Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 04:44:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33200 times)
chauncey.g

« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »

and the female lead was the woman from Taxi, right?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2007, 12:00:23 PM »

My memory is not perfect and it's been many years since seeing the film, but the scene you're refering to went something like follows

When facing each other in a showdown gun fight...

Patrick Wayne Character:  "Everybody knows you need to be a confident heterosexual to be a good guy"

Tom Beringer Character: "confident Heterosexual?   I thought it was just heterosexual."

PW:  "No...it's confident"

TB:  "I didn't know that.  You know, I just thought of an appointment that I need to take care of. Maybe we can do this tomorrow or later in the week..."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2007, 12:02:53 PM »

Marilu Henner ... yes.

who needs memory?  Here is the IDMb site and a few selcted quotes...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089945/

Rex O'Herlihan: This is 1884. You've gotta date and date and date and date and sometimes marry 'em even before... you know...
Peter: Now, wait a minute. Are you tellin' me you've never...?
Rex O'Herlihan: Never.
Peter: My god, Rex. You ARE a good guy.

beginning of that same showdown scene...

Bob Barber: Ever faced another good guy before?
Rex O'Herlihan: Nope.
Bob Barber: Me neither.
Rex O'Herlihan: Kinda makes you wonder what'll happen.
Bob Barber: I figure the good guy'll win, just like always.
Rex O'Herlihan: Yeah, except we're both good guys.
Bob Barber: Then I figure the most good good guy will win.
Rex O'Herlihan: That's how I figure, too.
Bob Barber: Yep.

chauncey.g

« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »

(chuckle)

thanks. must rent it soon.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2007, 01:30:30 PM »

"Dances With Wolves" isn't a Western.

Oil, I hadn't thought of BF when I last posted which is certainly great and on the same list of great film by the greatest American directors over the last 20 yrs., and when I said that "talent and temperment are uneasy bedfellows whey you start taling money..." I meant not the money that the directors or their films made, but only that Clint and DePalma seem to be happy to have been hired guns when Scorcese seemingly has more of a moral dilemma about it or an anxiety about what his body of work will look like when he's gone.  It was also easier for the Clint and Depalma to sell out and then make something interesting and then sell out again (while keeping it on some level interesting or apologetic or slyly funny and ironic, think "The Rookie" or "Space Cowboys" or  "Mission to Mars"), but anyway I just meant that I like the "sure, sounds like fun" aspect of the Clint/DePalma journey and find that Scorcese's reluctance and trouble getting things made has led to lower output and the greater risk of producing some average films that you labored over for a couple of years, rather that on to the next one.....

Westerns, off the top of my head.....

1)  The Wild Bunch
2)  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
3)  Unforgiven
4)  Stagecoach
5)  Shane
6)  The Outlaw Josey Wales
7)  High Plains Drifter

"The Man who Shot Liberty Valance," "Fistfull of Dollars," "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," "Rio Bravo," also spring to mind...

Never seen "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" or "The Searchers," and can offer no good apology for that...I know there are other westerns I'm forgetting...

While "Stagecoach" and "Shane" seem almost quaint by today's standard, the filmmaking is above reproach and both are archetypal and essential...I just love Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and despite some Western purist dismissing it as marginal great, I disagree because of where it occured during the counter-culture shift (and evolution of genre filmmaking) toward the anti-hero, and it has major movie star charm and humor, and an unmistakable melancholy, perfect pair with the more hardscrabble "The Wild Bunch" which you could compare as "Pet Sounds"/"Sgt Peppers," i.e. Brian Wilson is making one of the better rock albums of all times and is revolutionary and daring, and then Sgt. Peppers comes out.  The analogy isn't perfect, but you know there had to be that moment when George Roy Hill saw TWB and went "ahhhhhh, shit...," knowing that he still made one of the best (and certainly most beloved) westerns ever.
chauncey.g

« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2007, 01:32:33 PM »

Blazing Saddles ain't a western either. It's a friggin' musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8B3pf3mOh0
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: June 01, 2007, 01:36:46 PM »

There's lots of music in westerns at the saloons.  Destry Rides Again comes to mind, for one thing. (See what the boys in the back room will have.....)  So I think Cab Calloway et al fit in just fine.

I'll throw in CopLand (not Aaron) as a western, though it takes place in contemporary NY/NJ.  It's basically High Noon revisited.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: June 01, 2007, 01:44:50 PM »

I'll throw in CopLand (not Aaron) as a western, though it takes place in contemporary NY/NJ.  It's basically High Noon revisited.

And when James Mangold makes another movie that I like a lot, it will go along with "CopLand" and "Heavy" to propel him into my top-3-last-20 discussion.  I liked "Walk The Line", but not enough to merit top-3-last-20 consideration.

Maybe "3:10 To Yuma" will do the trick - I mean, it has Christian Bale going for it.  Unfortunately it also has the horrifically obese Russell Crowe in it, so who knows?
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: June 01, 2007, 01:45:25 PM »

Yes, Butch & Sundance...
Forgot about that....
That would be #2 ...

Don't dance on a volcano...
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: June 01, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »

There's lots of music in westerns at the saloons.  Destry Rides Again comes to mind, for one thing. (See what the boys in the back room will have.....)  So I think Cab Calloway et al fit in just fine.

Not to mention Count Basie.....

What does it matter?  All is grace.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: June 01, 2007, 01:59:48 PM »

I love Shane precisely for its age and consequent otherworldliness. Well, that and Jean Arthur.  Shane may be old-fashioned; but it reminds me of the idea that doing the right thing matters.  And I always get a chuckle out of Joey calling out "My mother misses you, Shane."   (She sure does, kid!)

And I run hot and cold with Red River - sometimes I really enjoy it, other times I just get pissed off at Tom Dunston and find something else.  

jbottle, I really enjoyed your take on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, George Roy Hill and the changing face of the Western anti-hero.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: June 01, 2007, 02:00:22 PM »

Not to mention Count Basie.....

Whoopsey!  Should have checked instead of winging it!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: June 01, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »

Harrie --what do...you mean..."See what the boys in the back room will have."? Mein schatz.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: June 01, 2007, 02:37:25 PM »

Thanks, harrie, yeah, there's some sexual tension and subtext I guess with Shane and the kid I thought says "mother wants you..." but I may be misremembering, it's pretty obvious that she is drawn to Alan Ladd, and it's kind of funny that even though he's not an imposing figure and movie star pretty boy good looking, that he pulls off being a badass as we are in the thrall of a great entertainment--that like you say, has some interesting things going on despite appearing kind of modest.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: June 01, 2007, 02:47:56 PM »

"Heaven's Gate" deserves mention for some of the standout scenes like the one you mention--but wasn't there also a wedding in HG or a big ball that was massive in scope and had to be hell to execute?  There's a lot to love about the "beautiful mess" of "Heaven's Gate," and everybody knows it was a financial disaster, but it's a damn good movie and the only knock might be from impatient viewers, it's too long for some for sure, but it's hard to knock the filmmaking, the vision, even if it is sort of hard to follow plot-wise and seems a little patched together--nobody can deny that some of what Cimino put on the screen was amazing, now I remember, the graduation of the friends at the beginning and the party/dance that follows wouldn't get made today without CGI, and that is a shame.  Cimino can always look at that and know he shoved it down their throats even if it ushered in the crap movies of the 1980's.  Cimino gets blamed like Alan Greenspan, like it was his fault that all of what followed was a result of his existence and hubris, and there's certainly an argument to be made.....but at least with Cimino at least we're talking about shadows on a wall.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: