Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 07:59:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33168 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4215 on: May 22, 2008, 11:55:53 AM »

Just checked out The Lives of Others --  excellent.  Or, "ausgezeichnet."  The way it brings off your sympathy shift for the Stasi officer is awe-inspiring.   

Word - the actor who played the Stasi officer just died recently.  I was hoping to see him in some American movies at some point.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4216 on: May 22, 2008, 12:06:27 PM »

Good to hear -- I've been trying to catch up with The Lives of Others but always catch it about halfway through.  I'll definitely have to record it for future viewing.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4217 on: May 22, 2008, 08:39:55 PM »

http://www.hbo.com/films/recount/index.html?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image

Must watch on tv this weekend Sunday because it is Kevin Spacey with a very supportive cast.

Barton(reminder) hope you found my note to look at Book Reviews and News for Internet Lives.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4218 on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »

http://www.hbo.com/films/recount/index.html?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image

Must watch on tv this weekend Sunday because it is Kevin Spacey with a very supportive cast.

Barton(reminder) hope you found my note to look at Book Reviews and News for Internet Lives.

Speaking of which, Spacey was on Scarborough (actually Brzynski) and Friends this morning plugging Recount

1) He was constantly plugging that Danny Strong wrote the flick, which I thought was pretty generous of the guy.  Unless the film sucks, and Spacey is throwing the blame in advance.  But the clip I saw looked pretty good, so I'd call that an outside chance.

2) Danny Strong is known to me for playing Jonathan, the ultimate nerd throughout the entire run of  Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I find really funny.  He did the part very well, stealing the scenes he was in (IMHO) and making you empathize and feel for the inner geek most of us have (and hide).   So I was surprised to see that the Danny Strong who was Jonathon was the same Danny Strong from Recount.  (Look! I dropped his name almost as much as Spacey did.)

3) The one thing I didn't like was that Spacey was "on" which I usually find a turn-off in actors.  It's like, you're on here as yourself, be yourself.  If you turn out to be a beer-slurpin', chain-smokin' whatever, I'll deal. My sister and I once ate at a Friendly's where Frank Langella was holding court so to speak (it was a dry town), and I was forever soured on the guy by the experience.

I hope Recount does well.  If you do watch it, madupont, please report back.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:39:53 PM by harrie » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4219 on: May 22, 2008, 11:26:37 PM »

''Frank Langella was holding court so to speak..." , Harrie, that's his forte.

I  think it happens, after being on stage a long time, that is in the theatre. Somewhere in your older years, which Spacey is just now approaching and Frank has  been there for some time, your discrimination between who you are as a performer on stage and being off-stage in ordinary life has been lost for good.

But then, think of how many other not very talented people,who are not actors, act as if they are.(and they invariably behave as they think actors would,wouldn't they?) This is a big bore when somebody does life the way supposedly an actor acts a role. You as the viewer by choice at least know that the actor is immersed in the role and a little thrill runs through you while you recognize that you are seeing a great performance.

When a non-actor does it to you and wants you to live out the pretention with him, so he can get his jollies, you just want to not have to put up with this person. But, he will invariably follow you around, at heart, a stalker. Then she will insist ( as they come in both sexes;sometimes even matched sets. I guess that was what Edward Albee wrote about in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Their favorite expression is: "Gotcha") that you are the stalker.

I am actually quite impressed whenever I have occasion to just about eaves-drop on Langella going into his act; because, he knows so much about life and, suddenly, it gets downright scary: what is he going to do to you?

Spacey on the other hand, let's face it, he's made a career of these unusual responses, it is his style of acting, and you never know what to expect if you fall into it? He may just apologize and delight you that he pulled it off again.

(but I know what you mean about "it was a dry town" because at least one can escape by getting shellacked)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4220 on: May 22, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »

madupont, you're half-right on the dry town thing.  The other part is that since wine/beer/alcohol aren't served in town, there aren't many good restaurants; which partially explains why sis and I were there (also, she was hungry and pregnant), and also accounts for the surreal experience of Langella entertaining his minions in a Friendly's, of all places.  It's sort of akin to holding court at the local BP station on a warm summer night.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4221 on: May 22, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »

I think I went low on IJ4.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4222 on: May 23, 2008, 01:06:13 AM »

I'm being x-ed out by whoever runs the show.
Detective_Winslow

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4223 on: May 23, 2008, 03:43:47 AM »

Some of the dialogue was naturally cheesy, and as per usual, you can expect the villains to shoot 0/10,000, but it was entertaining enough.

Sorry for the spoiler, but.....

INDY DIES!

Cry

I hope that I haven't offended anyone.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4224 on: May 23, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »

You are a world class asshole. 

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4225 on: May 23, 2008, 10:14:38 AM »

Oilcan, I'm really sorry to hear that Ulrich Muhe died.   Very prematurely, he was in his early 50s.   Everyone's acting in that film was very understated, in keeping with the time and place, but he had by far the toughest role -- and made it memorable.   

Maddie, I will check out your review, thanks for alerting me.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4226 on: May 23, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

madupont, you're half-right on the dry town thing.  The other part is that since wine/beer/alcohol aren't served in town, there aren't many good restaurants; which partially explains why sis and I were there (also, she was hungry and pregnant), and also accounts for the surreal experience of Langella entertaining his minions in a Friendly's, of all places.  It's sort of akin to holding court at the local BP station on a warm summer night.

But it might just make a good plot for a contemporary version of what used to be the Twilight Zone, more or less in the style of Fellini, as long as we can be sure Stephen King doesn't get his hands on it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4227 on: May 23, 2008, 01:21:49 PM »

jbottle

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en.html

A Malkovich-writer Kaufman make directing... 
 http://tinyurl.com/6p2eva

Remarks of Philip Seymour Hoffman and others...

What did you mean, you are being x-ed out?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4228 on: May 23, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »

Seems like a few of my posts disappeared.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4229 on: May 23, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »

... And that was Jonas Bottlesorth - too weird to post, too rare to die.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: