Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 22, 2018, 09:01:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 25041 times)
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1365 on: February 05, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »

I have an idea for a television show. Chefs from around the world could go to Italy and cook for Andrea Bocelli. Each chef could prepare their favorite dish of the moment, or seven course meal, etc, for Andrea Bocelli. In return Andrea Bocelli sings for his meal. The name of the show could be "Andrea Bocelli sings for his supper."

Salute,

Tony V. 

Does he sing before the meal or after? If the singing where an interpretation of the meal, or the meal was an interpretation of the singing. Well, then you would be melding the two artistic expressions. Then I think you have something new.
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1366 on: February 07, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »

I have an idea for a television show. Chefs from around the world could go to Italy and cook for Andrea Bocelli. Each chef could prepare their favorite dish of the moment, or seven course meal, etc, for Andrea Bocelli. In return Andrea Bocelli sings for his meal. The name of the show could be "Andrea Bocelli sings for his supper."

Salute,

Tony V. 

Does he sing before the meal or after? If the singing where an interpretation of the meal, or the meal was an interpretation of the singing. Well, then you would be melding the two artistic expressions. Then I think you have something new.

He sings after the meal, to thank the Chef for the wonderful meal.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1367 on: February 07, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »

Here is another idea...

On the issue of creating a television show, there could be a show about a wealthy guy who ends up in a Mexican-American "hood" in Southern California.

There is the fish out of water theme for making television shows and movies, you take a country guy and put him in the city, or they take a city boy and put him in the country, or they take a black guy and put him in Beverly Hills, or they take a Mexican and put him in with a bunch of white old ladies, etc, etc, etc.

You could have a rich, educated, polite, white guy who ends up in a Mexican-American hood, or "barrio," in Southern California.

He could come in to do research, and end up liking the people and end up staying, or something. Or maybe he inherits an apartment complex. The O.G.'s can like him. Maybe he falls in love with a Mexican-American lady who manages an apartment complex in the barrio. They can learn lessons from each other about life, and they can learn to understand each other's cultures, etc. They can help each other, etc.

A lot could be done with this idea.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1368 on: February 07, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »

Here is another idea...

On the issue of creating a television show, there could be a show about a wealthy guy who ends up in a Mexican-American "hood" in Southern California.

There is the fish out of water theme for making television shows and movies, you take a country guy and put him in the city, or they take a city boy and put him in the country, or they take a black guy and put him in Beverly Hills, or they take a Mexican and put him in with a bunch of white old ladies, etc, etc, etc.

You could have a rich, educated, polite, white guy who ends up in a Mexican-American hood, or "barrio," in Southern California.

He could come in to do research, and end up liking the people and end up staying, or something. Or maybe he inherits an apartment complex. The O.G.'s can like him. Maybe he falls in love with a Mexican-American lady who manages an apartment complex in the barrio. They can learn lessons from each other about life, and they can learn to understand each other's cultures, etc. They can help each other, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

There is the saying that "We fear that which we do not understand." So this show could help to expose wealthy white people who watch the show to the Latino American culture. And it will also expose the Latinos who watch the show to the rich white culture. Maybe it could improve relations between the cultures a little, and maybe people would not want walls and stuff.

Salute,

Tony V.
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1369 on: February 07, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »

Salute,

Tony V.

He sings after the meal, to thank the Chef for the wonderful meal.

Salute,

Tony V.

Is what he sings somehow reflective of his gastronomic experience?

If not, m'eh.

And singing on a full belly is not a good idea.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:27:26 PM by Itz ME! » Logged
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1370 on: February 07, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »

Here is another idea...

On the issue of creating a television show, there could be a show about a wealthy guy who ends up in a Mexican-American "hood" in Southern California. (Life Stinks)

There is the fish out of water theme for making television shows and movies, you take a country guy and put him in the city ( Cheers, the Woody years), or they take a city boy and put him in the country (The Simple Life), or they take a black guy and put him in Beverly Hills(The Fresh Prince Of BelAir), or they take a Mexican and put him in with a bunch of white old ladies ( Chico And the Man) etc, etc, etc.

You could have a rich, educated, polite, white guy who ends up in a Mexican-American hood, or "barrio," in Southern California(Gentrification is not funny)

Salute,

Tony V.

A lot has been done with those ideas.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:30:10 PM by Itz ME! » Logged
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1371 on: February 08, 2018, 11:17:31 AM »

Commercials that don't make any sense:

1. I don't know who the advertiser is. The scenario is that a pair of helicopter parents and their precious little boy are driving on a mountain road. Ahead of them there is a Winnebago style RV. Ahead of the RV a couple of deer step into the road. OMG! the red car is going to smash into that RV! But no! The auto brake system slowed the red car down and stopped it before it rear ended the RV. PHEW! The deer mosey off the road while mom looks lovingly at her boy in the red car. Dad hits the gas and passes the RV as though it were standing still, which it is.

Why I hate it: Umm, the RV stopped for the deer! The old RV managed to stop, why am I supposed to impressed that the new sporty sedan managed to do through electronics what the driver of the RV did with 4 times the weight momentum?

2. Progressive ads with Jamie. a. Jamie sees the new guy being flirted on by the office girls at the picnic table. He says, "Wow, we look the same!" (they don't) The girls are pretty sure , they don't.

WIHI: Isn't Progressive supposed to be the company that compares rates? And your spokesman can't tell that he is not comparable to the hot new guy?

b. They're under the Dr. Strangelove war room lights and Flo is calling together the team, This guy, big deal in multiple items insurance, that girl (on her cell phone) head of getting stuff done, then there's Jamie, "Present." Punch line, "What are we gonna do?   Insurance, people, it's kinda ...what we do."

WIHI: What if I call in and get Jamie? What if I call in and get disinterested girl? And why isn't this team interested in insurance? Why would I want to do business with these people?

Beneful: The dog talking with its mouth full.

WIHI: The dog talking with its mouth full.

All dog and cat food commercials that emphasize "Real meat!"

WIHI: There is not a wild animal that wouldn't rather eat the guts of a dead something rather than the "real meat." And that includes your cat and your little dog too.

Diabetes drugs whose side effects are excessive thirst, frequent urination etc etc. Otherwise known as the symptoms of diabetes!

There are many others. I'll try to remember to add them. I invite you to add the ones that make no objective sense to you as well.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1372 on: February 08, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »

One of my favorites is the drug whose side fx list includes both diarrhea AND constipation.  Cue George Carlin:  hey, they cancel each other out!  Problem solved! 

Also the one where the bathtub falls neatly through the ceiling.  It's not like a perfectly rectangular piece of ceiling would fall, as if a neat fracture line developed along all the points on the ceiling joists and sheetrock and then gave way in perfect synchronization. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1373 on: February 08, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »

But to be fair, it is a drug to treat manic depression. ("It's a frustrating mess!" Jimi)  Shocked
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1374 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »

I still think one of my favorite commercials is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM6mOKApEJc

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1375 on: February 09, 2018, 01:13:41 PM »

That's racist, man.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1376 on: February 09, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »

That's racist, man.

Of course it's racist. If you don't know what racist means.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1377 on: February 11, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »

Here is another idea...

On the issue of creating a television show, there could be a show about a wealthy guy who ends up in a Mexican-American "hood" in Southern California. (Life Stinks)

There is the fish out of water theme for making television shows and movies, you take a country guy and put him in the city ( Cheers, the Woody years), or they take a city boy and put him in the country (The Simple Life), or they take a black guy and put him in Beverly Hills(The Fresh Prince Of BelAir), or they take a Mexican and put him in with a bunch of white old ladies ( Chico And the Man) etc, etc, etc.

You could have a rich, educated, polite, white guy who ends up in a Mexican-American hood, or "barrio," in Southern California(Gentrification is not funny)

Salute,

Tony V.

Gentrification has been happening in Hollywood since the first movie studio was built. That is why Beverly Hills is one of the most expensive places in the world to live. But, if you are making thirty thousand dollars per week as an actor, or more, then it is not so bad. Hollywood is great if you have money, but it is a bad place to be if you are poor. There are fifty eight thousand homeless people in Los Angeles County right now, and more people arrive daily, and the average income has not kept up with the cost of living, people can work full time and still be homeless. 

Salute,

Tony V.
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1378 on: February 12, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »

That's racist, man.

Of course it's racist. If you don't know what racist means.

I was being tongue in cheek. Not least of why being that we were talking about current ads that we dislike, then you drop a "favorite" ad from way back when.

But if you don't see the racial undertones in that ad then maybe that's your first clue as to why you don't seem to "get" the racism conversation in this country.

First is the recognition of the sexual innuendo. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and other times it's a big brown dick! And a cigarette is a little white dick. Then someone shows up with a longer little white dick. So 4 guys and one girl testify that size doesn't matter, plus the rough talkin guy that girlie girl is going to ride till raw!

There have to be five guys, because, ya know, once she goes big brown, she ain't coming back! White women are like that. The girl's just gotta have it!

That has been the basis of racism in America (if not globally) since formation. Read the arguments against ending slavery in 1776 and you'll see the argument, "Do you want your daughter sitting next to one in school." Because your daughter would be consumed by the fumes and the vapors would make her forget all that she learned in church! Meanwhile nobody gives a shit about your daughter, they are all afraid that there won't be any pussy for white men!

That, my friend is where you must start if you are going to understand racism in America.

Now, keep in mind that when that commercial came out, Winston wanted to make sure that they didn't become Newport Menthols. As important as carving a niche for your brand was, it was equally important NOT to become a brand that was preferred by black people. Because that will kill your brand in "certain circles."

So; of course it's not racist, if you don't know what racism is.   
Itz ME!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1379 on: February 12, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »

Here is another idea...

Salute,

Tony V.

Gentrification has been happening in Hollywood since the first movie studio was built. That is why Beverly Hills is one of the most expensive places in the world to live. But, if you are making thirty thousand dollars per week as an actor, or more, then it is not so bad. Hollywood is great if you have money, but it is a bad place to be if you are poor. There are fifty eight thousand homeless people in Los Angeles County right now, and more people arrive daily, and the average income has not kept up with the cost of living, people can work full time and still be homeless. 

Salute,

Tony V.

So I stand corrected, your idea that "You could have a rich, educated, polite, white guy who ends up in a Mexican-American hood, or 'barrio,' in Southern California." would be high larious! Making more people homeless as the rich white guy's friends decide to move into the barrio, because it's "cool."

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94
  Print  

Jump to: