Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 16, 2018, 12:19:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 14111 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2007, 04:03:18 PM »

The Lost hiatus (doesn't resume until February, actually) is a bit painful, but the finale of Season Three gives you plenty to ruminate over.  Why they are holding it until December is beyond me.  Are there any episodes available on the ABC website, that you could download?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »

Over at IMDB, one of today's links is "The 10 Best Actors on TV"  -- one of them is Michael Emerson (Lost's Ben) and another is Hugh Laurie.  Of course.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »

He gets your attention.    But, one night, I TURNED him off and, since, realize he just overacts.  He is a nice pleasant man when you catch his interviews about his career. But his character for House is more energy you wish might go to the energy-crunch instead of overplaying the part.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2007, 04:18:02 PM »

The Lost hiatus (doesn't resume until February, actually) is a bit painful, but the finale of Season Three gives you plenty to ruminate over.  Why they are holding it until December is beyond me.  Are there any episodes available on the ABC website, that you could download?

They have the final four episodes of the season but that doesn't help me any since I haven't watched any of them from that season yet.

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2007, 09:00:25 PM »

Trojanhorse, re:#298

One of the funniest programs, I caught in passing, the other night was the Spanish Language channel doing  one of those Tibetan lama wandering in the lanscape things when a flying Taoist shaman shows up to talk with him.

I was on a cruise a few years back and when the boat passed below a certain latitude, it started picking up the Central American ESPN feed...  Most of what I wanted to watch was not available -- USC football game news, but there were a few things that were interesting.  Commercials were VERY different...

When I was a youngster, my family went to Europe and I recall the German TV being very, very different back then.   There were no commercials interupting the programs and most of the commercials were little animated deals...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »

Okay, so Comcast finally took over my local cable TV franchise, fired almost all my friends who worked there, and is now taking down channels but not replacing them with anything.  So now I, like most other Americans, really hate my cable provider. 

My question is:  Are DirecTV, Dish, or whoever any better?  Or is it all the same essentially -- lots of money, no customer service?   Dumb question:  we have two TVs, do they have to be watching the same thing all the time? Or can you, with one subscription (and maybe a splitter or AB switch) watch different things at the same time?  Legally, that is. 

If anyone has satellite service and would like to clue me in as to the real pluses and minuses -- not just the endless pluses that are advertised --  I'd greatly appreciate it.   Thank you!
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2007, 11:36:01 AM »

And thank you, nytempsperdu, for supplying the name of the art show.  I mightily enjoyed jbottle's description, and now know what to look for.   
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2007, 12:45:35 PM »

Oh, it's really funny, and intentionally funny, but the guy's voice is hilarious, and the real kicker is that the series is also engrossing and good.  I had like one art class in college and have been to a few museums like I saw the Degas exhibit at the Tate in London this one time and have been to the Louvre, but I don't know anything about art, really, so for me the show is easily digestible and for the most part wholly new information regarding anything but say their supposedly greatest few paintings.

But mainly it's the host who kills me, he never smiles and his humor is completely in how he says things.  Dryly funny, I guess, but also a full-fledged knowledgeable art snob that is proud as a peacock of that fact. 

I suggest you catch it, harrie, and all, the Rembrant one was really good, and again, to me, funny.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: July 13, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »

Oh, it's really funny, and intentionally funny, but the guy's voice is hilarious, and the real kicker is that the series is also engrossing and good.  I had like one art class in college and have been to a few museums like I saw the Degas exhibit at the Tate in London this one time and have been to the Louvre, but I don't know anything about art, really, so for me the show is easily digestible and for the most part wholly new information regarding anything but say their supposedly greatest few paintings.

But mainly it's the host who kills me, he never smiles and his humor is completely in how he says things.  Dryly funny, I guess, but also a full-fledged knowledgeable art snob that is proud as a peacock of that fact. 

I suggest you catch it, harrie, and all, the Rembrant one was really good, and again, to me, funny.

You betcha.  The Rembrandt episode shows this Sunday at 9pm here.  Consider it marked.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2007, 01:48:33 PM »

Unless white folks are going to support network "Gray's Anatomy", to keep Shonda Rimes viable, the black community has told her to shove it.

Some blog host who insipidly wanted to find out with whom would the ladies replace Dr.Preston Burke  blew it, despite shuffling the posts around in hopes of a consensus on likeable studs to compare with his own specifications, when his blog column morphed into a protest movement  against the firing of a decent actor who kept everybody tuning in.  The television viewer who happens to be black has decided they will not be watching Gray's Anatomy for the nonce; which probably means Shonda Rimes will take at least a 10% cut in take-home pay, while they boycott the sponsors as well.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2007, 01:49:43 PM »

If anyone has satellite service and would like to clue me in as to the real pluses and minuses -- not just the endless pluses that are advertised --  I'd greatly appreciate it.   Thank you!

I think it is basically comparable with "Digital Cable" service.  These two services seem to have similar features now -- like you can still watch your current show while you are scanning to see what else is on.   Not sure on the DVR for satelitte service, cable obviously has this as an option.

Satelitte service can suffer a bit  in bad weather -- though I've had cable go completely out when it rains hard before...

With Satelitte you "can" take the dish with you for camping or whatever also -- that's the main plus for that one I would say...and this is probably the only reason I would switch back.  Watch ESPN at the USC tailgates!

I have an unused dish from several years ago outside as I switched back to digital cable with DVR and am very satisfied with it.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2007, 02:08:42 PM »

In my area, things could be worse than rain.  In order to catch up to the program shown at 9pm in your area, In Pursuit of Art, I have to get up before 5am showing tomorrow. I hadn't even realized Schama was on. Just want to look at the author of so many once avante garde books.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: July 13, 2007, 05:14:37 PM »

The beauty of DVR...

Last Friday, I forwarded to Saturday Morning on the channel guide and selected the prologue of The Tour de France.  I clicked on record the entire series;

then, record first occurance only;

then, since the first showing in the morning is essentially a "live" sporting event, I program to record one hour beyond scheduled event time.

Then each evening, after the 5 year old is down, I can run through 3+ hours of programming in a little over an hour and feel like I haven't really missed a thing.

a perfect tool for a busy life...

say, why don;t we have cycling in the sports forums anyway?  or even just "misc"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2007, 11:08:30 PM »

So, "John From Cincinnati" last night hinted at a cacophany of characters as jazz instruments, if chaos is elemental and communication rare and fleeting or misunderstood or misinterpreted, then ordinary drama is only a product of people seeking things, whereas, in "John," all of the characters on some level are seeking redemption, so I guess if you were a fan you would call "John From Cinncinnati, a human jazz song about the possibility of redemption from what appears like certain chaos and meaningless effluvium.....

So, I don't like JFC, but it's kind of like the album of a band you like, where you are listening and giving them the benefit of the doubt, so that when you ultimately make the decision that, yeah, the album DOES SUCK, you know in excruciating detail exactly why.  You just have to know.  I was such a fan of "Deadwood," and the humor, that I thought that David Milch was capable of anything, but it seems so far as if the object of his affection is not within his reach, at least with this cast and unfortunately, the words in their mouths.

For a second because we haven't seen Bruce Greenwood I was wondering if all of the characters were a brain lesion dream or something, last night's episode was especially weird where I was trying to imagine order out of the, you know, cacophany, but when the writers don't lead you there they aren't telling a story anymore, in my opinion, but opening up a sort of high-school diary of insecurity and fear:  I don't want to know about it, LA, sorry.  I'm not on meth, not schizophrenic, and don't live among burnouts and marginal hippie types, not that I don't have my own peculiar menagerie to deal with but it's not that, and that doesn't resonate. 

Unfortunately other than the meth dealer there's not a single character who I care to watch, which would be interesting in a way if the writing staff is as "spun" as they seem to be......

Maybe I've just ritualized the time slot.....I need my HBO Sunday, but sheesh.....
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2007, 10:03:22 AM »

So my local PBS station lied, and the Rembrandt episode of the art show didn't run Sunday night.  Last night was David's "The Death of Marat."  I may have mauled the painting title -- sorry.  The host was a little wiggy, but we actually liked the show a lot and will probably make a point of catching the last couple of episodes - I think that's all that's left.  Thanks, jbottle!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: