Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 10:28:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 19775 times)
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »

Harrie, I, too, watched the David pbs episode strictly because of the noise generated here about the series, and I am now sorry that I haven't been watching the while.  "The Death of Marat" is haunting, isn't it.  I loved the way they kept going back to it over and over.  Of course, some of the program was lost to me as I kept nodding off--as is my wont--not from lack of interest (I don't even know I'm doing it) but from a slowed heart rate causing lack of circulation.  Hopefully the series will run again.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: July 17, 2007, 05:07:46 PM »

You won't believe this but I gave Schama a bad review over in Art.

Although the program is very good, art is not his forte, as a cultural historian. 

The production that they did on PBS of the, Power of Art, previously--
about Rembrandt was the most magnificent television video-shoot of Amsterdam ever, although Schama was more into the secret sex-life of Rembrandt van Rijn, the work of the crew made you want to run right out and go to Amsterdam, oh,well, maybe go by ship? What is a safe way to travel these days?
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: July 17, 2007, 05:17:01 PM »

FOTC still hasn't gotten old on me, although some themes are already being re-cycled.  You gotta wonder how often the Girlfriends will be replaced.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2007, 05:46:43 PM »

donotremove
"some of the program was lost to me as I kept nodding off-"

I do that at times but it wasn't POA, because I caught Rembrandt which means that for once I agree with jbottle!

Since I have the same problem as somebody else around here who has been conditioned for the 9:00pm fix on Sundays, I lost poor Ms.Marple at some point although I notice Julian Sands is making auditions to work at something,anything, again to earn a living.  That was just enough snooze so that I could zing back to HBO and and catch the whole extensive family of Big Love, who are finally getting down to the nitty-gritty from their writers.

Rhonda screaming tantrums at her sleep-over until she gets her way, after a week of sleeping on the street as a runaway from "the compound".

Joey sleeping on the couch at the home of his brother, whose first wife covers him with a throw and then tip-toes away because he is her number One admiration society as she is beginning to notice.

Jeanne Tripplethorn then goes to visit his wife at the mental hospital where Grace Zabriskie has had her committed before planning a second wife for Joey as there is a new widow available  on, "the compound".
(only to learn that Joey's wife, who is getting well prefers it that way)

And Chloe Sevigny going through a religious crisis because she has an arrangement as second wife of Bill Paxton that one of their little blond boys will go to Catholic School so that her husband can be seen "somewhere" with her in public as his wife.   (Got that, or was it too complex for you, non-viewers out there(?), as I know donotremove understands completely who these people are.)

This is the first we've heard that Margie, or Marjean, or Marjo also went to Catholic school (or her mother was a Catholic,whichever) but years before that baptism  "in our swimming pool" as Chloe sums it up.

Best acting, Harry Dean Stanton picking up a phone in what seems the dark of night as he putters with his many ventures from his lonely desk. He does this slowly, listens carefully and asks, "Rhonda?" before the phone is hung up by Chloe Sevigny, his daughter recently disowned by her mother, Mary Kay Place.  This man deserves an acting award with the highest honors for this series, if he hasn't won one already.

This is Sunday night Prime Time soap opera as it should have been when it was strictly a day time feature at the beginning of television. Back when we were too sophisticated to watch anything of the kind!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2007, 05:49:18 PM »

FOTC still hasn't gotten old on me, although some themes are already being re-cycled.  You gotta wonder how often the Girlfriends will be replaced.

I am totally hooked.  I'm really hoping it doesn't get old, because you gotta have a Sunday night ablution or whatever, and "John From Cincinatti" is not so good, AFAICT.

I'm not much of a "Big Love" fan, but that Serbian waitress is amazingly cute.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: July 17, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »

I am totally hooked.  I'm really hoping it doesn't get old, because you gotta have a Sunday night ablution or whatever, and "John From Cincinatti" is not so good, AFAICT.

I'm not much of a "Big Love" fan, but that Serbian waitress is amazingly cute.

I don't like Big Love and JFC took a turn for the worse last week... (thanks for ruining Rebecca DeMornay for me forever, is there not ONE scene where she doesn't look like someone shoved a broomstick up her ass?) ... the acting is either horrible, or barely good enough to disguise the horrible writing.  Ed O'Neill is the only reason to watch.

FOTC seems like they're going to run out of material soon.  Gigs and Girlfriends drive those two.  You can make a pretty entertaining series for a little while with that much to work with, but what else can happen week to week to keep the show fresh?

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
aeaton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2007, 12:11:07 AM »

I've never posted here before.  Hello.

Anyone watch Scrubs?  I never did until this summer, and reruns are on all the time, so I'm enjoying a huge dose of it.  I love the mix of over the top humor and pathos.  The acting is wonderful, especially the older doctors, Cox and Kelso.  Hilarious.
elportenito

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: July 18, 2007, 12:30:24 AM »

Hi, I'm not that new, I used to be at the old NYT forums as fetuciniconalio, fasulo1,elportenito and bocajuniors. My question is:

Does anyone know how and where to get DVD's (or even old videos) of the series Route 66, the first series with Martin Millner and George Maharis?
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2007, 08:02:40 AM »

...but what else can happen week to week to keep the show fresh?

The "fish out of water in NYC" thing and the "dedicated/diligent yet ineffective band manager" thing are both good for a few seasons at least.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: July 18, 2007, 01:27:38 PM »

Zut, kam. I hope you are not voting for Romney.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »

I dont vote unless i get time off from work. 

-Dave Attell
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »

i was walking through the rain from 11th and 56th to my office at 53rd and 5th this morning, after dropping off the car for service, and happened upon the letterman street, 53rd between 8th and broadway.  there in the deli next to the sullivan theater was the deli guy behing the counter!  here i thought he was a professional and the deli was a prop, because anytime i'd ever been down that block before, the deli was closed.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: July 18, 2007, 02:23:31 PM »

Law120b

New ownership?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: July 18, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »

kam re:#329,

Maybe you are working for the "wrong employer", if they don't provide the opportunity for you to vote.  But then, a job is a job. The last people who suppressed the vote during the last two elections, had their reasons for designing the work situation that prevails today with no time off for less pay during inflation as well.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: July 18, 2007, 03:17:15 PM »

no, the guy behind the counter was the little asian guy with the embarrassed smile who's always on the show.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: