Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 02:01:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52496 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3975 on: April 20, 2008, 11:01:01 PM »

Yeah, I liked "Slither," it was one of those movies that you see on tv and then you go, shit, I wish I had seen this movie instead of _____ , because this was a fun movie.

Until you've seen OUT OF AFRICA ON BLU-RAY, I meant.

bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3976 on: April 21, 2008, 10:00:37 AM »

Wonder if The Ruins will fall in that category -- just read the book and it's quite the page-turner.  Horror novels don't cause me sleepless nights, but this one....all I can say is something about it sort of snuck up on me and it took me a couple hours to fall asleep. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3977 on: April 21, 2008, 07:32:31 PM »

I meant to say last night that "Slither" is supposed to be seen on a big screen, with the "eeekkk" effect, on TV it's good but not as good as movies like that are on the big screen.

Haven't finished "The Ruins," having quit reading.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3978 on: April 21, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »

88min being the best rental out there, I will wait for DVD, and then pull the trigger.

NOTE:  You can always "wait for the DVD, and then wait a little longer...," but hell it's Pacino, no prob, never.

I did see that "Pineapple Run" is being slated as a big summer release, a brilliant Eddie Murphy violent R-flick that Lawrence Kasdan belabored the point about in the one about LA.  Yeah, "Midnight Run" meets "True Romance" meets "48 hrs." meets "Silver Streak," I mean, yeah, I get it, totally awesome.

I'm glad that for some reason the studio is going to make this a .25B picture vs. giving Cruise the brush, but I'm not in charge.

If I was, I could make Tom Cruise come back in 14 months, mang.

This is my last post, because it brang me up to 1776, the year of my homeboys, and the right time to step to.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:21:10 PM by jbottle » Logged
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3979 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:04 AM »

A friend whose taste I trust reported that 88 Min. is pretty awful and Pacino couldn't save it.  The buzz generally is not good, but I've seen films anyway because they compel me to one way or another.  This one doesn't.   

The Ruins, the film, is reportedly a stinker, a profound "descent" from the director's previous spelunking into the horror genre, so I'd recommend sticking with the book and wait for the film to hit the $.99 bin.

Anyone seen Spurlock's new flick?  Heard it's pretty good docu about looking for Osama and generally chatting with Arabs on what they think of U.S.   Opened last week, but very limited release looks like.  Not reaching sticksville here yet.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3980 on: April 22, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »

I have to dig out Bubba Ho-Tep...

Bruce Campbell's performance in "BHT" is my favorite movie depiction of Elvis, right ahead of Val Kilmer in "True Romance".
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3981 on: April 22, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »

Word.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3982 on: April 22, 2008, 02:02:52 PM »

Isn't there a movie in which Christian Slater plays Elvis, in much the same brief way that Kilmer does?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3983 on: April 22, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »

Isn't there a movie in which Christian Slater plays Elvis, in much the same brief way that Kilmer does?

No...it couldn't be....3KMTG by any chance?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3984 on: April 22, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »

Crud, yeah, I guess so...after checking the IMDB, I must've been confused about the "brief" part..., but he's gone all STV, not just since, the pulper-than-Pulp Fiction unintentional self-parody "Hard Cash," where Verne Troyer sneaks into the heist location in a fake-pregnancy suit (the female being the only one they didn't frisk (entirely)), which is almost worth seeing for the breif Kilmer performance where he has a shit-eating grin the whole time because he knows how bad of a movie he is in, but here's more:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469916/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760311/

The second is described on the DVD (I was in Ballbuster recently) as "Taxi Driver" meets "Office Space..."

For your consideration:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248640/
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3985 on: April 22, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »

One other "box" that caught my eye in the store was heralded as being, I s*** you not, "...from the Director who brought you 'Ticker'..."  I was thrilled, not only that Albert Pyun or anybody considered that an endorsement, but because it's a must-see so bad it's good STV of the highest order, so in a way, it's not faint praise at all, making me wonder if the following could suck as gloriously as "Ticker," in that rarefied air where stars are lured into films with budgets smaller than the average diaper commercial:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196158/

I don't remember which film it was, but check out the first line of Pyun's bio, hilarious...

Actually I had to modify this post to insist that you read his bio in its entirety, the best I have ever read, including such gems as "...Pyun's creative restraints has frequently pushed him to shoot two films at once...":

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0701597/

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:44:26 PM by jbottle » Logged
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3986 on: April 23, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »

LOL -- he was born "unintentionally" in San Diego!  So I guess that (cough)

Pyun was unintended?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3987 on: April 23, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »

Meanwhile, has anyone heard a rumor, or can convey if there is a basis to this rumor that would make it truthful: that Gwyneth Paltrow was offered the part of Marlene Dietrich by a film-maker whose identity is as yet unknown to me -- or I wouldn't be asking-- I'm assuming that this putative project fell through?  Found nothing at imdb.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3988 on: April 23, 2008, 01:47:20 PM »

Meanwhile, has anyone heard a rumor, or can convey if there is a basis to this rumor that would make it truthful: that Gwyneth Paltrow was offered the part of Marlene Dietrich by a film-maker whose identity is as yet unknown to me -- or I wouldn't be asking-- I'm assuming that this putative project fell through?  Found nothing at imdb.

madupont,
That was a Dreamworks project with Paltrow as Dietrich -- originated around 2004 maybe.  As of last year, according to this blogger --  http://tinyurl.com/4u6npo  -- Paltrow was still attached, much to his/her dismay.  2007 is the most recent mention I found of it in a quick search.   Hope the info is useful to you.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3989 on: April 23, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »

Barton:  That he was an understudy to Kurosawa and his films are often seen as in the avant-garde style of Jean-Luc Godard and his framing and technique compared to Sergio Leone.

Love it.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: