Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 25, 2018, 03:54:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51749 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3930 on: April 10, 2008, 12:25:42 PM »

Guru:  15, 10, 3, respek.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3931 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »

"Street Kings" is an Ellroy idea and he co-scripted.  He must've pitched it and then co-written with screenwriters (as a novelist) or just punched it up, anyway, he's usually associated with more celebrated fare.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3932 on: April 10, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »

As a film, Rounders blows 21 out of the water, but the john q. public, the great unwashed masses, the body politic, seems  to like all the shiny Vegas lights and bosomy hookers and menacing ballpeen hammers and such -- no matter how cliched it becomes, both tv and films seem deeply invested these days in the slick surfaces and underlying grease traps of Vegas.  And it's mostly deeply boring.  I haven't bothered to see 21, but would re-watch Rounders in a heartbeat.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3933 on: April 10, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »

I'm looking for the Sarah Jessica Parker flick to go a little lower than the guru says.  She doesn't make terrible movies, but they never seem to do well.  The only one I can really recall is the Nicolas Cage and James Caan one from way back. Okay, there was a baddish one with Luke Wilson (I think) more recently, but I don't believe it made any money either.  (And to wander off, what is it with Luke Wilson making all these really bad flicks? He's not that bad an actor, I thought.)  Anyway, I guess the Sex and the City movie will do well because it has a built-in, near fanatical audience (which I just don't get, but there you go) so SJP may eventually be vindicated; but I don't think Smart People is going to do it for her.

And this may be dangerous information to leak, but there may be a Winona Ryder sighting in my future. Keanu Reeves is much more likely, as he's already been seen around, but I am under the impression that Ms. Ryder is a hot commodity in this forum. Also in the flick that's filming are Monica Bellucci, Julianne Moore, Robin Wright Penn and Alan Arkin.  It's called The Private Lives of Pippa Lee or something close to that.  So I'll be doing lots of casual dog walking in the coming weeks.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3934 on: April 10, 2008, 02:46:15 PM »

harrie, I get the impression they are filming on your dog-walking route?
(Done everywhere there is a shoot.)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3935 on: April 10, 2008, 03:18:07 PM »

To catch a glimpse of Alan Arkin, ummmmph.

(sorry)

My favourite SJP movie is "Striking Distance," where she is the female buddy-cop to Bruce Wills on the Pittsburgh River Patrol, the best is that that's totally silly, and the killer plays "Little Red Riding Hood" right before he kills you, and there are plenty of red herring in the river to marvel at along the way.  I love, and I mean love this kind of movie.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3936 on: April 10, 2008, 04:19:26 PM »

madupont, yes and no.  And an emphatic yes to the parenthetical item.  Seriously, they're filming in Southbury, and there's a really nice dog park complete with a stream/brook thing in Southbury.  So yeah, it's on the route in an indirect, drive for 15-20 minutes way.  The filming is being done at Heritage Village, a condo setup for older folks, so I don't think we'll cross paths with any Major Motion Picture Stars.

jbottle, re Arkin, he used to come in the store where I worked in high school, and he's a really nice guy.  Or at least, he was 20-odd years ago.  Which doesn't mean I necessarily will swoon at the sight of him, you're right. 

Re SJP, that's exactly what I mean -- her movies aren't particularly bad, or any worse than most other releases, but she just doesn't sell movie tickets. Now that I've said that, the movie will probably go all boffo at the BO. 

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3937 on: April 10, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »

"...go a little lower than the guru says..."

He has it at 3, in 1,100 theaters any you're saying lower than three, wow, you must think it's one of those movies where you hear:  "You might want to wait for the DVD, then you might want to wait a little longer..."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3938 on: April 10, 2008, 04:21:52 PM »

No, I'm more likely swoon over Belluci, but I'd rather meet Arkin, he's a legend.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3939 on: April 10, 2008, 04:31:31 PM »

"...go a little lower than the guru says..."

He has it at 3, in 1,100 theaters any you're saying lower than three, wow, you must think it's one of those movies where you hear:  "You might want to wait for the DVD, then you might want to wait a little longer..."

I do enjoy that saying immensely, and here it actually fits perfectly.

So doing the rough math, $3M in 1,100 theatres = $2,700 per theater.  Each theater having it for, say, nine shows over the weekend = $300 per showing.   Say tickets are $8, that's about 35 people in the theater per showing.   Ouch. 

Though one of my favorite movie-going experiences was watching Apocalypse Now with six other people in the theater when it came out.  But somehow I don't think this Smart People flick would have quite the same impact.  Oh, well, guess Ellen Page will not beat the sophomore slump.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3940 on: April 10, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »

And awesome call on the Tom Cruise/Valkyrie flick, jbottle and madupont.  I read something about it in the gossips the day after you broke the story, jbottle.  I think it also said that Cruise and Sumner Redstone (that's who canned him a while back, right?) talking about getting back together, film-wise.

Which is why I think show biz is so funny -- you can get fired because you're not drawing like you used to; go make a couple flicks that do "eh" business; have your latest flick relegated to the big dumping ground of February release; and then talk to the guy who canned you about teaming up again, as long as you promise not to jump on any more couches.  Wish my job worked that way!
Urethra_Franklin
Superhero Member

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3941 on: April 10, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »

Has anyone seen "Be Kind REwind?"

I can't decide if I want to see it....I absolutely love Jack Black, but the premise seems to be a bit....retarded

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3942 on: April 10, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »

jbottle,

To catch a glimpse of Alan Arkin, ummmmph.

(sorry)

My favourite SJP movie is "Striking Distance," where she is the female buddy-cop to Bruce Wills on the Pittsburgh River Patrol, the best is that that's totally silly, and the killer plays "Little Red Riding Hood" right before he kills you, and there are plenty of red herring in the river to marvel at along the way.  I love, and I mean love this kind of movie.

Oh, that Monica Bellucci(from  Perugia, where the chocolates come from...humm,yum), and here I'm thinking Monica Vitti but that didn't make sense in terms of your other post as she's almost 50 years older now.

I will admit,however that when you first mentioned her name, I said to myself:
"Didn't know John had a sister...."

Strangely, your favourite SJP is also my only favourite Bruce Willis. Except for the movie where Demi kills him. That was a great movie.

Whatsa matta, you didn't see Alan do Wait Until Dark where he scares you and Audrey Hepburn to death? In the course of looking up the title to be sure I had it correctly, it was reassuring to find out what he thought of it,
"Disliked filming the scene in Wait Until Dark (1967) where his character Harry Roat Jr terrorizes Suzy Hendrix played by Audrey Hepburn."  So, harrie is probably quite right that he is a nice man.

You would not have known he disliked it , though.  Also while in there, rustling through his private thoughts, proved to me what an impression this movie made upon me, because I rediscover that he played Sigmund Freud in The Seven Percent Solution and I could not ever really remember it.  I can picture it because I recall the film with Williamson, that odd man who played Hamlet, but I have to work real hard to completely get the impressive therpeutics Freud came up with through Arkin's emphatic Russian-German Yiddish accented English.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3943 on: April 10, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »

Hars:  I didn't "break" the story, if there was any confusion, I was quoting directly from an IMDB article on the subject.

My thoughts on it being relegated to the dumping ground were my own, but the IMDB may well (having a bit of a British tabloid slant every so often) have been a little snarky in suggesting the way the film was moved from a summer release, to October, to Feb.

We know that this means that it's not a good movie and the dialogue talk is to put the blame on Cruise and his company, it's a politically unpopular movie, and the October "Oscar" release was a ruse to keep Tom happy as everybody plays the blame game until MGM steps in and says we're not distributing it on our dime in the summer, nor fall, it's Feb.  And Paula Wagner cusses them out and then apologizes and that's that.  I figure that's how it works anyway.  "Lions for Lambs," with an Oscar release with Redford, Streep, Cruise, was one of the biggest bombs of last year, and someone, probably the distributor (the stars worked for the back end) took a big bath and it's the first United Artists release, and (crickets).  This was the movie of 2007 that people consciously avoided, they knew it was there, and they collectively said--that's the movie I know I don't want to see this weekend, and it's "fool me once...," so the distributor dangles the idea of Oscar for a face-save or even a complicated sort of "go f*** yourself and UA..." but with a smile, naturally.  It can't take more than a couple of hours to fix the accent, that seems to be the excuse, but it's a "bad movie" on different levels to be sure.  Kevin Costner said f*** it, I'm not doing a British accent all the way through "Robin Hood" if they're going to play a Bryan Adams song in the middle of it and we can shove it down their throats with marketing, and right now I'm a star.  And it was a "good" movie, and Cosnter was right not to care, I respect him for understanding the picture business even if he's an @sshole.  But what we are mainly experiencing is a crisis of confidence around the Cruise brand where all they have to fear is fear itself.  Bring in a crack editor, sell it like it's "Shindler's List," f*** the German bad press and just stick it to them.  Except not. 

That's what's so funny about it, it's got nothing to do with sense or logic or product, and everything about how scared you are to make someone like it with money??  Too scared in this case.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:19:35 PM by jbottle » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3944 on: April 10, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »

The above are my observations as an outsider looking in, it took me a long time to even learn that Feb. and Sept. are where you dump bad product, take the tax loss, relieve the pressure from the people who spent their valuable time on something by giving it a theatrical release at all looking to the future where that person may be valuable to you, it's better than something going straight to video, because if that person is ever back in a position of power, karma sucks, that's my read, but with Cruise, eh, never feel sorry for a guy with a plane.  He's got the money to run a studio, but he needs to get out of the Tom Cruise business if he wants distributors to take him seriously.  It's kind of like shitting where you eat in the restaurant you own.  Like, don't do it, because ultimately, you want somebody to blame when 'twas vanity kilt the cat, who launched millions of pairs of not only Aviators but Wayfarers, damn interesting stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: