Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 05:51:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40697 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4020 on: April 25, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »

Plus, the "late" fee is the impetus to make the movie fan watch the damn thing.

I get "Vince Vaughn" from one friend of mine as well, but I don't talk quite as fast being from SC.

I'm still a Netflixer, but at the rate I'm switching out films I might as well start a Blu-Ray collection, buy the 5.99 deals from Best Buy in normal format and at least have it.  I have a PS3 with Blu-Ray but I haven't really used it, and I've not rotated my Netflix 3-per in over two months, the equivalent of buying two of them.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4021 on: April 25, 2008, 06:14:53 PM »

Three dumping-ground films with great "guilty pleasure" potential:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479528/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800240/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446676/

I'm not even going to tread into the DOA territory above as I had never heard of any of those films prior to today, so it's semi chick-flick comedy and stoner comedy.

Baby Mama:  $23.451M

H & K Guantanimo:  13.278M

To triple post I'll get to the Guru shortly...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4022 on: April 25, 2008, 06:18:00 PM »

Guru says 13, 11, and...

"...Stumbling quietly into 2,001 unfortunate theaters, Deception could fool $4M from the wallets of ticket buyers."--Gitesh Pandya
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4023 on: April 25, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »

Of the dumpees, I like the crocodile movie and poker flick.  I mean, the poker flick has Burt Reynolds and Charles Durning, so it's a gimme.  In fact, given a movie pass I'd probably pick Rogue or Deal over the big realeases this weekend.

I'm just not a fan of Fey/Poehler (particularly the latter), but lots of people are, so.....go figure.  And H&K might have a built-in audience, but it's never as good the second time around. Just for giggles, I'll say --

Baby Mama - $13,000,001
Harold & Kumar - $9,000,001

(Why yes, I have seen The Price is Right once or twice; why do you ask?)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4024 on: April 25, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »

After posting I noted that "The Onion" panned the Reynolds' flick with a "D," and they are usually adept enough to sniff out whether something is interestingly bad or boring, so I was disappointed to find out it was boring, but I guess it's a rule of 2's with that Vegas one that did well a few weeks ago even though that was MIT and blackjack.

They said "Baby Mama" amiably tries to rise above average material but ultimately "C+," too much talent not to be funny.  Greg Kinnear and an unbilled Steve Martin contribute what they can, but too little to make it a thumbs up.

Nobody is mentioning the crocodile one, but the poster is pretty funny.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4025 on: April 25, 2008, 11:10:44 PM »

In fact, given a movie pass I'd probably pick Rogue ...

Radha Mitchell is the Ayre Gross of the female action/thriller/ghost movie star pool.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4026 on: April 26, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »

I'd pick "Deal" from that litter -- Reynolds, Durning, and the delectable Shannon Elizabeth, possibly the prettiest member of the Hollywood Reversible Names Club, of which Taylor Pruitt Vince is currently the president. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4027 on: April 26, 2008, 02:50:23 PM »

Well Dick Roeper put "Deception" into his "so bad it's good" category after he admitted to "laughing out loud" at the complicated voice-over exposition it took to make the thing make semi-sense.

I think "You, Me, and Dupree," is highly under-rated, as romantic comedies go, it's a pretty funny movie, and Owen Wilson is at his annoying/charismatic best, I avoided it the first time around and have seen it a couple of times on cable and find it kink of whimsical and witty now.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4028 on: April 26, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »

"Baby Mama" only did 1 clip better than HKXGB, 5 vs. 6, so I like Harrie's and the guru's Mama number but my Kumar looks like a within five percenter, but we shall see.

"Deception" did something like $800K on 2K plus screens which means there were more people watching dog or cockfighting than watching Huge Jackman, for what it's worth.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 04:35:23 PM by jbottle » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4029 on: April 26, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »

That's $400 per theater, meaning, at 10x5bucks at matinee gets you fifty, and another 40x8bucks for date movie means fifty people showed up for your movie in some town that day.  50. Not counting the several (crickets).
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4030 on: April 26, 2008, 04:16:49 PM »

I dunno, I think everyone's holding out for Iron Man in two weeks. 

And I actually just heard a commercial for Deception, which surprised me a bit.  It's sad about that flick, because I actually like some strange choices that McGregor makes (like A Life Less Ordinary, another widely-panned flick), and Michelle Williams is no slouch.  But this doesn't look like one of McGregor's unusal choices that will pay off.  At least until it hits video and/or international release, maybe.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4031 on: April 26, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »

"It's sad about that flick..."

Oh, yeah, that's the whole idea, why?

It's six months of their lives, if they each live to be 90, they spent 1/35th of their adult lives making "Deception."

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4032 on: April 26, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »

Well, yeah. But it can get Ishtar-ish, particularly when you make as many, uh, interesting choices as McGregor does.  Sort of the same way that one can always throw Battlefield Earth in Travolta's or Barry Pepper's face. 

So I guess I mean it makes me sad that McGregor (about whom I'm not as crazy as this is making me sound, but I do like some of his choices and work) is metaphorically handing out the ammunition with which his career is going to be blown to bits. But I guess who needs a career, especially in film, when a couple of juicy paychecks per year will work just fine?  So okay, it's not so sad about this flick after all.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4033 on: April 26, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »

Wait, I think that's 1/140th which just sounds like "we dated for about six months," which isn't that bad of a fuckup come to think of it.  "Iron Man" is doing a Thursday pre-release this week, so I think it opens this coming Fri. if I'm not mistaken.  Barring a previous engagement I would be there at the opening show, I think this is going to be a huge movie.  I read "Iron Man" as a kid, and still have a lot of the comics, and saw a "cute" interview with Downey where he had a picture of himself as "Iron Man" on his piano, and basically said he had been validated, like it was an honor, Kilmer got to do it, Clooney, Tobey, something like that...he seemed very proud as much as you would think he might shy away from the idea he is embracing it, kinda like, "who would've thought I could play a superhero, I'm the guy who wakes up in your kid's bunkbed in Santa Monica by accident."

I'm a big fan, and I think that unconventional casting helps these superhero movies immensely, Bale, Kilmer, Keaton, Tobey, Downey...

...whereas the more conventional casting like Clooney and Affleck and Cage hasn't worked nearly as well, or the unknown from the recent Superman debacle...and it may be because people who are coming from a struggle in independent film and have nothing to lose bring a need and a humanity to the project that helps it along somehow...

The whole adolescent awakening that "Spiderman" is about, or the noir of "Batman" has only recently been taken seriously, and only recently been well cast, although, despite my disappointment, I thought "Batman" with Keaton was the first one to think outside the box and get the ball rolling, and I'm not a Burton fan by any stretch and didn't really want his gothstomp all over it, but it was different and had evolved from "Superman," which was brilliant, and had to distinguish itself in some way, which it did.

Also, if you will recall, I had been calling for Sam Raimi to direct "Spiderman" years before he was hired on the NYTFF on the basis of "Darkman," in 1990, really, I did, years before he got tapped because people took him seriously after "A Simple Plan" ('98).

BID.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4034 on: April 26, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »

Harrie: You also have to keep in mind one of the actor's credoes, the you not being you harrie, but the general you, or when someone questions why someone does something.

"F*** you, I'm working..."

...and, of course...

"I've made a lot of movies...and I've made a lot of crap...[laugh] and I've made a lot of money [bigger laugh]..."--Michael Cain, accepting best supporting for "Cider House Rules."
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: