatherheads, and they weren't good -- but I think good, bad or indifferent, a certain number of people will usually go to the big flick that's opening; so I remian optimistic about my number as well. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:53:11 PM by harrie » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3889 on: April 04, 2008, 02:39:08 PM »

I don't know what "The Ruins" will do but it's based on a novel and so I'm going to say $13.131M.

Not quite Rule of 2's with "The Descent", but still, those who enjoyed "The Descent" might give "The Ruins" a look.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3890 on: April 04, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »

You're probably correct, sir, I have been "reading" the "novel" for a few months now to try to get back into reading fiction, but I'm not having much luck turning pages.  It's be a good beach read, I reckon.

Did you know that it's by the same guy who wrote the novel "A Simple Plan," I'm sure you did, but the novels are quite dissimilar, Scott Smith, know nothing about the guy other than that.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3891 on: April 04, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »

"Amateur Pro Novice" has just been greenlighted by "Fox Searchlight."

I mean, not really.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3892 on: April 05, 2008, 12:42:05 AM »

jbottle

I loved, A Simple Plan; almost as much, if not more so than, Pushing Tin.

Friday night entertainment was an accident, since no one probably knows Anne Fontaine, director?

I suddenly realized there was a movie on with Fanny Ardant, and it turned out to also have Gerard Depardieu and Emmanuelle Beart in a menage a trois or was it?  Oh, yes, it is called: Nathalie.  You may ask, who's Nathalie?  I'm not telling.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3893 on: April 05, 2008, 03:07:37 AM »

I always like Bill Pullman, only because I've watched a lot of movies, and he has that element where he is listening to the other person in the scene and he has that star, too, I thought he did a good job of holding the ship together, I mean, Thornton was over-pilgrimed like any other sad Oscar also-ran, and not-necessarily his fault but the reason I forgave it and gave it a chance and his character a chance was Pullman, I could have so hated that movie, and everybody was so good and they had no money and it wasn't "great," but I have the opinion that if you can make a story out of $5M bucks you done damn good, and I think that one was a break-even, which ain't usually true of a non-horror, non-couple movie.

I so love what I'm listening to while I'm talking, so here:

http://www.kovideo.net/lyrics/t/Tim-Easton/Poor-Poor-La.html

Hope that gets the lyrics there in some form:

[talking about spraypaint] "I've seen your imagination a mile above the halfway station.....you don't have to break your mother's heart to change the world..." anyway, sweet refrain, a whisper you would like to be able to deliver, etc.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3894 on: April 05, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »

Harrie, big woops, and I'm supposed to be minding the trivia forum over there.   Yes, Greg's law partner does indeed much resemble Bill Murray and is of course the bruthah aforementioned.   I usually fact-check in some rudimentary form, and I clearly didn't this time.   The slight Jewishness should have been a tip-off, though.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3895 on: April 05, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »

No biggie, barton -- I started it with the Leoni-Elfman confusion, after all.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3896 on: April 05, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »

"Leather" did 4.5 and was bested by "21" (the number) at 5M, while The ruins did 2.63, not a big night at the flicks, and the guru looking sound.  I'm surprised by the "legs" of "21," and by the ideat that a non-event movie could top the box-office in consecutive weeks, especially this time of year.

"White Noise," meet "21," "21" meet "White Noise," whick still had a star and was of a genre that has a loyal following (suspense/comedy, I meant "horror").
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3897 on: April 06, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/chart/

This "guru" is turning out to be more cunning than I thought, as was Captain Ron in "Captain Ron."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3898 on: April 06, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »

White Noise was silly, but kind of fun.

Finally saw Into the Wild and, in spite of cringing at a few scenes of the on-the-road looniness (our man converses with an apple and lavishes compliments on its flavor on said apple), found it compelling and having that ring of truth that any true-story genre piece should attain.  Terrific supporting work from Catherine Keener, Vince Vaughn, and Jena Malone, among others.  The film goes a long way towards making sense of the alienation and restless spirit that motivates members of the upper class to cut the family umbilicus and go feral, or try to anyway.  It earns its place in the lineage of wilderness classics -- Jeremiah Johnson, Man in the Wilderness, etc.  The essential observation of such films -- nature really wants you dead -- seems sound. 

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3899 on: April 06, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »

Obits: Moses by Charlton Heston
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: