Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 06:23:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 15674 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2007, 11:02:22 AM »

It does make them look like some cross between a Gothic music group with a modern day Vampire fashion.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2007, 11:05:59 AM »

Dzimas,

Here is the dvd cover done by Annie Liebovitz for the fifth season that was compared to the Delacroix that I mention in the Art forum

http://www.lbracco.com/images/sopranosseason5poster.jpg

Nice cover!
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »

the name of the movie was Limbo (a John Sayles movie, not French) in which Straitharn and McDonnell (I think) are left on the island waiting for Kristofferson to pick them up.  The ending is loaded (1) whether KK will return or (2) if he does, will he kill them?

Maddening as hell.  But the ending of the Sopranos was not maddening.  It made perfect sense.  Tony's life is basically over and when Meadow walks through that door, it's to a dysfunctional family.  A father who's a mobster who may go to jail or not; a brother who is simply lost and will probably never amount to anything; a marriage barely hanging together and Meadow herself delusional about her father and the mob (and will probably end up defending mobsters).  Do we need to know what happens.  For years we've seen Tony disintegrate and both families come apart.  The story is over to all extents and purposes.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »

Thanks Lulu.  Limbo... i've got to check that ending out.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2007, 06:05:42 PM »

Ambiguous endings archive:

http://thisdistractedglobe.com/category/ambiguous-endings/

Enjoy!

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2007, 10:02:31 AM »

Did anyone bother to watch Lil Bush last night on Comedy Channel? I really detest Bush, but this was really one HORRIBLE attempt at political satire. The only good part of it was how the cartoon of Condi Rice was drawn.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2007, 01:18:36 PM »

Found out about it too late! I opted to catch up on the opener (stashed) for -- Big Love -- before Sting (part of whose program was shot out in California,another part in Italy,etc.).

Ps. Propriety in using quotations marks is always advisable, since people are following "the Lede"(sic) tracking down info on wha' happen while wrestling with their Jones. Someone might stray through anything labeled Television and recognize their own posting at another venue.

The funniest story heard in that category was the family who hurried to Holsten's to check it out and found there were no juke-boxes on the tables (strictly a period decor from another era incorporated as "production values")and that the murals had been changed for same reason.  But the place was packed and the kitchen had run out of onion rings about noon time so they all had to make do with French fries. Strangely enough, the menu still current, never listed an onion rings at all. Must  have been more "production values".
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:20 PM »

The intro of that scene where Tony walks through the door, looks at the place and the murals, then you see him at the door again looking at the place, then cut to actually seeing Tony sitting down waiting and futzing with the Jukebox was odd.  It seemed like the writers were trying to mess with us.

But then the rest of the scene is just a perfectly normal one. The guy at the counter who walked in when AJ walked in and who got up to use the restroom didn't look menacing at all upon further review.   

The other Journey song on the Jukebox that Tony didn't choose?  Any way you want it

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »

I don't suppose anyone out there with HBO watched a series called "Epitafios," created by HBO in connection with a South American television studio (I think Argentina but not sure).  It was aimed for a Hispanic audience and then thrown onto HBO with subtitles.  It was one great series, very addictive and I miss it.  I watched Episodes 9-13 on Tuesday and wanted more.  I will miss this series more than the Sopranos.  And the ending was so tragic.

Oh, well, no one to talk about regarding this wonderful series.  Maybe HBO will show all the episodes again.  I think in september it will come back.  If so, check it out.  I think the first season is on dvd so it could be rented.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2007, 09:59:52 PM »

kam re:#160

"The guy at the counter who walked in when AJ walked in and who got up to use the restroom didn't look menacing at all upon further review."

It's all in the social perspective. After Mr. Utley posted a heads-up to me about the Star-Ledger, I was truly amazed at the difference in outlook, as everyday, so matter of fact, within Jersey, as compared to what had been posted in nytimes.com blogs following what could only be described, among their readership, as overwhelmingly offended.

Back in North Jersey, the readers/viewers/posters were calm, cool, and collected. About your above comment -- here is what one North Jersey resident cool as a cucumber matter of factly remembered about that situation. He described the arrivals of the immediate family members as well as the other customers, and when A.J. arrives, he gives the details of A.J. mannerisms and body language;and, then goes on, without batting an eyelash to describe the man you are talking about in the above quote from your post, by saying, "...and the body guard who came with him." --then going on to describe his positioning and movements from then on.

Which made perfect sense to me.  I hadn't picked up on it when A.J. arrived, since I wasn't looking for it and was concentrated on how "our happy little boy" melded into the scene and what was his dialogue, and how was he received. Never in a million years would I have looked for that discreetly accompanying figure who enters incognito; because we are used to seeing A.J. at home or on his own turf.

But I immediately got the sense of the ordinariness of his perspective and it was a lot less than a million years for me. It was more like approximately 18 years ago.  I was living in what used to be called West Jersey (Colonial period,17th.century) and today is geographically mostly west central Jersey, when I went up to North Jersey for a concert and kind of stood back and observed how the Jersey fans did behave quite differently than people in Illinois, or Philadelphia, for instance. Upon reflection, I had to admit how ubiquitous the body-guard actually is in reality and how after you get used to that concept -- how quickly you accept it as taken for granted.

The clincher was how long ago the scene was shot and how much earlier the candidate for the role was noticed by a talent scout who keeps an office in the immediate area where I had been living at the time that I attended the concert. Good reason for that as well, because she will circulate in an area which has been producing the creme de la creme of both trained actors --and unknowns who pour into the prep-school year after year. On the particular occasion of her find, she went slightly further afield on some business or other and stopped for pizza on the other side of the river and found "a virgin", a non-actor who qualified by dint of looking Italian which he certainly was. And, that is why he did not look menacing, as you said; not because he is Italian but because he runs a business in which hospitality is everything.  The "looking Italian" was merely a necessity of the setting in which, if he was a hit man or if he was a body guard,he would fit right into the neighborhood.  I think that's what you would be going for  in hiring either one; that they fit in, unobtrusively.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2007, 10:12:31 PM »

I was with you except for this line

Upon reflection, I had to admit how ubiquitous the body-guard actually is in reality and how after you get used to that concept -- how quickly you accept it as taken for granted.

You saw bodyguards at a concert 18 yrs ago in NJ? 

On the particular occasion of her find, she went slightly further afield on some business or other and stopped for pizza on the other side of the river and found "a virgin", a non-actor who qualified by dint of looking Italian which he certainly was. And, that is why he did not look menacing, as you said; not because he is Italian but because he runs a business in which hospitality is everything.

And are you saying you know the person who found that actor?

-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2007, 01:23:14 PM »

kam

Re: Television
« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2007, 09:59:52 PM

"....the candidate for the role was noticed by a talent scout who keeps an office in the immediate area where I had been living "

in response to:

kam   
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:20 PM

"...The guy at the counter who walked in when AJ walked in and who got up to use the restroom didn't look menacing at all upon further review."

followed by kam   
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2007, 10:12:31 PM » "And are you saying you know the person who found that actor?"

Madupont, here:
No, I'm not. I thought someone, perhaps you, had mentioned reading the Star-Ledger reprint on the identity of  "the guy at the counter who walked in when AJ walked in and...".  I don't know the agent; I am aware of  the casting agency situated in a prime location for the reasons specified. About six months prior to the shooting, she went from Lawrenceville to the other side of the Delaware River on business, perhaps to Philadelphia who knows,and stopped at Penndale Pizza to eat when she looked at the proprietor's photo on the wall and thought, perhaps, I've  found the " Italian looking guy" that I'm supposed to come up with for casting the final episode. 

Enough said, he was not  Phil Leotardo's nephew, as far as I know today, although we saw quite a bit of that character in a number of episodes toward the end of this short season as well as earlier in other season because he has a face not easily forgotten and the delivery of his dialogue in character is a memorable individualistic style as well although I haven't the faintest idea of the name of the actor who played Phil Leotardo's nephew.   (by the way, much is made of the fact that Phil did not have a family. Thus, I'm waiting on pins and needles for anyone to tell me their interpretations of just who were those people when Phil steps outta-da-car and was blown away just for starters to set you up psychologically for where this finale will be going.)

This is what has led a number of posters in various places to construe that differing versions by Chase-- were
shown in different parts of the nation.  I'm keen to have a minute to go back, and look On Demand to see how my perceptions were working and when they were not, after a week like this.

As to your other question,re:#163

"You saw bodyguards at a concert 18 yrs ago in NJ?"  Certainly. You probably could at a concert today, there or anywhere, as well as forty-years ago.  Or, as said originally:
"...how ubiquitous the body-guard actually is in reality and how after you get used to that concept -- how quickly you accept it as taken for granted.

Particularly, if you are in North Jersey.  Many of the story-lines for the series dealt with normal things in Jersey, starting with the Bear in the Back Yard, which authenticated things to me, and then went on to how Tony and crew high-jacked -- which led to exemplary imitations by civilians copy-catting by grabbing your car from a shopping-mall. At which time, I was glad that I no longer lived in the vicinity. But, hey, just a new set of problems traded into from the old.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2007, 03:31:15 PM »

Even though I was not then nor am I now a huge Whitney Houston fan...I thought The Bodyguard was a pretty good movie.   Especially though opening scene...

Smiley
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »

Ok... so the so-called hitman in the members only jacket who walks into the restroom in the final scene is purportedly working for Tony Soprano as a bodyguard?

Hmmm.... interesting theory. This would be the first time that Tony felt the need to have one in public, no? Who is Tony afraid of all of a sudden?  Retribution from NY was not forthcoming for Phil's execution. 

The “Members Only” guy was played by the owner of a real-life pizza parlor, Paolo Colandrea.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 04:09:09 PM by kam » Logged

-Dave Attell
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »

kam

« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2007, 09:59:52 PM

"....the candidate for the role was noticed by a talent scout who keeps an office in the immediate area where I had been living "

in response to:

kam   
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:20 PM

"...The guy at the counter who walked in when AJ walked in and who got up to use the restroom didn't look menacing at all upon further review."

followed by kam   
« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2007, 10:12:31 PM » "And are you saying you know the person who found that actor?"

Madupont, here:
No, I'm not. I thought someone, perhaps you, had mentioned reading the Star-Ledger reprint on the identity of  "the guy at the counter who walked in when AJ walked in and...".  I don't know the agent; I am aware of  the casting agency situated in a prime location for the reasons specified. About six months prior to the shooting, she went from Lawrenceville to the other side of the Delaware River on business, perhaps to Philadelphia who knows,and stopped at Penndale Pizza to eat when she looked at the proprietor's photo on the wall and thought, perhaps, I've  found the " Italian looking guy" that I'm supposed to come up with for casting the final episode. 

Enough said, he was not  Phil Leotardo's nephew, as far as I know today, although we saw quite a bit of that character in a number of episodes toward the end of this short season as well as earlier in other season because he has a face not easily forgotten and the delivery of his dialogue in character is a memorable individualistic style as well although I haven't the faintest idea of the name of the actor who played Phil Leotardo's nephew.   (by the way, much is made of the fact that Phil did not have a family. Thus, I'm waiting on pins and needles for anyone to tell me their interpretations of just who were those people when Phil steps outta-da-car and was blown away just for starters to set you up psychologically for where this finale will be going.)

This is what has led a number of posters in various places to construe that differing versions by Chase-- were
shown in different parts of the nation.  I'm keen to have a minute to go back, and look On Demand to see how my perceptions were working and when they were not, after a week like this.

As to your other question,re:#163

"You saw bodyguards at a concert 18 yrs ago in NJ?"  Certainly. You probably could at a concert today, there or anywhere, as well as forty-years ago.  Or, as said originally:
"...how ubiquitous the body-guard actually is in reality and how after you get used to that concept -- how quickly you accept it as taken for granted.

Particularly, if you are in North Jersey.  Many of the story-lines for the series dealt with normal things in Jersey, starting with the Bear in the Back Yard, which authenticated things to me, and then went on to how Tony and crew high-jacked -- which led to exemplary imitations by civilians copy-catting by grabbing your car from a shopping-mall. At which time, I was glad that I no longer lived in the vicinity. But, hey, just a new set of problems traded into from the old.

Dude, you're doing a great job of perpetuating the myths of Jersey. Keep it up. ONly thing missing from your overgeneralizations is "What exit?"

Seriuously, I hate when people actually know what a great place it is to live, because then they might want to come here. Can you imagine some Colorado schuck coming here and not knowing where to get the best bagels? Or not even knowing what a bagel was?

Keep it up. YOu're very amusing!!!

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 91
  Print  

Jump to: