Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 10:17:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14191 times)
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »

mostly, he cussed out callers who disagreed with him, particularly on terrorism-related issues, fought the ny prison system as the 'gulag', tried to get people to write to prisoners, hung up on anyone who was an identified jew supporting israel--as opposed to what he was, a self-hating jew who supported anyone who opposed israel [hence my profound dislike], and bellowed endlessly for the day when the 'progressives' would take power in america and rebuke the entrenched ruling classes who controlled the media and prevented the progressives from being heard.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: June 25, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »

Yeah, I think that the actress is probably a lesbian, but I think her character was just testing the guy to see what he was about--that was the first time it had occurred to me that she could be heterosexual, but maybe I am just mixing up the "butch" fascade or identity with the "punk" fascade or identity.  Her acting sure was terrible in that scene--"...[furrows brow] don't do that again..."
or maybe just the writing, but as I recall when you "see God" it's a lot like shackles and hot, or whatever she said, which seemed a lot more like hell, but anyway, I still maintain that "...if heaven ain't a lot like Dixie, I don' wanna' go..."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2007, 11:17:23 AM »

Hey law, thanks for the information.  (Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but last night was our annual observance of the Battle of Little Big Horn.)   My take on it is....

mostly, he cussed out callers who disagreed with him,  - standard talk radio procedure

particularly on terrorism-related issues,  - optional talk radio procedure

fought the ny prison system as the 'gulag', - I may not totally disagree with him here, depending on circumstances

tried to get people to write to prisoners,  - I may not totally disagree with him here either, depending on certain circumstances

hung up on anyone who was an identified jew supporting israel--as opposed to what he was, a self-hating jew who supported anyone who opposed israel [hence my profound dislike],  -- okay, that's not cool

and bellowed endlessly for the day when the 'progressives' would take power in america and rebuke the entrenched ruling classes who controlled the media and prevented the progressives from being heard. - I may not totally disagree on this point either, except that "progressives" sounds like just another group who wants control of the media, rather than providing some sort of availability and/or control of said media to the general citizenry

I'm not trying to be stubborn, difficult, stupid, obstinate or whatever, but nobody's perfect and everybody has faults.  So in spite of my disagreeing with (probably) many of Grandpa's points of view, and despite the fact that I was lukewarm on The Munsters to begin with, I have a tough time hating the guy in the basement laboratory who took advantage of his right/opportunity/you name it to voice his views.  Wrong, politically and/or morally as I may think some of them are.

law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2007, 02:04:59 PM »

totally no problem, because i was just sharing my own dislike for the old coot and not lookong for anyone to agree.  i felt like i knew the guy well, because i listened to his program every saturday for years on the drive back from my tennis, which was indoors from september to june and about 20 minutes of al lewis away from my home.

i have a compulsion to tune to radio at the extremes, to people i can't stomach, like the pacifica leftists and the radio fundamentalists who want me to clearly understand that i'm headed straight for an eternity of unspeakable horrors if i don't take the offer jesus is making to me to cover me on my sins.
sugarblues

K. I. S. S.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2007, 03:24:24 PM »

Military Wives - Caught this show over the weekend.  I enjoyed the story lines and the actors.  It sure beats the reality shows!
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »

Military Wives - Caught this show over the weekend.  I enjoyed the story lines and the actors.  It sure beats the reality shows!

sugar--what channel is that on?  Is it good? My daughter-in-law is a military wife.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »

Tuned in last night and CBS seems to be running something with Tom Selleck (big city cop flees problems to be small town cop) sort of along the lines of the Mystery Movies they ran when I was a teen and young man, e.g. McCloud, Columbo, McMillan & Wife.   Somewhere in the usual tv movie bilge (he can talk to alienated teenagers, he has an old dog that dies, etc.) Selleck manages to create a somewhat conflicted and boozy cop who wears his imperfection with some charm.  Not great, but watchable if you're stuck at home with a sprained ankle and you're fresh out of reading material.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2007, 03:24:04 PM »

I could see Tom Selleck in a reprise of McMillan and Wife, although I have to admit to liking NBC's Mystery Theatre at the time.  It was a rather novel idea of having alternating shows each week, each running 90 minutes I believe.  But, somehow Hec Ramsey lost me.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2007, 03:25:14 PM »

BTW, Barton, welcome to the club.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »

barton

One would never run out of reading material at my house; I am considerably back-logged; but I did catch Selleck playing the ghost of the father of the family known as, Brothers & Sisters, this last season(that is before summer started, if it has?).

They tried very hard to come up with every contemporary probability that can happen to one family at one time with that many family-members, starting with the premise that Dad had afflicted them with the current problem that kicks off the show.  They become filthy rich because he was messing around.   It's got a little bit of everything, including a still hanging in there Peter Coyote trying to seduce Mom who is taking writing classes from him.  Rachel Griffith is fascinating to watch, as now almost a normal wife and mother,less makeup does the trick,following her long run in, "Six Feet Under". There are lots of new faces in the cast as the children of Sally Fields, one of whose daughters is Ally McBeale to Rob Lowe as a Republican Senator -- this is to make Republicanism look good and conservative.  Strangely, however, we have not seen anyone looking even vaguely attractive as Rob Lowe anywere on the national political scene in the last 6 and 1/2 years! You can't take this real seriously; think of it as entirely just entertainment with Patricia Wettig as the "other woman", which is food for thought, but what did Tom Selleck ever see in her?

INTERESTINGLY, BECAUSE HE IS ACTUALLY DEAD, in this series, he has a way of popping up, at the dinner table when they think fondly of him, although one begins to suspect that it is because they think fondly of him that he is able to appear to us, the audience; they don't see that he is here, although they have brought him here.

This ingenious dodge has allowed him to do whatever else he had to do, possibly the series that you saw last night? And all he had to do was put in an appearance at the end of the dinner table, strictly from the script, on camera to be recorded and edited into the series, for several occasions when he has something to say  and have the last word on whatever situation they have gotten themselves into and are squabbeling about.

You will have to look for this under re-runs, as the summer "progresses"?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2007, 06:33:27 PM »

Tuned in last night and CBS seems to be running something with Tom Selleck (big city cop flees problems to be small town cop) sort of along the lines of the Mystery Movies they ran when I was a teen and young man, e.g. McCloud, Columbo, McMillan & Wife.   Somewhere in the usual tv movie bilge....

Hey, that's funny.  Yesterday I semi-watched a show that I can't justify in any way as being good, but I kind of liked. It was called Burn Notice, a USA original series. That's kind of a kiss of death, huh? 

Basic Plot:  An FBI guy realizes he's being booted from the agency; but they don't just let you leave, they strip you of everything you have because outside the agency, you're dangerous to them.  It would be better if they killed you, but they don't. So this guy takes on rinky-dink PI jobs to make some quick cash to try and get his life back, or some kind of life or whatever.

I don't like the gimmicky thing where they chyron a character's name and how he figures in the story when they introduce him/her; Burn Notice does this.  I don't like the use of interrmittent corny, hardboiled guy commentary; Burn Notice does this too.  Nevertheless, and not just necessarily because nothing else was on because I could always pop in a DVD or play music, I stuck with it and didn't hate it.  Maybe it was the bit part by Bruce Campbell.  Either way, I might check it out again.  Who knows? It might suck the next time around.

Hope the ankle feels better, barton.  Remember, RICE - Rest Ice Elevation Compression.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2007, 08:01:03 PM »

barton

One would never run out of reading material at my house; I am considerably back-logged; but I did catch Selleck playing the ghost of the father of the family known as, Brothers & Sisters, this last season(that is before summer started, if it has?).

They tried very hard to come up with every contemporary probability that can happen to one family at one time with that many family-members, starting with the premise that Dad had afflicted them with the current problem that kicks off the show.  They become filthy rich because he was messing around.   It's got a little bit of everything, including a still hanging in there Peter Coyote trying to seduce Mom who is taking writing classes from him.  Rachel Griffith is fascinating to watch, as now almost a normal wife and mother,less makeup does the trick,following her long run in, "Six Feet Under". There are lots of new faces in the cast as the children of Sally Fields, one of whose daughters is Ally McBeale to Rob Lowe as a Republican Senator -- this is to make Republicanism look good and conservative.  Strangely, however, we have not seen anyone looking even vaguely attractive as Rob Lowe anywere on the national political scene in the last 6 and 1/2 years! You can't take this real seriously; think of it as entirely just entertainment with Patricia Wettig as the "other woman", which is food for thought, but what did Tom Selleck ever see in her?

INTERESTINGLY, BECAUSE HE IS ACTUALLY DEAD, in this series, he has a way of popping up, at the dinner table when they think fondly of him, although one begins to suspect that it is because they think fondly of him that he is able to appear to us, the audience; they don't see that he is here, although they have brought him here.

This ingenious dodge has allowed him to do whatever else he had to do, possibly the series that you saw last night? And all he had to do was put in an appearance at the end of the dinner table, strictly from the script, on camera to be recorded and edited into the series, for several occasions when he has something to say  and have the last word on whatever situation they have gotten themselves into and are squabbeling about.

You will have to look for this under re-runs, as the summer "progresses"?

Skerrit, genius
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2007, 12:25:51 AM »

I can see now why so many Twin Peakers were furious with Lynch when he came out with "Firewalk with Me," essentially going back to the beginning of the series rather than take a stab at resolving the many cliffhangers left at the end of the series, not least of all Agent Cooper's lamentable visage in the mirror.  It was fun watching the series all over again, because Twin Peaks really did become the template for a new era of television viewing.  Without it, I don't think we would have gotten the creative zeal that infected television from time to time over the past 15+ years.  Not to mention the quantum leap in production values.  Unfortunately, seeing it all over again leaves more questions than it does answers.  The first 18 episodes (including the pilot) were tightly wound and pretty easy to resolve in one's mind, like the first two-thirds of Mulholland Drive, but the next 12 episodes ventured into another realm all together, presaging the eeriness of X-Files and the warped suburban bliss of Picket Fences and Desperate Housewives.  The series began to spin out in all sorts of directions.  Apparently, Lynch never wanted to resolve the death of Laura Palmer, but rather leave it hanging as he explored the recesses of his dark Peyton Place in some mystical corner of the state of Washington.  But, ABC was hungry for resolutions so Mark Frost provided one in the case of Laura Palmer, after which it was no holds barred, and I guess TP lost a lot of viewers with its unresolved chess matches; the sadistic brutality with which Windom Earl treated his charge Leo, almost making you feel sympathetic for the poor oaf who seemed to discover a love for his bride which he didn't exhibit before; and Agent Cooper's complete inability to foresee a crime taking place even when the giant emphatically waves his hands NO to the idea of his beloved Annie competing in Miss Twin Peaks.  In this memorable set of closing events we do come to understand how Cooper let his once dear Caroline slip away from him.  About the only resolution that takes place in the hallucenogenic final episode.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2007, 02:06:39 AM »

kidcarter,#569

Yes, Skerritt. But does it matter?  As long as you are enjoying yourself, you didn't even notice the obvious "oh,oh" that amounts to Callista Flockhardt opposite Rob Lowe.

Well, of course, it matters.  Tom Skerritt has the attractive mustache which conveys warmth without stale tobacco; whereas Tom Selleck has the moustache that isn't without, especially conveying the impression of the supercilious egotist.

But who cares when I go from "Mow-ron" to "genious" almost overnight.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: July 02, 2007, 09:51:30 AM »

I didn't really run out reading material.  We're talking more intellectual laziness here.  One reason I don't have cable is to help reduce temptation and keep the boob tube off as much as possible.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: