Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 25, 2018, 03:15:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26126 times)
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2007, 03:56:39 PM »

I saw the end of that show last night with one of the N'Sync or Backstreet boys hosting some kind of karaoke singing competition. It was horriful.  I blame this obsession with reality TV on three shows.

Real World
Survivor
AMerican Idol

Those three shows by themselves might be all right, but the legion of "me-too" offerings make me want to do something crazy like turn off the TV and pick up a book. 

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: July 18, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »

no, the guy behind the counter was the little asian guy with the embarrassed smile who's always on the show.

AKA Rupert Jee?  A celebrity sighting, you lucky dog.  Years ago, we went to a Letterman taping, and the deli was open; maybe for some reason he keeps hours around the show.  Though from a business point of view, that makes no sense.  

We saw Jerry Orbach that day, too.  Plus the people who were on the show, of course.

That Singing Bee show -- I think that's the name -- is pretty horrible.  After a few G&Ts it's pretty funny though.  We've had a local access show for a couple years now called Karaoke in the Valley; it's taped footage of people in various stages of drunkenness doing karaoke at local watering holes. Now, that's entertainment!

Whoever watches Scrubs, I like it too. Gets a little preachy sometimes, and I could actually live without Zach Braff.  But I love John McGinley; despite the fact that he's in freakin' everything, somehow he never  gets too close to "overexposure" on my personal meter.   In real life, Dr. Kelso is married to someone that surprised me.  Now I can't remember who.  And maybe I don't know anything, which wouldn't surprise me, but I think Sarah Chalke is slightly underrated as a comedic actress.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 09:52:23 AM by harrie » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: July 18, 2007, 07:46:27 PM »

In real life, Dr. Kelso is married to someone that surprised me. 

It's Katharine Houghton, Katharine Hepburn's neice and the daughter who's going to marry Sidney Poitier in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?.   Dr. Kelso (real name Ken Jenkins, not to be confused with Jeopardy whiz Ken Jennings) is also a dog trainer; and when Dr. Kelso's dog Baxter is on the show, that's Ken Jenkins' real dog.  Thank you, IMDB.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: July 18, 2007, 10:22:32 PM »

harrie, re:#335

"We saw Jerry Ohrbach that day, too."     By a very weird coincidence, just a day or two ago, Bob at American History posted about Trinity Cemetery on Wall Street and happened to mention that  there is an additional cemetery uptown(after the old Colonial cemetery had no more space). On the link which has a web-site for the rectory office, the list of the famous interred at the new location included Jerry Ohrback who died  two years ago. I was willing to watch endless Law & Order just to see him be Lenny Brisco again. The New York Times had a special page remembering him with parts that he had played as a song and dance man on Broadway that included excerpts of him singing, Try to Remember when....
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: July 18, 2007, 10:51:48 PM »

harrie, re:#335

"We saw Jerry Ohrbach that day, too."     By a very weird coincidence, just a day or two ago, Bob at American History posted about Trinity Cemetery on Wall Street and happened to mention that  there is an additional cemetery uptown(after the old Colonial cemetery had no more space). On the link which has a web-site for the rectory office, the list of the famous interred at the new location included Jerry Ohrback who died  two years ago.

Well, when we saw him, he was alive (rimshot).  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  He was walking along -- probably lunch break -- and if you could catch up to him, he'd shake your hand and talk, but keep walking.  Very nice guy; I liked him a lot, too.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2007, 01:32:10 AM »

nytempsperdu, re:#339

What? You didn't show your son the Gerard Depardieu and son extravaganza that was on tv? It took me all these years to finally understand the import of the story. As I  viewed the film, occasionally one of those big balloons with striping decor would occasionally float by my windows which were also heavily draped with stripes to match. The best time to view the balloons popular with tourists, or the people who want to entice tourists up into the sky sufficiently enough to look over the landscape, is on a quiet Sunday morning when you open your front door and look out through the screen at the weather.

Then you catch sight of the  ballon as it approaches, descending lower and lower as it drifts toward the barn and you go, oh,my god, what if the basket hits the barn, what if it starts the field on fire?

One day, one eventually came down right outside my striped drape windows as I was sitting on my love-seat reading The New York Times. It was in the field that had already been harvested but still could present a hazard; and I was not suprised when my landlord who rents out the land to tenant farmers streaked toward his alley of maples, cut across the green, and under the pine acreage line into the field with his pickup truck to try and bring down that monster and weight it down before it drifted on the wind but at ground level possibly causing an inflagration or some other accident to a barn or--his precious airplanes in his airplane hanger.    He's gone now but the balloons are not, you can expect one inevitably will show up at some time because some fool has to see what things look like from up there. But I must confess that I completely forgot at one time and mistakenly referred to them  as a consequence of the "Montpellier brothers".
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2007, 09:31:56 AM »

We saw Jerry Ohrbach that day, too. 

Jerry Orbach was to "Celebrity Jeopardy!" as Michael Jordan was to basketball.
aeaton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »

harrie, thanks for the Scrubs info.  I adore Ken Jenkins.  He's brilliant.  I just googled "Scrubs" and "emmy" and was disappointed to see how little attention the show has gotten.  Jenkins should definitely get an emmy for his performances.  I know what you mean about Zach Braff, but he has his moments, and he's willing to humiliate himself, which counts for something.  Is John McGinley Dr. Cox?  He's also brilliant, going seamlessly from comedy to deep pathos in seconds.  Sarah Chalke is also the bomb.  She was on Roseanne briefly; I caught a clip the other day and her performance was pretty tame.  But she was replacing another actress and must have been quite young.  She is hilarious in Scrubs.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2007, 03:34:45 PM »

what's jerry orbach doing being dead in an episcopalian cemetary?  i wouldn't be caught dead there.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2007, 03:57:33 PM »

No, as you will notice from the Colonial origins, it is a High-Anglican cemetery,northern branch, and one of the first considerations for their finding a space for you is how your ratings are.  Now Jerry is the guy who would be my suggestion, as harrie said(rimshot) if only he were alive, rather than Fred Thompson for President. But then, Orbach did not strike me as a New York Republican type either.  I just simply adored his rejoinders. He reminded me of the guys who would take you to Times Square, if you let them. Television viewing kind of sets you up that way,so you better watch out if you are the least impressionable to a good con job, which acting is by the way.

I also think from what I've observed about show-business, that is a very nice concession to make, to having attained Fame, and space is hard to find in Manhattan, you know.  Jerry had previously married to a woman who I noted was Italian, and I can not for the life of me imagine many who opt for Anglicanisation.  Although I had a magazine-article -eventual book-writing room-mate from Lower Greenwich Village East
Side who had too perfectly good Italian parents(from Puglia, if I remember correctly)living in Brooklyn who turned Jehovah's Witness, so stranger things have happened. Because once she went to Rome and wrote a Holiday Magazine article or something, and went to trace where her parents came from in Apulia, she turned on a dime and converted to Catholicism just like that.

So what I'm really saying is that many people, where one is in show business and the other was used to a different life style, usually try to meet somewhere in the middle about all major decisions in life; or, in death for that matter.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: July 19, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »

i thought he was jewish, no?
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: July 19, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »

Jew actor converts
Nope - not so strange.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2007, 04:01:22 PM »

Anyone watch Scrubs? 

Saw it a few times when it first came out and I recall liking it, but fror whatever reason I guess not enough to go our of my way to catch it and I never seem to. 

Sort of the same thing with a few other shows.   The Office...   My Name is Earl...  Both pretty good shows, but I just never seem to know when they are on and can't quite get the energy to spend the time looking for them...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »

Does anyone know how and where to get DVD's (or even old videos) of the series Route 66, the first series with Martin Millner and George Maharis?

Great Show.

They later cut that series in half and called it "Then Came Bronson."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »

<knee slap>... <gufaaw>

you see, Then Came Bronson was basically the same show but only had "one" guy (instead of two)  and he only had two wheels (instead of four) as they had him on a motorcycle...

I'll be here all week...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: