Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 05:42:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53116 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4170 on: May 13, 2008, 10:49:58 AM »

The 28 Days I know of is a different kind of horror story - Sandra Bullock and Viggo Mortensen in a rehab center, IIRC.  28 Days Later fits your description above, but I've never been able to get past the first five minutes.

Oh, but you must, for the architecture, you will instantly want to take a vacation there unless the film lingers in your mind?

Really, I should watch 28 Days Later for Cillian Murphy, whom I will watch in just about anything.  But I just can't get past the big screechy thing in the beginning, which I would guess is integral to the plot.  I believe there is a sequel, 28 Weeks Later (seriously).

And I'm sorry, madupont, but I don't watch Damages, so I'm without a clue on that one.

More Alex Cord trivia -- according to one source, he's a lifelong horse lover so he must be a good guy.  And strange (to me) but true, he was married to Joanna Pettet -- who IMO could play Mariette Hartley's sister -- at one time.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4171 on: May 13, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »

I have to correct one small but pernicious error in my earlier Hartley postings --

She played in Earth II, but not the series I described, which was "Earth 2" and ran about 25 years AFTER Earth II --

Earth II starred Gary Lockwood ("Frank" in "2001" and maybe a ghost-Frank in one of the sequels), Tony Franciosa (one of those 70s actors who somehow never achieved his full promise in later life), and Harrie's fellow high school alum (who graduated long before Harrie and sorry about the "chum" thing earlier and its unfunny implications age-wise!), and never made it past the pilot, which ran in 1971.

Earth 2 starred deep-voiced Clancy Brown, puffy-lipped Debrah Farentino, and (oh, too many adjectives for this fellow!  let's just say "inimitable") Tim Curry made a memorable appearance in about four later episodes.  This series ran 1994-95 and had no relation to the 70s one whatever.  This is the one that had the cool aliens who popped out of the ground, and all kinds of "Lost" weirdness that I would say qualify it as one of the significant precursors to "Lost" along with the X-Files.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4172 on: May 13, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »

...and Harrie's fellow high school alum (who graduated long before Harrie and sorry about the "chum" thing earlier and its unfunny implications age-wise!), and never made it past the pilot, which ran in 1971.

I looked it up, and Hartley was 20-plus years before me.  The closest thing to a celebrity in my class was a guy who ended up at ESPN and Cynthia Gibb's older sister (with Cynthia Gibb a couple years after).  I could always haul out the one about my sisters graduating with Marilyn Chambers, but that's getting old and predictable.

Tony Franciosa (one of those 70s actors who somehow never achieved his full promise in later life),

And I so agree on this -- some of the stuff he did showed such promise (including marrying Shelley Winters), I thought he'd hit it bigger than he did.  Still, fun to watch in a bunch of things.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4173 on: May 13, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »

In the public section of today's Wall Street Journal there's a piece on Mamet (and how Redbelt came about, Mamet's vision of it, etc).  I was a little surprised -- but I guess not too much -- to find that Mamet and Al Bundy are friends. Here's the link if anyone's interested.

http://tinyurl.com/5p6wkg
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4174 on: May 13, 2008, 03:23:58 PM »

In "28 Days" Sandra Bullock is a zombie who wakes up after a booze and drug-fueled stupor that she is still a zombie after rehab.

"28 Days Later" is the sequel set in the UK.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4175 on: May 13, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

In "28 Days" Sandra Bullock is a zombie who wakes up after a booze and drug-fueled stupor that she is still a zombie after rehab.

Now that I would watch.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4176 on: May 13, 2008, 08:38:20 PM »

In "Island Rental," which has been just greenlighted by Fox Searchlight, a family checks into a beachfront home that is creepy from the get-go, or has inherited it, whatever the summer read plus would be...the idea being that it is dilapidated and poses structural dangers to the children, and that there is a weirdo who rents the apartment downstairs, tales of a ghost that may inhabit the structure, a teen daughter drawn to a skate punk she's just met, who is also very creepy, and a storm on the horizon.

I think it sounds more like a page-turner novel for people that do that rather than a movie, appleseed before apple, but it looks like something I could do in a week, especially if there is ancient burial ground.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4177 on: May 13, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »

Be careful, some studios are pulling the plug on their smaller companies.  Get your money up front.  And I'll actually buy a full-price ticket for Island Rental.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4178 on: May 13, 2008, 09:08:51 PM »

Thanks, hars, I think it has the potential to be a really funny/scary domestic thriller/horror with a heart.  Sorta.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4179 on: May 13, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »

Like you have the scene where the second wife is going "he seems harmless" before the daughter goes on a pizza date with the punk...and he's like, I'm going for a run on the beach...and he runs into a young girl who's dog has been stung by a jellyfish, which he tries to help by peeing on it's wound, telling her to go get her father,  naturally, but then, her family comes out going, oh no what happened, you know, that whole, what have you done thing??

And then on the jog back he sees the guy on the pizza date with his daughter smoking a joint and "I rode that wave like..." [punch]

[cut to] jail

Where our hero doesn't understant why he's in jail at all.

"Accused of attacking a group of juveniles, ma'am..."

"You're not from here are you?"

"No."

Honey, I don't know why you went so "crazy" last night...

that sort of thing...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4180 on: May 14, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »

Non-sequiter insanity boy hijacks forum again!!  Keeeeeyyyyyyy-aaaaaarrrrrggggghhh.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4181 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:59 PM »

Non-sequiter insanity boy hijacks forum again!!  Keeeeeyyyyyyy-aaaaaarrrrrggggghhh.

Well, keep writing -- maybe you can get Joel Silver's soon-to-be-old space as the Speed Racer fallout begins.  From Page Six: 

BOX-OFFICE bomb "Speed Racer" - which cost more than $120 million to make but raked in less than $20 million last weekend - is causing speed bumps for all involved. A source says Joel Silver, who's had an in-house production deal with Warner Bros. for almost two decades, may be leaving. "He's having maybe the worst streak we've ever seen for a producer," an insider said. Last year, Silver's turkeys included, "The Reaping," "The Invasion," "The Brave One" and "Fred Claus (sorry, law)." "For the past few months, he's been trying to get his deal extended, but the thinking at Warner is maybe just let his contract run out," we're told. Silver's deal is said to be $5 million a year plus $1.5 million per movie and close to 5 percent of the gross. His 20,000-square-foot offices are also paid by the studio. A rep for Warner said, "Joel's deal isn't up for over a year." Meanwhile, "Speed Racer" star Emile Hirsch fired United Talent Agency and said he's working with just a manager.

I know I could have used the dilapidated beach house-surf punk flick today.  One of the choices was actually The Reaping (mentioned above) - Hillary Swank picks some of the worst projects, IMO.  I did catch most of Deep Blue Sea, I think it was - a Renny Harlin cliche-laden, formula flick that was semi-enjoyable.  Gotta love a shark flick. Just gotta.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4182 on: May 14, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »

"Deep Blue Sea" has that knowledge of self-parody built in, and was a fun movie.

The problem with "Speed Racer" is that nobody could tell anything it was about other than Emile Hirsh looks like that old cartoon "Speed Racer."

Compare that with how Favreau and Downey, Jr., threw the script against the wall every day and decided to make a movie (evidently) about the people instead of the CGI.  Why did they crush and "Daredevil" bomb??  Because they made sure to make a good movie.  It's hard to do, but the ads for "Speed Racer" were awful, when nobody can tell you what a movie is about in ten words or less, or worse yet, fewer than ten words, like "speed" and "racer," and Emile Hirsh is not a star, and the people that remember it might go along for the ride if there is drama, a hook, something.

"Iron Man" proves that the general public doesn't have to know who "Iron Man" is if it's well-cast, well-reviewed, and looks good in trailers and gets to the market well ahead of everybody.  The execution looks perfect, in retrospect, but you wonder if "Speed Racer" could have done better with a different artistic approach.

Good call though, harrie, on the first bomb of the summer, I was asleep at the divining rod there.

I think "Indy" will be huge, and now you would think that "Hulk" trailers would have to hint that Downey, Jr., makes an appearance, or maybe not show him, and say "special appearance, IRON MAN," I mean, if you are Ed Norton and this was probably supposed to have hinted at the IRON MAN release, you have to take advantage of the marketing proposition that's there.  The trailer for "Hulk" doesn't look bad, but it's more CGI as well, I think you have to use IM in some way to sell "Hulk," and even...

[rumble of tectonic plates moving, distant thunder]

"In the Marvel Universe, there is a man who used technology to fight evil...

...and then there is David Banner...

"No, no, no, no, you, you, you, wouldn't like me as much, if I get angry, you wouldn't like me [uneasy smile], I just think you wouldn't like me when I'm angry....."

[cue military drums]
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4183 on: May 15, 2008, 01:44:11 AM »

Maybe it's a "bad movie," but with the right marketing, I think it's a winner.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4184 on: May 15, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »

Rumor has it that someone on this thread will purchase ten tickets to Narnia: Prince Caspian in order to sneak in for repeated viewings of "Sex in the City: the Movie."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: