Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 03:35:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33714 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4395 on: June 17, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »

I was in a Target the other day, looking for sneakers (note:  Target sucks in the shoe dept.), and noticed some of the older DVD titles were marked down to $5 -- IOW you could buy them as cheap as rental. 

Curious as to what sort of stuff on the plastic disk will go bad in two days.  DVDs are not biodegradable, so I wonder if it's some code that tells the player to stop reading the data after two days.  I'm sure some smart 12 year old will figure out how to override that.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4396 on: June 17, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »

I was in a Target the other day, looking for sneakers (note:  Target sucks in the shoe dept.), and noticed some of the older DVD titles were marked down to $5 -- IOW you could buy them as cheap as rental. 

Yeah, I know those bins well -- the Stop & Shop does the same thing sometimes; I've bought some really rank movies for a buck that way.  I was just surprised at STAPLES  1) having movies available; and 2) having semi-current  releases available.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4397 on: June 18, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »

"Hulk" had a nice weekend, wish I had bought some Marvel Entertainment in Jan/Feb but I didn't see the whole Marvel Universe thing coming, wonder if it will have "legs," the way the Ang Lee version notoriously did not, that whole precipitous fall thing, etc.  But anyway, I missed the move in MVL.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4398 on: June 18, 2008, 04:33:40 PM »

I liked "The Incredible Hulk", a lot more than I did "Iron Man".   It was funny, and I liked how all the exposition re: how he became the Hulk is done during the opening credits, so that when the movie proper starts, Ed Norton is already on the run and the story is already in motion.

The fight scene at the end with the juiced-up Tim Roth is way too long and boring, but the first hour held my interest.  If you can make it through the grand-finale (endless) fight scene, the 2 minutes of postscript (or denouement) or whatever is great.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4399 on: June 18, 2008, 06:21:42 PM »

I screwed up big time today and didn't realize they had some non-dinosaurs at Celebrity Day for the golf tournament.  Should have called in sick -- Luke Wilson is one of the non-dinosaurs, plus Joe Pesci and some others were there.  (jbottle could have come up and hassled Bill Belichick (sp?) in person.) 

But I did see Hairspray, the musical.  Though I love the John Waters version and still prefer it, the musical wasn't all that bad.  It got a little hokey toward the end, but that happens; and especially since this was a film of the musical play, I kind of expected stuff that wasn't in the original.  I've never liked Michelle Pfeiffer much, but she was campily evil and hit the right notes, IMO (character notes, though she did sing, too); and John Travolta wasn't half as unbearable as I expected. It was kinda fun in a totally surprising way. But I still wish I'd played hookey.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4400 on: June 19, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »

Anyone watch the AFI Ten Top Ten the other night?  As usual, some rankings mystified -- like "The Seachers" number one in westerns over films like High Noon or Unforgiven.  On the whole, though, it did present a list of 100 films you probably should see if you're into the whole film thing.  Also puzzled by Planet of the Apes missing from the SF list, Thin Red Line missing from the war movie list, Dr. Zhivago from the epics, and a couple others.  But we're talking about lists of 10 per category, so you have lots of ties I'm sure, where one has to be dumped.   

Hairspray -- "musical wasn't all that bad" -- my impression, too.  It was fun, and Chris Walken dances. 

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4401 on: June 19, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »

I don't know, but Dr. Zhivago has to go down as one of the worst adaptations of a great novel of all time.  The movie is absolutely painful to watch.  But, I agree about The Searchers, it is good, but not so good as to be ranked above movies like The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Dead Man and The Unforgiven.  But then I have a preference for revisionist Westerns.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:32:38 AM by Dzimas » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4402 on: June 19, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »

Gotta ask....Do you mean The Unforgiven, starring Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn and Audie Murphy, or Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven?   I've seen The Unforgiven, and it's not all that great, IMHO of course.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4403 on: June 19, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »

Okay, I looked and it's Unforgiven, so never mind.   

But I have a hard time feeling the love for The Searchers -- most of the film is spent with Wayne planning to kill Natalie Wood since she's been ruined by them savages (the movie's point of view, not mine).   Granted, I've only seen it once, so maybe I'm missing an ironic subtext or something.  With this ranking, I'm sure it will show up soon, so maybe I'll give it another look. At least it'll be pretty, some of those shots are amazing, IIRC. 

I agree with a bunch of the AFI choices, but some I could do without.  In romantic comedies, I'd pull Moonstruck - I think I'm the only person who really hates that film -- and substitute The Apartment, or even Sabrina, or one of a handful of '30-'40s flicks (Barbara Stanwyck, anyone?  His Girl Friday?  The Thin Man?).  And I might substitute Desk Set for Adam's Rib.

I'm not big on the sci-fi, but I'd pick The Terminator over T2, but that's just me.  And compared to the other epics, I don't see Schindler's List as one -- I like the movie, but I think of epics as big, sweeping, larger than life productions.  Agree that Dr. Zhivago isn't the greatest movie when judged on pacing alone, but it puts me in full swoon pretty quickly so it does something right. IMO of course.  And that music .... I'm headed for a swoon just thinking about it.

And unless I missed it somewhere, Mr. Roberts didn't make any lists. What's that about?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4404 on: June 19, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »

I have no problem with Moonstruck,"What? You don't like Olympia Dukakis?". I was just speaking of her yesterday.  But, I find it full of beloved cliches in Italian families which have to make it worthwhile to have Italian friends.

On the other hand, the only reason Schindler's List is "epic", was the way that Spielberg does it in "time" as a substitute for --beg your pardon,
"Lebensraum". Not to be missed for the Raf Fiennes display of his belly and suspenders on a balcony overlooking his little camp, just the beginning of his emotional confrontations with his inner self. Being forced to give up his real emotional depth and attachment because of the propaganda line that some of us are subhumans(but which ones?)--sort of like our new Homeland USA.

(anyway, as I've said before, the clothes, particularly the wardrobe of Oscar Schindler, takes me back to my childhood, as the epitome of the "bespoke suit", not to mention that the child my age running through the streets in her little red coat, amidst a black and white film, instantly reduced me to tears)

anyway, just a second, I dropped in here, about something else....
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4405 on: June 19, 2008, 01:00:17 PM »

It is this. I was having an anticipation attack, apparently. Because I thought Heath Ledger would be here this week! Now, I learn(and recall),that it is not until next month! Here's the latest:

Bale: 'The Joker didn't kill Ledger'
Sunday, June 15 2008, 17:39 BST

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Rex Features

Christian Bale has called rumours that Heath Ledger's role as The Joker contributed to his death "ridiculous".

Ledger, who died from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs in January, was urged to seek help by crew on The Dark Knight after he reportedly became too involved in his character.

Bale rubbished the speculation in an interview with Total Film, saying: "It's not for me to tell anybody or to pretend to have insights beyond what I absolutely know, but my instincts are that the idea Heath was disturbed by playing The Joker is ridiculous.

"Heath was somebody who, like myself, acted for that immersion in a character. It's not an unusual thing.

"And from working with him and knowing him, I don't think that was unusual for him at all."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a100249/bale-the-joker-didnt-kill-ledger.html?imdb

Ps, by the way: Bale's Dylan was one of the weaker segments of: I'm not there.... While Ledger was the heaviest, I've ever seen him, both physically and acting-wise.

But Bale's characterization was to manifest that lighter confused more than whimsical side, a kind of negative Dylan, which Blanchett covered anyway at much fuller length where you understood that Bob Dylan was sarcastic for the hell of it because he could be.

The Christopher Bale segment, although interesting in terms of how the adult public of sophisticates perceived Bob Dylan with curiosity while remaining open to indulging themselves in outright disdain,too often kept you confused as he was, at what was happening Mr.Jones? And, if you were watching this decades since your last joint,you recognized the "situation" and were glad that Bale was put out of his misery by rapidly going off camera almost entirely for the remainder of a long experiment in film biography.

Ps. To play this part, Heath Ledger obviously had to indulge in gaining weight sufficient to look like an adult rather than just another frail boy trying to approach the unrivaled emaciation of Cate Blanchett. The reason for this becomes obvious, the longer you watch his performance. He is playing the "Heaviest" part of Dylan's creative success story.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4406 on: June 19, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

I had to wonder about "Moonstruck" too.  I mean, it's okay, but Top Ten?

As for Zhivago, I have no idea what kind of adaptation it is because I, like most people who watched it, hadn't read the novel.  I saw it a couple times, in my late teens and then early 20s, so I'm not sure I'd be as impressed by it now.  I've never met anyone who found it "painful to watch" -- indeed, in terms of something you watch, something you look at on a big screen, it seems pretty painless. 

SF fans tend to prefer Terminator  II, and the AFI seems to have gone with that, but you always have to acknowledge the film that supplies the originating concept.  I just think the character arcs were more interesting in T2 and the SF themes were better developed in the second one.

Nothing from Terry Gilliam -- sigh.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4407 on: June 19, 2008, 08:55:43 PM »

Oh, you will like this one, Barton: Dylan Thomas, plus Keira Knightley

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/43056,arts,film-review-the-edge-of-love-teeth-the-escapist-and-couscous
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4408 on: June 19, 2008, 09:37:46 PM »

I meant the Eastwood movie, harrie.  I suppose if you rate the old Westerns (pre-1960) among themselves, The Searchers would have to rank up there for no other reason than its gorgeous cinematography.  I agree the story was no great shakes, but Wayne was cast against character, and there were some interesting plot twists.  But, then so was Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West, which is a far superior movie, and I don't think it even made the list.

I couldn't stand Zhivago, then or now, so I really don't see the fascination in it.  I think American and British directors should leave the Russian novels to Russian directors.  They simply don't get them.  Perhaps the worst adaptation was the British attempt at Eugene Onegin.  Truly awful!

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200803/r235601_947690.jpg

Anyway, one could tear apart most any list.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4409 on: June 19, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »

And speaking of, dzimas, I love My Name is Nobody.  Even if the hubby shudders when I find it while flipping.  I truly enjoy MNiN, though, and consider it a love letter of sorts to the western -- Leone's (defacto) tribute to everything wild about the (or "our") west.   The movie itself is nowhere near Top 10 list material, but nonetheless ann enjoyable ride.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: