Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 09:54:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33190 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4140 on: May 08, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »

"Has anyone seen Idiocracy?"

You should see it, fer sure just to find out if it's your cup of tea or not, it is gaining a cultish following and some people don't know what to make of it.  I liked it.

Note:  Deleted my nonsensical, non-sequiter boy post from last night.

Interested to see if "Speed Racer" will tank or not.

Saw where the Ledger Joker figures are selling out fast as a collectible.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4141 on: May 09, 2008, 12:03:44 AM »

Did anyone realize that "Police Academy II:  The First Assignment," had the effect of your watching "Police Academy," and realizing in retrospect that they were actually "in academy," and not "on assignment" yet, like, this is the training field video for the live fire.  Then that one with car school for Bill Murray's brother never got him a car movie where he got to drive a car, or any movie I don't think.

So, "Police Academy 3" is technically the second "assignment," because in the first one they were in the academy and technically not on assignment yet, but I don't want to get into too much police jargon.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4142 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:39 PM »

Okay, I'm way late with this, but the guru says $32M for Speed Racer. I say much less, maybe $23M.  I don't think it holds up, nostalgia-wise -- hell, SR was extremely hot when I was a kid, and I couldn't give a flying, well, whatever that it's been made into a movie -- and from what little I've seen, it looks like CGI overload, the kind that hurts to look at, it's so busy.  Couple that with universally stinky reviews and Iron Man still playing in a bunch of theaters, and I think SR will tank, as jbottle mentioned the other day.  Plus it keeps up the fine tradition of Matthew Fox just not being able to hit it big in the movies. Just my probably totally wrong $.02.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4143 on: May 09, 2008, 10:34:47 PM »

"Police Academy 5" (Miami) is mystifying.  Rene Aberudjonois (sp?) is great in it.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4144 on: May 10, 2008, 10:27:41 AM »

This is mean, but when anyone attempts to spell Rene French Guy's last name, I have a good LOL.

Aubergenois?  Auburjuneoux?  Auberjenoix? 

Who knows?  Qui sait?

On the Trek series I never watched (due to aforementioned objections to it being a space station and not boldly going and all that....), I think he played a guy with an easy name to spell, so there is that.  "Odo?" 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4145 on: May 10, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »

Auberjonois, a name that leads me to think his ancestors were eggplant farmers...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4146 on: May 10, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »

It's complex, I know. But it would have to be a "g" instead of a "j" although perhaps all the auberges in the Provence serve aubergine as in ratatouille.

I had to check the wiki to get the sequence but it is because Rene is named after his grandfather and they are Swiss who came to France later between wars or after one or another. I knew this only because grandfather with the same name was a student of a painter that I like very much for a particular work that I can no longer locate known as, The Flight into Egypt, by Luc-Olivier Merson. This has upset me for several years.

The original Rene (My mother also used that name as a diminutive of her baptisimal name because, when she was in nursing school, her friends unfamiliar with it began spelling it that way) was the father of Fernand who was a famous journalist; and here's where the family history turns exotic "but French, of course". Fernand married: Princess Laure Louise Napoléone Eugénie Caroline (née Murat), a descendant of Joachim Murat, King of Naples, and his wife Caroline Bonaparte, sister of the Emperor Napoléon.

(His father, Fernand Auberjonois (1910–2004), was a Cold War-era foreign correspondent and Pulitzer Prize-nominated writer)

Now what character did his grandson, Rene's son, Remy Auberjonois, play in the film George Clooney starred in: Michael Clayton?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4147 on: May 11, 2008, 04:32:27 PM »

Nice call, Harrie, SR did 20.2, and IM added another $50M, the figure that cynics had placed on the opening weekend, total 177 on a 12-day rocket to $200...

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4148 on: May 11, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

"Redbelt" is an absolute bust in 1500 theaters, taking in 1M and $800 per theater.

I feel bad for Mamet, I guess they were trying some kind of a counter-punch to the kids fare, but it didn't work out at all.  At $800 per theater you are losing money on the making of the film reel(s) that you are distributing, nevermind the marketing, distribution, and making of the FILM. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4149 on: May 11, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »

Thank you, thank you -- I had thought about going for $19M and now wish I had.

But looking at Mamet's credentials, not a lot of his stuff has done big box office (unless I'm missing something, which is possible).  I recall plenty of critical acclaim, particularly for Glengarry, but I don't recall ever hearing much money-wise.  Maybe that's what keeps him pissed off and writing.  I did learn he wrote About Last Night, though.

I think it's funny that Mamet is all "this is not a martial arts movie" - even though he does some Brazilian martial art and cast his dojo-guy, etc. Still, I look forward to seeing Redbelt some day, because Mamet is, if nothing else, an interesting experience and I do like Ejiofor a lot.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4150 on: May 11, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »

"I had thought about going for $19M and now wish I had..."

Sun. AM QB, you put it within, 8% or so, you don't have to pretend you almost hit bullseye...

...no, Mamet is great and continues to experiment with subjects from noir game, to survival/thriller, to espionage thriller, to comedy fish out of water mafia, to jujitsu drama/thriller, pinko anti-capitalist screed/salesman fight, he can do just about anything, so it's always a disappointment when some project fails to catch an audience even as "extreme fighting" is very popular, you want him to have ample fuel for his imagination, not that he doesn't, but enough support so that we get that window in.  He's probably got 500 ideas that would blow you away and at least 20 stop/starts, he's a genius.

But is seemed like he was trying to get out of the beat of his normal patter with dialogue and maybe pander like an assassin breathing through a reed crossing a river, to the extreme fight crowd, I'm sure that's what got it sold/made, but anyway, guy like that, always another trick up his sleeve, it's just that (I make this beef all the time) there doesn't seem to be enough dough left over for movie movies like noir, which he can do in his sleep in favor of "Speed Racer," which was never as interesting as a live action "Johnny Quest" might be or a re-envisioning of "Land of the Lost" as science fiction/horror instead of pothead Sat. AM camp/comedy/freakout.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4151 on: May 11, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »

I never got that impression that Mamet was an action oriented kind of guy. His plays consistently reveal he is sore-loser Jewish intellectual, always right, not necessarily fond of women at all. Holier than though, he'd be a rabbi if he could develop a little schmaltzy warmth and keep a wife to keep the image going/
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4152 on: May 11, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »

I thought that's what he did.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4153 on: May 12, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »

Did he and Pidgeon split?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4154 on: May 12, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »

Did he and Pidgeon split?

I don't think so -- and she's in Redbelt, so I think they're still together.  It always cracks me up for some reason that Lindsay Crouse was Mrs. Mamet No. 1, I guess because I always know her for playing bite in the ass characters (that Mamet did not write) and that's mostly what he writes.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: