Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 06:44:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40818 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4410 on: June 20, 2008, 05:10:36 AM »

My Name is Nobody is a gem, harrie.  Terrence Hill in his signature role.  I think they did some sequels to it, but they lost the charm of the first effort.  I have to agree with others on the list, such as Butch and Sundance and McCabe and Mrs. Miller.  They gave the West a wonderfully human quality.  Saw McCabe again not so long ago.  It was fun just to listen to the Leonard Cohen pieces.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:55:39 AM by Dzimas » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4411 on: June 20, 2008, 09:33:07 AM »

Madupont, thanks for alerting me to the upcoming Keira Knightley (reigning Queen of super-cuteness) vehicle -- it appears that the film about Dylan Thomas is primarily about the poet's girlfriends, so I guess we don't see lots of him sitting at a desk boozing, chewing on pencils, and muttering passages of "Child's Xmas in Wales" or "Do Not Go Gentle."   What a pity.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4412 on: June 20, 2008, 11:09:44 AM »

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/40383,features,naples-gang-film-entrances-italy

TRY THIS for size and see how it compares with AMERICAN made(excuse the expression) films about ITALIAN gangs in AMERICA.  You may begin to understand from a film made like this, some of the scenes you saw in the SOPRANOS when the boys took a trip to NAPLES; OR,why, in the Sopranos there were territorial fights, not so much because of a family cutting into a territory but rather often because a family was continuing a business in the US which is frowned upon by a higher authority that wants a more legit social standing.

That means, why does New York garbage end up in a landfill in Pennsyvlania(many mountains created by landfill) if it were not for a deal made by a guy in New York and a guy in Philadelphia. This can end up with a notorious Philadelphia figure who is short and weasly now slumped over his steering wheel with much of the window glass shattered by an appropriate shot to the head.  Or a guy in New York dead on the sidewalk out of Sparks cafe.   All because the Camorra in Naples differs from the principles of the Mafia in Sicily. This film is what it is like to have a mountain of garbage on the streets of a dramatic once paradisical city on the seacoast of the mezzogiorno; and try to grow up there. I watched that mode of garbage disposal through contractors as it took place in New Jersey when I lived in an interesting location off the Metedeconk. Now I live in Pennsylvania where the mob got to the Republican politicians ages ago who have ever since been giving us all the joys of living in Wilmington,Delaware. Pennsylvania has better murder cases involving Italian politicians, rabbis,and former German-American Hippies now retired to France than anywhere else in the US.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4413 on: June 20, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »

Mike Myers has officially become "Pluto Nash," if only this one tanks the way it should but I know it won't:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080619/REVIEWS/826592907

I'd like to think that even the 14-35 yr. old adolescent males that the movie aspires to attract would rather see "Get Smart" or "Mongol," because they should know before they go now that it sucks by way of computer-saavy, whereas before, high-school and college kids don't automatically pick up the paper and see by way of review what might be the better fare for the weekend, but nobody ever made a dime over-estimating the intelligence of the American consumer, or however it goes.

It may come down to a battle between girls who like Anne Hathaway and girls who like Justin Timberlake, whose appearance in the trailer is the only remotely funny costume/gag.  I think he's a believably genial and funny guy, and will be in good movies one day, likely to be the next Mark Wahlberg if he can somehow get THAT PART.  I just mean that he's the only guy who you can see making the transition to acting the way that say, Madonna and a long list can't do because they can't ACT.

"Get Smart" will be a smash, I think, because it is not only getting rave reviews, but the series has a built-in audience of our large boomer population, and unlike "Dan in Real Life" or the CGI-laden Ark one (which did OK, BTW, as a movie, but maybe not as a financial proposition when you spend that much on fake animals...) GS is a KNOWN THING, but again, maybe not among the "kids."  

DEVIL'S ADVOCATE:  PLEASE SEE (not "see," but "I ask you to look at the performance of...), trust me) "Wild Wild West."

I'm going to say GS $38.438M

Guru (not Gitesh Pandya, who may "love" the BO chances):  I know I'm wrong but I'm going to say $24.653M, in hope that this is more "Pluto Nash" than "Austin Powers."

Because there will be a sequel if it does 50 on the way to 100.

Mongol:  I don't munch numbers, but I think it's a slowly-roller with fewer theaters to see if there is buzz, but with no stars I guess we could be talking "300" or that other rule of 2's with 300 that I forget right now, and blow it out because it's the only ACTION MOVIE out there for the bloodlust teen (I used to be one...), so, $17.493M
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:32:06 AM by jbottle » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4414 on: June 20, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

Weird:  The Guru said 38 and 23, so our estimates track almost identically but I essentially took the over by adding digits to my 38 and saying 24-something.

Promise I didn't look beforehand, and hope that my reputation for honesty, integrity, and fair but tough movie-evaluation will not leave any hint of moral equivocation, especially when it comes to my life's work, other than collecting a martinizing check, the lost art of wetted-finger to the air prognostication, adjudging by instinct and intuition the pop-whimsy of the American moviegoer with unbridled enthusiasm and a bounless reservoir of "can-do spirit."  By loving too much have I suffered greatly?  At times.  Has it mostly been a tale of joy and a series of grand redemptions?  Sure.  There were times that I looked hard in the mirror at myself with loathing and sadness:  "You call yourself a progger?  You haven't placed an ass in a seat in months...," after moments of sheer hopelessness following following the profound professional calamity of my numbers on "Hollywood Homicide" and "Scooby Doo," most notably. 

Yet there are times when I've split the bullseye arrow, and those are the numbers that have come to me from the ether despite the fact that nobody knows anything.  When you know that, however, the journey has only just begun.

Godspeed, for I am, as always, your humble servant,

jbottle
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:57:54 AM by jbottle » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4415 on: June 20, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9B91F47388617627
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4416 on: June 20, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »

PLEASE SEE (not "see," but "I ask you to look at the performance of...), trust me) "Wild Wild West."

I wonder if Barry Sonnenfeld sees commercials for "Hancock" and wonders, "Why didn't they call me for that one?"
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4417 on: June 20, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »

Because there will be a sequel if it does 50 on the way to 100.

Please, no!!  Mike Myers has become, just, the worst, etc.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4418 on: June 20, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »

Hancock predicted spoilers:

DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR WHAT I THINK THE JOKE IS...

...from what Jason Bateman and Letterman were bantering about is that Hancock is a homeless drug-addict or drunk who ends up with superhero powers...

So you figure that it's all in his head, or we're in "Vanilla Sky" territory, or something, they make it look like a SUPERHERO MOVIE but it's maybe about coming out of addiction or has some sort of HIGH CONCEPT, whereas we are supposed to go in thinking "Will Smith is playing an ATYPICAL SUPERHERO," or a TRUE BROTHER SUPERHERO PLEASE SEE DENNIS RODMAN FOR INSPIRATION.

But I can't tell what it's about but I bet it's the dumbest thing ever, no matter what the TWIST.

Oh and can someone SPOIL ALERT

spoil

"The Happening" for me.

I have no inclination to see it and want to know how bad the joke is.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4419 on: June 20, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »

I was thinking "what else has this guy Peter Berg done??" and totally forgot about actor/director Peter Berg who I've liked on screen and who is an obviously talented director.  So anyway, I don't wish him any career missteps and this one is likely to be a big hit and I hope he made a good movie--it just looks like it's going to be "Vanilla Sky" or whatever and I'm very scared that it may be the CRINGER OF THE SUMMER.   

Again, I hope not, for Peter Berg's sake, but I just can't figure out how it could be a good movie.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4420 on: June 20, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »

http://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/email/index.htm
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4421 on: June 21, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »

Maddy, I noticed The Red Balloon and White Mane as part of the retrospective.  I recently bought those on Criterion to share with our youngest daughter.  Also picked up Truffaut's The Adventures of Antoine Doinel, starting with 400 Blows.  Great films!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4422 on: June 21, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »

There's one,I have to check for  you because I've forgotten the title -- something about Having a Window on Paris and a Russian tourist who used this method of traveling there. Best I've seen yet but I think it may have been six years ago, or before i lost my wonderful Home Film Fest which I believe was bought out. They served us buffs located in the sticks by mail and you just put your films back in the box with the tape and the address sticker provided, after you put check in the box of course. I did this for five years on a farm among my Amish,Mennonite, and African-American neighbors.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4423 on: June 21, 2008, 01:40:44 PM »

jbottle,

Anybody seen Lemon Sky with Kevin Bacon?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4424 on: June 21, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »

Window to Paris
Okno v Parizh

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110719/
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: