Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 05:04:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33206 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4155 on: May 12, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »

Lindsay Crouse went from "House of Games" to somehow ending up in...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115571/

Which I count as a RoT w/ID4, though technically they have little in common other than both being utterly ridiculous.

Given choice, like you have to pick a RoT because you're going to crash on a desert island and only have room for one last DVD, I would have to go with "The Arrival," assuming you could rig a crude electricity device to power the portable DVD player, a bicycle made of coconuts, etc., when you ferment those coconuts to make a coconut treat, you will be glad you had "The Arrival" instead of ID4.  Maybe.  That could be one chapter of the RoT book:  Desert Island, where in brief I discuss the merits of each, and if you go with "Dragonfly" over "The Mothman Prophecies," you still wan't Gere in there so you have to go with "Autumn in New York" over "Sweet November," which in turn allows you to go with "Bless the Child" and have Basinger on isle while you lose Ryder in "Lost Souls."

I could do this forever, folks, it's almost a problem.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4156 on: May 12, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »

MEANWHILE, HAS ANYBODY IN HERE RECEIVED AN E-MAIL NOTICE THAT A VIRUS THAT THE RUSSIANS USED TO KNOCK OUT ESTONIA'S COMPUTERS LAST YEAR IS AFTER YOUR COMPUTER TOO?

DO NOT OPEN E-MAIL NOTIFYING YOU OF "POST CARD" THAT YOU CAN PICK UP BY GOING TO  LINK. IT WILL TAKE OUT THE MEMORY SYSTEM AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER.

HERE'S WHAT I RECEIVED FROM MY SISTER AT THE CLINIC WHERE THE MEDICAL RECORDS WOULD GO DOWN IF SHE OPENED A FRIENDLY MESSAGE.  THIS TECHNIQUE IS ACTUALLY SCARY WHEN DEMONSTRATED TO YOU IN THE FOLLOWING BULLETIN:

Subject: Please read: Big Virus coming

> Here is the Snopes page  http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
>>
>> I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!
>>
>> Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.
>>
>> PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!
>>
>> You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any
>>message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it
>>to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole
>>hard disc C of your computer.
>>
>> This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail
>>address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send
>>this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25
>>times than to receive the virus and open it.
>>
>> If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you
>>by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.
>>
>> This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified
>>by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered
>>by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.
>>This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the
>>vital information is kept.
>>
>> COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU
>>SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.
>>
>> Snopes lists all the names it could come in.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4157 on: May 12, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »

Don't open any e-mails marked "JennyMILF69" either, this is the trojan that was used by the Chinese to knock out the driving histories of several prominent Cambodians.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4158 on: May 12, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »

Even better....NEVER open any e-mail unless you recognize the sender.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4159 on: May 12, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »

There is a lot of helpful information about erectile dysfunction out there, but this was the same worm that helped Hamas fry the Syrian sex registry.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4160 on: May 13, 2008, 09:31:45 AM »

For the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the information is too little, too late.

Anyone remember the name of that 70 series that never got past the pilot -- this guy (Alex Cord?) is cryogenically frozen and wakes up in the far future and (this I remember clearly) Mariette Hartley (huge crush, in high school days) is the scientist who woke him up -- maybe I should ask this in Trivia, but...

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4161 on: May 13, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

Hey, Mariette Hartley graduated from my high school many, many years before I did.  Was it by any chance Genesis II?

http://www.tv.com/genesis-ii/show/34801/cast.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabssh&tag=tabs;cast

Except that it doesn't have Mariette Hartley, it has Majel Barrett (Mrs. Roddenberry, I believe?). 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4162 on: May 13, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »

And thank you, barton, for the Superhero nod.  I couldn't have done it without the others here, or without wasting valuable time that might otherwise have been used productively.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4163 on: May 13, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »

Has anyone here watched the quasi-horror film crossed with Homeland Security epidemic detention control, and lesson learned in Iraq:

28 Days ?

It's been moved to HBO (and On Demand). I am now confused is it really 28 Days,Later(a sequel) or was it always that, just plain 28 Days?

Anyway, I fell for it because of Robert Carlyle, in my curiosity to see what he's been up to since.   It is one of your ultimate horror films, made of childhood nightmares as a result of seeing films like this. Secondly, there is the reality of the program, not just a pending concept that I'm sure you  have all heard about, ordering you to detention for epidemiological reasons. Then there is the horror of seeing the techniques used to control and destroy crowds of out of control "carriers" with weapons honed in our ever popular nearly  permanent wars.

Now, for the good news.  It was apparently shot in London. The aerial shots are the  best ever that I've seen to take you right into London geographically, how the Thames meanders out to the country and how the modern city has been carefully planned to keep the Thames the historic river route, no wonder Prince Charles has a keen interest in architecture!

People in the outlying suburban sectors that were once old villages are less lucky in that the streets in decor of off-limits post "outbreak" of contagion resemble nothing so much as those boroughs after a good weekend of soccer and the debris left after too many pub hours before toddling home in an uproar that occurs before stupor.  I immediately thought of our former British mates in Western European forum (the lot who have some how become new Americans for some service to our country that is never discussed; favored immigration status; and the stories they have told or, the more things change, the more they remain the same).

And then we end in safety, flying over the White Cliffs of Dover without a hitch, heading for Paris no doubt where we do not know that the plague has proceeded us and we have to land because we are out of petrol.

I don't see that this added anything to Robert Carlyle's career which seems headed nowhere. He seemed headed alright in the film's opener; that is until his survivor wife got even with him for abandoning her(does this sound like typical English literature? Being played as a moral coward and physical hysteric as well who frightens his own children is so British.

But, I was nevertheless glad for the heads up as to what our security forces have planned for us. Since they too are moral cowards and physical hysterics.  Gotta run.  Hope you survive
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4164 on: May 13, 2008, 10:17:12 AM »

The 28 Days I know of is a different kind of horror story - Sandra Bullock and Viggo Mortensen in a rehab center, IIRC.  28 Days Later fits your description above, but I've never been able to get past the first five minutes.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4165 on: May 13, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

Harrie -- yes, Genesis II!  Hartley was in Genesis II, playing "Lyra-a" -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070101/

Hartley, your high school chum, was also in Earth II, another short-lived (though it did get past the pilot) series around that time, involving a starship that colonizes some distant planet and encounters weirdness -- a sort of proto-"Lost" as I recall.

Madupont -- 28 Days, IIRC, is a film starring Sandra Bullock as a drunk who goes to a rehab center.  28 Days Later is the film you are talking about, with the violence-virus in England.  Pretty decent post-apocalyptic sci-fi and scarey as hell to watch in a theater.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4166 on: May 13, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »

"different kind of horror story" -- well put.  LOL.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4167 on: May 13, 2008, 10:21:08 AM »

Harrie,
Ps.  The heroine of the story (the epidemiologist) is that girl, I'm pretty sure(?) whom we saw as a young attorney not getting ahead in Glenn Close' office last season who ends up with her boyfriend bloody dead in the bathtub, with Ted Danson still looking good despite his moral descent into using hapless sorts and killing them if necessary to succeed in business without hardly trying.

But I just haven't looked up her name at the usual sources. Patty, that was her name when an attorney du jour.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4168 on: May 13, 2008, 10:27:07 AM »

The 28 Days I know of is a different kind of horror story - Sandra Bullock and Viggo Mortensen in a rehab center, IIRC.  28 Days Later fits your description above, but I've never been able to get past the first five minutes.

Oh, but you must, for the architecture, you will instantly want to take a vacation there unless the film lingers in your mind?

I shall of course watch for Viggo. Just saw the rerun of Witness, the other night; and god has my county changed in 24 years re: evident landscape in this film.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4169 on: May 13, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

"Oh, but you must, for the architecture, you will instantly want to take a vacation there unless the film lingers in your mind?"

LOL

Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: