Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 12:04:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 38582 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3900 on: April 06, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »

Get your filthy hands off me, you stinking ape!

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3901 on: April 07, 2008, 12:06:39 AM »

Immortal:  "Touch of Evil," nice run, if only that.

Of course I'm a great fan of the POTAS (series), and he was good in that:  It's actually a good movie in construction and cut for cut with the protracted beginning unthinkable in today's film, but anyway, sad that he may be better known of late as the NRA apologist and the guy that got jumped by Michael Moore, while he was trying to be a reasonable host.  I don't like his politics, but he had class, and when Moore, who will admit to not having "class" ("Class," we are in class warfare, ask the people of Flint...).  You bowl for Columbine and embarass a pro for your own self-aggrandizement.  So, fuck MM and RIP Heston.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3902 on: April 07, 2008, 10:59:12 AM »

An outstanding short film in the genre of hamsters and broccoli:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2253641/7101161&cache=1

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3903 on: April 07, 2008, 11:01:07 AM »

Did you know that it's by the same guy who wrote the novel "A Simple Plan," I'm sure you did, but the novels are quite dissimilar, Scott Smith, know nothing about the guy other than that.

I did not know that.  Didn't he also write the novel "Affliction"?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3904 on: April 07, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »

No biggie, barton -- I started it with the Leoni-Elfman confusion, after all.

Leoni-Elfman is a good human Rule of 2's.   Another is Scarjo-ZDesch.  Of course there's the Paxton-Pullman one, but that's just because they're both "Bill P" with 2-syllable/end-in-N last names.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3905 on: April 07, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »

Pretty sure Russell Banks wrote Affliction.  Banks also wrote the novel "The Sweet Hereafter," basis for film of same name.  A great novelist.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3906 on: April 07, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »

BTW, has anyone seen Richard Kelly's "southland Tales" -- his second film (Donnie Darko was his first).  It's in my queue, and I've heard some good buzz about it, but also that it has some real flaws which may or may not contribute to its brilliance.  The cast looks terrific, I'll say that.  Oilcan, did you mention seeing this a while back?

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3907 on: April 07, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »

Other requests for feedback....

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle -- has appeared in my queue, at urgings of people who may or may not be my real friends; in any case, the consensus is that this is a comedy that really delivers the laughs.  And should, of course, be a prerequisitive viewing if I have plans to attend the late April premiere, in which the duo go to Guantanamo Bay.

Street Kings -- screenplay by James Ellroy?  Cast incl. Keanu Reeves, Forrest Whittaker, and Hugh Laurie?  Is non-attendance really an option?

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3908 on: April 07, 2008, 12:09:58 PM »

I liked Harold & Kumar -- it had absolutely no redeeming social value, and was essentially a fun waste of time.  Really funny (IMO, anyway) in some spots, potty- or fridge-break worthy in a couple of spots, but overall I liked it.  (Consider yourself warned.)

Funny thing I heard on Wait, Wait... about H&K -- they had Neil Patrick Harris written into the movie as himself.  A friend or associate of some kind of NPH's got wind of it, knew the gist of the flick, and warned NPH that he'd better take legal action to stop the movie or get his character removed from the script.  NPH read the script to see what was so offensive, thought it was really funny and essentially volunteered to play himself.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3909 on: April 07, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »

Thanks, Harrie.   Are there any stoner comedies that have redeeming social value, btw?   The very concept boggles the mind.

I didn't even know who NP Harris was until he appeared in that recent Meeting Your Mother sitcom.  His character seemed the type that would appeal to 14 year old boys.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3910 on: April 07, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »

I didn't even know who NP Harris was until he appeared in that recent Meeting Your Mother sitcom.  His character seemed the type that would appeal to 14 year old boys.

So you've really honestly never heard of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096569/ ?   Oh you lucky man....

Yeah, stoner comedies are generally short on socially redeeming values, but I didn't want to be accused of selling a bill of goods or anything.  Like that box office barometric device I spent a fortune on, and it looks like I'd better invest in a more sophisticated model, you know?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3911 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:22 PM »

"Are there any stoner comedies that have redeeming social value, btw?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106677/

On the other hand:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111293/

This was somewhat redeeming look at Cal St./San Diego, with a good supporting perf by Affleck:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116422/

The following was a near-great look at a particular region of the country that had integrity and then bailed in favor of a whatever weed flick, as if the studio pulled the plug and they had to write a quick ending, better than it had any right to be, and almost "classic," in the stoner sense.  "Dude, that was 'classic.'"
And not really in the AFI sense of "Classics":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119305/

Note:  That's my short window of early-'90's films where the kind bud plays a prominent role except for in she second one there is a concentration on "dirt weed," that is discouraging, and a strange affection for all things "Blue Oyster Cult," who was, one would posit "burning for [them]."

Id rather not address the Cheech and Chong films where it's supposed to be taken for granted that the fact that you are getting high is and of itself "funny," which I don't think is true. 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3912 on: April 07, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »

Pretty sure Russell Banks wrote Affliction. 

Whoops!!  My bad, I don't know why I got confused with the Scott Smith thing.  Maybe it was all the snow in "A Simple Plan"?  Anyways, my bad, thanks for going easy on me in making the correction.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3913 on: April 07, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »

Thanks, Harrie.   Are there any stoner comedies that have redeeming social value, btw?   

"The Big Lebowski"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3914 on: April 07, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »

Barton,

I found some old time photos today, and I think that you deserve the first one for remembering I probably had Viggo Mortensen up my trivia sleeve.  This is the original Old Time Viggo, before he hit it; the bottom angle makes him look suspiciously like Mariel Hemingway's theoretic twin brother.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/4476         VM
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: