Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 06:49:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 27657 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: July 03, 2007, 05:01:49 AM »

Quoting Shelley (Satan Broken Loose) was one of the many wonderful conceits of Lynch in Twin Peaks, along with the interplay between Windom Earl, Leo and Shelly Johnson.  It seemed that Windom was hoping to take Shelly with him to the Red Room, which appeared to jog some latent love in Leo for his betrothed.  The whole thing had the feel of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which supposedly revolved around the menage a troi between the Shelleys and Byron as played out in Gothic.  I suppose to many things to think about for the average television viewer, which was why Twin Peaks so quickly came to its untimely end.
cincy--man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2007, 10:42:43 AM »

On PBS tonight:  special on Lucille Ball: "Finding Lucy". She was one of a kind and we will never see her likes again!  What great memories Lucy brings to me!
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: July 06, 2007, 09:35:35 AM »

Chew got some splainin' to do.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: July 06, 2007, 06:18:44 PM »

despite the fact that I was lukewarm on The Munsters to begin with,

So does this mean you like The Munsters now?  Smiley
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: July 06, 2007, 06:21:33 PM »

a USA original series. That's kind of a kiss of death, huh? 

Not at all Harrie...

I think USA has some of the best stuff runnning...

Did you catch "Psyche" at all last season?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: July 06, 2007, 08:35:34 PM »

And for you Sopranos fans...here is yet another review of the final episode...

http://author.nationalreview.com/latest/?q=MjE0Ng==
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: July 06, 2007, 08:40:01 PM »

despite the fact that I was lukewarm on The Munsters to begin with,

So does this mean you like The Munsters now?  Smiley

No, I just never liked them.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2007, 03:20:12 AM »

And for you Sopranos fans...here is yet another review of the final episode...

http://author.nationalreview.com/latest/?q=MjE0Ng==

This is exactly what I meant, over in Movies.
"There was no pictorial, no dramatic end to The Sopranos because its point was to depict life (a) as practiced by the Mafia, and (b) as tolerated,..."

What Buckley does here is inexcusable. When he gets to (b) as his raison d'etre for feeling as he does about the production he reviews, you might as well skip this last after thought of his because he infers for you that there is something obviously more wrong about the Mafia(as practiced, as tolerated)

"...and in fact swooned over, by the viewing public.",

than there is about the whole criminently of our involvement in Iraq.

One is fiction (no doubt about a fact); the other is reality.

We have this whole class of intellectuals who have to repress this reality because of their political convictions.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2007, 09:01:08 PM »

"Flight Of The Conchords"

I didn't think for a minute that I'd like this show, but as it turns out I like it a lot.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2007, 11:42:48 PM »

Yeah, the songs are funny, in a Bee Gees, white funk kind of way, it's not perfect, but it doesn't make mistakes of doing something really clanging too often, a good balance of laughs and some uncomfortable moments where you are at the edge of cringing just when they pull back and put in another good joke.  Agree.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2007, 09:29:35 AM »

Seems like there is much a Plasma v. LCD competition going on as there is a Blue-ray for HD DVD competition. I was pricing plasma and LCD tv's today and it seems you get more for your money with a plasma television.  They are heavier and run hotter, but there appears to be better overall picture quality.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »

Yeah, the songs are funny, in a Bee Gees, white funk kind of way, it's not perfect, but it doesn't make mistakes of doing something really clanging too often, a good balance of laughs and some uncomfortable moments where you are at the edge of cringing just when they pull back and put in another good joke.  Agree.

The central joke is the whole "Bret and Jemaine are fishoutofwater New trying to make it as musicians in NYC" thing, and for some reason that really works for me.  It sets the stage for the whole self-deprecation thing, what with their pathetic "gigs", their one-person "fan base", the crappy apartment, etc.

The kicker for me is the clueless "band manager," who has a desk job with a small desk in a small office working for the NZ tourism commission or something like that.   Some of the best jokes are when he imparts advice to the two guys, because he's been there longer than they have, about how to succeed/survive in NYC. 

I can see how the whole non-stop deadpan thing might get tiresome, but they address that in the 3rd episode ("Mugged"), when they eulogize Jemaine, mistakenly thinking he was killed by a mugger.  They recall and laugh at how he used say "Wot" ("what") and "Win" ("when") in monotone all the time. 

The whole "song interlude" thing is something I thought might suck, but I've actually liked all of the songs.  I can't recall any specific lyrics, but I remember several times thinking "that was pretty clever" about one line or another. 

Anyways, I'm hooked... New episodes Sunday nights at 10:30 - I'll try to report back as soon as it's done.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: July 08, 2007, 10:59:06 PM »

I was hit with a flash about eight minutes into Big Love (HBO) tonight, that Twin Peak -ers are of a fantasy appreciative mindset; and if they looked at Big Love, they might flash on  the similarity.  Once again making fun of the folks who live in rusticated oblivion -- that there is the least thing a little strange about them. In fact, in  Big Love  they accept that God wants them to live as they do; and, the irony of it, in our day and age, is how closely it approximates Muslim beliefs, without ever trying to be like them in the least. Just doing what God wants them to do.  It's endlessly fascinating; and I'm sure the quirkiness of the
personalities will be recognisable to fans of Twin Peaks.

Harry Dean Stanton, Mary Kay Place, Grace Zabriskie, Jeanne Tripplehorn,Chloe Sevigny,Bill Paxton, all excellent comedians, and dozens of other people their best in a funny situation,
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2007, 06:19:33 PM »

I didn't really run out reading material.  We're talking more intellectual laziness here.  One reason I don't have cable is to help reduce temptation and keep the boob tube off as much as possible.

Then you're not going to be especially helpful contributing to the Television section, eh?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »

I didn't really run out reading material.  We're talking more intellectual laziness here.  One reason I don't have cable is to help reduce temptation and keep the boob tube off as much as possible.

Then you're not going to be especially helpful contributing to the Television section, eh?

Hey, barton watches the tube a bit -- LOST and House come to mind, I'm sure there're more. It being rerun season, I'm not even watching much TV -- mostly movies.  And one of my nicknames is Mike TeeVee, so that's something! (no, I'm not really pretending to be some kind of authority) 

Even though off-season original series are available -- like Rescue Me, the Glenn Close one, Monk, Burn Notice -- none of them are looking that interesting to me. 

And so ends my official dashed-sentence post.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 95
  Print  

Jump to: