Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 20, 2018, 11:55:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53038 times)
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »

Well, now, the last 20 years takes us back to 1987....  So with:

1. D
2. DLoV
3. B
4. W
5. R

we could easily make the case for Krysztof Kieslowski being "The Man" except for the being dead bit.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »

I can't help but notice that there's no H on that list.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2007, 10:00:37 AM »

Saw two films this week, POTC3 and "Garden State" -- neither deserves further mention.   Looking forward to Mr. Brooks, bad reviews notwithstanding.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2007, 10:01:36 AM »

But I guess that would be because he just wrote it and did not direct.  Due to the being dead thing and all that.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2007, 10:02:43 AM »

Well, he wrote H - and E - but ran into unfortunate roadblocks in his attempts to direct.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »

And I watched The Fortune Cookie for the first time in a long time (thank you again Donotremove for cluing me in about how to use the OnDemand feature), but my reaction was "eh."  Which is strange, because I usually heart Billy Wilder flicks.  I think my main gripe is that the family was characterized so broadly, as such caricatures, that they created a distraction rather than a comedic effect.  Or maybe I'm just a bite in the ass.  Loved Jack Lemmon, though, and the ending; although I wanted to smack Lemmon upside the head and say "Finally!!" a couple of times.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »

we could easily make the case for Krysztof Kieslowski being "The Man" except for the being dead bit.

I remember I liked one of the "three colors" movies a lot ("White", maybe?), but the others I only saw once.   KK is surely way up there on my "should watch/re-watch but have not yet" list, so unfortunately, at the moment, I can't play the top-3-last-20 game with him.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2007, 10:22:30 AM »

I love TFC, but then there's something about any movie set in what Randy Newman called the City of Lights, City of Magic, that appealed to me.  And of course Matthou's sleazy lawyer-in-law was great, even if too broad.  But it has been years since I saw it.

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2007, 10:23:17 AM »

Well, now, the last 20 years takes us back to 1987....  So with:

1. D
2. DLoV
3. B
4. W
5. R

Is there any volume of work that compares?
Someone tell me if there is...

Don't dance on a volcano...
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2007, 10:34:43 AM »

Kieslowski had a hell of a run of movies up to his death.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a five or six consecutive string of movies like that, even from Wilder, who is my favorite director ever.  He had Love in the Afternoon, Spirit of St. Louis and Sabrina in between his SB, AitH, S17, SYI, WftP, SLiH, and A streak.  (Note: before Sunset, Wilder had directed A Foreign Affair, which had as its tag line: "It would make a cigar store Indian laugh ..."  Some of you may find that coming in handy.)

Hitchcock, maybe.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »

Is there any volume of work that compares?
Someone tell me if there is...

I'd submit the Coen Brothers, in order of my personal preference:

Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona

I like their other movies, too, and from what I've read, the upcoming "No Country For Old Men" is a real hum-dinger.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2007, 10:52:20 AM »

But HP kind of interrupts the CB's string, as does - for me - RA.  But the CB's did have an impressive string of movies, until recently.  I rate them:

F
BS
BF
OBWAT
MC

I've yet to see TBL in its entirety.  And I am as excited for NCFOM as I have been to see a film in quite a while.

BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2007, 10:55:25 AM »

They are apparently singing hosannas to NCfOM at Cannes.   Looking forward to it.

Both Hitchcock and Huston had some pretty amazing strings of films.  David Lynch, too -- though I know some feel Lost Highway was a misfire.  I'm more inclined to view Elephant Man as the odd movie of the bunch, but I really like everything he's done.  Though Straight Story, charming as it is, falls short of greatness for me.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2007, 11:14:48 AM »

Technically, there are quite a few other letters of the alphabet missing also...

It's interesting to read these posts.  I know some of you only from the old college football forum and so its interesting to see another side of you all.

oh and unny, I never really thought of Ungforgiven as a great movie, to be compared with all time classics.  I alwasys just thought of it as a great Western.   In my mind, that movie not only established Clint Eastwood as a serious director, but it brought the Western back.

So what are everyone's top 5 Westerns of all time?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »

I'm going to have to think about that myself.

One that I put up there now (and always get a lot of flak about) is Open Range with Kevin Costner and Bob Duvall.

Kevin Costner had a little trouble pulling of the Eastwood-esque lead role, but not enough to distract me.

During one early scene where they are stuck in the rain, it occured to me how they are one of the first Westerns to really show a non-romanticized portrayal of the cattle drive--at times long and boring--very much like life...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: