Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 09:40:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41179 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3915 on: April 07, 2008, 06:07:16 PM »

This is of course for Harrie ( and Dzimas, as well)

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/4001         JC
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3916 on: April 07, 2008, 10:28:03 PM »

Yeah, oil, I didn't even think of Lebo just because it was so much later than the early 90's when (actually it's set) as far as the series of stoner movies that came out...

..."Dazed and Confused" had more of a "stoner view of the world" that was more '77, I guess, like, let's get people together and have a beer bust/get high, but it has that "blowback" scene where geek vs. tough, is like "you smell marijuana, well I'm the one getting high here motherfucker," where it's like, yeah, asshole trumps feelgood that is not universally shared, etc., but Adam Goldberg is kind of happy, even though he is not stoned, to have a real experience, and been in a fight, overall D&C is kind of a nostalgic coming of age film that recognizes certain truths, or at least truths in time, and Randall "Pink" Floyd, stoner QB is still bright enough to call the smart kids "___ & Bernstein," like ATPM, so there are really no stereotypes that don't bleed into each other, the redhead smart one still falls for the muscular townie (McCaughnahey) who shows her some attention, and the movie has a real feel of sociological confidence, as well as winking at all the conventions that make high school bearable and unbearable at the same time, the petty rites of passage, the necessary and profound rites of passage, all intertwined in a time that goes by too fast...

"Dazed and Confused" is one of my favourite movies, because the observations are for the most part, with the scope it had, detalied enough to almost be documentary about the subject, but suffused with enough easy drama to make us care what happens, great tone, nearly perfect film...better than it had any right to be, and more thoughtful than, well, anything that isn't overthought and still a film instead of a thesis.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:30:32 PM by jbottle » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3917 on: April 08, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »

Classing TBL as a stoner comedy seems pretty restrictive.  Slacker comedy-noir toe-farce is, I believe, the formal category.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3918 on: April 08, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »

I thought it was a bowling movie.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3919 on: April 08, 2008, 02:41:58 PM »

I thought it was a screwball comedy with a nihilist twist.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3920 on: April 08, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »

From the IMDB on Cruise fall:

"The decision by MGM and United Artists to delay the release of the Tom Cruise starrer Valkyrie until next February has raised a lot of eyebrows in Hollywood. The film, directed by Bryan Singer, was originally set for release on June 27, then moved to October to place it in contention for Oscar nominations -- in particular, one for Cruise, who has been nominated three times (once for best supporting actor, twice for best actor). But the film has been plagued with nasty rumors -- in particular, one claiming that Cruise's German accent in the film is laughably bad. (He plays the leader of a plot by German generals to assassinate Hitler during World War II.) A release in February lessens the film's chances for Oscar recognition, but Clark Woods, MGM's distribution chief, told Daily Variety, "Having seen a lot of the film and how great it is going to play once it's finished, moving into a big holiday weekend is the right move." However, several movie columnists have noted that President's Day is not "a big holiday weekend" and that the studio likely slotted it into that period because the competition will be weak. In the meantime, they added, the delay would give the studio added time to reshoot scenes and allow Cruise to work with a dialect coach to perfect his accent and rerecord some of his lines."

Dumping ground, and don't think he doesn't know this.  Bryan Singer doesn't really make bad movies, so it has to be that Cruise is a laughing stock as it stands now.

Looks like another Cruise-Starring mega-flop.  Oscar Contention?  LOL But February? You want to put it in February?  This is a distributor looking Wagner/Cruise in the face and going "Nope."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3921 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »

I thought it was a bowling movie.

Bowling Noir
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3922 on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »

jbottle,re:#3935

I'm glad you said that and not I; about the Cruising Valkyrie.

Heard about it, way back, possibly in UK media;that the Germans were really riled that anyone should think to do such a film.--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bendler_Block_Memorial.jpg

"Stauffenberg and fellow officers General Olbricht, Lieutenant von Haeften, and Oberst Albrecht Mertz von Quirnheim were shot before 01:00 a.m. that night (July 21, 1944) by a makeshift firing squad in the courtyard of the Bendlerblock, which was lit by the headlights of a truck."

"...the executed officers (his former co-conspirators) receive an immediate burial with military honors in the Matthäus Churchyard in Berlin's Schöneberg district. Today there is a stone in memorial of this event. The next day, however, Stauffenberg's body was exhumed by the SS, stripped of his medals, and cremated."

"Another central figure in the plot was Stauffenberg's eldest brother, Berthold Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg. On 10 August 1944, Berthold was tried before Judge-President Roland Freisler in the special "People's Court" (Volksgerichtshof). This court was established by Hitler for political offenses and Berthold was one of eight conspirators executed by slow strangulation (reputedly with piano wire used as the garrote) in Plötzensee Prison, Berlin, later that day. More than two hundred (others speak of more than a thousand fellow conspirators) were condemned in mock trials and executed.

One generation later, 35 years after the end of the war, the German government established a memorial for the failed anti-Nazi resistance movement in a part of the Bendlerblock, the remainder of which currently houses the Berlin offices of the German Ministry of Defense (whose main offices remain in Bonn). The Bendlerstrasse was renamed the Stauffenbergstrasse, and the Bendlerblock now houses the Memorial to the German Resistance, a permanent exhibition with more than 5,000 photographs and documents showing the various resistance organisations at work during the Hitler era. The courtyard where the officers were shot on July 21, 1944, is now a site of remembrance with a plaque commemorating the events and includes a memorial bronze figure of a young man with his hands symbolically bound which resembles Count von Stauffenberg."

The Germans currently do not, however, feel that Tom Cruise sufficiently resembles the man who plotted--"Stauffenberg was aware that by German law (then and now) he was about to commit high treason"..."Stauffenberg's part in the original plan required him to stay at the Bendlerstrasse offices in Berlin, from where he would phone regular Army units all over Europe and the Reich in an attempt to convince them to arrest leaders of Nazi political organizations such as the Sicherheitsdienst* and the Gestapo. Unfortunately, he found himself forced to do both, to kill Hitler far away from Berlin and to trigger the military machine in Berlin during the office hours of the very same day. He was the only conspirator who had regular access to Hitler (during his briefing meetings) by mid 1944, as well as being the only officer among the conspirators who was considered to have the resolve and persuasive power to convince German military leaders to throw in with the coup once Adolf Hitler was dead."

*SD had two divisions Inland-SD and Ausland-SD, if you are interested in looking up the description with the specific departments for observation by intelligence.  Inland-SD was the equivalent of our Homeland Security, an unfortunate choice of wording as a title under current administration.  But then, Graf von Stauffenberg was a Roman Catholic; Tom Cruise is a, what do they call it again?

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3923 on: April 09, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »

"I thought it was a bowling movie."

Yes, and Citizen Kane was a sledding movie.   And Lawrence of Arabia was a camping movie.  And Barton Fink, of course, was a wrestling movie. 

My theory is that all truly great movies are about....everything.  Somewhere in the special alchemy that occurs when said film is absorbed by a viewer's brain, the narrative opens up like some complex fractal formation and yields to the seeker whatever it is that is the object of the seeking.   For me, it is all about having a rug that really ties the room together, an aesthetic manifesto that rumbles like a foghorn down through the millenia.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3924 on: April 09, 2008, 05:12:23 PM »

"Barton Fink" was a "Wrestling 'Picture'," technically.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3925 on: April 09, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »

BEN GEISLER

Wallace Beery.  Wrestling picture.  What do you need, a road map?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:21:55 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3926 on: April 09, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »

LIPNIK
Look at "Hell Ten Feet Square".

LOU
"Blood, Sweat, and Canvas".

LIPNIK
Look at "Blood, Sweat, and Canvas".  These are big movies, Fink.  About big men - in tights - both physically and mentally.  But especially physically.  We don't put Wallace Beery in some fruity movie about suffering - I thought we were together on that!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3927 on: April 09, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »

She even tried her femine wiles on me a few times, this screwy idea...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3928 on: April 09, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »

LEO

Goddamkid's just like a twist.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3929 on: April 10, 2008, 12:24:20 PM »

Strange box-office weekend ahead, you have the remake of "Prom Night" which will do pretty well I would think other than if it's an "R" which could keep "kids" out; something called (unfortunately) "Smart People," a Quaid/Sarah Jessica Parker romantic comedy I've seen no ads for which could test the box-office resiliency of co-star Ellen Page, who "Juno" fans might follow but I'm doubting that thesis because nobody even knows she's in it as far as I can tell, and the most interesting offering "Street Kings," a must-be-horrible Keanu/Whitaker/Hugh Laurie/Cedric the Entertainer/Jay Mohr film that is too well-cast, seemingly, not to be given more release-date "Street Cred," unless of course it sucks which evidently it does.  I bet it went into production around the same time as the Crowe/Denzel cop movie and has been sitting in the can since (just a hunch).  Probably a quick-write that ain't quite right.

Gitesh has been hammering me so I'm going to go all conventional wisdom on his @ss without trying to get my head a way for one of these film to breakout.

"Prom Night":  No brainer, horror, fans are there, $16.493M

"Street Kings":  12.975M

"Smart People":  $8.439M

And you figure "21" to finish third at worst maybe second, first would be a phenom, and we are likely to see more young gambler movies as a result.  Looking at "21," John Dahl must be wondering what "Rounders" could do now.  Budgeted at $12M and taking in only $8.5 opening it was still a money-maker, but it would be huge now, 10 years before it's time, doesn't seem like that long ago but it was a 1998 picture.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: