Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 09:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33673 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: June 01, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »

Harrie --what do...you mean..."See what the boys in the back room will have."? Mein schatz.

It's what Marlene Dietrich sings in Destry Rides Again.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: June 01, 2007, 02:55:03 PM »

yeah, there's some sexual tension and subtext I guess with Shane and the kid I thought says "mother wants you..."

As already noted, my memory's on the fritz today -- your recollection sounds right to me. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: June 01, 2007, 04:51:26 PM »

"Pa's got things for you to do. And Mother wants you. I know she does!"

For the rizeckord.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: June 01, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »

"Pa's got things for you to do. And Mother wants you. I know she does!"

Say, that reminds me.  Yun-Fat was always singing the praises of "The Fatal Glass Of Beer", a WC Fields short movie from like 19-something-and-whatever, and I finally saw it recently.   You have to meet it half-way, but I found it to be worth the effort.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: June 01, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty funny, but the title is funny on it's own.  I forget the plot but I know it's a night not fit for man nor beast.  I think it must've been really big at the time, a huge thrill for people to see.  It's a short, though, right, only about 20 min.?  It's been years since I've seen it, I want to watch them all, but you have to assume that he is half in the bag all the while.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: June 01, 2007, 05:51:11 PM »

"There are three movies crammed into this one: The first is good, the second is so bad it's good, and the third is just plain bad. That's still three times the bargain most movies offer."--Ty Burr, "Boston Globe," on "Mr. Brooks"

What you said barton.

I know Judd Apatow is a smart guy, but following up T40YOV with an evidently just as funny if not funnier "Knocked Up" is a real feat.  There seems to be almost universal praise for this one, and while the Farrelly Bros. seem to have lost their way, if true, it's nice to have Apatow around to rely on because comedies are so rarely funny, but especially romantic comedies, that finally we have a guy making date movies that don't seem like a Barrymore, Aniston, Luke Wilson, Kate Hudson, etc. jumblefest where you pair a couple that hasn't been paired on screen before and viola, fun. 

I really liked T40YOV mainly for the co-workers lines, and thought the third act dragged as the romance took shape, but yeah, keep it coming 'Tow, good on you.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: June 02, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »

Harrie --what do...you mean..."See what the boys in the back room will have."? Mein schatz.

It's what Marlene Dietrich sings in Destry Rides Again.

I know, Harrie, I just think that I heard it in German; but that was when I had no idea you aren't Harry

Meanwhile, if Dzimas shows up later today, I'd really like to know if anyone remembers the title of that recent film made by Nicholas Cage, not just on gun running but the munitions business in general(?) because I want to take a look at it.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: June 02, 2007, 03:12:43 PM »

I thought "Lord Of War" was kind of silly.  Nicolas Cage sells guns in bulk to all of these ruthless killer dictators, etc., and they just say "okay, thanks for the guns, here's your $$$"...

Huh?  If they're really ruthless killer dictators, why don't they just say "thanks for the guns" and then shoot him?  Or just take the guns and shoot him without even saying thanks?
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: June 02, 2007, 03:31:40 PM »

I thought "Lord Of War" was kind of silly.  Nicolas Cage sells guns in bulk to all of these ruthless killer dictators, etc., and they just say "okay, thanks for the guns, here's your $$$"...

Huh?  If they're really ruthless killer dictators, why don't they just say "thanks for the guns" and then shoot him?  Or just take the guns and shoot him without even saying thanks?
Because no one would ever sell them another gun.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2007, 08:43:16 AM »

But these are supposedly ruthless killer dictators, not Chamber of Commerce board members.  Would they really say, "Oh, I better not shoot Nicolas Cage, it might tarnish my reputation in the Association of Ruthless Killer Dictators and Gun Dealers"?  Maybe they would, I don't know.   I'm guessing they'd instead say something like, "Instead of paying Nicolas Cage a million $, I'll just shoot Nicolas Cage, take these guns for free, and when I need more, I'll go find some other scumbag gun dealer and kill him," BHWDIK?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2007, 11:07:16 AM »

Speaking fo Chow Yun-Fat, not even he could save the big sprawling mess that was the latest Pirates movie.  Not to say it wasn't entertaining at times, but simply too many characters reduced to caricatures in an attempt to give everyone a spot in this movie.  Keith Richards almost stole the show with his memorable appearance, until he uttered a few words and the moment was lost.  I thought there might have been some grand vision, given all the interesting ideas that were tossed out in Dead Man's Chest, but World's End showed that they were simply making this stuff up as they went along.  I hope they give the theme a rest for awhile, coming back with some fresh ideas and some fresh faces.  The crew was starting to look a little stale, even after they shed their scales.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »

Dzim, I posted very similar reaction to POTC3 at another website.  What a bladder-busting ordeal.   Keith Richard was okay, but rock star cameos never do that much for me, as they mainly serve to pull me out of the movie -- and there's the little storm of whispering that crosses the audience, "Hey, that's [name]!"  Keira continues to look like the 12 year old boy's dream girl, and seems like she would blow off in a strong wind.  What I'm saying is, she looks very un-17th century, and her attempt at a Henry V rouser/speech on the deck at the end was not too convincing.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2007, 02:07:04 PM »

Yea, barton, a little too much like Milla Jovovich in Joan of Arc.  I found POTC3 highly derivative, from the "Being John Malkovich" scene in Davy Jones' Locker, to the Baron Munchausen-like battle scenes, a la Terry Gilliam.  POTC3 looked like a slapped together job, rather than a fitting climax to what were pretty decent movies before.  I have a feeling Disney put a lot of pressure on Verbinski to get this one out quickly on the heels of Dead Men's Chest, so as not to lose the thunder.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2007, 02:17:02 PM »

Oilcan, I guess there is supposed to be a certain amount of honor among thieves, but like you I find such movies incredulous to say the least.  But, speaking of ruthless dictators, curious to see The Last King of Scotland.  I missed it when it made its round at the theatres.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »

"Keith Richards almost stole the show with his memorable appearance, until he uttered a few words and the moment...dzimas re:#344....rather than a fitting climax to what were pretty decent movies before." re:#346
and re:#347  But, speaking of ruthless dictators, curious to see The Last King of Scotland.  I missed it when it made its round at the theatres."

Dzimas,

Au contraire, mon ami, I took one look at Johnny Depp at the beginning of this total nonsense for kids at Saturday matinees back when this all began and saw that part of his ensemblage was stolen from Keith Richards. Okay, so he opened his mouth and out came, what? English piratical cockney just like they still speak at the Jersey Shore? As far as pretty decent movies, other than some fancy prancing improv by Depp, which would probably make him a French pirate, which brings to mind was this part of the original plot twist or am I thinking of an entirely different pirate episode,yes, I think that I am remembering a bit of the Count of Monte Christo with Gerard Depardieu and son. Personally, I am waiting for the most recent true life adventure of the Spanish galleon that was swooped up  off the English coast from a really black-hearted knave who thinks this is the Queen against the Spanish Armada or some such, only to discover the Spanish government already has it covered legally and possibly insured. My interest continues since childhood when I sublimated a crush on Tyrone Power by instead being him and turning a good size tree as the rigging, with a deep hold cut out of the ground beneath it, for The Black Swan. Then somebody told me that pretty soon I'd have to put my shirt back on and my pirate days would soon be over.

Comcast is carrying The Last King of Scotland in my neck of the woods.  All I remember is Forest Whitaker  explaining physically in slow motion to his Actors' Studio host and audience how he got into character by watching the dancers jump up and down in a war dance, and he felt the rage, the anger, what Idi Amin was all about.

After I asked about the Nicholas Cage that I had missed( there are several), I did see one last night that  he directed, called: Sonny.  You probably know New Orleans as well as anybody, so succinctly it is about "being in the life",another round of Harry Dean Stanton, Mena Suvari doing a retake of Jodi Foster, down to exact costume when Jodi was still a child opposite Harvey Keitel as her pimp.  Only problem, Nicholas Cage could not resist staying off camera and ended up out of focus like a latter day Clay Shaw. Brenda Blethryn did the surprise turn by convincing us she was not from the UK one bit but just a good old gal as the mother of Sonny played by James Franco who looked like a young James Wood used to look when he was young.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: