Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 11:31:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33990 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3960 on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »

Outside of "Bottle Rocket" and "Rushmore," which are near-perfect, I can see where the "too twee" and "agonizingly quaint" is a legitimate beef, but I've liked them all, haven't seen "The Dajeering Limited" yet.

Word.  I saw "TDL" and the best jokes were the ones in which Owen Wilson was being Dignan.  Oh, and do NOT (I mean, really, DON'T) get there early and see the short-movie they run before the real movie, with Natalie Portman and Jason Schwartzman in the hotel room.   Natalie Portman naked should be way up on the list of things that should not be viewed by human eyes, trust me on this.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3961 on: April 12, 2008, 10:32:42 AM »

Oilcan, re

"I saw "TDL" and the best jokes were the ones in which Owen Wilson was being Dignan."

I had the same impression when I watched TDL.  Somehow I didn't think Jason Schwartzman worked in that one, and I can't quite say how, but it wasn't just that he didn't seem like one of Owen Wilson's brothers.  Maybe he was the most "twee" element.

I don't get your crusade against Natalie's butt, but "de gustibus non est disputandum." 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3962 on: April 12, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

"Prom Night," which has a pg-13 rating did a respectable 9+, "Street Kings" 4+, and "Smart People" 1.4, but has a slightly-better per-theater average than "21" and is in only 1,100 theaters vs. "21" still holding on for third with 3.2 on 2,700 screens.

So, "Prom Night" looks good for me vs. guru, as my number is higher than his but not so impressive a win if PN does 23 or something in that range, meaning we both missed the call.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3963 on: April 12, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »

I'm not sure this really belongs here, but it is a short of sorts, and IIRC oilcan likes Chris Elliott.  This is what he's been up to lately.  (It's probably really funny if you're familiar with Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, and maybe a little funny if you're not.)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/applehome/?action=view&current=Eliott-KNightmare.flv

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3964 on: April 13, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »

I finally bested the guru on the #1 pic for the first time in a while, but it's sorta smallish potatoes, since it posted between 21-22, a good 20 percent above my pick and around 25 per. higher than the guru.  I'll take it, a win's a win.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3965 on: April 13, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

I'll take the 12.9 I put on SK as a legitimate win (it did 12-something), with the guru saying 10, but he got me (and harzy) on his 3 number (hars said lower) when it did 4.5, but I was way off at 8 or something.

It did play in about half the theaters of the other, and if I were to  extrapolate...no, but see that would make me a number-muncher and those guy you can get 12 for 10 cent.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3966 on: April 13, 2008, 05:10:10 PM »

I finally bested the guru on the #1 pic for the first time in a while, but it's sorta smallish potatoes, since it posted between 21-22, a good 20 percent above my pick and around 25 per. higher than the guru.  I'll take it, a win's a win.

It's like The Price is Right. Whether you beat the other guy by $1 or $10,000, you still get to drive the Winnebago home.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3967 on: April 13, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »

Dude, you win a Winnebago, you ARE home.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3968 on: April 13, 2008, 07:36:22 PM »

At $3.25 a gallon thought it's like the gift that keeps on swerving. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3969 on: April 13, 2008, 10:26:43 PM »

$3.25! -- that's a steal in my neck of the woods.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3970 on: April 14, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »

I'm not sure this really belongs here, but it is a short of sorts, and IIRC oilcan likes Chris Elliott. 

Mark it!!  Thanks Harrie.  Chris Elliott might be my favorite humorist ever. 

It's great that his dad is Bob Elliott, too.  I heard some Bob & Ray on a satellite radio program a while back, and it's one of those things that is hilarious but doesn't make you laugh.  Like, you sit there and listen, and you don't laugh, but the whole time you're thinking, wow, this is really funny, these guys are really smart to have come up with these jokes, etc.

For a very quick and funny read, check out Chris Elliott's book, Daddy's Boy, A Son's Shocking Account of Life With A Famous Father (or something like that), which an ersatz Mommie Dearest, complete with "rebuttal" chapters written by Bob, in which he spends one paragraph denying Chris' allegations and 10+ pararaphs writing about things like a Finnan Haddie Fesitval in Maine or whatever. 

Chris has written a couple of other books, which I'll get to and report back as soon as it's done.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 01:26:36 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3971 on: April 14, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

My parents had a Bob & Ray LP, which has vanished alas.  It was hilarious and, as in the case of the routine you mentioned, some routines were not LOL funny but really humorous nonetheless.  Several had the formula of Ray (I think it was) representing some really improbable organization, and Bob would be interviewing him -- killer stuff.  I'm going to find the book you mentioned -- the ersatz mommie-dearest/rebuttal thing sounds like a hoot.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3972 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:25 AM »

I can hear the soft rustle of tumbleweeds blowing through this thread.

Just saw Bubba Ho-Tep (finally!) -- a fine addition to the Still Living Elvis Struggling with Penile Tumor and Shot Hip in East Texas Rest Home Finding Redemption through Doing Battle With Southern Style Mummy that Sucks Souls Out of Old Folks' Anuses genre.  It's a neglected branch of American cinema, though some might say rightfully so.  I, for one, am looking forward to a Bubba Nosferatu or Night of the Living Bubbas, myself.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3973 on: April 17, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »

I have to dig out Bubba Ho-Tep; it's in my pile of recorded, waiting to be watched.  You just about can't go wrong with Bruce Campbell -- okay, I can't anyway -- so I don't know why I haven't made a better effort. 

Yesterday I was faced with choices, choices.....Annie Hall, Blood Diamond, a John Adams episode, and more quality fare.  So I chose Slither, a sort of throwback to the '80s horror flick, except it was pretty good as horror flicks go.  Light on the cheese, but still highly enjoyable. 

Starring the ubiquitous Nathan Fillion and Elizabeth Banks, Slither is reminiscent of classic horror flicks of old -- namely Night of the Living Dead, Alien, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  The plot, basically:  An alien life force lands on earth and consumes/infects any life source it finds.  The alien enters people through the mouth as a wormy thing, then busts out through the torso and replicates like crazy.  People who are infected but not yet busted out roam around zombie-like looking for more people to infect. All around, good fun and an enjoyable waste of time; I'd watch it a couple more times. (Guess I'm just in the mood to avoid the serious movies right now.)

Take THAT, tumbleweeds!
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3974 on: April 17, 2008, 12:01:02 PM »

If "Slither" is your speed then you should indeed consider a viewing of Bubba Ho-Tep.  It was a big hit at the Toronto Film Festival.   

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: