Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 16, 2018, 12:01:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14101 times)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »

Kid...I suspect you have issues with your own lack of intelligence...maybe if you start reading you can get it up to your age.

How is it, aside from, "Mommy...", that you find A.J. a joke?  The attempted suicide?  His want to defend his nation?

Sick.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »

How is it, aside from, "Mommy...", that you find A.J. a joke?  The attempted suicide?  His want to defend his nation?

The way he switched so easily from wanting to defend his nation to being okay with foregoing army enlistment to take a movie-related job (the opportunity for which being due to his father's "business" contacts and influence) was pretty funny.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »

I thought it was funny how the new shrink looked like Katie Couric.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »

There's also something Charlie Brownesque about the make-out scene where his car blows up.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »

I thought it sucked how "John from Cinncinnati" sucked.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2007, 10:45:05 PM »

kam,

I just spent the ultimate 12 hour day with the Sopranos,their fans,and the disgruntled.

After  somewhere a bit short of 600 posts, only two of us mentioned that,no,the scene was not from Tony's point of view; go back over the camera work and you realize we were all there observing  so there is kind of an omni view rather than the story being told from his take.

lulu:

Meadow has always  directed her education toward Law (you may have gotten thrown for a loop recently when at a dinner at Artie Bucco's, other couples come up to Carmela and Tony about the news of Meadow and the Parisi kid being engaged. Carmela has built up some lines in a scene at Meadow's bedroom door where she finds Meadow has a dormitory chum visiting and the dialogue fills us in that this young woman with a medical career orientation kind of bleeds into a mistep in the dialogue, whether or not Carmela is improvising(?), which infers Meadow dropped out of medicine. Not that I recall. Meadow worked in a community based law program, which led to the episode about the black boyfriend, which everybody has preferred to forget, totally erased from memory by the time that A.J. acquires a girl-friend while on one of his rare jobs.

oilcanboyd,

I think you are on about  Marchand, great actress, consensus of opinion today came back with this. The reason that Tony gives A.J. such a hard time will amaze you, now that psychiatrists have been changed. The theory goes that Tony was like A.J. is now, and the excuse, as you've heard given to the new psychiatrist(Couric or not), is because Livia was such a passive-aggressive that's  why Tony turned out as he did. Carmela, as apparently quite the opposite of her mother-in-law Livia, was a very comforting supportive mother to A.J.  but what do you get? Same thing.   

Posters predict A.J. will have a great career in the mob by the time that Tony thinks that running North Jersey was as Corrado said," I did. Think of that...". 

One patron went so far as to describe what happens when Meadow enters the restaurant, the man at the end of the counter, who went to men's room(much talk whether bathrooms still have cabinet-tanks on the wall above the toilet, for the second replay of historical Sparks Restaurant when Gotti had Catalano shot) is taking aim at Tony, Meadow throws a tackle at her father and Tony gets off with a flesh wound in the shoulder, A.J. is under the table, and Carmela grabs the gun from the floor and takes aim at the assassin to defend her family. Putatively, what we didn't see last night.  By the way, the diner is in no small town, it is in Bloomfield. I did not get this off of HBO.com because they took so many hits today that they crashed.

People were overly concerned about the identity of the cat.

I can't remember what I was going to tell Lhoffman now! If I have mixed up any of either kam and/or oilcanboyd's remarks with my responses, will try to untangle it later or by and by.

Oh, yeah, one more thing, a couple of guys read the credits very closely last night, I never can read them that fast, and the name of the actor(theoretically) who played the man at the end of the counter who goes to the men's room -- Nate Leotardo. (" Phil's nephew?")

Sometimes people think that now the Jersey mob, like the New York mob, of the Five families, is pretty much out of the picture. Somehow, I don't feel that way, the guys that I have to talk with in passing when in North Jersey talk pretty much as on camera, as far as aspects of being knowledgeable about anything on the other side of the river; the guys that I'd rather not talk with,are obviously shrewder. One doesn't want to be misconstrued because they can be drastically superstitious in their interpretation of things as well as temperamental.  So this is the way I feel when I hear (in the plot-line) something like, "Little Italy used to be at least 40 blocks square and now is one street of shops and cafes...."

I feel sad.    Then I kick myself. Because all the people I know from there live in the suburbs. This was progress. The other is nostalgia.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2007, 11:58:43 PM »

I thought of David Chase's sort of lack of comfort with being the beacon of post-millennial malaise when he retreats to comfort food, the onion ring, the zero, I'm giving you people zero, I'm giving you Journey, I gave you a journey, but I'm not giving you an end. 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2007, 05:18:31 AM »

If nothing else I liked the theme song of The Sopranas.  It is one of those shows which I missed out on for the most part here in Lithuania.  They started showing it last year on LTV, but I have no idea from which point, and I don't try to follow along, but my daughter has gotten caught up in its spell.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »

Sopranos, sorry. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2007, 09:22:41 AM »

I've been meaning to ask you whose movie is that(?) as, from the insignia to the right of Cabeza de Vaca, I realized it was not a book that you were reading (and then realized the reason it was under your name might be more fundamental but, hey,each to his own taste in signifiers).

It's one of those  heroic names that I recall sounds familiar but haven't a clue after 58 years what were the extent of his accomplishments in the "new world"(of course little did we know at the time that along would come a president who decided to think of us in that way again!)

If your daughter is in that ingenue age group, I can not remember in any detail the more insidious plots for the teenage group a la Sopranos other than one of Meadow's first "true loves" in the neighborhood (of community) gets knocked off. Very likely David Chase could not resist borrowing themes evident in such works of art as Romeo and Juliet as remarked by the greats of Italian cinema.

The actors involved in a production such as the Sopranos, with an extremely long run to boot, love it when their show goes into European distribution. It's a little like collecting retirement benefits since, you get paid for work you have done, while not working at present.  It's one of the ingenious achievements that agents (or the union,itself) have worked into the contracts via SAG(the screen actors guild).
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2007, 09:53:35 AM »

Cabeza de Vaca

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101529/

I selected him since he came up in the chapters on Spanish expeditions in American Colonies.  One of the few truly heroic figures of the time.  The movie is well worth watching.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2007, 09:59:45 AM »

kam,

I just spent the ultimate 12 hour day with the Sopranos,their fans,and the disgruntled.

After  somewhere a bit short of 600 posts, only two of us mentioned that,no,the scene was not from Tony's point of view; go back over the camera work and you realize we were all there observing  so there is kind of an omni view rather than the story being told from his take.

lulu:

Meadow has always  directed her education toward Law (you may have gotten thrown for a loop recently when at a dinner at Artie Bucco's, other couples come up to Carmela and Tony about the news of Meadow and the Parisi kid being engaged. Carmela has built up some lines in a scene at Meadow's bedroom door where she finds Meadow has a dormitory chum visiting and the dialogue fills us in that this young woman with a medical career orientation kind of bleeds into a mistep in the dialogue, whether or not Carmela is improvising(?), which infers Meadow dropped out of medicine. Not that I recall. Meadow worked in a community based law program, which led to the episode about the black boyfriend, which everybody has preferred to forget, totally erased from memory by the time that A.J. acquires a girl-friend while on one of his rare jobs.

oilcanboyd,

I think you are on about  Marchand, great actress, consensus of opinion today came back with this. The reason that Tony gives A.J. such a hard time will amaze you, now that psychiatrists have been changed. The theory goes that Tony was like A.J. is now, and the excuse, as you've heard given to the new psychiatrist(Couric or not), is because Livia was such a passive-aggressive that's  why Tony turned out as he did. Carmela, as apparently quite the opposite of her mother-in-law Livia, was a very comforting supportive mother to A.J.  but what do you get? Same thing.   

Posters predict A.J. will have a great career in the mob by the time that Tony thinks that running North Jersey was as Corrado said," I did. Think of that...". 

One patron went so far as to describe what happens when Meadow enters the restaurant, the man at the end of the counter, who went to men's room(much talk whether bathrooms still have cabinet-tanks on the wall above the toilet, for the second replay of historical Sparks Restaurant when Gotti had Catalano shot) is taking aim at Tony, Meadow throws a tackle at her father and Tony gets off with a flesh wound in the shoulder, A.J. is under the table, and Carmela grabs the gun from the floor and takes aim at the assassin to defend her family. Putatively, what we didn't see last night.  By the way, the diner is in no small town, it is in Bloomfield. I did not get this off of HBO.com because they took so many hits today that they crashed.

People were overly concerned about the identity of the cat.

I can't remember what I was going to tell Lhoffman now! If I have mixed up any of either kam and/or oilcanboyd's remarks with my responses, will try to untangle it later or by and by.

Oh, yeah, one more thing, a couple of guys read the credits very closely last night, I never can read them that fast, and the name of the actor(theoretically) who played the man at the end of the counter who goes to the men's room -- Nate Leotardo. (" Phil's nephew?")

Sometimes people think that now the Jersey mob, like the New York mob, of the Five families, is pretty much out of the picture. Somehow, I don't feel that way, the guys that I have to talk with in passing when in North Jersey talk pretty much as on camera, as far as aspects of being knowledgeable about anything on the other side of the river; the guys that I'd rather not talk with,are obviously shrewder. One doesn't want to be misconstrued because they can be drastically superstitious in their interpretation of things as well as temperamental.  So this is the way I feel when I hear (in the plot-line) something like, "Little Italy used to be at least 40 blocks square and now is one street of shops and cafes...."

I feel sad.    Then I kick myself. Because all the people I know from there live in the suburbs. This was progress. The other is nostalgia.

You spent 12 hours talking about a television show?

And A.J. needs help?Huh??

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »

Kid...I suspect you have issues with your own lack of intelligence...maybe if you start reading you can get it up to your age.

After years of posting with the guy, I can tell you "Moron" is simply kid's way of saying "I disagree."

What does it matter?  All is grace.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2007, 10:05:44 AM »

Funny saying bloomfield is no small town. Ever been there?

Geeze.

Exclusive interview with David Chase on what the last episode all means and other important (to some)  stuff on "Made in America" episode:

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sepinwall/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1181623651270570.xml&coll=1

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »

"You spent 12 hours talking about a television show?

And A.J. needs help???"

Mr. Utley,
re:#136
You might call it,"cultural studies" research.  As far as we know,A.J.'s Ilyer reality need's no help whatsoever, although the public seems to have some disagreement whether the show ran for five years or was that nine years?

Yes, I figure that I must have passed through Bloomfield along the way, the "ice cream parlor"(diner) looks much like others although my favourite was in Pennington.   I've lived in nearby North Jersey communities, to the W. Caldwell location mentioned as an "inspiration"(?), in my "yout", as a well known orator once conveyed on screen. 

But I had just moved from New Jersey at the point when The Sopranos was about to make its tv debut. I was boarding a flight to L.A. at the time but, I made absolutely clear through appropriate channels, that someone had better phone and subscribe to HBO before I returned the Sunday of the opening show!

Unfortunately, a  great many residents back in Jersey had likewise done the same, exactly the same. As of yesterday, they phoned HBO to cancel.

I shall now continue reading your thoughtful inclusion of local opinion, in the Star Ledger.  Thank you!

Ps. One carrier provided a web-site as of last night had upwards from 7000 hits, but the communications level was not up to the par of the nytimes.com for instance.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: