Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 06:35:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34105 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3945 on: April 10, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »

Hars:  I didn't "break" the story, if there was any confusion, I was quoting directly from an IMDB article on the subject.

jbot, I took liberties and equated bringing up the topic here to breaking the story - didn't mean to go crazy, but guess I did.   I read that just about the only problem with Valkyries is Cruise's terrible, terrible accent and that they will indeed be relooping. I can't remember if the director is staying available for this process or having to make himself available for it; but either way, I think the film is too cursed to do anything but tank.  Could it be as big a debacle as Battlefield Earth?  We can only hope.....

madupont, I loved Wait Until Dark even before I knew who Arkin was. Great flick!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3946 on: April 10, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »

With Arkin I think mainly of "The In-Laws," "Catch-22," "Slums of Beverly Hills," "Glengarry Glenross," and I thought he did a good turn in the amiable if slightly over-rated "Little Miss Sunshine" (kinda the "Sideways" of 2006), anyway, I think his deadpan humor is great, he's a rare funny talent, and has continued to always be funny throughout his career, which makes him not peerless, but in a small group of very-funny screen talents.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3947 on: April 10, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »

What, not The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Comng?

I also liked Arkin in a TV series (on A&E network, I seem to recall) that came and went called "100 Center Street" (I think) that had a much more realistic take on crim. justice than before (pre-"The Wire" anyway)--he played a judge dealing with mostly low level criminals in NYC, and he had a black female judge friend who was pretty fine, as well as a fragile druggie daughter trying to make a new start but resenting having to get help from dad & stepmom...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3948 on: April 10, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »

All judges are female and black on tv, we know this to be a truism.

No, just watching "Vacancy," and is seems to be a meth-addled story about not leaving the hotel room at any cost.

Just like "Night at the Museum" was about somebody who got weirded out on the purple bud and with the security-job gig that was above his pay grade it was a conichiywa, or whatever.

Same way "Vacancy," but the way Wilson is scratching at his arm in some scenes make it obvious that it's a drug allegory/parody, where, if you don't have the money for the normal white anxiety of "Breakdown" vs. redneck meth-heads bent on torture and suffering, then if you can get a hotel, and shoot everything in a room, handshake, three-week shoot, and we all make money.

Writing the thing must've been a drag, and the success it brought.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3949 on: April 10, 2008, 10:34:04 PM »

I liked a lot of TRAC, TRAC but they lose me every time with the little girl rescue bit.

So Vacancy is a bit like Bug, it sounds like.  I may have to check it out.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3950 on: April 11, 2008, 01:17:56 AM »

harrie,re:#3960

"madupont, I loved Wait Until Dark even before I knew who Arkin was. Great flick!"

Yes, absolutely my favourite Arkin (because I have even forgotten: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers).

So, I guess that I knew who he was, by then. Only problem, he sort of resembled someone I met in the interim between watching him perform and build his career. A guy from Bergen county,New Jersey, whose wife was a friend of mine, sporadically, for more than ten years. Then,Wait Until Dark came along and scared me to pieces because I recognized the similarity in my friend's husband, the potential to eventually go too far.

I can still visualize that downstairs apartment below street level.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3951 on: April 11, 2008, 01:25:44 AM »

nytempsperdu,re:#3962
"I also liked Arkin in a TV series (on A&E network, I seem to recall) that came and went called "100 Center Street" (I think) that had a much more realistic take on crim. justice than before (pre-"The Wire" anyway)--he played a judge dealing with mostly low level criminals in NYC, and he had a black female judge friend who was pretty fine,..."

I found that fascinating, while it was there.   Had never quite imagined there was such a place, so this had to be made up: 100 Center Street  was just too pat; had to be a fictious name for, what is after all, a necessity in urban life but, in greater metropolitan live, an even greater necessity.  I remember Arkin's character's wife, in the kitchen before he went to work for the day or when he came home although I can't remember who she was?

The black female judge, however, is Samuel Jackson's wife.  The one who convinced him to be an actor/to stick with acting.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3952 on: April 11, 2008, 01:57:01 AM »

I've had "Bug" for going on 2mnths now, might give it a whirl.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3953 on: April 11, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »

Harrie, 

"(And to wander off, what is it with Luke Wilson making all these really bad flicks? He's not that bad an actor, I thought.)"

Has crossed my mind, too.  His absence from Darjeeling Limited puzzled me -- three brothers, one is Owen, why not Luke as one of the others?  And he could have gotten naked with Natalie Portman in that Hotel Chevalier short that came with.  And call me nitpicky, but isn't it cool to cast people who resemble each other as brothers?

So it looks like Luke is the "normal" brother and is accordingly selling out with lite romantic comedies and such. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3954 on: April 11, 2008, 10:38:42 AM »

Why didn't anybody tell me that George Clooney went blond (or, blond highlights?) for, Leatherheads?

And, I saw the previews way back in February, when I went to There Will Be Blood. Never suspected.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3955 on: April 11, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »

Luke is on the Ben Affleck 5 year pass, meaning pass on nothing when they are offering you $5-8M to say words.  It's a business model.  All romantic comedies are bad:  They will simply make them without you where you don't get a check.

Sounds cynical, but if you're not sure about longevity in the business, work your ass off save your money, find you some acreage on a shady lane, etc., it's not like you have to quit, but you may have to quit being wanted, and if you don't want to not be wanted:  Career, witness clear, Ben and Luke's approach my dears.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the office for Ben:  He spent so much time on set with Woo, Bay, and others, that he gleaned enough about the cost and the process to make "Gone Baby Gone," so that happy accident, an education in the doing, happened in the process.

Owen has a heroin addiction, which is evidently horrible.  Was seen with Kate again though, not that it's a cure but if she could hold him down for a week, who knows what for those crazy kids.

I've never tried heroin, but if I had a heroin addiction, I would get stoned on the best weed I could and drink beer administered every ten min. or so, and then take a non-lethal dose of sleeping pills.  Slow down the beers as you maintain very high levels of marijuana, watching "Carlito's Way" every other day promptly at 6:30 to to shut out the evening news.  No newspapers, nor contact familial or friendly, other than with the administrator, who must tolerate any non-physical threats of violence.  I'm not sure about the clinical efficacy of such a regimen, but I digress.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3956 on: April 11, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »

The patented jbottle 5-Or-So-Step Program -- sounds good to me.  You're right, of course -- take the money and run. 

Saw Rushmore a while back, and was surprised to find that the other Wilson brother -- the invisible one (Andrew?) -- is the best-looking one of the bunch. IMO, anyway.  Oh, how the irony runs rampant.  Wtih all due respect, I'm not sure Ms. Hudson is the best company for an addict to keep.  Just my ultra-judgmental opinion.

madupont, I hate it when men do the highlight thing, especially someone as dark as Clooney. I still haven't forgiven him for that Caesear 'do years back.  So, I'm glad I missed that bit.  And apparentlly, Clooney's movies (that is, his productions, not films that he's just in) historically do pretty badly at the box office. There was a graphic in the WSJ today to that effect.  Even Michael Clayton was not exactly a blockbuster, IIRC.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3957 on: April 11, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

Brad Pitt doesn't generally make money, either, so, however that works.

Andrew Wilson has some very funny moments in "Bottle Rocket" as the older brother who makes fun of the slacker "gang."

When Owen and Luke are on a scooter together in yellow jumpsuits, Andrew rolls up in a golf cart and says "Where'd you get those outfits [friend trying to contain laughter]," and that's when...

...after they drive off, Owen says "What is wrong with those guys, did you see how they were dressed"/"Yeah, It was pretty cool..."

Luke:  "I'm in..." [OW, elated]

Anyway, Andrew gets at least three good laughs playing the country-club snob, need to see it again, I realize (can't quote it like I used to be able to...).
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3958 on: April 11, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »

Wes Anderson's shit is beginning to become redundant

The musical score of his films almost make them unbearable

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3959 on: April 11, 2008, 03:50:24 PM »

Outside of "Bottle Rocket" and "Rushmore," which are near-perfect, I can see where the "too twee" and "agonizingly quaint" is a legitimate beef, but I've liked them all, haven't seen "The Dajeering Limited" yet.

Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: