Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 09:38:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41169 times)
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4080 on: May 02, 2008, 09:47:43 AM »

Southland Tales

Sorry, but this film is unreviewable. Part video game, part socio-political commentary, part comedy, part mysticaliexpialidocious unsci-fi. In a word, or two or three... too many parts.

Actually, it has some comedic moments and I don't believe that one is supposed to take it all too seriously which may indeed be the whole point.

Would make a great drinking game flick as it surpasses TBLebowski in its use of the F word.

I've seen worse, but have seen far better.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4081 on: May 02, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »

Similar to my comments on ST, a month or two back, Pondy.  You were a bit kinder.  Flow my tears, the policeman said.

Jbot -- knew you were joking.  When they ask "paper or plastic?" I always say plastic.  It's two percent of landfill volume, while paper goods are more like 40%, so not a hard choice.  Landfills are anaerobic and low oxygen, so paper doesn't biodegrade like they used to think it would. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4082 on: May 02, 2008, 11:30:48 AM »

Looking at the Ed Norton "The Incredible Hulk" trailer this AM just noticed that in the cast is Downey, Jr., as "Tony Stark," IRON MAN, so that's pretty cool with a sort of summer blockbuster cameo which is true to the "Marvel Universe" where there were intertwining story lines when I read the Marvel Comics in the 80's and you really got the idea that no matter which series you picked up it was just a window into another world such that you wanted to find out whatever else was happening within the Marvel Universe, it was a good strategy to sell more comics, and issues with "guest stars" probably sold better (and some are valued more because of the appearance of another superhero), but it was also a pretty cohesive narrative with all the writers kind of knowing what was happening with all the characters all the time, anyway, if both are hits there's a lot of writing and storylines to plunder on the fast, why not three Marvel movies every two summers??

But maybe "The Incredible Hulk" was supposed to be released last summer with the Downey Jr. appearance as "teaser cameo" rather than just something cool.  I seem to remember a story about how the studio was unhappy with the film or Norton or there were re-shoots, some trouble there.  The trailer doesn't look bad.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4083 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »

Environmentalists would love that, more non-biodegradable plastic so some @sshole can watch "Big Momma' House II" or "Rush Hour III."

I've wondered what kind of footprint I've left with my viewings of and writings about "O.C. & Stiggs".
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4084 on: May 02, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »

Lots of zeroes and ones, enough to impress Rabes enough to watch and write about it, I mean, "O.C. & Stiggs" doesn't have a fan club like "The Big Lebowski," does, and neither does "The Party Animal," at least I hope not.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4085 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:06 PM »

Oh, and the guru put an $83M tag on "Iron Man," in 3,800 theaters (I've never heard of that high a number, anyone?), and noted that some were speculating that "GTA IV" might occupy the time of a key demographic.  He says "whatever small impact," or something, sort of discounting the impact, but I have no idea whether that will have an impact or not.

I think what people will likely turn out for is the first summer movie, a well-reveiwed event movie, with raves about the Downey, Jr. performance being at the center of the film rather than the setpieces.

I hope the film does as well as he suggests, if you're at $83 why not "100," but I'll stick with my lower estimate anyway. 

I guess when "Spiderman" did like $126M Wed.-Sun., if my number is right, that was probably the height of the Blockbuster Era, but I think we'll see those kinds of numbers again, but that was on fewer screens and is basically the most popular Superhero other than the bungled pre-Bale "Batman" series, and the flop "Superman Returns."

In terms of strategy, I think the "Iron Man" release is not a bad idea because it's not going head to head with any other movies, but if it's this good you wonder it wouldn't be better when kids are out of school, but then, I guess you have to factor in "Superhero Fatigue," especially not wanting to follow "Batman," because it will be bigger, and the Ledger coverage might be exhausting to the consumer to the point that they are like "Who is 'Iron Man'??, anyway," whereas now, it's the only show in town.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4086 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »

I've heard there are (not making this up) giant server farms in central WA state where most of our net chatter is stored.  Why WA -- apparently, server farms use a lot of electricity, and there's this huge hydroelectric dam nearby on the Columbia River, and they get the cheapest deal on kilowatts there.

So, in a sense, Oilcan, you leave a small carbon footprint because it's hydro.  OTOH,  they could sell some of those kwh's to Portland or Seattle and thereby decrease sooty footprints over there.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4087 on: May 02, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »

After seeing what AT&T has done by basically recording not only every international calls but domestic calls without a search warrant, and Congress poised to give the company some kind of immunity from litigation if they haven't acted already, it really wouldn't surprise me to learn that all net activity would be stored as well if possible, especially because it's the type of communication like e-mail that can contain maps, images, floorplans, and the type of information the government should want to monitor that is potentially much more dense and subversive than can be communicated by telephone.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4088 on: May 02, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »

Similar to my comments on ST, a month or two back, Pondy.  You were a bit kinder.  Flow my tears, the policeman said.

Yes, I remember and even referenced it over at the music forum of all places.

Was also inspired by your avatar/sig to take a look at Taking of Pelham 123, one of those 70s flicks I had never seen before. Talk about all-star casts. Did Walter Matthau ever look young? Even get to see the elders Broderick and Stiller appear together. Have Matthew and Ben done anything together?
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4089 on: May 02, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

did u ever hear of imdb?
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4090 on: May 02, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

(erase, erase) lawyers!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:22:36 PM by ponderosa » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4091 on: May 02, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »

I've seen (and thoroughly enjoyed) Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 up to the end, and missed the crucial thing that made Matthau re-open the door at the end.    Can anyone enlighten me?  (Or I can just rewatch it, which would be a good thing, actually.  IMDB just isn't the same thing...)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4092 on: May 02, 2008, 02:47:28 PM »

And nobody in the area has Ticker (that's a sigh of relief you hear from the hubby) -- so I'll have to apply the rule of waiting, then waiting some more.  With the (crappy) movie package I have, it's bound to show up sooner or later (thanks for the suggestion, jbottle). 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4093 on: May 02, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »

I don't know how yours cable works, but down here you can pay a flat fee for internet, all the channels, and unlimited long distance for a flat fee, where it doesn't make much sense to do it separately.  Like if I tried to cut out all the movies it might save $10, so it's not worth it not to have everything, so it's a nightly ritual to scroll through about 25 movie channels (HBO, Showtime, Max, Starz, Encore, IFC, and others, no Sundance I don't think), but yeah, it gives you the advantage of say watching say, the opening of "Crimson Tide," just to see how they introduce Hackman and Denzel, or whatever, so I do a lot of just checking information and you can find some really awful movies, usually thriller/suspense or horror.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4094 on: May 02, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »

I've seen (and thoroughly enjoyed) Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 up to the end, and missed the crucial thing that made Matthau re-open the door at the end.    Can anyone enlighten me?  (Or I can just rewatch it, which would be a good thing, actually.  IMDB just isn't the same thing...)

How embarrassing. I just saw it and can't help you.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: