Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 03:53:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 38666 times)
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4320 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »

Honoring the acting of Bo Diddley

Bo Knows Watches---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpoLg5vOxQ

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4321 on: June 02, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »

Jbottle, Did I say somewhere that she wasn't acting? SHE  was even acting before and after the wardrobe person handed her the shoes at the request of the director.

I  noticed the shoes toward the end of the movie, along with the total pulled together look, so at the risk of revealing a spoiler, I won't but the particular scene  that requires something of the kind just happens to  bring the wrap up of the film.

Just as, for the hell of it, she is required to wear a backless dress and let her hair down so that they can dance together not really knowing that they were going to -- what was it his birthday or something?  It's been all of two  weeks, possibly  longer, and I'm already forgetting it --except for the visuals. A down fall on my part as "a part of an audience" because as you know box office depends on me forgetting and moving on to the next hit.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4322 on: June 02, 2008, 11:02:20 PM »

Honoring the acting of Bo Diddley

Bo Knows Watches---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpoLg5vOxQ

Okay, now do you remember Slim Galliard?
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4323 on: June 02, 2008, 11:23:58 PM »

Maud:  I can't go see S/C without being gay or unprincipled, I'm a moral featherweight but this is a sticking point, and they don't want me there, the significant bother or any other gay male or consumerist bitch female in the audience, see how they wouldn't like me laughing at the wrong time.

So, I went to see I/M this Sat., but noticed the sizable S/C crowd, but let's be clear:  I did not see S/C, and only heard the horde of anorxia neurvosa babes heaving popcorn and skittles as I went to go pee beer out of my penis.

http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php/topic,49.msg93505.html#msg93505

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4324 on: June 03, 2008, 12:02:01 AM »

Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin, puget continues to redefine the "douchebag," and if he continues to cut and paste my jokes, I may have to cut my time in here in half, he just cracked me up by me, and I don't even remember those jokes, so thanks for a laugh, even if you don't have an original thought other than "proud queer" in your head.  Very original.

There are gay people that can take a joke. 

And then there's you giving all of them a bad name, what a fucking loser.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4325 on: June 03, 2008, 02:25:53 AM »

Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin, puget continues to redefine the "douchebag," and if he continues to cut and paste my jokes, I may have to cut my time in here in half, he just cracked me up by me, and I don't even remember those jokes, so thanks for a laugh, even if you don't have an original thought other than "proud queer" in your head.  Very original.

There are gay people that can take a joke. 

And then there's you giving all of them a bad name, what a fucking loser.

http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php/topic,49.msg93539.html#msg93539

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4326 on: June 03, 2008, 11:57:48 AM »

For those of you who saw the reel life version of television "journalism" in the movie "Network" and enjoyed it, here's where  television "journalism" has led to in real life in the City of Brotherly Love:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080603_How_the_FBI_got_into_the_Alycia_Lane_e-male_case.html

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4327 on: June 04, 2008, 11:33:54 PM »

I think that a movie like "The Strangers" proves you can make a better movie than the rampant desperate consumerist maternal patheticism of "Sex and the City" on much less money, for example, purchase a burlap sack where Kristen ___ used to be and find somebody from tv who is scared of knives.  I know that both ventures are a success, but why, when the common denominator they share is bloodlust and vapid consumerism, should the average person give a fuck about either venture.  Aw, because, you know, Carrie, whathefuck isn't trying to solve the world's food problems and AIDS, and just feels that babyknock, that the THIRD WORLD COULDN'T POSSIBLY UNDERSTAND.

Should you have one or two??  WILL THEY BE ADMITTED TO MONTESSORI SCHOOL WHILE we Daisycutter several generations of Iraqis...let's flip a coin.

I hate to spoil GIRLS NIGHT OUT BUT YOUR TAX DOLLARS KILLED .5M Iraqis in the last 15 years.  That's ten times Vietnam if it affected your family more that the new Fendi line or whatever.  About two and a half times the number that were lost in our own Civil War.  So go ahead and spend money on shoes, hell, I do on video games, but realize, that it IS ON YOUR HEAD.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4328 on: June 05, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »

MrUtley

For those of you who saw the reel life version of television "journalism" in the movie "Network" and enjoyed it, here's where  television "journalism" has led to in real life in the City of Brotherly Love:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080603_How_the_FBI_got_into_the_Alycia_Lane_e-male_case.html

As you probably already know, the FBI is now involved.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4329 on: June 05, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

Watched Blood Diamond a couple nights ago -- well done "maguffin" based narrative that captured some of the madness of African exploitation.   The Big Cliche is resisted, so kudos that SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER the screenwriter doesn't take the philosophic route and give us, "why, it's just a bleeding lump of rose quartz, you dumb bastard!"   Going that route, we then get to see DiCaprio bleed out for no reason and gasp a few more times, "This is Africa!"  Hounsou can still board the chopper and set up the meeting with Evil Diamond Co., Connelly can snap some pix, and everybody's happy when she coughs up her christmas bonus to get the Hounsou family out of the refugee camp.  I don't know, maybe I kind of miss that big ol' cliche.  You never know.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4330 on: June 05, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »

Jbot, LOL your erased posting in response to my (now erased) posting.  We had a moment there, man, and then I blew it -- used the wrong emoticon and oh how I wish I could take it back.  Have to remember, just because the emoticon is there, you don't have to use it.  We depend on men in missile silos not to deploy a certain something just because it's available and they hold the code books and the keys.  For the safety of the forum, I follow now in their footsteps.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4331 on: June 05, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »

The Strangers looks like it has sleeper potential: made on a shoestring and placing nicely in the money race.  Plus, I cheated and looked at the cast; and characters named Mormon Boy #1 and #2, Doll-Face, Pin-Up Girl, and The Man in the Mask are hard to resist.  You gotta have horror films in the summer, it's like a law or something.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4332 on: June 05, 2008, 01:19:40 PM »

And I've had the opportunity to watch Blood Diamond a couple times, but just couldn't bring myself to want to see it. (Not a big fan of DiCaprio, already feel "diamonds bad!", etc.)  With your comment, barton, I may have to check it out next time it comes up; it's so hard to resist those maguffins.

But I did see The In-Laws (the original) and I'd forgotten how funny it is. In some ways it had the '70s stamped all over it, but other parts more than made up for that factor. 

And I saw about half of Recount, which was pretty good; even though I'm not a fan of politics, it was an interesting look, with interesting characterizations, at what went on in Florida.  Laura Dern did a great Katherine Harris but played her kind of sympathetically with regard to Harris' massive underqualifications for the position; that is, Dern played her as someone a little dim, in over her head, but didn't totally ridicule her.  Though I guess enough of that was done in the real press at the time (and I'm not saying it was unjustified, either).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:26:46 PM by harrie » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4333 on: June 05, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »

"Not a big fan of DiCaprio..."

Okay, but when you see him in the last Scorcese film, he stands out over Wahlberg and Damon and everybody but Jack as somebody able to sell the subtlety of "I'm trying to sell this guy that I'm not a snitch" and the audience should see that he's not a professional actor at doing that, the layers in that performance made me a believer again, and I can't say anything bad about the dude anymore, ever, he's that good, didn't see "Blood Diamond," but as much as I've come to appreciate his perf in the NYC one, I just give him a pass that I didn't after "Titanic."

Bart:  I had poster earlier that the emoticon is a slippery slope and when all 16 of the emotions are all there including Mickey Rooney as a Chinaman:

Grin

...you have to respect, the uh, many colours of the human emotional, uh, pallette.

Respek.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4334 on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:32 PM »

Bart:  I had poster earlier that the emoticon is a slippery slope and when all 16
of the emotions are all there including Mickey Rooney as a Chinaman:

Grin

...you have to respect, the uh, many colours of the human emotional, uh, pallette.

Huh Huh Huh

That sounds kind of "racist" to me.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 06:11:29 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: