Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 09:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33761 times)
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4185 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:58 PM »

nah, he does that only with movies that have gay sex.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4186 on: May 15, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »

Huge "Narnia" geek, guilty as charged...liked "Derailed" a lot, too...my short and long term memory of each is bad, can't remember which has the line "I cain't quit you..."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4187 on: May 15, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »

I SAW THE PROMOS FOR hulk
while at Iron Man, and they do not  have the impact by comparison. Or, rather they have impact all right, huge, loud, ugly without the sophistication Favreau pulled off and I don't know how the heck he did that because he is usually such a bumbler as if it was inbuilt with being a boy wonder.

Hulk is juvenile and mayhem by comparison.

Okay, now I'll shut up and plant some daisies.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4188 on: May 15, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »

"Deep Blue Sea" has that knowledge of self-parody built in, and was a fun movie.

SAM JACKSON

We!  Are going!  To pull together!  And-

SHARK

[chomp/gulp]
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4189 on: May 15, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »

"Deep Blue Sea" has that knowledge of self-parody built in, and was a fun movie.

SAM JACKSON

We!  Are going!  To pull together!  And-

SHARK

[chomp/gulp]

Yes!  It got to where I was looking forward to the sharks getting the next victim, because it was so much fun.  Sometimes two sharks would fight over someone and split him in two, or shake the person side to side like a dog does -- since it was a little cartoony, with no hint of reality and/or consequences, I found it highly entertaining. The more I think about DBS, the more I like it, in a totally joyride sort of way.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4190 on: May 15, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »

And barton totally stole my Narnia joke that was to be debuted today.  Great minds think alike....
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4191 on: May 15, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416243/
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4192 on: May 16, 2008, 12:17:54 AM »

Tobes is mostly on point with his review of KKBB even if he is late to the party realizing that "The Last Boy Scout" has always been a great movie.

He's so wrong thinking that "True Romance" and TLBS would have been better if directed by somebody other than Tony Scott, both are for one thing, really good movies, and even if the scripts are witty, they are still movies and there's no need to linger on the dialogue more than he does.

Think of the Walken/Hopper scene in TR:  I would love for somebody to explain to me how that is better executed--by Quentin Tarantino??  Maybe.  Just Maybe. 

Does Tobias think that Joel Schumacher or John Badham or other supposedly hack directors that turn in "good" movies would've been better directors for either project than Tony Scott.  Scott is unfairly criticized by cineastes for making movies that are good.  Which is fucking hard to do, and there are only ten people who could possibly have made "True Romance" or TLBC better movies than they already are...so his supposition is completely preposterous.

KKBB is a "screenwriter's delight," and because of that it's best directed by Shane Black at this point in time, but if Tobias thinks that Shane Black could have directed TLBC more than a decade ago and made a better movie than Tony Scott, he is a fucking idiot.

He may be late to appreciating Shane Black, but hating on Tony Scott--"Crimson Tide" is a brilliant entertainment with good dialogue--is so misplaced and wrong-headed, and tends to undermine his credibility to critically re-evaluate movies that he believes are in "the new cult canon," which I guess is measured by water-cooler chat and shit. 

Tony Scott is a badass.  And he does things that almost every other person on the planet can't do nearly as well.  Just because "Top Gun" is emblematic of MTV-style quick cuts and an  '80's target, seems to give full of themseves self-proclaimed academic art critics free reign to make glib comments about somebody as accomplished as Tony Scott.  Fucking unbelievable.  Who is going to direct TLBC:  Pedro Almodovar.  I don't fucking think so.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4193 on: May 16, 2008, 12:51:43 AM »

Who made the best Elmore Leonard movie?

A)  Quentin Tarantino'

B)  Steven Soderbergh

C)  Barry Sonnenfeld

D)  George Armitage

E)  Abel Ferrara

Answer:  Barry Sonnenfeld, going away, JB was boring, "Cat Chaser" a fucking mess, "The Big Bounce" not even as good as "Palmetto" (the new cult CANON??), and "Out of Sight" is the most over-rated movie in the history of filmmaking, by the NEW YORK CIRCLE JERK OF FILM CRITICS who all thought it was the best movie of the year.  Geek make genre film!!  Geek make genre film!!

And why?

Because it's hard to make a movie that's true to the material and good.  Soderberg didn't do anything Joel Schumacher couldn't have done with OOS, and TBB simply isn't as good as Armitage's "Miami Blues," a real OLD CULT CLASSIC.  I've always hated Jackie Brown because I'm one of the few people to say that Pam Grier is not a very good actress, and it's too long and boring, the DeNiro performance is lackluster, and when the best thing you can say about a film is that Brigitte Fonda is funny and endearing and the most interesting subject, and she gets shot in the parking lot, is damning with faint praise, and I like Fonda.  Some people have no fucking clue how to evaluate a "film," and it really is a shame.  I hate to add Tobias to that list, but I guess as an "academic" steeped in film education, he would know better than me what a good movie is and who should direct it. 

Notice that he doesn't suggest who could make better movies of Shane Black scripts that Tony Scott, precisely because he doesn't have the first fucking notion.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4194 on: May 16, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »

I think "Miami Blues" was based on a Charles Willeford novel, not Elmore Leonard. 

Agree that Sonnefeld made the best Leonard novel, at least the ones I've seen -- Get Shorty really captures Leonard's wit and overall style, which so neatly allows the bad guys to be hoisted by their own stupidity and greed.  And though I'm not always keen on Travolta, his Chili Palmer is just perfect.  All the in-jokes in the film, many which compare filmmaking to racketeering, are delivered delicately so you're not pulled out of the action.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4195 on: May 18, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »

Thank's for the correction and I agree with your assessment.  I've always thought the Soderberg/Sonnenfeld/QT comparison would be a good first assignment in a film class where you, instead of a textbook, buy a three-month netflix account, and instead of homework you watch movies as homework, then watch 7 or so movies together, read some Kael and Ebert reviews, compare and contrast, and then read "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls," and watch one Keaton film, a Chaplin as homework, "The Big Sleep," "Double Indemnity," "The Long Goodbye," "Miller's Crossing," and then "The Wild Bunch"/"Butch Cassidy, "Dressed to Kill," "The Last Detail, "The Player," and "Reservoir Dogs," and then finally "Chinatown," "Barton Fink," "Unforgiven," and "Shampoo." 

If it's the fall you all also watch "Halloween" together for fun and write an essay of any length on whether it's a good movie, scary movie, both, or doesn't matter.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4196 on: May 19, 2008, 09:57:15 AM »

A better syllabus than the one I've seen for intro film studies here at UNL.  I agree that the Shampoo follows the reservoir dogs.  It just makes sense.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4197 on: May 19, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

I guess you need to work "The Philadelphia Story" and "It Happened one Night" in there, too. 

Homework:  Pick from the following 15 Rule of 2's films and compare and contrast the relative merits and shortcomings of each.

Homework:  "Shattered" vs. "Basic Instinct," why trash can be good for you.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4198 on: May 19, 2008, 08:26:17 PM »

Well, I remember what Basic Instinct was good for but can't recall Shattered; do we have to look it up for credit? B.I. caused me to recognize another blonde from the past, so Bas.Instinct was good for having another blond to turn to because she automatically identified with other blondes both from the past of Noir Detective Fiction  and today's version. At the moment Sharon Stone was the latest thing. If that was her golden age, her acting moment came in a little film called: Bobby.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4199 on: May 19, 2008, 11:15:06 PM »

Future generations will appreciate Paul Verhoeven much more than like, people right now do..."Basic Instinct" is one of the better movies, one that slammed the door shut on the "'80's," as much of a movie about movies as "The Player," but in a more serpentine or garish/sly way, to say you are witnessing genius when you watch BI to me is a no-brainer, it's just that PV played into the cliche as archetypally and parodically that you can't find the distinction between the thing and the auteur, I mean, it's funny to be essentially "slumming" in "genre fare" and delivering exactly what people want to see when they go to the movies, not to mention that it's technically impervious to assault, meaning "beautiful to look at...," it's so funny how people don't know how hard that is to do...like Scott Tobias saying that what a shame that Tony Scott directed "True Romance," and it's not, oh, you think you could've done, better, CRITIC, but more like, start naming names of people that can make a better movie of TR than Tony Scott, I fucking dare you to start naming people who should've directed it (which he doesn't offer), totally absurd, a complete revelation that he's trying to turn the corner to sniff at A.O. Scott, who wouldn't know a good movie it it bit him in the ass either, or why it's good.  People who insist they are academics, and say, hey, I guess they'll call me an academic elitist when I say...that's fucking TMI, when you say that I say, no, it looks like you don't like movies, or have any appreciation of how hard they are to make.  Name bad movies that Tony Scott has made.  I fucking dare you.  One?  Christ.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:48:47 PM by jbottle » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: