Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 01:53:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52489 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4230 on: May 23, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »

There I went, thanks go to the impeccable "eric_stratten," whose amazing voice is in the running for best "joke" of the summer so far by "spoiling INDY..." I can't say I'm happy about it, but I guess I "get it."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4231 on: May 23, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

jbottle

I hear ya. Have had a little difficulty myself getting the combination right that opens the locker to the forums.

http://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4232 on: May 23, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »

There I went, thanks go to the impeccable "eric_stratten," whose amazing voice is in the running for best "joke" of the summer so far by "spoiling INDY..." I can't say I'm happy about it, but I guess I "get it."

The finest con artist dentist who ever identified a "hoor."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4233 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

His "spoiler" of that Michael Douglas film was priceless.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4234 on: May 24, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »

Someone named Eric and the Det. are the same?   Not up on all the NYT refugees, I guess.

Here are my spoilers:

His sled was called "Rosebud."

The Irish dude's girlfriend was a man.

The shrink is actually a ghost, too.

The limping guy is actually Keyzer Soze.

Bonnie just went to Vegas for a couple days -- no one kidnapped her.

The computer is insane and Dave will turn into a superhuman space-baby.

The falcon is a fake -- it got switched with the real one.

The girl's father is also her daughter's father.  Forget it, Jake.

The rich guy was facing bankruptcy, so he stole his own painting so he could collect insurance money and not have to give up his prized possession.

The 19th century village is actually a modern utopian experiment located a couple hours out of Philly.

It was Boo Radley, looking out for the kids.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4235 on: May 24, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »

Oh, and....

the dog dies.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4236 on: May 24, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »

"The Irish dude's girlfriend was a man."

The chick has a ___. is the proferred "nomenclature."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4237 on: May 24, 2008, 01:23:26 PM »

But good stuff, bart.

Indy did $25M on Thursday, and may have done another 40 on Friday, you add in 60 on Saturday and 25 on Sunday and 15 on Mon., and you get to $165M, the exact number of the Guru.

I'm still sticking with my number however, and that if the buzz is good then I'll be okay, if not it could end up in the  high 130's, so that's your range now, from 130-190 through Mon.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4238 on: May 24, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »

Someone named Eric and the Det. are the same?   Not up on all the NYT refugees, I guess.

Here are my spoilers:

His sled was called "Rosebud."

The Irish dude's girlfriend was a man.

The shrink is actually a ghost, too.

The limping guy is actually Keyzer Soze.

Bonnie just went to Vegas for a couple days -- no one kidnapped her.

The computer is insane and Dave will turn into a superhuman space-baby.

The falcon is a fake -- it got switched with the real one.

The girl's father is also her daughter's father.  Forget it, Jake.

The rich guy was facing bankruptcy, so he stole his own painting so he could collect insurance money and not have to give up his prized possession.

The 19th century village is actually a modern utopian experiment located a couple hours out of Philly.

It was Boo Radley, looking out for the kids.

Barton, what's the game? I missed some communication here> but I know only four or five of your trivialities although vaguely familiar with several more that I can't name off hand other than the stars perhaps.

We know that Rosebud belongs to Orson Welles.

Kaiser Soze(sic) is the star of :The Usual Suspects and we will watch him tomorrow nite!

Dave will turn into a superhuman space baby in --2001:A Space Odyssey (the film at which everybody must get stoned...)

And the Maltese Falcon comes immediately after that with my favorite cast of characters Peter Lorre, Sidney Greenstreet, Bogart was just a melancholy chump in those years who sometime cracked a beautiful smile(I was too young to pay attention to the female players, perhaps Mary Astor?)

This is followed by Chinatown, with John Huston,Faye Dunaway, a short little Polish director who slits Jack's nose or, Jake Giddes'; and I love the guy who works in the municipal Water office who I think also became Dustin Hoffman's father in the Anne Bancroft tour de force as Mrs. Robinson.

That's all I could manage by immediate identity. But some of the others are nagging me....
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4239 on: May 24, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »

Madupont, some of those may not even be accurate, it's been so long since I've viewed them.  Here are the films, to jog your memory....

His sled was called "Rosebud."  -- Citizen Kane

The Irish dude's girlfriend was a man. -- The Crying Game

The shrink is actually a ghost, too. -- The Sixth Sense

The limping guy is actually Keyzer Soze.  -- The Usual Suspects

Bonnie just went to Vegas for a couple days -- no one kidnapped her.   -- The Big Lebowski

The computer is insane and Dave will turn into a superhuman space-baby. -- 2001

The falcon is a fake -- it got switched with the real one. -- The Maltese Falcon

The girl's father is also her daughter's father.  Forget it, Jake.  --  Chinatown

The rich guy was facing bankruptcy, so he stole his own painting so he could collect insurance money and not have to give up his prized possession. -- The Thomas Crown Affair (the one with Steve McQueen, anyway)

The 19th century village is actually a modern utopian experiment located a couple hours out of Philly.  -- The Village (Shyamalanahaassapeemapetalan)

It was Boo Radley, looking out for the kids.  (That Harper Lee thing with Greg Peck and Bob DuVall)
(Tequila Mockingbird Sunrise?  something like that...)

bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4240 on: May 24, 2008, 05:12:37 PM »

Oh, and...

The dog died.  -- Old Yeller

Oh, and...

The mole is the secret agent's boss.  --5,467 spy movies

Actually, the "game" should be to pick the MOST generic spoiler you can think of....

E.g. the monster is killed, comes back to life, and then is killed again, more permanently.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4241 on: May 24, 2008, 11:43:17 PM »

I enjoyed that quiz muchly.  Got everything but The Thomas Crown Affair.  And I've seen that a couple times, so am suitably ashamed.  (And, uh...it's Bunny Lebowski.)

Just sayin' that right now that I'm impaired, so sorry about the typos.

So -- luck upon luck, I saw most of Ticker the other day. jbottle, everything you said about it is true, and more. It's bad. From just totally implausible plot lines, like the rummy informant who speaks like a robot and recalls incredible detail, especially for a drunk; to Jaime Pressly -- whom I like -- coming across like some kind of robot; to Dennis Hopper phoning it in -- and phoning it in as he's phoning it in -- as the mad bomber; to poignant narrative like "Love is forever. And that's a long time"  --- this flick is a classic waiting to happen.  I sincerely hope to catch it again someday.

One thing I never realized is that Tom Sizemore can be really good. So 1) what's he doing here? Oh, yeah, feeding the habit; and 2) it's too bad he has demons to serve, because they're destroying his talent.  A little melodramatic, yes, but so what.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4242 on: May 25, 2008, 12:22:20 AM »

yeah, I know that Beau Radley sounded familiar, but that film about the childhood of Harper Lee and Truman Capote, staring Gregory Peck and Brock Peters was too far back for it to connect.

I'd love to know where that  Shymalan chosen village is? When I saw the film on tv, it reminded me of a place we have in Ephrata known as The Cloisters, which is quite eerie although not every part of it has that effect, given enough sunshine.  It has incredibly heavy vibes for several reasons, the strongest possibility to account for it was that it served as a Revolutionary war hospital and the sect that was living there at the time and cared for the dying was a quite strange group of Germans whose robes are a little bit more than intimidating.    

Pennsylvania has more than its share of haunted atmosphere. I stopped at a country hotel, on one occasion for Sunday dinner at this season of the year and, the attitude of the habitues, was very peculiar, in this case rural English. It did have a strange history, so I decided to look over the place going from room to room, and you cannot imagine many people would care to stay there as it was  shabby and unclean (but many places in English-Pennsylvania are) plus the peculiarity of the bar room regulars with nothing else to do on a Sunday, sans tv at that, was entirely off-putting. One begins to believe in the possibility ala ghost-busters that violent crimes leave their imprint of disturbed energy which continue to effect things badly.

Your best sample was indeed The Crying Game. I had completely forgotten about that; perhaps because by now it is less uncommon. Example being why I could not recall the name of Elizabeth Hurley's former boyfriend, when telling harrie about a film Hurley was in; I developed a mental block about some of the best acting that he does of being a too highly bred upper crust Englishman, after he threw caution to the winds and was picked up from his car and booked for being entertained,or perhaps entertaining(?) a colorful transvestite.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4243 on: May 25, 2008, 12:40:18 AM »

Harrie, I hadn't seen it in a while, and I'm glad that you are on the same page as far as great bad vs. bad bad.

There is a very fine line, and Albert Pyun, accidentally born in San Diego, nurtured under Kurosawa and Mifune, and inspired by Sergio Leone and favorably compared with French absurdist Jean-Luc Godard, walks it like it's his business.

It's scary out there in "Ticker," where you're going, what am I seeing here, Peter Green barely being able to speak out of a heroin binge and a director who doesn't give a damn at all??, or genius, or trash, or all three rolled up into a big fat enigmatic riddle wrapped in a burrito shaped like the universe.  Sometimes, alas, you just have to gleam the cube, and that's all I really have to say.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4244 on: May 25, 2008, 01:02:41 AM »

jbottle, maybe you can resolve a mystery that I've finally discovered by watching a Sean Penn, from 2004. The Assassination of Richard Nixon.
One of the nicer things about it was rediscovering Michael Wincott as Penn's very Hasidic brother which comes as a minor shock but not entirely. He's almost up there with Daniel Day-Lewis. 

Then there is a good performance from Don Cheadle. 

The capper is Naomi Watts, now what could go so wrong with a Naomi Watts movie? Of course, she is playing Sean's estranged wife, but this makes for wrong beyond belief.  Most people alienating their spouse and falling into deep estrangement don't involve themselves in the pursuit of unimaginable tragedies.

Then as the film ended, I realized, wait a minute, this stuff is Sean Penn's forte. He's been doing this for years, one after another; sometimes he takes a break and gives you a bit of real comedy. By now this has to have warped his personality! What gives him this desire to examine the mixed up lives of truly messed up guys?
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: