Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 06:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52830 times)
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4050 on: April 28, 2008, 12:56:57 PM »

Word.  One of those SF films that busts out of the genre barrier.

The NG series, and films, were mainly dullsville, though I liked some of the peripheral characters, like Data.   Picard really knew how to say "engage" but beyond that I can't say I found him interesting.  Reiker bored me to tears.

Never watched the DS9 or Voyager series.  DS9 confused me -- it just sits there, man, and this is supposed to be a "trek," right, boldly going and all that?  If it doesn't have a warp engine strapped onto it, it's not Trek.   So you have to bring out the "local color" and all that and make sure it's not all one happy cantina or everyone falls asleep.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4051 on: April 28, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »

The Trek film upcoming is rumored to be better than the previous slop, per my SF cronies. 

The "teaser trailer" was great.  They ran it before "Cloverfield".  It starts close in on these guys with spot-welding equipment working on some wall or something, then as we back away and move up slowly we see they're building the Enterprise and the screen goes black and it says UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 2008.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4052 on: April 28, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »

I don't change diapers, of other people's children, even family.  As to whether I ever will, uh *depends*.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4053 on: April 28, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »

Sounds like *fun*.

I learned how to do a shoulder roll becase of Bill Shatner.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4054 on: April 29, 2008, 12:14:43 AM »

Different subject:  Are box-office numbers on the decrease because of other economic factors, like being able to watch a movie at home on a $700 TV preferable to going to the movies and spending 1/30th of that on your home theater??

Other consumer options?  Or clear indication of recession??

The europe numbers on IMDB seem to point to global recession, and you would think that discretionary income goes to cool clothes and fast food before movies, a bad "Iron Man" number would be a clear indication of a recession if there weren't the abberation of it being an "event," interested to see what the Apatow road/comedy/action movie "Pineapple Express," with the big green light, will do this summer, need to look at the slate, but I'm kinda psyched for PE, because it sounds like something a movie fan who liked "Silver Streak" and the Grodin/DeNiro one would write, or who remembered the occasional dissassociative hyper-violence, fish out of water comedy/buddy cop one below, a genuine WTF that may have been the last fleetingly apologetically buddy cop movie with a postmodern excuse for existing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102004/

I throw the word "postmodern" around loosely, especially ON THE WEEKENDS.  Is it good??  Offensively violent amalgam of comedy and the nadir of the genre the way it was lampooned in "Grand Canyon," or hey, not bad, reminiscent of the Murphy/Nolte classic...violent, funny, but my vote for (shoul've been) final nail in coffin:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102266/

Before the whole Jackie Chan thing that doesn't count.

...and the death rattle of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0329717/

which I thought foolishly would ressurect HF from movie jail and would make 28M if I recall, and it was so DOA at like 4 that I had to be treated with a moderate antidepressant for the following 4-8 months.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4055 on: April 29, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »

You can also take from Shatner the correct way to handle a snub.  When he learned that they weren't going to ask him to appear (despite a Nimoy appearance) in the new "ST", he was not offended but was puzzled, like, "Huh?  I don't get it.  Not having me in it is like throwing money away..."

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:58:16 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4056 on: April 29, 2008, 09:53:39 AM »

..."Pineapple Express," with the big green light, will do this summer, need to look at the slate, but I'm kinda psyched for PE, because it sounds like something a movie fan who liked "Silver Streak"

Another good road trip game - 2 word movie titles, "Adjective Noun". 

Bonus for nouns used as adjectives, as in "Pineapple Express" and "Midnight Run".  More bonus points for a title of a movie within a movie, like "Chubby Rain" (Steve Martin's movie in "Bowfinger") or... or... nuts, can't think of another one right now.  There goes my whole day!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:58:59 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4057 on: April 29, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »

jbottle, I think you're on to something with the global recession/downturn/what have you.  I know my discretionary income is going to stuff like mortgage, food, gas -- just like millions of other people.  Somehow, I'm thinking (or more accurately, hoping) that Iron Man, being an event as you put it, will be immune or at least less impacted than, say, Leatherheads.  I'm thinking The Incredible Hulk might be the super-flick to suffer the most.  But hey, what the heck do I know?  (I know Cary Price is too green to take the Habs through the playoffs, but does Guy Carbonneau listen to me? No.)

The other night we checked out Striking Distance on AMC of all places.   As the hubby put it "I remember when AMC showed good movies, what happened?"  But SD earns every bit of its so-bad-it's-good vibe, especially when Eldon the house painter just wouldn't die.  Thanks for the tip, I don't know that I would have checked it out otherwise.   It was also interesting to see that when Sarah Jessica Parker just does normal hair-makeup-wardrobe, she's kind of cute.  (Sorry but I think Sex and the City makes her look a bit freakish.)

On Saturday night we watched Coffy, the classic Pam Grier blaxploitation flick, which we really enjoyed.  We took it with the "hey, it's the '70s" grain of salt and I thought it had some excellent social insights for the time, seriously.  Coffy was on IFC, and I like some of the theme nights they do -- they really go out on a limb sometimes, which I find quite worthwhile.  Then they show a Kurosawa or Bergman fest, so they cover the spectrum of movies - from smelly cheese to fine wine -- and do it very well, IMO.  I've heard mumblings that Cablevision is looking to buy Sundance, so it's just as well I prefer IFC (assuming Cablevision does for Sundance what it's done for AMC).
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4058 on: April 29, 2008, 09:55:55 AM »

You can also take from Shatner the correct way to handle a snub.  When he learned that they weren't going to ask him to appear (despite a Nimoy appearance) in the new "ST", he was not offended but was puzzled, like, "Huh?  I don't get it.  Not having me in it is like throwing money away..."

You guys crack me up, but you're so right!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4059 on: April 29, 2008, 09:57:27 AM »

As the hubby put it "I remember when AMC showed good movies, what happened?"  

That's another good sign that you're watching a "good genre movie" - you see it on AMC and wonder why they're showing it on AMC.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4060 on: April 29, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »

Logjammin' doesn't quite fit the road trip game, but it's all I've got.  Speaking of which, FUSE (a music channel that actually features music) owns The Big Lebowski  -- showed it the other night, but used the censored version, which I thought was weird since FUSE brands themselves as too cool for MTV, ultra-hip, etc.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4061 on: April 29, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »

You see what happens, Larry?  You see what happens when you find a man in the Alps??

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4062 on: April 29, 2008, 10:33:35 AM »

Exactly.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4063 on: April 29, 2008, 10:49:34 AM »

Jbot, you ask about declining BO numbers -- my guess is not recession, as escapism often does well when economic times is hard.  A movie is still cheap relative to many on-the-town recreations.  Overall, I'd guess the decline is more about the plasma screens (which you also mention) and rapid distribution of recent films.  That plus the higher-res formats which do justice to a larger screen and quality sound system.   And there's a broader social trend in which people just do fewer things in public venues, a move towards electronic womb and all that.  Not a trend I'm enchanted with, and I hope it stalls out soon.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4064 on: April 29, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »

You see what happens, Larry?  You see what happens when you find a man in the Alps??

Dude, this is Smokey.  Look, I don't want to be a hard-on about this, and I know it wasn't your fault, but I just thought it was fair to tell you that Gilbert and I will be submitting to the League that it's "find a stranger in the Alps" (and not "find a man in the Alps"), and asking them to set aside the round, I don't know, or maybe, forfeit it to us... So, like I say, I just thought, you know, fair warning.  Tell Walter.  I'm sorry.

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: