Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 04:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 91
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 15657 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2007, 07:44:56 PM »

And was Naomi lying about there being a funeral for Charlie and the wreckage of 815 found.  Or did that really occur.  Was it a cover-up by Ben and the others to fake the discovery of the flight wreckage?

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2007, 08:34:30 PM »

they did not know the jet was going to crash.  There was an episode that showed the Others in their camp when the plane came down and Ben thinking on the fly about planting some of their people in along with the survisors to get names and details.

The others have contact with the outside world and seem to continue to move people and things back and forth. At least until the submarine was blown up.  But I have a feeling they can still transport back and forth although very few people may know that now.

So after they had people's names they could do their homework on them.

At least, that's my take...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2007, 08:42:46 PM »

And was Naomi lying about there being a funeral for Charlie and the wreckage of 815 found.  Or did that really occur.  Was it a cover-up by Ben and the others to fake the discovery of the flight wreckage?

Would guess that the others planted something about the "wreck" so that people would not come looking for the survivors...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »

One mystery i want to have some light shed on is how ben and the others know so much about the losties.

I took that to be one of the big questions of Lost, and therefore one with a convoluted, not too soon to be divulged resolution, as it probably ties in with the larger scheme of how/why things are done on the Island, why it exists, who's in charge (if anyone) here, etc.  I always figured the plane crash was unexpected; but judging from the organization and scope of the data (individual, thick folders containing detailed information) and how quickly it was assembled, I also thought someone with massive resources was behind the scenes.  You know, with a big IT room and a staff and everything.

Someone with that kind of money, resources, and apparent motive could probably plant false information about Flight 815 fairly easily.  (Penny's dad?  Alvar Hanso?  Someone else entirely?  I dunno.)

I'm probably sooooo wrong.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2007, 10:37:33 PM »

It's a good thing we have some time to sort these issues. Until February 2008, to be exact. Here's a Summer time waster we could have a little fun with before the Fall season begins and we start discussing those shows: Let's list every "Lost" question/riddle/dilemma/mystery/enigma that, after three full seasons, remains un- or partially answered/resolved.

I'll get things going with an appetizer:

Who or what is the smoke monster security system? What is its nature and purpose? Is it a sentient being or is it being controlled by some other sentient being? Or both? Discuss.

Did the producers just decide to drop the tantalizing plotline involving Libby's character (i.e., the revelation that she was a patient in the same facility as Hurley) after the actress playing her was arrested for driving drunk? Discuss.

Why is Rose suddenly OK with the idea of a rescue? Wasn't she of the same mindset as Locke about that?
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2007, 12:03:07 AM »

Commenting on television is a rarity for me. But I just watched a movie that damn near moved me to tears --- "Exit Smiling" {1926} starring beautiful Beatrice Lilllie with Jack Pickford was hilarious but filled with pathos as well. The bad guy gets his retribution, the good guy gets his girl, but (alas!) the heroine went home alone.

Ah, they just don't make them like they used to. :'(

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2007, 10:39:12 AM »

This "Lost" thing.  I've never watched but reading all these posts about the show makes me wonder if the writers had first seen the episodes of "The Prisoner"?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »

Don't know whether it's the general consensus, but there's always been discussion about Lost writers borrowing from a number of sources, both moving media and print; The Prisoner is often mentioned.  If you're going to steal, borrow, or whatever you choose to call it, why not from the best?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2007, 11:13:55 AM »

One mystery i want to have some light shed on is how ben and the others know so much about the losties.

I took that to be one of the big questions of Lost, and therefore one with a convoluted, not too soon to be divulged resolution, as it probably ties in with the larger scheme of how/why things are done on the Island, why it exists, who's in charge (if anyone) here, etc.  I always figured the plane crash was unexpected; but judging from the organization and scope of the data (individual, thick folders containing detailed information) and how quickly it was assembled, I also thought someone with massive resources was behind the scenes.  You know, with a big IT room and a staff and everything.

Someone with that kind of money, resources, and apparent motive could probably plant false information about Flight 815 fairly easily.  (Penny's dad?  Alvar Hanso?  Someone else entirely?  I dunno.)

I'm probably sooooo wrong.

oooohh, Penny's "dad"   I think you're on to something there...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2007, 11:16:16 AM »

This "Lost" thing.  I've never watched but reading all these posts about the show makes me wonder if the writers had first seen the episodes of "The Prisoner"?

The Prisoner was a great show.  I hadn't noticed the similarities until you mentioned them...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2007, 11:26:42 AM »

As Harrie noted, Lost fans often see hommages, references, etc.  to The Prisoner.  Which brings up Earl's study question about the smoke monster, which of course reminds of "Rover" (the big angry balloon) on The Prisoner.  I take the Smoke Monster to be part of the central mystery of the island which was, somehow, already there and was essentially discovered by some group of people in the past and then that discovery led to the Dharma project, the secrecy, the shadowy cabal of wealth and power that is keeping the place secret and so on.   I take the Smoke Monster to be something beyond human science, something that is an anomaly of nature and very much part of the magic of the island.   What is most intriguing about the SM is that it has some kind of moral imperative -- it's not just an unsentient destructive force that will tear apart whoever comes along.  It looks over a person and makes some kind of decision, based on who that person is.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2007, 12:06:58 PM »

yes, no doubt, there are some things on the island that are not in any human's control...
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2007, 03:10:16 PM »

they did not know the jet was going to crash.  There was an episode that showed the Others in their camp when the plane came down and Ben thinking on the fly about planting some of their people in along with the survisors to get names and details.

At least, that's my take...

I rememeber that scene, but couldn't shake the feeling that Ben was perhaps acting a little in front of his troops.  If he had the knowledge that the flight would crash, he would have to at least pretend its a surprise when it happens. 

The smoke monster's morality is odd.  Nearly every "lost" member has some guilt to deal with.  Infidelity from Sun. Michael has killed. Sawyer and Kate have killed.  Jack is an MD so he may have made mistakes in his past.  Sayeed killed and tortured.  Hurley's bad luck killed off a few people too...  But the smoke monster chooses to off ecko after he had pretty much (aside from self-defense) turned away from his murderous past.  I guess thems the brakes though, when you're dealing with a nebulous smoke monster.... remember it tried to attack Kate's group...  Maybe it skips over the innocent.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2007, 04:04:19 PM »

Are there any Sopranos fans here?  the pace is getting quicker and things are really going downhill from here fast.  I think that was the first whack job I saw Silvio do.  Lost of surprise here and I will miss the series even though some seasons were less memorable than others.

As for Dr. Melfi, her current moralistic take on Tony is pretty hypocritical.  Her treatment of Tony this week was abominable. 

Silvio killed a guy by beating him to death and then they had to cut the guy up, if I remember correctly.

Tony is all alone. Ironic that he is back in his mother's house in his bedroom, watching the door---probably like he was when he was a kid--waiting for the bad news to come walking through it.

I think that he is not necessarily going down for the count next week. There's a possibility he talks to the feds still---and I am amazed that Paulie is still alive.

And for some reason, I think Meadow will be having a big role in what happens to T.

I will say this...the end for Bobby was a beautifully and artistically well done shooting---and I mean by the cameras, not the guns. how about the little figurine with its hand over its mouth, and him crashing down on the railroad, with the building that said "Newark" falling down next to him.

REally going to miss this show.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »

So...

we figure Paulie flipped, right?  Or was it Patsie?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 91
  Print  

Jump to: