Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 11:19:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33979 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4125 on: May 06, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »

Oh, yeah?  Well, I KNEW you KNEW that I knew...okay, I'll stop the madness.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4126 on: May 06, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »

Uhhh... WTF?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1012804/

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4127 on: May 06, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »

LOL, hars...

Oil, yeah, but please see "The Onion" review by Tashmo, if you haven't already, and it seems like, uh, fun.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4128 on: May 07, 2008, 01:16:10 AM »

Just saw it.  Iron Man is a tremendous boot, forgive me for saying so but when you see it immediately following the trailer/prevue for the biggest awaited film of the summer(and harrie knows how I love Heath Ledger for being the young man with the future who was) what can I say? Robert Downey,jr?  He has now come into his own as a very sophisticated actor given great lines in a well-written script unless he improvised all that sophistication.

Also Gwyenth Paltrow is no longer Sylvia Plath. I noticed that happening when I saw her do a fictional "Peggy Lee" for Infamous. I knew that Estee Lauder had pretty much put her through finishing-school or how to look glamorous. But the chemistry between these two stars is unbelievable.   It took until the end of the movie before I realized that-- that little outfit she wore around the office at Stark was what I wore! (back in the end of the 1950s....)

What I'm getting at  here is their timing makes Madonna and Warren Beatty's venture into Dick Tracy just tremendously silly. How times have changed.

If Paltrow plays Tony Stark's Gal Friday, Terence Howard is more than a body guard, liaison to the military,aide de camp around the enterprise beyond what Alexander Hamilton was to George Washington.  It's a very carefully written role for the modern era to cover that position in military personnel who is a high-ranking officer's constant companion.

What this does is make the villain of the piece, Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane , not much more than a Talking Head.  A well shaped head but nevertheless, it mostly makes you wonder why  Jeff went around for so long with that mop of hair that proved nothing.  However, admittedly, Jeff looks as if he was a little too impressed, at an impressionable age, with Daddy Warbucks.  Oddly that is the role he fulfills, Robert Downey,jr. having been a genius kid instead of anybody's little Orphan Annie.

Although this film required a large cast to carry it off, other than a bright young lady who attempts to interview Downey's Stark but whom he immediately jumps when he gets her to Malibu, and there are as many sleek looking women as you usually would find in a Bond movie, other than the military  and government agent echelon Paramount had to go with finding the best available talent for the roles of "insurgents".

I gave up counting after awhile but we have at least four major acting talents starting with the performance of Faran Tahir, from a Pakistani-Indian Acting family. Sayed Badreye is, I think, along with Ahmed Ahmed, Egyptian. Marco Khan is an Armenian from Tehran.

And the most vital role to the entire enterprise is played by a Persian, Shaun Toub, in the role of Yinsen, who saves Tony Stark's life and then helps him to build the prototype Iron Man with such "Mittel European" exquisite scientific manners and mannerisms that you'd swear he was a German.

Now, before I forget and go out of here trying to remember something that definitely should have been mentioned in here, Here it is: Jon Favreau.   Who knew?  I will never again have to have doubts that he is capable of directing, but I think you know how it is if you kept up with all those reruns in 2nd and 3rd rate Hollywood restaurants around the round table with three or four other special acting talents.

But there is one question.  If any of you spot  Samuel L. Jackson in this film, he's supposed to be there, but let me know.

And if you want to know about special effects and the technical what nots, it all boils down to how to impress a family of kids driven downtown at night by their mom in the family SUV. I just have to say, when this scene hit the screen, I could just mind-read mental energy in various parts of the theater going, "Gee, I wish that could happen to me".
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4129 on: May 07, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »

In a world gone mad, in a world where Jeff Bridges shaves his head and Gwyneth escapes from her bell jar, there will be a Glengarry Crouching Tiger.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4130 on: May 07, 2008, 01:24:42 PM »

"I like it, I haven't seen that before."--The Player

Here is the link to the "Redbelt" review, and there is also an interview of the protagonist on the same site:

http://www.avclub.com/content/cinema/redbelt
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4131 on: May 07, 2008, 06:30:02 PM »

I saw a commercial for Redbelt the other night, and my reaction was "They make commercials for David Mamet films?"  But I love Chiewetl Ojifor (sp? - I know there's a typo in there somewhere) -- should be interesting.

Maybe I know a lot of bald/balding guys, but I think half the point of going around with that mop of hair is "Hey -- check out the hair!"  At my house, it's called the "because I can" rule.

So today I started out with Blades of Glory; it was funny enough, but for some reason it wasn't a must-watch thing.  So I ended up with All the President's Men, which I thought might be like watching paint dry, but I came into it where Bernstein and Woodward are duking it out over whether Colson goes gets mentioned in the opening or third paragraph.  (Seriously Woodward, how'd you get that job at the Washington Post anyway? I took Journalism 101-type stuff, and I know to put the hook in the first paragraph.)  But I digress.  The conflict was interesting, so I stuck around, and ATPM was a really well put together puzzle flick. Even if I did already know how it comes out.

Then in the interest of balance I had to watch something bad, and it was The Woods.  I wasn't sure it would be all that bad, because the pop-up credit thing listed Patricia Clarkson and Bruce Campbell.  It's a strange mix, but I figured Clarkson doesn't do crap and I think Campbell's great, so gave it a look.  It turns out that Clarkson does occasionally do crap (like this), but it was fun. The movie's about evil doings at a girls' New England boarding school, and was reminiscent of some of those '60s-'70s horror movies with Pamela Franklin, Carol Lynley, etc.  Then I looked it up on IMDB to check out a cast member, and it turns out this sat on the shelf for 2-3 years.  To co-opt the jbottle/oilcan saying, they should have waited a little longer.  Still, could make a good drinking movie or something.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4132 on: May 07, 2008, 07:18:49 PM »

I love ATPM, drink when they say deepthroat, or source, or confirmed, or meeting, jokes.

"...because I can..."

Ain't that it?

There are complicated works of drama (and I mean like Hamlet where the whole point is that he is not really fully invested in his own success, as a thang), etc., but most people move in the direction of ambition, like Hillary, continuing because she can, but I think that's a motivating force, sort of the antithesis of empathy, or kindness, yeah, me and the sigboth often answer each other's questions [exasperated] "Why would he [she] do that, what the ****"

"Because he can."

I just think that the lack of magnanimity on the part of Clinton is like a virus against kindness, that I don't want to spread, that she is in just because she can be; is in because she thought it WAS HERS, [and it might be harder, seriously to tell a woman that it' really over as a male advisor, I wouldn't want to tell Hillary the news is not good, actually, to that point, it looks like Mark Penn saying it will cost you 3M for me to stand by you, and then you know it get's FORGIVEN, and advisers PAID] and then REALITY crept in...

"What do you mean, they don't REALLY LIKE ME BETTER??

"No, they don't..."

I have a credo similar to the one you speak of which is:  "Politics is dumb."

That's why the average campaign is worse than an ad campaign for a movie.  When anybody asks me anything about politics, it's that PID rule:  "Keeeeyyyyyaaaarrrrrgggghg," I mean, he's from your neck of the wood and I was all on board until it turned out that "Kee..." was WILLIE HORTON or whatever, I didn't get it, and that's when I decided politics is dumb.

Swiftboat?  Ask George Bush if he was going down a river in the ***** delta when he got his DUI, ask Cheney how many deferments he got, and ask yourself, did he not serve three times out of fear, or because he could, and did I get shot at to say I did one day??  You ask that, and find out how much shrapnel you could pull out of Dick Cheney..."

Sorry, I got off on a tangent.

How was the trailer?? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:33:29 PM by jbottle » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4133 on: May 07, 2008, 08:45:22 PM »

"keeeeyyyyaaaarrrhhhggghhh":  A LOVE STORY
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4134 on: May 07, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »

How was the trailer?? 

I avoid politics like the plague, but I have to say that at least Howard Dean poked fun at himself last week on Joe Scarborough (the hubby does not avoid politics like the plague) about that "Yee-haa" cry from back when  -- he said something like "Well you know how dangerous saying something simple like 'yeehaa' can be."  Which makes me really, really like him and wish I was more in his neck of the woods (VT) than I am.

But anyway, about the trailer -- gotta be honest, I didn't pay much attention 'til it went to black screen with red writing, and then faded to the next screen..."by David Mamet."  So I'll keep an eye out for it and pay attention to the whole thing.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4135 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »

Okay, so I've tried to tape The Wind That Shakes the Barley four times, and each time the recorder has an error right around the two-hour mark (the flick is 2:15 long).  I've cleaned the discs; cleaned the recorder, which isn't that old (it's a CD recorder); and used brand new discs.  I have also recorded other things in the past which run longer than two hours with no problem.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if there's some mechanism coming from the network (Starz, I think) preventing one from recording the entire movie. It's not always the exact same time in the movie, down to the second; but it is always during a crucial (I think it's crucial, anyway) fight scene.  The cablecaster corrupting the output makes absolutely no sense, because then theoretically peoples' TIVO and DVR might also get screwed up.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? Who wants to be the one to tell me to just by a new recording device?  Many thanks in advance to all.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4136 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »

And The Private Lives of Pippa Lee (Keanu Reeves, Robin Wright Penn, Alan Arkin, Monica Bellucci, etc.) is filming at the hospital down the street from me today and tomorrow.  I'd guess by the plot that maybe Arkin and Penn might be in these scenes, since it's a hospital, but that's totally a WAG.  If I run anyone down or anything, I'll be sure to provide a detailed report.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4137 on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »

Has anyone seen Idiocracy, a Mike Judge satire with Luke Wilson as this cryogenic guy who wakes up in a dumbed-down future?   Trying to decide if it's worth renting or not. 

I think the two-hour glitch is particular to some older and/or low-end DVD recorders, and not the fault of the network.  Someone told me there's a point on a DVD, usually between 90 min. and 2 hours where something has to adjust itself in the memory or jump onto a new track or some technical thing of which I obviously know nothing.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4138 on: May 08, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »

I've seen Idiocracy -- it's got some funny bits.  I was lukewarm on it, but a guy I know really likes it - was guffawing through almost the whole flick --  so it might be a sex-linked thing.  I'd give it a watch if the rental was $1-$3 or so.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4139 on: May 08, 2008, 10:42:29 AM »

Thanks. 

"lukewarm" -- heh, heh!

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: