Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 17, 2018, 07:06:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52681 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4275 on: May 29, 2008, 08:26:16 AM »

I have to agree with nytempsperdu (probably because I have a son who kept a stash of Playboys in a clubhouse he and the kid next door built out of scrap from various antiquated out buildings and then 4-H wired with electricity; but that was long ago....);on average, La Perrine turns into a force of nature that under the circumstances you might rather not meet if transported into the actuality of the world as "Lenny" lived it (the police busted him everytime he came to our hometown, with the full cooperation of the mafia who had brought him there, of course).

Yet if you met her through the dreamworld of Kurt Vonnegut,jr.,where here nature is translated to make of Valerie an ancient gift of the gods ala a Fellini film, and junior now a much older and wiser man believes he is living in an enclosed biodome out there in space with La Perrine(which is quite a funny scene stolen from some ancient Greek playwright in which "the gods" turn out to be voyeurs as we've always suspected), then you might discern what certain plainer men perceive in dumb blondes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:28:23 AM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4276 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »

It seemed like an aging cops bad dream, especially as we close with the rather ordinary breakfast scene that is somehow less lyrical than the rest of the film.  I don't think it matters whether you could make the argument, the conversation beween the Sheriff and his father was interesting but not very dreamlike, and some of it is just great noir storytelling.  I don't think the "dream" theory works all that well but Chigurh seems more like a force of nature or a figment of the imagination, which he is, in McCarthy's novel of course.

Up next:  "There will be blood..."

Breakfast scenes have to be ordinary, where everything else is "fit for a dream" material.  I am referring of course to much that takes place between the sheriff and his wife, who live in a fantasy world of their own (the characters who are introduced sometimes only by visual, as in the neighbor across the way with an itty-bitty dog in contrast to her physical girth as she adjusts her sun-bathing gear as seen from the other trailer) which becomes dreamlike in dialogue and setting, as he gives her directions through a series of phone calls,and you begin to suspect she is being shadowed as she stands out in the middle of a Texas street, talking with an old lady who has seen it all, and is now approached by a dapper Mexican who intends to help her with her bag as she is about to board a bus.

These are Coen characters.

For Tommy Lee Jones, the breakfast scene has to be ordinary(although his monologue is lyrical) because in finality it completes the cycle as it ties up, by tie-in, the opening scene where we meet him for the first time and he reminisces quite honesty (although not to reveal any state of shock), to his under-partner while observing the crime scene laid out before them, that times have changed in regard to the severity and complexity of the crimes investigated.

Further more, I think this is possibly  something from which the brothers Coen suffer themselves, a disjunction between from where they arrived at the dreamlike California apparition, and this transfers into their cinematography, as their peculiar vision of the world, it's there in every film they've made.

Take a look over any of this, their bio page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001053/bio

Ethan has one; Joel has one. They are pretty much alike in anecdotal material with some variations individually.
And you can see the progression to what they became. It's very close, being just three years apart in age, growing up in Bobby Dylan land, and despite a distinct difference in their education, the experience of brotherhood shared is imprinted for all time when they are handed that first assignment.

I like the little details, like the character of "Marva Munson" being pointed  out as showing up in several of their films. This is the authentic touch of their Minnesota roots(I can authenticate that from working with her cousin at Franks' Apple Orchard, across the river; just spoofing you, but it is a territorial name,Scandinavian.

Here's where they got it from as well:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0613242/ Audrey Marie Munson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Munson

Unless, of course, she is actually, Ona Munson
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0613262/bio

They intertwine their growing up experiences as brothers with the California encounter. I suspect, their parents realized early that they had a couple of geniuses to educate.

As far as Chigurh being a force of imagination in McCarthy, I'll have to ask Desdemona222b about that as she's planning to read it after we finish another project for discussion, and maybe I will get a chance to read it too. I think possible what you refer to as force of imagination, or imaginative force, it is what I call the dream in everyone,the dreamlike experience, that the Buddhists warn you about. You may not really exist at all but just dream you are a person with a history and connections and relationships, for now. I think the Coens absolutely capture that very well. The utter confusion of waking up where you are in some movie and then convincing yourself that this script makes sense and holding it together as Gabriel Byrne does so well in Miller's Crossing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:04:57 AM by madupont » Logged
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4277 on: May 29, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »

Sad day...Hedley Lamar dies:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2008-05-29_D90VM29O0&show_article=1&cat=breaking

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4278 on: May 29, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »

Harrie,

Remember when you asked if Arthur was buried at Stonehenge? Well, maybe not him but....

In looking up some of the links to the  Audrey Marie Munson article, I noticed this on the side of the page --

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/30/science/30stonehenge.html?em&ex=1212206400&en=7c0d43b9423f6868&ei=5087%0A
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4279 on: May 30, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »

What, and I just found out where to get her sarong from J. Peterman, in case I need it this summer.    Of course, I do remember her from all those "Road" movies(but I have to admit, I was a kid who didn't understand what was so funny about Bob Hope, never cottoned to him; and the only thing that kids my age at the time pay the least attention to Bing Crosby was that presentation of him in a white collar and cassock so that we accepted him under false pretenses. After The Bells of St. Mary's, it was all over.  So that leaves Hedy Lamar as the only passable member of the road-trio. I'd have to bet that thousands of G.I.s felt the same way although she was probably more than passable to them. 

Which means that Hedy supported Bing and Bob's  popularity by keeping them in front of the public in general who were their film going audience. Frankly, I never heard of a woman who went to a "Road to..." movie when ladies' matinees were important to box-office.  That was just not their handkerchief to cry in. B and B plus H were for yuks and women just weren't attuned to that at the time.

I may be wrong but wasn't Hedy married to Chaplin as one of his serial wives?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4280 on: May 30, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »

I think you didn't read that last post too well, and you're not familiar with "Blazing Saddles".

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4281 on: May 30, 2008, 01:02:48 PM »

I just caught it re: tv and Carol Lawrence', "Younger sister" in their skits; obviously, younger sister had a personality like mine!  I did see Blazing Saddles, along with almost everything done by Mel Brooks(which was apparently more  my kind of humor than Bing and Bob?).

But for poor Harvey, like the old New York saying, "Living in L.A. is not for sissies."  An abdominal aneurysm is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4282 on: May 30, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »

I used to watch the CB show religiously growing up, and the Conway/Corman skits were the best, that was one really funny guy. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4283 on: May 30, 2008, 05:14:04 PM »

I think you didn't read that last post too well, and you're not familiar with "Blazing Saddles".

Alternately...."That's HEDLEY!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4284 on: May 30, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

A movie we are supposed to look forward to with Julianne Moore, Savage Grace, (perhaps I'll read Howard Rodman's book to feel less prurient than seeing the movie) stars the young man who played  the son of Angelina Jolie,  and Matt Damon's son as well, in  The Good Shepherd. Eddie Redmayne struck me as a bit of a mama's boy throughout, although for the sake of the plot an important part of the context required a suspension of disbelieve on my part that he was at all anything but heterosexual.

Viewing the video clips on Savage Grace destroys any doubts whatsoever, in an effort to make an explicit movie at least as explicit as was Mankiewicz production of Tennessee William's, Suddenly Last Summer.

While looking over the cast, I discovered that  Belén Rueda,  whom I had just seen in The Sea Within, as Javier Bardem's lawyer in his right-to-die legal battle, is somewhere in this movie; most likely in the locale of one of the many places the family of three turns up, or at least some of them, in their flitting about, in search of whatever. The film is to cover a duration of time from Manhattan at the end of the Forties to post-war France in the Fifties, to the Spanish "riviera" in the Sixties, on to  London as an end.  Which leads us to Stephan Dillane.

That I think is a good idea. At least for women who are taken to see this film on a night such as this. You know what I mean.

I will probably go instead to see, The Visitor.  As there is no way, you will get me to go see The Strangers, much as I admire Liv Tyler for whom I consider this a step down from the pedestal upon which Jeremy Irons placed her a good decade ago. Ah, Tuscany. I even think of it in the correct pronunciation since then.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:29:55 PM by madupont » Logged
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4285 on: May 31, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »

Alternately...."That's HEDLEY!"
Grin

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4286 on: May 31, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »

I think you may be looking for the department that's one step to the right at the bottom of this staircase where the elevator shoots up to the aerie for the more rara avis  of film poetics; it is right past the trivia department but came about as an intense desire to create a difference between intense film esoterica at a higher going rate than us drudges down here with the receipts,the directors, occasionally a producer, the actors, and the writers who produce the slush fund.

You caught me off guard:

Roger Corman (Producer, The Little Shop of Horrors (1960))
 birth name "Roger William Corman"

Names (Partial Matches) (Displaying 42 Results) 1. Cis Corman (Casting Director, Raging Bull (1980))
 2. Matt Corman (Writer, Deck the Halls (2006))
 3. Avery Corman (Writer, Kramer vs. Kramer (1979))
 4. Joel Corenman (Producer, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007))
 aka "Joel Corman"
 5. Enzo Corman (Writer, Je m'appelle (2002))
 6. Gene Corman (Producer, The Big Red One (1980))
 7. Andrea Giordana (Actor, Quella sporca storia nel west (1968))
 aka "Chip Corman"
 8. David Gregory (III) (Director, Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Shocking Truth (2000) (V))
 aka "Tod Corman"
 9. Corki Corman (Actress, Night Shift (1982))
 10. Maddie Corman (Actress, Maid in Manhattan (2002))
 11. Rosemary Corman (Actress, The Cure (1995))
 12. Craig Corman (Director, Vital Parts (2001))
 13. Dick Corman (Actor, That Thing You Do! (1996))
 14. Julie Corman (Producer, Boxcar Bertha (1972))
 15. Peter Corman (Actor, Kiss or Kill (1997))
 16. Todd Corman (Second Unit Director or Assistant Director, Jingle All the Way (1996))
 17. Corki Grazer (Actress, Splash (1984))
 aka "Corki Corman-Grazer"
 18. 'Nitsirk' Kristin Corman (Costume and Wardrobe Department, One Last Thing... (2005))
 19. Richard Corman (Camera and Electrical Department, Over the Brooklyn Bridge (1984))
 20. Wendy Corman (Miscellaneous Crew, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999))
 21. Brent Corman (Actor, Round Trip to Heaven (1992))
 22. Catherine Corman (Actress, Frankenstein Unbound (1990))
 23. Laura Corman (Actress, Naming the Names (1986) (TV))
 24. Mary Corman (Actress, The Skateboard Kid II (1995))
 25. Mea Corman (Animation Department, The Prince and the Pauper (1990))
 26. David Corman (Music Department, The Third Eye (2007))
 27. Emmett Corman (Sound Department, All in This Tea (2007))
 28. Leela Corman (Art Department, African American World (2005) (TV))
 29. Leonard Corman (I) (Actor, Night School (1981))
 30. Brian Corman (Actor, Hollywood Boulevard II (1989))
 31. Evelyne Corman (Actress, Minuit... Quai de Bercy (1953))
 32. Leonard Corman (II) (Actor, Hells Angels on Wheels (1967))
 33. Marvin Corman (Actor, Mahogany (1975))
 34. Mathew Corman (Miscellaneous Crew, The Last Good Time (1994))
 35. Robert Corman (Music Department, "The Revlon Revue: Tonight with Belafonte" (1959))
 36. Jason Corman (Actor, Bluelove (1999))
 37. Kimby Corman (Miscellaneous Crew, Dark Faith (1991) (V))
 38. Maggie Corman (Actress, "Rescue Me: Believe (#2.Cool" (2005))
 39. Mathieu Corman (Actor, Ce soir à huit heures (1930))
 40. Ruby Corman (Camera and Electrical Department, Prom Night III: The Last Kiss (1990))
 41. Sandrine Corman (Actress, Miss belgique 2004: Le top 5 (2003) (TV))
 42. Terence Corman 

My eyesight, you see.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4287 on: May 31, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »

Hmm.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4288 on: May 31, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »

"My eyesight"?

Harvey Korman with a "K".

As opposed to every "Corman" with a "C" ever sired...

Kan't believe it.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4289 on: June 01, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

I think this is how I fell into difficulty but I offer it for your perusal and food for thought among Movie Addicts which is perhaps what we should have called this forum?

http://www.nyu.edu/public.affairs/releases/detail/2146

Film Content, Editing, and Directing Style Affect Brain Activity, NYU Neuroscientists Show
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: