Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 07:37:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14528 times)
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2007, 03:43:05 PM »

Art?  Last thing I saw on television that even resembled art was Carnivale.  It's television....

Don't stop believing....when a television show becomes self-referential, it's a sure bet the writers have long since stopped taking their job seriously. 

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2007, 03:44:02 PM »

Once again we fall for the big idea that everything that ends must make sense to us all---and why is that, when life itself makes so little sense to most everyone?

I'm more miffed about the "Pine Barrens" episode than I am the finale.  How do you just drop the whole Russian mafia story-line and not ever address it ever again?  What happened to that big crazy Russian

Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar.

I always thought that was a filler episode anyway.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »

Exactly!
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »

Life doesn't come with neat endings....yeah, but this isn't life, it's television.  No wonder the cast kept their traps shut about the ending.  Most of em probably would like to forget they were part of the con. 

Perhaps they should have paid their writers more...then they would have been willing to actually write an ending to the series.  They could have at least taken a page from the writers of Newhart

I give it  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Well, no, it's not television---and that's what made the show successful all along--because it wasn't the usual predictable fare. And it stayed that way all the way through.

Toss your cynicism aside---you and others were disappointed because you never really understood the show in the first place.

I give it a  Wink Wink Wink Wink  Grin

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »

Utley...I understood the show perfectly.  I had no expectations of it other than entertainment...and it was entertainment. 

And I did enjoy the self-referential fade to black..and the "what did my TV die?"  as if the end of the Sopranos equates with the end of television as we know it.....Today is truly a black day.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2007, 03:59:18 PM »

Really?  I always thought the "Pine Barrens" episode was seminal, vis a vis Cristufuh's relationship with Paulie, Tony's doubts about Paulie's competence, etc.

It's probably my favorite or 2nd-favorite (the other being "University") episode, BHWDIK?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2007, 04:15:55 PM »

But, even the Pine Barrens had an aura of camp about it.  Where to dump the body, Valery chewing through the carpet and getting re-hit, Tony's girl trouble, the sharing of the catsup in a beat up van...  If not, why no resolution?

The series started out as a joke....a guy walks into a psychiatrists office....  As the series progressed, Tony's character became progressively darker, and Antony Jr. became the joke.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »

But, even the Pine Barrens had an aura of camp about it. 

Without some camp, it wouldn't really be a "The Sopranos".  Look no further than the great exchange, after Paulie learns from Tony (on a bad cell phone connection) that the crazy Russian is actually a former A-team commando who worked for the Ministry of the Interior and killed 8 Chechnyans by himself:

PAULIE
He says this guy killed 18 Czechlozovakians... and he's an interior decorator!

CRISTUFUH (confused)
Jesus.  His apartment looked like shit...

Now that's some good "Sopranos" stuff, and most definitely camp...
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2007, 04:26:48 PM »

Anthony Jr seems to have been having a turnaround in his life.  The writers took him from despair to hookin up with hottie rather quickly. 

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2007, 04:30:19 PM »

I find it interesting that Tony felt like he had to get rid of Christopher ... his protege.. who had gone into the movie biz... and now here he is with his son, encouraging him to go into the movie biz.

Its like in some odd way, Tony was redeeming Christopher's career choices through his own son.  Giving AJ the life Christopher would have wanted.

While for himself, he keeps his son out of the family business where he had to off his adopted son who had strayed too far.

-Dave Attell
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »

But, even the Pine Barrens had an aura of camp about it.  Where to dump the body, Valery chewing through the carpet and getting re-hit, Tony's girl trouble, the sharing of the catsup in a beat up van...  If not, why no resolution?

The series started out as a joke....a guy walks into a psychiatrists office....  As the series progressed, Tony's character became progressively darker, and Antony Jr. became the joke.

You are truly a moron
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »

Kid...I suspect you have issues with your own lack of intelligence...maybe if you start reading you can get it up to your age.

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »

The Sopranos was nothing is not high camp....and some of its high points were the blatant send ups of "family values!"   

I'd rate that  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2007, 04:48:51 PM »

You are truly a moron

That would be me....
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »

Anthony Jr seems to have been having a turnaround in his life.  The writers took him from despair to hookin up with hottie rather quickly. 

LOL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: