Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 07:14:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 91
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 15403 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »

They fire that guy for saying "faggot," which the guy admits to being, but when Rosie O'Donnell says "ching chong, ching chong" you get nothing, which she gets away with on account of being lesbo.  Then you get the whole Imus "nappy ho" thing which, if not that funny, was a harmless comment on the common vernacular that black people, particulary those in the "hip hop community" frequently use.  And yet, Fred Funk does a pink-skirted dance of misogny when outdriven by A. Sorenstam, demeaning the accomplishments of female atheletes everywhere, and he is supposedly a "good sport."  Why wasn't Imus being a good sport???  Why isn't Isiah Washington making a bad joke?  "The Big Show" or whatever out of Charlotte, NC, is always doing patently racist material in blackvoice, but [crickets].  I was once accused of making a demeaning roid rage slur and was labeled as "anti-personal trainer," I mean, why can't we all just bang a gong, get it on, and all just get along???

Well, jbottle, that was what life was like at nytimes.com, the one exception being the Film Forum, of course.  I can never forget the day in discussion of Philip Roth's,The Human Stain, as a book that is, that the usual contenders were all into Politically Correct simply referred to as PC -- I thought they were talking about "personal computer", so I asked the moderator exactly how do you define PC?  Then I thanked him and told him that I seemed to have missed that era; I tuned in late or something. I think you have to be referring to someone's politics, if you are going to designate it as either PC or not PC,which automatically makes it predominantly Republican or vice-versa Democrat.

I learn today that is a problem, I have. The French do not  accept politically correct as a concept, it is not a part of their baggage, as non-evident in their language or how their thinking is formed, even if I am only partially entitled to think that way.  I understand that to be Politically Correct around here,"entitlement" is out.

So then, the moderator says to me, after I've described that Roth's designated hero--Anatole Broyard decided that when anybody asked what race he was that he would say he was Jewish, taking note of his nappy hair on humid days, after all, he thought, some Jews also have nappy hair and New York is pre-eminently Jewish(okay, so maybe I said Predominant!), I can pass for that, and the moderator says, "What do you mean "Jewish"? (defined more like predominantly than pre-eminently).

I answered, "Which New York, are we talking about? Because I'm talking about living off of Second Avenue near Rattner's (which no longer exists).

He never forgave me for that. Began figuring out clandestine moves in other forums to blacken my name.  Eventually, I just went to another editor down the street and told him the story; he liked it as he couldn't stand the dude. They were competitors in the on-line field of editing, knowledgeable about what tricks you can pull with a computer when editing.

So, that's how I HAPPENED to drop in here for the nonce.

Ps. You guys had in made in Film Forum.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2007, 05:55:09 PM »

Don't know the Janeway joke, but yeah, same guys, painfully unfunny redneck fake good 'ol boy accents from typical radio jerks and often sprinkled with NASCAR and black charicature humor.  I only listen some mornings just as a flip around from ESPN or NPR--still have terrestrial radio, embarrassing, but true, keep meaning to trade in the Pathflounder and get a real system complete w/IPOD READY and SATELLITE FRIENDLY, but I kind of like the non-format format of Alternative, or Soft Rock, or ROCK ROCK, or POP, I mean I like to see what bleeds into the other and, as much as I like some of the satellite channels, I mean, I don't want to hear Beck, and then Frank Black, and then, etc., I mean, I LIKE ROCK, and I don't want to hear a mix tape of all YOUR FAVOURITE ALT ROCK, etc., and then I get to listen to something like Peter Frampton "Woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand/What wine?/  Whose wine?/Let's do it again..." that kind of shit is just too hilarious to pass up, and you love it, and then I find like "Black Hole Sun" which is also so funny as a ROCK ANTHEM and as a legitimate rocker where you're singing along, I like formatted radio, plus we have one decent station in Charleston, SC, 96Wave, which combines hippie, subaru, alt, reggae, basically pothead with a little punk, but anyway, yeah, I hate morning shows, even the ESPN one because Mike and Mike are such morons, anyway, I'm going on psychological vacation for about three weeks, so be prepared for non seq. and incoherency boy, including lies about films like "Alabama Slammer" being greenlighted by Fox Searchlight and other delusions and fabrications...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2007, 06:00:56 PM »

Yeah, the NYTFF never even put me on probation or moderated, though I was cozy with the Girls of Sysops and almost released a calender for '02 of semi-nude and scantily clad female moderators, the idea was for a tasteful exploration of the female form by pictures and then assigning one picture to each month, in other words Melanie Franklin was wearing what amounted to a fishnet bikini and was set for June when the money caved, but anyway, no, I had a very fluid and genial relationship with the SYSTEM OPERATORS, no prob.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2007, 09:01:40 PM »

jbottle,

No big joke on the Janeway thing - I picked up bux's book, and that's my Star Trek TV alter ego. (part shameless plug for the book, part utter relief I didn't come out as Data, a Klingon, or Frank Gorshin)

You're not alone in terrestrial radio world -- I like it, though.  If I just listen to stuff I already know I like, how do I hear any new stuff to like or hate?  So I like to hear what's out there, even the crap.  Plus around here, you need the local traffic report. But I have to agree, a lot of morning drive radio just stinks.

Who is the NYTFF people keep referring to?  Sounds vaguely familiar, but just can't seem to place it....
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »

Oh, I misquoted Peter Frampton, "where the hell did I dine" should have been included in the joke, so for purists, no need to argue.  For scumbag lurkers, no need to persist.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2007, 10:21:31 AM »

Someone wants "Senior Member" really bad.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »

Well, the race is on and here comes Pride up the backstraigt, My Heart is going for the inside...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »

Derrida is throwing out text without "received meaning"!

Foucault is....oh my god ladies and gentlemen! he just typing random sentences!  There went another one! 

And here come the chimpanzees with typewriters on the outside....

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2007, 12:12:01 PM »

....and the big chimp in the middle of the pack has just typed Wittgenstein's Tractatus with only fourteen typos!  What are the odds?

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2007, 12:16:32 PM »

Trojan, I was also one of the few, the proud, the viewers of Max Headroom.  I got a chuckle from learning that the series title resulted from one of the writers being in London and noticing a sign in the tube station that said "Max. Head Room...."

Absolutely.  And in fact they used that in the premiere episode.  It's been too many years and I don't remeber the "human" character's name anymore, but he had some sort of head trauma and that was the last thing He saw - A sign that said Max Head Room... (6ft or whtaever)  and that last site traslated into the online character's memory and he kept repeating it in a daze and they assumed that this was his name and then it became so...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »

Trojan, great list.   

Trivia:  A featured character from Briscoe County Jr. showed up as an eventually  regular character on Lost.  (Both produced by Carlton Cuse)  Anyone care to name the actor, or which character he played on either show?

Great trivia - I didn;t know it was the same producer.   I don;t remember the episode - but it had to be the guy that plays "Locke" now.  He has done soooo many cameo's and bit parts over the years - and many, many Westerns...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »

I don't know which came first, but I prefer The Addams Family to The Munsters.  The Addams humor is more pointed, less broad - and some of it stands up remarkably well. 

As an adult, I agree 100%.  BUt when I was watching those shows originally, I was just a little kid and I think the Munsters was the rip off (made entirely for TV) and directed more at children...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »

Next Sunday, watch "John from Cinncinnati" if you like to catalogue the decline of Western Civilization.

what network?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »

Next Sunday, watch "John from Cinncinnati" if you like to catalogue the decline of Western Civilization.

what network?

HBO -- it's the new one from David Milch, I believe.  Which is too bad if it really does suck, because I like a lot of Milch's stuff. 

Apropos of almost nothing -- I met Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) once.  He was visiting someone who lived at a private beach where I worked, and I had to find him parking on a Sunday afternoon.  (talk about a horror story!)  But he drove up in a VW bug convertible, not the Munstermobile, with a wife and semi-grown son.  Mr. Gwynne recognized me as the right age group to know and love Herman, so he let out a Herman Munster "Ha-ha-ha" -- I smiled and pretended to like it because I was afraid to tell the guy I really hated his show. He himself was very nice, and I appreciate his, uh...relating or whatever that was.  Just one more wacky beach story from the archives.

And even though I like Munsters better now than I did when I was a kid -- and mostly for Grandpa -- I still like the Addamses better.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »

Harrie, I believe that would be M.C. Gainey, aka Tom Friendly, aka the angry truck driver (Cammi's husband) running after Paul Giamatti naked in "Sideways."  AKA the demented henchman of J.T. Walsh in Breakdown or whatever that was called with Kurt Russell and Kathleen Quinlan AKA a zillion other shady characters.   I can't remember his role's name in Brisco County, but I did like that show.  Bruce Campbell and John Astin -- how can you go wrong? 

Ok...that's a real possibility also...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 91
  Print  

Jump to: