Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 02:43:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40596 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4380 on: June 11, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »

The Station Agent is a film of surprising stature, in an era when the film industry is downsizing due to its shortsighted focus on the bottom line.  On the whole, the talent of its male lead dwarfed that of most A-list actors, a man clearly at the height of his career who should not get lost in the crowd of larger-than-life characters.  I could joke about this, but it would be beneath me.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4381 on: June 11, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »

barton.  I thought you were bigger than that.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4382 on: June 12, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »

After I passed posting #1500, I seemed to lose touch with all the little people who helped me to get there. 

PBS ran the docu based on "Guns Germs and Steel" last night (here in tornado-ville, anyway -- the PBS channel was the only one which hadn't abandoned regular programming in favor of endless weather bulletins on the wet and windy demise of our fair state....I remember when June used to be fairly pleasant in these parts.....) -- it profiles Jared Diamond and his theories about what geographic circumstances give rise to tech civilizations -- lucid and compelling stuff, obviously not as in depth as the book, but still worth watching. 

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4383 on: June 12, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »

Barton:  Randy Newman thinks your shot at little people was over the top.   Of almost all of them.

Caveat:  I am a known anti-personal trainer, accused homophobe, but mainly I think it's amusing to make "steroid jokes," and think that "roid rage" humor doesn't make me "anti-personal trainer," but some disagreed.  I've also been told that I'm not to contact Debra Winger by phone nor mail nor computer neither, and to circumnavigate her physical being by a hundred yards but my lawyer says 300 to be on the safe side.  Hell I tried to join the Arliss Howard fan club and they made shit out of that, but my lawyer said put your mind on other things and cash your martinizing checks, and shit he was probably right.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:04:16 PM by jbottle » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4384 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »

Even members of the Arliss Howard Fan Club are occasionally, like early in the morning, "uhhh, wait, who's Arliss Howard again?" 

Did anyone see Strangers or whatever the summer horror flick is called?   Sometimes I want to just dismiss Liv Tyler as an actress, but maybe she deserves another chance.   

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4385 on: June 12, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4386 on: June 12, 2008, 01:37:57 PM »

Even members of the Arliss Howard Fan Club are occasionally, like early in the morning, "uhhh, wait, who's Arliss Howard again?" 

Did anyone see Strangers or whatever the summer horror flick is called?   Sometimes I want to just dismiss Liv Tyler as an actress, but maybe she deserves another chance.   

First things first:  There's an Arliss Howard Fan Club?  Because I need to join. 

I read something the other day that despite some of the press, The Incredible Hulk isn't that bad after all (in some writers' opinions, caveat right back atcha).  So if I had a Liv Tyler addiction to feed, I might go there for the fix.  My feeling is, it's Ed Norton, how bad could it be?  And then I think of Death to Smoochy.   But still.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4387 on: June 12, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »

And then I think of Death to Smoochy.   But still.

Underrated Movies:

Death To Smoochy
Captain Ron
Exorcist III
The Chronicles of Riddick
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4388 on: June 12, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »

Underrated Movies:

Death To Smoochy
Captain Ron
Exorcist III
The Chronicles of Riddick

You're right, of course.  I was just looking for a quick punch line.  So....

I read something the other day that despite some of the press, The Incredible Hulk isn't that bad after all (in some writers' opinions, caveat right back atcha).  So if I had a Liv Tyler addiction to feed, I might go there for the fix.  My feeling is, it's Ed Norton, how bad could it be?  And then I think of Death to Smoochy Kingdom of Heaven*.   But still.

*Arguably, Kingdom of Heaven isn't that bad. Some sources even give it 3 out of 4 stars. But it didn't live up to expectations, so I'm going with it.  Actually, Norton's been pretty good about pickig roles; he doesn't have half as many bad parts in his past as other guys his age. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4389 on: June 13, 2008, 12:14:50 AM »

Difficult to imagine that a week from now, we can discuss the hit of the summer season with Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Meanwhile, I'm a little, "Derailed" and unsure whether I like it or don't.

For a person who never liked Jennifer Aniston, I found it bearable to watch, mainly because her character was done by the writer originally and there was no connection between what she was doing on screen and the twist that comes at the end of the film.

Nontheless, this is a Weinstein contribution even if they are at the end of the production list; so, they must have seen something worthwhile in this story, possibly that there was no likelihood that it wouldn't bring in some kind of money.

By comparison to all this Clive Owen becomes likeable, because he is a victim.  I know it is a stretch to imagine that Clive Owen could ever be  a victim of Jennifer Aniston but those are the breaks and this is the eventual premise. Otherwise why would Vincent Cassel get first billing in the credits rather than Clive Owen?

I have given you no reason to be curious to see this movie at all, if you didn't go through that already.

There are several good reasons. Giancarlo Esposito as an astutely perceptive detective which is what detectives are supposed to be.

The moment in the scene, when Owen and RZA go off to right wrongs, when you know that RZA is about  to take it.

And  the most important reason of all, so you know the ropes.

Yes, there was a moment early in the film, when I discerned this was Chicago but, then you have a suspension of disbelief much later when the wife of Owen's character has to deliver the proverbial line that goes:"I hate this city!" (and we all know  that line belongs solely to New York). It wouldn't make any difference as to setting but it does make her sound truly insincere, for some reason; AND, we have been given a mighty big clue as the basic motivation when Clive Owen is helping his diabetic daughter with her home work after his wife has gone to work and his daughter says,"Why don't you ever kiss goodbye, anymore?".

It is on tomorrow afternoon at two p.m. on some movie channel, in case you still haven't figured out what to watch out for in real life. I suspect it is actually, bottom line, people like Vincent Cassel, speaking French to impress a woman, who knows how to  switch in and out of any character you could want, just like that, in a snap, even if someone  here
hasn't begun to catch on to that as yet.

I had never seen a performance of his until he played Nicolai Kirill in, Eastern Promises. So? He can play at least two variations of scum. I know that much. I'm just not sure why he overacts? His personality, I would have to imagine is what does that.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4390 on: June 13, 2008, 10:50:12 AM »

Also underrated:

Galaxy Quest
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4391 on: June 15, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »

Meanwhile, I'm a little, "Derailed" and unsure whether I like it or don't.

I tried to watch Derailed, and think I come down on the "don't" side. I'll admit I wasn't paying strict attention, but somewhere around the Jennifer Aniston rape scene I figured I just wasn't interested in following the story any further.  It may have had something to do with it being on Lifetime and so possibly chopped up or something, or maybe it had nothing to do with that.   I'd give it another look another day, maybe; but this time around I didn't get whooped up.  I don't know what jbottle saw in this film, to be honest.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4392 on: June 16, 2008, 01:29:38 AM »

Have finally seen, I'm not there.  (although, I once was there.)

I didn't think much of it for starters; but, it grows on you.

And you know what, Harrie? Although it seemed quaint, as an idea, it turned out that Cate was superior among equals at being Dylan, Pennebaker's Dylan.

My feelings about Heath Ledger's version was that although it is Dylan's wife and kids (made utterly believable by Charlotte Gainsbourg), one views it played through Heath Ledger's life and ideas of family/marriage; it provides an odd glimpse at what might have been had he lived longer and gone further with his career toward being perhaps as important a performer in his own genre as Dylan at his game.

I can't say much positive about the other floating ideas such as 1)  having inherited the tradition of Woody Guthrie (youthful enthusiasm?).
2) a vague Rimbaud. 3) the backwoods folk heritage that makes you feel like you walked in on a missing episode of Deadwood that guest starred Richard Gere.

There is a wonderful small glimpse, which if unrecognized at first sight could be something you don't really catch for what it implies.  It takes place when you are firmly on the English tour ala Pennebaker, and there for a moment are the Beatles off in the mid-distance romping  together --which is a scene from a Richard Lester film.  In this mythical version, his peculiar camera work is I think actually enacted by the players, although I may be wrong, what do I know technically? And it is, if you have seen it, such a joyful appealing condition to be in that Cate's Dylan, immediately attracted, joins in until, called away to the responsibilities of tour clearly demonstrates the difference between two very different career paths.  Dylan is alone, no matter how  many black-haired Julianne Moore-Alice Fabian=Joan Baez/Claire{life-mate} and friends or addicted party queens are strewn through the landscape of his vocation. The Beatles have each other; at least some of the time, if not all of the time.

The worst comparison role, in whom you play in life, is like a  New York joke, "One Jew is talking to another...". in which Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky ride by on a scooter  of sorts and  the poet converses with the the other poet in his black  conveyance, in a parallel ride exchanging thoughts and answers.

It could just have well been left out as an un-necessary extra but they were contemporaries and someone must have thought a comparison was necessary that would indicate some common bond that they shared.

Yes, the overall effect accumulatively ended with a notion that I liked it for results; but, I will be satisfied if it comes along only now and then to my tv screen every few years or so, and sometimes I will watch it to look at it again and maybe catch something else, and some nights the idea will bore me. Yet you know, there is ever so much satisfaction for a poet to observe at least twice in this film that I was not wrong about technique and for that particular age in the Sixities we wrote with a typewriter because it is a rhythmic instrument.

And I almost forgot to mention but this certainly was a great opportunity to once more hear the distinctive voice of Richie Havens.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:34:38 AM by madupont » Logged
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4393 on: June 16, 2008, 03:36:53 AM »

Yes, the overall effect accumulatively ended with a notion that I liked it for results; but, I will be satisfied if it comes along only now and then to my tv screen every few years or so, and sometimes I will watch it to look at it again and maybe catch something else, and some nights the idea will bore me. Yet you know, there is ever so much satisfaction for a poet to observe at least twice in this film that I was not wrong about technique and for that particular age in the Sixities we wrote with a typewriter because it is a rhythmic instrument.

Yes, you were right. Thank you...   Cool

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4394 on: June 17, 2008, 09:42:51 AM »

The STAPLES near me has a new thing -- might be new to me but not others, since in some respects I'm on the fringe of the boondocks -- non-returnable DVD rentals.  For $4.99, you buy thie DVD. Once you open it, it's good for two days, then it goes bad or something and you pitch it.  Not the most environmentally conscious method, I must admit.  They had There Will Be Blood, Kite Runner and other semi-recent titles; but if they'd had No Country for Old Men I'd have bought one for sure.   Will have to keep an eye on that display....
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: