Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 17, 2018, 04:44:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14158 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2007, 12:06:52 PM »

Most of the response (enough i suspect to generate 6000 of those 7000 hits) is on the loudmouth dimwit level.  A few may be justifiably miffed but to read the opinions i can only assume most are frankly not intelligent viewers or simply not very intelligent to begin with.

My father who is a film critic understood the ending right away, he then proceeded to cite to me a french film that ended in a similar fashion (i forget the name of the film) where people are stranded on an island and the last scene shows a helicopter coming for them but you don't know if its coming to rescue them or kill them.. and then cut to black. 

The American audience is not cultured enough to appreciate (the irony is Chase was hiding out in France) non-traditional endings where the viewer is challenged as to what they expect should happen.

Its funny so many are pining for an ending where you see Tony get whacked or go to jail or turn informant.  What gives?  You can still have those endings... we just don't get to watch it on screen.  And any ending that they might have given us would have satisfied some craving of the ID and thats all. 

There is so much more to discuss with this ending that with any sort of 'traditional' one.  I can't thanks Chase and co. enough for their brave decision to take this kind of heat from the public in order to put out a superior piece of work.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2007, 12:19:52 PM »

I'm with you, kam.

The problem for many Americans today is that they are pining for some kind of certainty in their lives.
They expect it from their art. From their food. From their supermarket. From their president.

I think it was no accident of Chase's to have the Iraq war enter the script, either.

Anyone here want to write that ending??? Shocked

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »

Wow, you step away for a few days and there are a hundred new posts -- many of which are very emotionally charged -- about a fictional family that is dealing with emotionally charged issues every day.

I guess it's not too hard to figure out how the violence gets started...

everyone's still entitled to their "opinion" aren't they?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2007, 01:03:35 PM »

I thought you got whacked, horse.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2007, 01:05:37 PM »

I'm entitled to my opinion, and to the opinions of 4-8 others.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »

I'm with you, kam.

The problem for many Americans today is that they are pining for some kind of certainty in their lives.
They expect it from their art. From their food. From their supermarket. From their president.

I think it was no accident of Chase's to have the Iraq war enter the script, either.

Anyone here want to write that ending??? Shocked

Sure - why not?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »

AJ: Not Iraq -- Afghanistan!

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »

have at it, kid.

Can't wait to see the script.

Meanwhile, in other news...Rather Not Thrilled with Katie C.

NEW YORK (AP) - CBS Corp. Chief Executive Leslie Moonves shot back at former CBS news anchor Dan Rather on Tuesday, saying remarks Rather made about his successor, Katie Couric, were "sexist."
Rather, speaking on MSNBC by phone on Monday, said CBS had made the mistake of taking the evening news broadcast and "dumbing it down, tarting it up," and playing up topics such as celebrities over war coverage. The comments appeared in blogs and in a story published Tuesday in the New York Daily News.
While referring to Couric as a "nice person," Rather said "the mistake was to try to bring the 'Today' show ethos to the 'Evening News,' and to dumb it down, tart it up in hopes of attracting a younger audience."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2007-06-12_D8PNCSB01&show_article=1&cat=breaking

Here’s the article from the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2007/06/12/2007-06-12_dan_would_rather_not_see_katies_changes.html

I like that.

sing along now to Neil Young's Hey, Hey, My My (Out of the Blue and into the Black)

Hey, hey, my my.
CBS News made Rather Cry,
"Dumbing it down, and tarting it up".
We give you time, and you screw it up.
There's more to the news biz than what you wear,
When you're "dumbing it down, and tarting it up."

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:24:57 PM by MrUtley » Logged

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »

have at it, kid.

Can't wait to see the script.

Meanwhile, in other news...Rather Not Thrilled with Katie C.

NEW YORK (AP) - CBS Corp. Chief Executive Leslie Moonves shot back at former CBS news anchor Dan Rather on Tuesday, saying remarks Rather made about his successor, Katie Couric, were "sexist."
Rather, speaking on MSNBC by phone on Monday, said CBS had made the mistake of taking the evening news broadcast and "dumbing it down, tarting it up," and playing up topics such as celebrities over war coverage. The comments appeared in blogs and in a story published Tuesday in the New York Daily News.
While referring to Couric as a "nice person," Rather said "the mistake was to try to bring the 'Today' show ethos to the 'Evening News,' and to dumb it down, tart it up in hopes of attracting a younger audience."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2007-06-12_D8PNCSB01&show_article=1&cat=breaking

Here’s the article from the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2007/06/12/2007-06-12_dan_would_rather_not_see_katies_changes.html

I like that.

sing along now to Neil Young's Hey, Hey, My My (Out of the Blue and into the Black)

Hey, hey, my my.
CBS News made Rather Cry,
"Dumbing it down, and tarting it up".
We give you time, and you screw it up.
There's more to the news biz than what you wear,
When you're "dumbing it down, and tarting it up."

It's already writing itself

3 Democratic candidates  have such a great opportunity, what with the war being so unpopular

Yet they can't impress - one failing to gain ground on his "I voted against the war from the outset", even though one of the other candidates constantly praises him for it - one going the apology route, the third clinging to "THEY LIED TO US"!!!!!!

How presidential.

Meanwhile poor ol' antiwarmom has to sell the land she purchased in aq silly maneuver, finally packing her bags and realizing she has a life to live.

And the current regime, so unpoular, continues to keep our land safe after 9/11.  We can only hope the next administration follows suit

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2007, 01:40:12 PM »

Oh......

thanks for the Ledger link to Chase, by the way
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »

You certainly are! I'm with you there...

Nonetheless double and triple scoops of ice-cream from Holsten's to Mr.Utley whom I can not thank enough for posting the link, I finally stumbled into the midst of the Star-Ledger in some god-forsaken place in North Jersey and had all my questions of the universe answered by people who post under exceptionally creative names for New Jersey.  Apparently they've been hard at work on this topic all along; for years.

I must say, however, that they are far more thorough in analysis of their chosen topic as literature than we ever were  in the nytimes.com Book Forums about any books we were reputed to have read. So, no wonder Phil got whacked. New York mob against North Jersey crew, no way!
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2007, 10:09:03 PM »

When does Psyche start up again???

I don't have any shows on now that I can watch...   Sad
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »

You certainly are! I'm with you there...

Nonetheless double and triple scoops of ice-cream from Holsten's to Mr.Utley whom I can not thank enough for posting the link, I finally stumbled into the midst of the Star-Ledger in some god-forsaken place in North Jersey and had all my questions of the universe answered by people who post under exceptionally creative names for New Jersey.  Apparently they've been hard at work on this topic all along; for years.

I must say, however, that they are far more thorough in analysis of their chosen topic as literature than we ever were  in the nytimes.com Book Forums about any books we were reputed to have read. So, no wonder Phil got whacked. New York mob against North Jersey crew, no way!

The New Jersey motto: "New Jersey; where only the strong survive."

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »

It seems that all new television dramas will now be compared to The Sopranos.  I don't think this much excitement had been generated about a drama since Twin Peaks. It has been fun watching Twin Peaks again on DVD.  It took them forever and a day to come out with the second season. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2007, 10:59:11 AM »

Dzimas,

Here is the dvd cover done by Annie Liebovitz for the fifth season that was compared to the Delacroix that I mention in the Art forum

http://www.lbracco.com/images/sopranosseason5poster.jpg
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: