Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 06:06:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52810 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4335 on: June 05, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »

The sad part being that it's based on a real-life horrifically unfortunate casting choice....

(Mickey Rooney playing the irate Asian neighbor in Breakfast at Tiffany's)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4336 on: June 05, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »

You're right, jbottle, I think DiCaprio is extremely talented; guess I've just heard too many conversations (not necessarily here) that go something like:

"Oh, this movie is so good because it has (Leonardo DiCaprio, for example) in it"
"Really, what's it about?"
"I dunno, but it had (Leonardo DiCaprio)"

So if I see a LDC flick, it's more despite his presence in it than anything else. Clive Owen and some others -- perhaps a cast of thousands, who knows? --  fall into the same category.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4337 on: June 05, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »

Clive Owen was in "Derailed," right, I mean, wait of course he was, I guess the Jenifer Aniston performance made me forget for a second--he was awesome, I'll go see a movie ten times just because he's in it, you can tell that is acting when other people are just "trying to become the thing," yeah he's got it, in spades, and it's all on display in "Derailed," if I'm thinking of the one I've listened to the Commentary on...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4338 on: June 05, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »

Harrie,re:#4333
"...with regard to Harris' massive underqualifications for the position; that is, Dern played her....|

As keeping it together?  I absolutely loved her walk-in toward the end of the film where she has to make her announcement. She stops before the door, takes a breath, goes through carefully, looks up and looks around, pretending to be really very natural and proceeds onward to her mike, stands there for a second, then slides into her chair, arranges herself again and intones into the microphone whatever she has to say in her super-feminine style.

Which incidentally is why she was hired. Not because these guys like to have a silly, perhaps sexually overt female cohort on board; but, because she is a dumb broad. Prior to this election, the previous and senior Bush administration treated administrative staff in Foreign Service
despicably by hoodwinking them. So, you can not put it past his son, down in Florida, keeping somebody around who would obediently do some of the dastardly deeds, which by then he knew his father had done by  ordering a female Ambassador to present a garbled communication that would  get the show on the road and hang Sadham.

Eventually, we get the same reproachable conduct out of Dick Cheney who just doesn't care that the sexy blonde has a husband and is, therefore, one-half of a dual-income family in the Foreign Service. While she's doing the VP a favor of giving him backup information that he needs (without asking questions; in other words, without questioning "authority" -- that in the outside world we consider a no-no dumb thing to do, whereas on the inside, it is obligatory and comes with the territory.

Now, heres, the cruncher. After the fact, while the world of CNN,MSNBC,Fox viewers  vote their interior preference whether Roly-Poly Rove or that other Gnome Novack behind a news desk is the culprit, and the posters  in the blogs are declaring she "wasn't an agent. For god's sakes, she had a desk job!" (unsaid: "like the rest of us") -- who is the instigator of this false flag episode? Why Dickey Cheney, highschool lineman for the football team in some podunk Wyoming town, who married his  highschool sweet-heart after she earned a college degree to support them, and then he went to work for George Herbert Walker Bush, sort of, the guy who found out Dick was uneducable, but George got him a job to support a family when Dick and Lynn had one child, a girl.

So,yeah, the outing of Joe's wife  was gratis, a scenario left over from the norms of the 1950s; just as was letting Katharine Harris take the rap because you wouldn't want a former President's son to be held responsible when he was only doing a favor for his brother, right?

It's the same kind of norm of making a hero out of McCain because his father and his grandfather(?)were active Navy men  before him; so, you've got to uphold the tradition, which takes a certain amount of dumb broadery.  It's my intent, if I could, to just go to sleep until the election is all over, and then I'll hibernate and you can wake me when the Inauguration has been done. Oh, that's right, I have to go vote, besides!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:56:02 PM by madupont » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4339 on: June 06, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »

Harrie,re:#4333
"...with regard to Harris' massive underqualifications for the position; that is, Dern played her....|

So,yeah, the outing of Joe's wife  was gratis, a scenario left over from the norms of the 1950s; just as was letting Katharine Harris take the rap because you wouldn't want a former President's son to be held responsible when he was only doing a favor for his brother, right?

madupont, I totally get that.  I was just pleasantly surprised that Harris' portrayal was not completely buffoonish, or a reinterpretation of Cruella DeVille or Natasha Nogoodnik, or some other caricature.  That would have been such an easy (and fun) route to take.  Instead, Ms. Harris was allowed to be a human being, though admittedly not the brightest star in the galaxy.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4340 on: June 06, 2008, 09:37:27 AM »

All you LDC ambivalence sufferers, go see Blood Diamond. 

Yeah, that fourth emotie from the left is a definite Mickey Rooney.  I like Puget's emotie, which seems to say, "I have curly hair."

Huh

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4341 on: June 06, 2008, 01:49:28 PM »

jbot and harrie,

As in the United States, “Sex and the City” roared past the new “Indiana Jones” movie for the top spot at the German box office last weekend.
http://tinyurl.com/53jkba

"Is it a coincidence that the bubbling idiocy of “Sex and the City,” the movie, exploded upon the cultural scene at the exact same time that Hillary Clinton’s candidacy imploded?"
Judith Warner

http://tinyurl.com/3kn53e
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4342 on: June 06, 2008, 03:44:27 PM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/39998,arts,film-review-gone-baby-gone-superhero-movie-the-waiting-room-in-memory-of-my-father
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4343 on: June 06, 2008, 06:09:19 PM »

Thanks for the links, madupont.  The Warner piece was pretty interesting, though I wouldn't necessarily agree that the two things are related. But then, what the hell do I know, anyway?

Speaking of S/C, this morning I was flipping channels and parked on ABC to answer the phone. (jbottle, I'll get your sister's People magazine back to her real soon -- promise.)  Sarah Jessica Parker was on, pushing the flick, and she said that according to exit polls or market data or something, women who had gone to see Sex and the City hadn't been to see a movie in two months. (Her emphasis on "two months.")  At which point I called bull---t on her observation, because nobody's (my emphasis) been to the movies in the two months before the big May releases.  From February-April is the box office graveyard potter's field, and nobody goes to see the movies released during that period except maybe the cast and crew's families.  I mean, I'm all for rah-rah women, yay girls, let's go -- but the cheerleading in this case sounded so weak, I couldn't let it go unremarked upon.

That being said, it's Adam Sandler versus the women this week.  Or Jack Black, animated versus the women. I think Sandler will prevail, even if some guy is suing him because he stole the story or something like that.  But again, what the hell do I know?
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4344 on: June 06, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »

Emotie Politics

Yeah, that fourth emotie from the left is a definite Mickey Rooney.Huh

That’s interesting.

I’m not trying to be a PC (Politically Correct) Queen, but c’mon Bart—aren’t you & Jbottle projecting a little bit?

Think about it.

Grin

I said that it’s racist to take an emotie like that & do a Mickey Rooney trip with it.

Of course you can do anything you want with an emotie. You know, like Gertrude Stein: a rose is a rose is a rose.

But honestly it says a lot about a person when you & Jbottle say it & laugh about it.

Sure, you could just as well be jesting. You know, like with the “douchebag” dish.

BTW is there an emotie for a “douchebag”?

Harrie posted the Mickey Rooney pic below. Is that what you & Jbottle are jesting about?

Isn’t that kinda racist to see that & project it & laugh about it? Hmmmm?

Of course, I’m just jesting. Right?

The sad part being that it's based on a real-life horrifically unfortunate casting choice....

(Mickey Rooney playing the irate Asian neighbor in Breakfast at Tiffany's)

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:07:08 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4345 on: June 06, 2008, 08:06:46 PM »

Emotie Politics

Pug,

my erasure-comment posting was entirely in jest. 

If your little emoticon joke was just in jest... WHY erase it?

If you're being satirical... why be ashamed of it?

Why not leave it up for others to laugh about?

Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:48:53 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4346 on: June 06, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »

For what it's worth, I thought they were mocking the bad casting/stereotype, not the race.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4347 on: June 06, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »

Oh, you mean like this:

Bart: I had poster earlier that the emoticon is a slippery slope and when all 16 of the
emotions are all there including Mickey Rooney as a Chinaman:

Grin

...you have to respect, the uh, many colours [sic] of the human emotional,
uh, pallette… [sic]

Respek. [sic]

How do you interpret this, Harrie?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4348 on: June 06, 2008, 10:24:10 PM »

HARRIE,re:#4343

"The Warner piece was pretty interesting, though I wouldn't necessarily agree that the two things are related"

I know. As I read down the presentation  "of her thesis", I kept thinking what has this gal been reading? Surely not Melba's place! Which like so many other blogs and forums, some with official  carrier provision discrimination no matter how often it was pointed out to these sponsors, was an equal opportunity revelling in racism ,which Judith seemed oblivious too,as well as sexism. (I'm not saying that everybody did it during this campaign, either; but across the media it was out there full-blast).

With that, I even tried to post to her, not having hit the bottom rung as yet where it clearly said "Closed" after enough posting responses to manage one for every day of the year,  accomplished overnight! What I wrote was an appeal since she brought it up herself that had she ever noticed Leonard Woolf's take on British racism which his wife, Virginia, did not appear to suffer from? I brought it up because I was appalled by the avoidance of any consciousness  in one particular UK venue and I finally gave up trying to warn them that they would later, find that they had been barking up the wrong tree, after the fact.

In any case, our compaign forum was rife with it and, as far as I have gone in reading her blog's responses, I have yet to hear one poster mention the "sexism" directed --not at Hillary, but at Michelle Obama.   One guy started right in from day one and could not be disuaded. He is no longer with us, as he himself insisted on what a good idea it would be to have a moderator who was at least friendly toward him without leaning over backwards to be objective.

No sooner was he resigned to losing that round, then another frequent visitor took over with the  " party line" that we were all tin-hatted "Liberals" who could not discern which end was up and that gave him the right to spam right on. At that I put him on ignore. Everybody knew it. But his condescending position was not cool for political discussion and by now I've had five years exposure to it so it bores me and is useless to answer. He too was heavy on sex and race discrimination before I tuned him out.

Which by the way, Warner herself seem unaware that Hillary had ever resorted to any of that herself, the later --which is really being unconscious

A couple of posters to her blog made some good points:

"How is it possible that the group of men we expect to be most sexist are the ones who, according to the media, are part of her base?"(Hillary's)

Another, female, sounded like a friend of mine who spends time in Italy:
"(her campaign)... helped me understand in a much more concrete way that sexism, like racism, is a discourse that can be willingly adopted by its own victims. Unlike racism, however, sexism is to an extent still acceptable, and this has a lot to do with recent feminist or postfeminist positions, of which Sex and the City is a vulgarization. "

Now, I have to admit, I got all this until the second sentence,after the second comma, where she said "this has a lot to do with recent feminist or postfeminist positions,of which Sex and the City is a vulgarization.", where she lost me!

If anyone would care to explain, this lapse on my part, to me, I'm all ears?

(I gave up the tv series,after never having been a big fan, when it stopped with Sarah Jessica Parker gloriously in Paris, and Mr.Big destined to devolve from romance back to a Detective position where I think he began?)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4349 on: June 06, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »

Thank you, puge, but I choose to decline the bait.

Donotremove put it very eloquently in another forum, and I pretty much agree with his assessment.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 11:22:04 PM by harrie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: